I've seen a few people talk about bi-amping their speakers on this forum, and in speaker reviews on other review websites, and it's prompted a question:

Some of these folks say they're using the Speaker A and Speaker B outputs on their receivers (for those that have multiple speaker outputs, anyway) to "bi-amp" their speakers. Does this make any real sense? Can it possibly provide any benefit beyond bi-wiring? After all, the signal is most definitely *not* coming from two different amplifiers, right? It seems to me the only thing they're doing is providing separate leads to the woofers and the midrange/tweeters (or to the woofers/midrange and the tweeters - depending on the speaker's design), precisely the same thing as bi-wiring, but with the addition of another bit of circuit run inside the receiver being added to the signal path.

Am I nuts here? Is it me, or is it them? I mean, I know that actual bi-amping can have the potential for sonic benefits, but surely this way can't possibly have that effect, can it?

Craig