You are going to regret!!!
Sincerely,
Octavian

Re: Axiom for Father's day
#99765 06/25/05 02:44 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi again, JohnK!
How about the fabulous lab measurements for the 7300?
Regards,
Octavian
P.S.Reading those mesurements I could not understand why the manufacturer does not list the specs accordingly?Where does this difference come from?And why?

#99766 06/25/05 04:36 AM
shareholder in the making
Hi again, Octavian! Hope that since Christmas you've been enjoying a lot of the beautiful music available to us in our world. Yes, the 7300 is certainly an excellent performer; my point to Pete was that there was less than a 2dB difference in maximum output between it and the 635, which wasn't likely to be significant.

As to why the HK specs seem relatively conservative(and the same is true of the 635 and its 630 predecessor; I've seen lab measurements on the order of 200 watts into 4ohms), HK(and all other manufacturers) has to use a rating under the FTC regulations which require that the amp be run for at least 5 continuous minutes at the full rated power, which is in effect a laboratory torture test which would never be even remotely duplicated in home use. Bernard(the rat)and I have discussed this in some recent posts that might interest you. Beyond this, HK chooses to give an "all channels driven" rating, which results in a lower number than the 2 channels driven which is the basic requirement under the FTC reg. Still further, it appears that HK uses a number from well before(maybe 10% less power)the point where the distortion curve begins to turn up. The few organizations which actually do lab tests instead of just making silly comments about the "sound" of an amp use different(and probably more realistic for home use)measuring procedures than those required by the FTC and this generally results in higher power numbers, but all manufacturers have to give the numbers according to the protocol in the FTC reg. At least we know that when we're looking to buy, the rated power specs are accurate, if not a bit conservative.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#99767 06/25/05 05:13 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi JohnK!
It is a pleasure to read your posts!
I am enjoying my (sic!)music indeed...opera, classical,etc...it is a dream!
Yu're saying ..."...use different measuring procedures...resulting in different values..."I give up, I am a mechanical engineer, the music is only my greatest passion...If you measure a piece of wood for istance, using two different methods ( a tape as opposed to...laser, let's say)how could you get two different values? Am I doing a mistake by this comparison?

All the best,
Octavian

#99768 06/25/05 05:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Pete
Congratulations! She's a keeper. My wife and kids asked me what I wanted for father's day and I told them money to go towards my speakers. They said no that's too impersonal. I said no it is not impersonal it is the best gift I could receive. Well I got to say I was expecting the usual shirt and pants routine. When the gifts came out things we're looking good. All I saw were cards. I was hoping the wife would give me a hundred or two towads the speakers. I opened the card and there were 5 100 dollar bills in there. So I am so close now I can taste them. We have got to remember to be especially good to them. No not daily dusting and polishing of the speakers. I'm talking about the wives.
They will be there before you know it. Enjoy!
later,
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#99769 06/26/05 12:00 AM
Yeah Octavian, if that piece of wood doesn't measure the same either the tape measure or laser may have problems. Doing lab tests on amps, it wouldn't be the measuring instruments that would differ significantly, but factors which the measurers pick, such as how long a period for each power level, how many channels being operated simultaneously, at what distortion level, etc.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082