Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
My mom is running right now!
#358087 11/05/11 01:39 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
As I'm typing this message, my mom (my sister is accompanying her) is running in Ajax as part of the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay team that's going across Canada to raise money and awareness for spinal cord injuries. Contestants had to write a story, and she wrote something about me. As a result, she's one of the lucky 7000 that were chosen.

I met Rick and Christopher Reeve when I was in Toronto Western Hospital. My neurosurgeon Dr. Charles Tator, who's one of the leading neurosurgeon's in the world (some may have seen him on Hockey Night in Canada or TSN talking about concussions), spearheaded The Spark of Life Campaign, and asked me to attend the ribbon cutting press conference, thus meeting Chris and Rick.

I have a soft spot for Dr. Tator. It truly is amazing that I survived, and as a result he became close to me and my family. He actually uses my X-rays and MRI's in his seminars like this one (it's at the 18 minute point (bicycle accident) ).

So long story short, my mom is awesome!

Here's the email she received -

"Congratulations Jennifer!

The Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay team are pleased to confirm you are a Medal-Bearer in our nation-wide Relay. Your unique story of making a difference is creating positive change in the lives of others. Our team is excited to have you join us on the road as we retrace Rick's legendary route across Canada passing the Rick Hansen Medal from one person to the next.

....Medal-Bearer Items

The opportunity to carry the Rick Hansen Medal is a special honour that is made even more memorable by the unique, limited-edition items that you will receive.

At the meeting point you will receive an official Rick Hansen Relay uniform created by Nike. This uniform is only available for Medal-Bearers and will be an iconic piece of this nationwide journey. The uniform consists of a lightweight yellow jacket, dark pants and a toque. You will also receive a commemorative medal produced by the Royal Canadian Mint. This medal is a symbol of appreciation and recognition for "Difference Makers" and encourages you to continue on your journey of creating positive change in the lives of others."

Thanks for listening,

Cam

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Re: My mom is running right now!
Ya_basta #358090 11/05/11 02:02 PM
O
onn Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
O
I send my congrats out to your mom Cam. I hope she enjoys her part in this relay.

Ya_basta #358093 11/05/11 06:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think we already knew that your family is awesome! Congrats to the whole CamFam! Call me crazy, but I think awareness/fund-raising relays and marathons should have a motorized division. There are more than a couple of guys here with the skills to insure your victory. Get pushy about it. And tell the organizers you want prize money!

Didn't Dedsmond Dixon have a hit in the 70's with "The Israelites?"

Last edited by BobKay; 11/05/11 06:59 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #358109 11/06/11 02:09 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well, my mom had a great time. She called me before and after her run/walk smile. A group of them were going to Toronto to meet Rick, so my mom and sister took an impromptu trip to TO. I'm sure I'll hear all about it tomorrow.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #358183 11/07/11 03:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Pass on my congratulations Cam. It is well deserved!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044