Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Receiver caught fire!!!
#157877 02/08/07 02:12 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok guys I don't post much but when I do you're always full of wisdom. Ok I own a Harman Kardon AVR 7300, which was their flagship model a few years back. I bought it from buyriteelectronics.com and I always had my suspicions that it was a reconditioned unit due to it being so cheap at the time.

While operationally speaking I always loved the performance but their were definitely some quarks. ie. the volume would go up at will sometimes and I was afraid to leave the room for fear of it blowing my axioms or the unit itself. It also made some funny noises every once in a while.

Last week I was in our media room doing a little work on my computer while listening to AM Radio (at an extremely low volume) when I noticed my dog just staring at the H/K. I didnt think much of it until I heard a long hiss and then a poof. I looked over my shoulder and saw a 1 ft. tall flame coming out of the unit. I'm scared sh!tless and fear touching it to get the power off because I might be electrocuted. So I kick the power button and throw a towel over the top which manages to douse the flames.

After I settled my heart attack and my hands stopped shaking I was thinking what the hell just happened. So I ask the brightest among you. What the hell just HAPPENED! I have it hooked up to the monster power center HTS 5100. So I'm not thinking it was faulty power issue.

Secondly even though I believe its out of warranty doesn't Harman Kardon have some liability here? Had I not been in the room my entire guest house/media room may have burned down. Oh and lastly, I had a party planned the next night so I had to purchase another receiver. I bought the Integra DTR 7.7 and love it. No issues. HDMI. upconversion. THX. and I think it sounds better than my H/K. Looking forward to peoples input. Thanks.

Re: Receiver caught fire!!!
maxatjob314 #157878 02/08/07 02:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

fear touching it to get the power off because I might be electrocuted. So I kick the power button and throw a towel over the top which manages to douse the flames.

.....Because your toes conduct less electricity than your fingers???

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That is really a disappointing story. I'm no expert but it's too bad you didn't return it a few times to have the quirks fixed. At least then you would have a documented history to show it didn't work correctly from day 1. Without that, "out of warranty" may very well mean "out of warranty."

Depending where you live, the store you bought it from probably had a legal obligation to inform you if it was indeed refurbished. You might be able to play that angle but the sad truth is that for the time, effort and money to fight a battle over an out of warranty product, it might be just easier to get a new one. I've been there. It's tough to win and I only fought on due to the principal, not for the money as it got beyond the worth of that.

Of course, it never hurts to ask and threaten some pressure over taking further action if need be, if you truly feel you were wronged. They might surprise you and come good....or not.

I have been surprised by the integrity of some shops before. Seems smaller privately owned shops often have more integrity than their big box brothers. I buy locally and small when I can for that reason. Even if it means I pay a bit more.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
maxatjob314 #157879 02/08/07 03:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's what you get for listening to AM radio.

Yikes! Was the place that sould you the receiver an Authorized H/K dealer? If so, I'd give them a call and see what they have to say. Then I'd try H/K directly.

Did you have anything strange hooked up to the receiver? I mean, had you perhaps wired an extra set of speakers in parallel or something otherwise non-standard?

If you bought it from an unauthorized dealer, then there probably isn't a whole lot anyone can do to help.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #157880 02/08/07 04:30 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
mdrew's gonna love this.

I'm so glad nobody was hurt.

Thanks for the tip on the Integra.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #157881 02/08/07 05:05 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
You're a nut Tom....

My guess would be the transformer seeing how you had flames. That would indicate a 120V side failure.

I think you should contact HK directly. If for no other reason, informing them what happened so they can investigate the failure and inform owners if it happens to be a component failure. Now if they actually inform owners is another debate I'm not going to touch......

michael_d #157882 02/08/07 05:29 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
First and formost it's good news the fire did not spread and everyone was safe.

Like Mike says it very well might have been a transformer or a capacitor that went. I too would get a hold of H/K and air my disappointment with the situation. Ya never know in a case like this, they very well might help you out

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #157883 02/08/07 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Any Pics? Inside and out.

Haoleb #157884 02/08/07 06:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
THE CROWD DEMANDS PICTURES!

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #157885 02/08/07 07:22 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I wouldn't open it up at least until I talked to H/K.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #157886 02/08/07 08:08 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok thanks for all the input guys. To answer some questions, no it was not an authorized retailer. That was one of the negatives when a guy had told me this e-tailer had them so cheap. I would love to provide some dramatic pics but the flames (although dramatic in effect) didn't produce any scorching. So props to the encasement!! Just wish the inside was built as well. Also, I have all the normal things hooked up. HD Directv DVR. DVD Player. Mini Disc. Homedock Ipod. And no wires were exposed and or crossed. Oh and I was wearing rubber soled shoes so I thought maybe they wouldn't conduct. I guess I'll never know if I would have been electrocuted.

I have sent HK a nice long email for no other reason than to see what they say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup