Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tight Fit
#9728 04/03/03 09:36 PM
ajb Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
My entertainment center is not centered in the room - it is on the long wall near one end of the room. It is a very bad setup sonically, but I have no other choices. The right side is about 2 feet from the wall and the left side is open with no wall for about 12 feet. The side wall of the entertainment center is about 24 inchs deep. I was thinking that a M60 might have a lot of problems on the right side in this tight area due to boundry problems and will sound different than the one on the left. It also can't be moved outward because a sofa is fairly close on the side wall. Did I mention that this was a bad situation? I was wondering if a M22 might be a better solution, although I really would have preferred a tower. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? I should add that I have a SVS sub, so I have the low end covered very nicely.

Last edited by ajb; 04/03/03 09:40 PM.
Re: Tight Fit
#9729 04/03/03 10:39 PM
veteran
veteran
I can't speak to your specific size and space issues (although I can definitely relate, as I live in a NYC apartment), but I think most people on this board would tell you that if you had to go with the M22's rather than the M60's, particularly since you have an SVS sub, you would still enjoy outstanding performance, and would not be sacrificing much. Many people think the M60's and M22's are the best main speakers from Axiom, and as an owner of the M22's, I can tell you they are awesome. Beautiful sound. So, I guess, if you can swing the M60's, go for those, but if not, the M22's with an SVS sub should leave you very happy for both music and home theater.

Last edited by gem41573; 04/03/03 10:40 PM.
#9730 04/04/03 12:38 AM
ajb Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I agree. It seems that that M60 and M22 are the most popular.

I would prefer a tower because I would rather not have speaker stands (mainly for cosmetic reasons, do you hear WAF?), but I think the boundary issues with a M60 in tight quarters is going to be a problem since I believe they need some open space. Anyone else have a similar situation or comments on whether this can work or not?

#9731 04/04/03 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I put out a post before stating that the M60s were not made for small rooms. I stick to that statement but with reservations.
My room is not very wide and i was limited in the distance of separation between my m60s (about 5 to 6 feet).
When i had the opportunity (albeit awkward) to move the speakers 10 feet apart, i was very pleased at how much wider the soundstage had become and how much more the sound filled the room.
However, this configuration would not work because of a lopsided sound effect based on my off-centred RPTV.
All that aside, i've also found the distance from the listening position to the speakers rather critical. Once again my setup would only allow for an 8 foot distance b/w my position and the speakers. I've gone around the room and tested out various listening distances and i feel that my couch would be more ideally placed at about the 10 to 14 foot distance from the M60s.
My speakers, much like one of yours, are also tucked into a corner with about a foot of space on either side. There certainly is an enhancement of bass and some echo off the walls but there isn't much i can do with it until i move to a new house.

Given your situation, i think either speaker will work, however you may have an easier time setting up the M22 speakers to better accomodate your smalliish room. If you go with the M60s, you may want to expect a less than optimal setup although you will certainly get a larger volume sound than the M22s.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#9732 04/04/03 08:32 PM
devotee
devotee
Still liking the rptv chess?

#9733 04/04/03 10:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm still getting used to it that's for sure.
I'm also still tempted to give the standards tweakers a call someday.

#9734 04/04/03 10:26 PM
ajb Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Chesseroo, thanks for the info. I think I have about 10-11 feet between the speakers (width of entertainment center) and I have not measured the distance from the speakers to the listening position, but I would guess it is about 12 feet. My main concern is the the speaker on the right side will be in a two foot wide space between the side wall of the entertainment center and the wall of the room. I am trying to determine if this will not be a good setup for a M60.

#9735 04/04/03 10:40 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
In reply to:

My main concern is the the speaker on the right side will be in a two foot wide space between the side wall of the entertainment center and the wall of the room. I am trying to determine if this will not be a good setup for a M60

I don't know that this would be much more of an issue for the M60 than the M22, really. My only advice would be, make sure the front of the speaker is not behind the front edge of the entertainment center. It should be even with the entertainment center, or better yet slightly in front of it. Even a few inches out it front could make a noticeable improvement, assuming WAF allows for that.

#9736 04/05/03 12:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
ajb,
I understand your concerns but really, don't be TOO concerned.
Here is a link to my basement situation
my basement

As you can see, the M60 on the right is in a rather limited area very close to 2 walls. Although there is something of an echoed effect off the wall (it is wallboard on top of cement behind it) i certainly can say the sound of the M60 is just fine.
I also tested out the M22s before i had the big screen tv and for music, they just didn't fill out the room enough for my liking. They would have been perfect if i were only using my system for home theatre. Other than that, they will sound alot like the M60 with the exception of the bass extension as i mentioned in a previous post.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 687 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup