Having a somewhat weird problem with sound: A while back the Directv DVRs (hr 21 and hr 22) seemed to begin to act up, there would be no sound during commercials on certain channels, and no sound for certain programmatic material (e.g., 101 and similar Directv content channels). I thought it was a Directv issue, called tech support and they suggested it might be the HDMI cable, one reason this doesn't seem to make sense is that I have sub channel content, just not the rest of the audio, and of course because only certain programmatic material was affected; this didn't seem to fit with a faulty HDMI cable, much less 2 or 3 faulty cables (see below for additional sound problems).

Now I've noticed that there is also no sound (i.e., sub only) on bluray Coming Attractions (Shutter Island, Girl With the Dragon Tatoo) even though blu ray program material itself is present with full sound (blu ray is Sony s350), so I'm wondering of the receiver (Denon 3808CI) is the problem?

Another example would be Directv Channel 5, which in Dallas is NBC (or one of the 3 major networks), commercials have no sound and you can watch TV shows via live feed, however if you record a program to DVR, there is no sound upon playback.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, not sure where to begin to identify the culprit.

PS Decided to upgrade the firmware on the 3808, perhaps something has changed with the audio processing standards because it appears to be newer program material/blu ray discs that are not being processed correctly, will post back if anything gets solved after the firmware update.

Last edited by SatKartr; 08/07/10 09:19 PM. Reason: Post Script

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."