Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Home Security
#393115 05/15/13 03:01 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I thought I'd start a home security thread. I doubt that there is already an existing one, because I don't remember seeing it.

Anyway I wanted to beef up the security in my home to make it harder to break into. So far, I've nailed a back door shut that's never going to be used, and will someday be replaced with a wall. It's at the bottom of an outdoor stairwell that's just a place for storm water to enter the house during severe weather conditions.

Also ordered a Schlage Primus lock for the front door that takes a key to lock/unlock from both sides. It's supposed to be pick and bump proof. But, it looks like ways have been discovered recently to pick and bump them open.

Here's some door armor that I've also found that I might order soon. Costs about $100 per door. Makes the door virtually kick proof.

http://www.kickproofdoor.com/armor.html

Re: Home Security
CatBrat #393116 05/15/13 03:31 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I don't see much reason to install a camera system. Thieves would just smile and wave at the camera as they are making away with your stuff. You wouldn't know who they were and police probably wouldn't know who they were, so why bother.

The only way I can see that a camera system would be useful would be if it could alert you to a break-in via your smart phone and allow you to actually view someone in your home so you know it's not a false alarm.

CatBrat #393117 05/15/13 03:45 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
don't you have guard cats in your house?

CatBrat #393118 05/15/13 03:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi Cat,

With ISPs delving into the security business now, pricing for 'connected' systems is starting to get competitive.

I'm not an expert as I'm not directly involved but I know that my company's system includes all the usual stuff, (door & window sensors, motion sensors, cameras, etc) all of which can send notifications to smartphones or any internet device. Also, you can live view your cameras at home via your smartphone or other device as well. It also provides remote control of your heating/cooling systems, lights or other appliances, if you wish. Your camera feeds are backed up via a secure tunnel to our data center so the crooks can't simply smash your PC, VCR etc. to destroy the footage.

If you shop around, you should be able to find competitive prices in the market right now. At least until the competitive pressure from ISPs trying hard to get into the market balances out and things begin to level out again.

--
Trying to figure out your door that requires a key for both sides though. Why do you want that and what happens if there is a fire or do you have a keypouch sewn into your pajamas?

EDIT:
or a proximity card sewn into his pajamas......
I'm currently laughing hysterically picturing a panicked Brian doing pelvic thrusts to his door trying to get the proximity sensor to unlock his door for his escape.

Last edited by Murph; 05/15/13 04:02 PM. Reason: planting a picture in your heads

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CatBrat #393119 05/15/13 04:03 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Murph, we have a deadbolt that works the same way. The idea is that someone can't smash the window in a front door and just reach in and turn the deadbolt.

Because of the same concerns (fire, etc) we just leave the key in it all the time. Kind of defeats the purpose, huh?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #393120 05/15/13 04:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Mark.
I guess I grasped the concept of why, just not the practicality of it.

In your case, you just need to train Buddy to race down and grab the inner key on command.

You will probably want to train Buddy to do that fairly soon as I told Charles that you were secretly related to Regina Spektor and that she would be staying with you on vacation next week.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CatBrat #393122 05/15/13 04:46 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
We have 3 Guard Cats plus a minimal (3 zone), monitored ($30/month) ADT Security System. Our house is a bit unique in that there is only 1 entrance in the front in full view of the street. Anyone coming in through a back, ground level window to get upstairs would have to pass through the front foyer where the motion detector is located. The 110Db horn there would take out their ear drums.

Not the greatest protection but it seems to have worked for over a decade. Perhaps it is the ADT 'yard signs' & 'window decals' that deter the amateur cretins...

TAM

CatBrat #393124 05/15/13 05:32 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'm having second thoughts on having the inside part of door lock keyed. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. If someone broke in some other way, window, etc. they wouldn't be able to just open the door and make out with the stuff. That's my reasoning. There's no window in the door that would allow them to break and reach in to unlock it. I would have a key hidden somewhere nearby that I could access in case of an emergency. Or just throw a chair through the main living room window, or just open a window for that matter, and crawl out.

Or walk across the room and exit through the sliding doors.
Or kick a hole in the wall, and just exit through the wall. (Hoping there's no nails driven in through the outside that's now inline with my foot.)

CatBrat #393125 05/15/13 05:37 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Guard cats have a difficult time mustering up courage.

CatBrat #393127 05/15/13 05:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
As tech outpaces our ability to control it I would not install a camera...Unless it was not connected to a telephone, cable or wireless system.
The idea that someone halfway around the world could watch me ruined it for me.
Our system got tested on the weekend. They called the house 3 minutes after the alarm, my cell 5 minutes after the alarm and the RCMP called 5 minutes after I confirmed the false alarm.
I was hoping the response time would have been better.
The wife is home alone (with the kids) alot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters