Print Thread
Rate Thread
Time to say so long to the SuperZeroes
#1786 02/23/02 09:06 AM
chip Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I hate doing it, but I've come to the conclusion that 7 years is a long enough life for my NHT SuperZeroes. They sit in our living room, hooked up to an SW1P 8" "Sub" and NAD integrated, Pioneer DVD and Project 1.2 TT (Grado Red Cartridge). I guess I'm looking for a bit more clarity and fullness and lack of compression when things are cranked up a bit. I'm disappointed by the miniaturization of instruments sometimes and with the sort of "hooded", or veiled sound I think they impart to LPs in particular. Axiom's rep for smooth trebles and transparency has me here asking for your input.
I have two possible directions to go here. One involves a direct replacement of the SZs with the M1 or M2. Will the M2 provide a noticeable edge over the M1 in the area of fullness of sound (maybe I'm talking about the lower mids area) and volume and large scale dynamics potential? They would be hooked up with the high -level method, for which the Sub has a built in high pass at 105 HZ- with the SZs in mind. So I guess it's a M1 vs M2 shootout in the living room, as I wouldn't have room for the 3s.
My other option would be to bring the SuperOnes up from the basement, where they are very happily mated with an NAD C340 and NAD cdp. They sound better than the SZs in the living room in most areas, except that the Zeroes "disappear" better (they're great at that).The basement void could then be filled by the M3s.
It boils down to the question of whether the upstairs or downstairs systems stand to gain the most from an Axiom addition. Both are mostly music, but the upstairs system does Saturday night movie duty. I listen more downstairs- no wife down there. I'm currently pretty content with the basement system.
Maybe another question is whether the M3s are just so much better than the 1s or 2s that they just have to be the ones purchased. Thanks!

And BBIBH...
#1787 02/23/02 07:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know some of that hooded, veiled LP quality is a result of the source- not to mention the phono stage and the hundreds of plays some of the albums have had and the perhaps lousy quality of the recording/pressing. But bassless minimonitors seem to be particularly lousy on LP, at least at my house. The SuperOnes sound much better with the LPs.
(I'm chip, but forgot to login and didn't want to login and repost.)

Re: And BBIBH...
#1788 02/23/02 10:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Gee....I am not sure what to make of that! I have decided to take it as a comment, not an insult. Correct me if I am wrong.

My thoughts were not about your systems or sources, but about the speakers. I agree that mini's are difficult to adjust to, especially the bass. I an fond of the NHT models, and think your line of questioning revolves around - "Are the Axiom's better than the NHT models". Difficult to say, because they are both good quality models and brands. I am not as familiar with the Super line as I am with the Music series (1.5, 2.5, 2.9, 3.3) models. I can deduce that they are made to similar standards. I will also state that in a purely audio system, I am not a big separate sub fan. Another factor is that the Axioms are approx 5-7 db more efficient than the NHTs if memory serves.

Is there a local dealer for you to compare? I understand Axiom offers an excellent return policy, but a comparison could be arranged if you had a local dealer.

It seems you are happy with the basement system, but not with the upstairs system. Why not leave the basement alone and concentrate on "fixing" the upstairs? Your systems sound balanced, but you don't care for the upstairs. Your budget and space limitations are factors you considered already. I would be hesitant to alter too much - or many systems at one time.

Now, about those sources....... ;)

Regards,

BBIBH

#1789 02/24/02 04:17 PM
chip Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Definitely not an insult! Maybe ever so slightly teasing, but written with a smiley face all the way.
You basically said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" re: the basement system and I did have a great little listening session last night. I t would be hard to monkey with it. (By the way, I swear it has been bettter, better, better since the addition of the Custom House Barracuda speaker cables joined the system. Don't spose I could pick 'em out blind in a quickie test, but the slight upper-mid, lower treble irritation I used to get is gone and the bass is "reach out and touch" at times- never used to think that.)

#1790 02/24/02 05:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well I can take the teasing....especially from someone who is looking for audio excellence!

You may well be hearing a difference, especially when compared to your previous cables. I would guess they were of minimum quality, and these are better. There are several areas they could be better:
1) Electrically : leading to a different load in the circuit,
2) By replacing cables, you made the connections solid - this is an area all audiophiles should check, as loose connections can cause problems in the sound
3) Psychoacoustic Phenomena: you spent money on cables, so you WANT or EXPECT them to make a difference, and convince yourself they DO make a difference - also called a Self Serving Bias.

I would suggest it is all 3 factors, with all due respect to double blind listening tests. If the difference is that pronounced, test a couple of friends or relatives.

Make sure you also have quality interconnects, another issue that is not audible according to tests. ;)

Regards,

BBIBH

On the cables
#1791 02/25/02 06:21 AM
chip Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Here's what happened: I was not even in the market for cables. I had a pair of 10 guage cables from LAT International and never gave the higher priced spread any thought. (I'm no big high end guy.) A neighbor college kid is something of an entreprenuer and is sort of a dealer. One day he brought over 4 sets of cables and says, "Do me a favor and see if any of these grab you." I don't see much difference on the first three and I think the Tara Labs cable might possibly be a little annoying- too upfront, maybe. Then I check out these gray cables, not even knowing what they were. After a while I'm thinking the system is smoother and the bass is more palpable. I take them out and the magic is gone and the system seems dirtier, more irritating. After doing this a few more times I keep getting this satisfying reaction and find out they are Custom House Cable Barracudas. I found their website and read a review that sounded similar to my experience. Maybe I wasn't so crazy. I had him get me a pair. I missed not having them and was happy again when my own pair came.
Again, I would have no faith in my ability to discern the difference in a blind test. But the things that annoyed me about my system are virtually gone. The neghbor kid says the SuperOnes sound better than they have in other systems he's heard. (And it is a paneled and plaster basement room with tile floor and less than ideal placement.) I may be crazy, but the placebo effect is very pleasing.

Re: On the cables
#1792 02/25/02 06:29 AM
chip Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I should point out, I got 'em for cost. Had they been retail, I would have sadly waved bye-bye and reminded myself I'm a working class non-hero and father of three

Re: On the cables
#1793 02/25/02 03:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We all have priorities in life, and I applaude you for having them in the correct order. Family ALWAYS comes first, something I feel as well for my family.

It is nice when you can audition pieces in your own environment. I have had the luxury of audtioning every piece I own, and some I don't in my own controlled listening room. Some people are not afforded this luxury, so I make good use of it.

I dare say that I could not pick any of my systems pieces out in a test, but as you stated, you heard a difference....and you could tell what was a better sound to you. That is most important. I have done many hours of hard labour listening to different combinations of pieces, and the cables are the most baffling. I can tell you I hear a difference, but can not tell you exactly what and why. So do I place stock in what I am told? I really take my cues from what I hear, as I have posted many times.

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020