Axiom Home Page
Read this.

www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222525&highlight=Revenge

I am about halfway through the thread which goes back a few months. I don't read the spoiler boxes by the way. 2 thoughts.
1. Some interesting discussions and insight.
2. Some Star Wars fans take this stuff WAY too seriously.

Just a heads up for those needing more Episode 3 stuff.
Holy crap! You'd think it was a beer thread...
You guys obviously did not (mis)spend your pre-teen and teen years wishing you could could be a jedi, writing fan-fiction, or tattooing starwars symbols to your body. A New Hope was the very first movie I saw in a theater (I was 5 going on 6). The Empire Strikes Back was even better. I'll leave Jedi alone except to say "Gold Bikini". The last two movies kinda sucked (a lot) on the plot and acting levels, but when something has that kind of impact on you at that age it is imprinted into your DNA. No matter how hard you try you cannot resist (the power of the...).

jr
I get the attraction but it doesn't look appealing:

1) Talking about it in public where chicks are around
2) When you're a grown man...unless you're a grown man at a Renaissance fair.

As a side note, did anyone see the Arrested Development when they had George Michael doing the Jedi video like the fat kid from Canada? HILARIOUS. Of course, that'll get cancelled like all my favorite shows like Newsradio and Sports Nite.
News Radio was one of my favorites. Super Karate Monkey Death Car was one of the best television comedy episodes ever aired on American television. Online I was known as Macho Donkey for quite a long time (gaming nic and such). Season 1 and 2 finally out on DVD. On my list to buy.

jr
HA HA! I also like the one where they had smart Matthew, Smatthew.
"Gold Bikini"

Is it just me or does that look slightly photoshopped ? Nice pic anyways...
I would say there is some pretty heavy "touch-up" in that photo.
My guess was a new body (or head, depending on where you are looking ).
Yeah i really liked news radio. I miss Phil Hartmans comedy he was great.
TNT: Yeah, don't click on those spoiler boxes. I made the mistake of clicking on one about a week ago that gave specific details of...well, I'm sure you get the picture, so I'll end it there. I don't know if you've finished it yet; but, if not, try to avoid anything after page 80.

The "Saga" thread isn't safe anymore either.
I missed Hartman too. John Lovitz wasn't even CLOSE. Although, Puddy's character line was pretty good.

Sadly, he was one of the SNL alumni who died by someone else's hand.
Yeah no doubt. I read a few of the spoiler boxes early in the thread and then wished I hadn't. I already know more than I want to (well if they are true I suppose ). I haven't finished it yet so thanks for the heads up.
Bill Hunt, the owner of The Digital Bits, has posted his thoughts on the episode III script. Granted it's only the script but it is an interesting read. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
www.thedigitalbits.com
Thanks for posting that TNT. Only a little over a month to go.
Forgot to post this last time, but a few TV spots are up at the OS.
Saw them the other day. Of the two "new" ones, I like one - it shows some nice energy and enthusiasm I thought was missing from the other prequels. On the other hand, the other one doesn't look so hot, particularly in the visuals department.
yeah, not a real big fan of the "lava surfing" shot. though i guess seeing it not in context could be affecting my opinion. hopefully it'll look better in the movie as a whole
So we're all agreed then... the Gold Bikini was George's most significant contribution to the art of film-making.
I'm sure the scene will play better in the theater once the shots have been tweaked a bit more. The visuals that have been show so far have been spectacular.
That would be extreme mass toy merchandising.
Yeah, Ash. I totally agree about the lava surfing. Not only does the idea seem bad, but the visuals were kind of terrible, too. I don't know if it was a bad compositing job, or a case of unfinished effects, but that sh*t looks pretty terrible. I'm hoping that this one won't have too many gimmicky action stunts, like "lava surfing" by the way.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Star Wars dork - member of the fan club and all (literally a card carrying member). But that shot alone frightens me to think that our "duel" might not be as cool as we want it to be....

On a separate side-note, I've even seen a single episode of Star Trek or any of their movies - Pickard just happens to be my last name...

I have some other issues about the choices made - calling the clones by names kind of ruins "TK-14" and the whole nameless, faceless, expendable drone that you can kill because he doesn't have an identity or a soul. Showing their faces and giving them names was a bad choice.
I have loved everything I have seen from the trailers and tv spots so far.....except that lava surfing. I agree, it looks cheesy.

Just an update on some related topics. I was quite surprised at this:
www.theforce.net/episode3/story/C3_Star_Wars_TV_Show_Info_Recap_91637.asp
I was shocked Lucas would direct the first season. I would have thought he wanted to be done with Star Wars. I was also surprised that the show would take place between Episodes 3 and 4. I figured Lucas would want to go at a time far before the saga or far after. I am torn about a live action tv show. It could be really good or really awful. Hehe, maybe like the two trilogies now?

Not surprised at some of this and annoyed with a new DVD box set release:
www.theforce.net/episode3/story/C3_More_from_George_Lucas_at_Media_QA_91615.asp
I wondered why Mr. Lucas would hold out the original trilogy deleted scenes from the initial release. I guess it is so you would have to buy ANOTHER big box set to get them.

The release of another box set was, and has been, expected for some time; so, no surprise for me there. Getting the new box set with all six movies in HD-DVD will be cool.

Regarding the trailers, yeah, this is going to be one exciting, fun, tragic, and sad movie. I don't know about you, but for the last few weeks I have stayed away from any more spoilers. I think I have already know too many specifics. The lava "surf" scene doesn't have me concerned on way or the other since every SW movie has something like that in it that's kinda cheesy. I'd rather focus more on what I like.

As for the TV series, makes no difference to me who directs them, just as long as they are as great as the five (soon to be six) movies that came before.
I am sure the rerelease of the saga is standard DVD with the addition of the bonus disc. I am sure there is a High Definition release planned for somewhere down the line, but with the format war looming, good chance it could be on hold for awhile. If history is any indication, Lucas will wait for the dust to settle before his puts the films out in Hidef.
It'll happen for sure according to insiders, just a question of when. I'll still be picking up what ever is put out in between though. Still have all the original LD's, the Definitive Collection, the "faces" LD's, the SE Box Set, and the Japanese LD import of TPM.

Regarding ROTS, I got in both the Obi-Wan and Anakin Lightsaber replicas from MR over the last couple weeks. Been looking forward to these for a while. Can't wait for the Sideous saber and the ROTS Vader helmet.
Did you guys see this? Kevin Smith has his review up for Episode III. Be warned though, spoilers and language ahead. I skimmed most of it because I didn't want to read the spoilers. You get the gist of what he thinks about the movie in the first sentence.

viewaskew.com/news/sith/
Yeah, I'm avoiding spoilers too, but I read the first part of that. Gotta say I'm not surprised though, this one is going to be the best of the saga. It'll be interesting to see what Kevin does with his part of the TV series too.
Just talked to a friend of mine and found out I may have a chance to view episode III before it releases to the public. This great friend of mine, has a friend that manages one of the movie theaters in Des Moines, IA. He is planning on having a bunch of his buddies over for a private showing, I have a good chance of being included. This totally rocks...
Wow.

A new video from the official site featuring new scenes with music from the movie. Some of the footage is from the two previous trailers but quite a bit of it is new.
www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/trailer/10.html
I was offered an opportunity to see it on May 14... I don't even know when the release date is supposed to be. I turned it down. Does that make me bad?
uhhh yeah!! the release date is the 19th, so a 14th date would be awesome if only because you wouldn't have to brave the line for what i'm sure will be hours. the wife and i already have tickets for the midnight showing on the 18th/19th. it kinda blows that i have work the next day though. TNT-that music video up on the official site is the video that's coming out on DVD with the soundtrack in two days, so if you''ve got a dial-up connection(like my antiquated self) you might just wanna wait a few.
Yeah I watched it already. High speed DSL is nice for stuff like this.

It appears that John Williams has once again delivered a fine score. No surprise there.
That's awesome sirquack! And I thought I was lucky to be able to see it a day before release.

Regarding the ROTS soundtrack, I found out that a retailer near me has these out on the shelves now so I'll be picking mine up tonight sometime. Can't wait to check out the bonus DVD.
I was too curious not to click on the Kevin Smith review. If what he says is true, the movie is going to be VERY GOOD.

Here's a "spoilers removed" quote from the beginning of his review:

----------

"Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, [censored] awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying. As dark as "Empire" was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of [removed], to the jaw-dropping [removed], this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching "Othello" or "Hamlet".
Argh! now I have to buy the midnight tickets instead of the May 19 afternoon.
In reply to:

midnight tickets

i think i will wait for the crowds to thin out a bit. i can wait til the second week, probably on a tuesday afternoon, when no one is there..

for the last few weeks, we have been watching the original three on DVD. my son(7yrs), doesnt quite get the whole connection and the storyline between the characters, but he knows luke is good and darth vader is bad. i am sure once he is older, it will all make more sense.. but, he and my wife are very excited to see the 'SITH', and it should be a great family outing. might even make a stop at 31 flavors!!

bigjohn
bigjohn- well you could always go to the midnight show and then see it again (at a matinee price!) some afternoon later. it's just too much fun to be out there with all the geeks (the one's more hardcore than me frankly scare me) and see it with an enthusiastic crowd.
I had the misfortune of seeing AOTC opening night at the Ziefeld Theater in NYC, the same place where Triumph the Insult Comic made fun of the fans standing in line for the 12AM show. It was a freak show and I could barely enjoy the film because most of the people there had seen the movie 3 times already and would yell things to the screen or recite lines along with the characters. I am thinking I will wait the first Monday and see it in the late afternoon.
A-[censored]-men! I will no longer see movies that have a cult following on opening week. Too much freakshow action, not enough theater silence.
I couldn't agree more with you and Royce on this. At the risk of dating myself, when Rocky Horror first came out many moons ago it was a great show to go see. I saw it many times while in high school. A few years later I get to University and go see it for old times sake. Well holy cow, I couldn't hear a thing with all the toast, decks of cards and water flyin through the air and everyone yelling "slut" and stuff all the time.

The crowd was entertaining in a "I can't believe the freak show happening here" kind a way, but it was a waste as far as going to see the movie was concerned.
My "I can't believe the freak show happening here" moments while waiting on line for AOTC :

1) Two regularly dressed guys discussing the actual temperature of carbonite

2) Two saber-wielding fans discussing the actual length of time it would take to fully complete Jedi training as if it was actually possibly to become a Jedi(I think they agreed 12 years)

3) One fan talking to himself about how he hoped they showed the Spider-Man trailer so he could "boo" it (never mind Spider-Man had already grossed $275 million by then so there would be no trailer)

4) Before the movie started, there was an on-screen animation that let us know that we were watching AOTC on a digital projector. Fans got out of their seats and cheered.

I can only wonder what kind of freakshow is going on at the Chinese Theater now, especially since the fans are lining up at the wrong theater.
my wife and one of her college girlfriends went to the midnight showing of the last 'lord of the rings' movie. she told me similar stories of the people in line.. thats the exact kinda stuff i am trying to avoid.

but, she did say that amongst all the weirdness factor, it was kinda cool to have all these people who were soo passionate about a movie. even so, i dont think she is in no hurry to be first in line for 'sith'.

honestly, the last time i remember standing in a long line to see a movie was for 'raiders of the lost ark'. that was 20 years ago.

bigjohn
The last time for me was the opening of Jaws. That was uhmm..... a long time ago.
I agree. It's the experience that makes it so much fun; and, this is also the last time we will be able to do this with a SW movie. I'll be seeing it a few hours before midnight with 100+ other "hardcore geeks" and then again once a day over the weekend with other friends. May as well see it as many times as I can while it is out in commercial theaters, and unless another SW movie comes out, this is the last movie I will be seeing in a commercial theater.

Also got the ROTS soundtrack today, and watched the Musical Journey DVD that came with it a bunch of times. The bonus DVD was nicely done and that alone was worth the purchase.
i'm actually listening to mine now as a matter of fact! that dvd is pretty cool, but it seemed like Ian McDiarmid would rather been anywhere else than doing the intros for it! favorite new shot is of Obi-Wan leaping from the skidding fighter, that was just f-in awesome.

but i do understand where the rest of y'all are coming from, it can get annoying, even for me, to have to listen to "those people " totally geek out. but you can always solace yourself with the fact that you have a real life and don't dwell in a fictional world 90% of the time.
LOL! Yeah, instead they dwell in an A/V forum 90% of the time, myslef included, and I'm not sure that is any better.

I've read about that shot of Obi-Wan leaping from his skidding fighter, but actually seeing it was awesome! There were some other great shots too of the space battle, and the shot of Padme was heart breaking. Good stuff.
In reply to:

the shot of Padme was heart breaking

do you need some tissues?

y'alls whole STAR WARS obsessive/compulsive behavior is starting to freak me out.

i just keep thinking to myself that there cant be too many surprises in this film. i mean, we know where 'new hope' started, and we know where 'clones' left off.. so we know EXACTLY whats got to happen in this movie. now granted, it will probably be filmed very well, and have awesome graphics and effects(duh), but i aint expecting any surprises in the story line.

bigjohn
It is rather like "How did the Chicken Cross the Road"
LOL! Not yet. I might during the movie though.

You're right about there not being too many surprises. Anyone that has seen the OT and EP's 1&2 pretty much knows what is going to happen. There will be a couple definite surprises though, regarding certain characters, for those who haven't followed spoilers. Still, there were just a couple surprises in the OT for me.

Obsessive compulsive? I don't know. I see that lazily thrown around often. Passionate would be more accurate I think. But everyone has a hobby they are passionate about. Hell, I think I have seven.
I was reading online the new issue of Time that has the Star Wars articles in it. I only read about 1/3 of the main article (don't have a subscription) but Hayden Christensen said that George has a few plot twists that he believes will surprise people. I hope this turns out to be true. It seems like Lucasfilm has let more spoilers out with Episode III. Usually they are very tight with that sort of thing. Hopefully there are a few surprises still left in store.
In reply to:

But everyone has a hobby they are passionate about. Hell, I think I have seven

1. Stereo/Home Theater/Music
2. Beer
3. Poker
4. Disc Golf
5. Playing Guitar
6. Camping/Hunting/Outdoors

i only got 6...

bigjohn
Ok, let's see:

Star Wars (Collecting, Movies, etc.) Home Theater (Installation, Calibration and Set-up), Weight Training (myself and others) Boxing/Kick Boxing, My Bike. Took football out since I no longer play or watch it.

TNT: I havne't seen then new time yet. My wife bought the new GQ with Hayden on the cover. Yeah, she's crushin for him big time! Gonna have to pick it up along with the new Playboy with Bai Ling in it.
www.time.com/time/covers/1101050509/index.html

Some cool stuff here. I liked the Star Wars family tree.
Cool! Besides the mags, you getting the books (Visual Dictionary, Cross Sections, Ultimate Visual Guide, etc.)?
May The Merchandising Force Be with You! hell i can't even keep track of all the SW stuff out the stores now. i almost sort of miss the "lean years" back before Heir the the Empire when i could actually afford to get all the SW stuff available. My wife gave me a ration of crap when i dropped the dough for the Episode V Luke lightsaber, i can't even imagine the look i'd get if i tried to get all the sabers like you have.
Oh, I still get the looks now and then too. That's when I pay for a trip to the day spa for her and that usually takes care of it. I also bought her a new CTS at the beggining of the year, so I doubt I'll hear any complaining from her...for a while anyway.
hmmm...maybe i'll try that, i have been looking to get an episode IV obi-wan saber....
MiniRock, you have to teach me that trick. In my house, when I buy stuff for ME, that's money I can't use for HER.
Oh man! I take it you mean the MR Obi-Wan "weathered" saber. Those are going for double, and sometimes triple, the original price right now on eBay. I'm still looking for an MR Han ANH blaster for less than $1000, but haven't had any luck. With all of the EPIII replicas like sabers, Clonetrooper helmets, and Darth Vader helmet, I may have to wait until next year anyway.
Heh! Maybe I'm just lucky. I guess it helps that I do all the house work too though. It's amazing the gratitude a woman shows when she doesn't have to worry about doing laundry or washing dishes.
John
Based on this article you might want to think twice about taking your 7 year old son.

Food for thought.
Interesting. I don't want to reveal any spoilers for those who don't want to know anything more about the flick, but one of the scenes talked about in the article I am very surprised was put in the movie. I had heard rumors about this particular scene being in the movie, and I figured that it would be too intense of imagery for younger viewers. I guess that particular rumor is true.
According to reports I have read, there will be plenty of graphic decapitations and other limb severing. I think the only reason this movie avoids an "R" is because there is no blood, although overseas, I have heard that the ratings are leaning to no one under 15. I was seven when I saw Empire and I remembered how Luke losing his hand gave me some restless nights. I wouldn't take anyone under 10 to see this movie
yep, thats the one. hopefully with all the other stuff thats out there prices will go down on it....yeah right. besides i need to hold off a while to get it anyways, the wife's still a little sore about me dropping ~500 bones on new golf stuff.
Heh, maybe I should sell mine. I haven't used them for a while. Yeah, prices will go down on that prop once the ROTS hype has died down a bit. In a year or two, you should be able to find one much closer to it's original price if not lower.
Adam Jones from the digital bits has his review up for the Episode III soundtrack.
www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewsdvdasacd/starwarsepisode3cd.html

Bill Hunt of the digital bits is supposed to have his Episode 3 review out sometime later today. He loves Star Wars but will be honest in his opinion of the movie. I am curious to see what he gives it. His ratings of the other Star Wars flicks:
A New Hope A
The Empire Strikes Back A+
Return of the Jedi C+
The Phantom Menace C+
Attack of the Clones B
I thought you all might like this article on how lightsabers work and how to use them in your daily life.

I had no idea they exhibited a gyroscopic resistance to motion.
mine for some reason won't ignite...my wife keeps telling me to send it back and get a refund! i saw that acticle on howstuffworks too, i love the pics for the alternative uses. would saved me a lot of time trimming the hedges.
The alternative uses are a bit inconsistent. For example, if you can use a lightsaber to slice and toast a bagel at the same time, wouldn't using one to cut a cake not work too well? I mean, with the high sugar content in cake, anything as hot as a lightsaber would leave a strail of black, carbonized suger in its wake.
naw, the trick is to use cake batter. that way it's all warm and moist, and you never have to worry about the rest of it getting old and stale.
Well Bill Hunt has his review up for Episode III. Interesting reading. Of all the reviews I have read so far, I know I can trust his judgement to at least have some objectivity. He does say Episode III is easily the best prequel (no surprise there) and that Hayden Christensen does a much better job in this film (one of my big worries).
www.thedigitalbits.com/

For those who don't want to read the whole review, here is his revised grades for all six films:
The Phantom Menace: C
Attack of the Clones: C+
Revenge of the Sith: B+
A New Hope: A
The Empire Strikes Back: A+
Return of the Jedi: B-
I haven't been reading this thread because I don't want to hear all the talk going into it or see any spoilers...I just wanted to note that I got my tickets yesterday. 5/19 at 7:45pm!
i'm one of those dummies with the 0001 5/19 tickets. gonna be a long day at work later that day!
It'll be more than worth it though.

Re: Bill Hunt, he's a self confessed OT purist, so him giving ROTS the "grade" that he did says much. I don't really care for his reviews, if you can even call them that, but it's good to hear he enjoyed the movie. I know I will.
i figure if Kevin Smith and Harry Knowles like it, i'll probably like it. my movie tastes are pretty similar to those guys, so i'm looking forward to it. between the spoilers and book, i know the plot already but it's still gonna be awesome to see it!
"He's a self confessed OT purist, so him giving the ROTS the 'grade' that he did says much."

Excellent point.
Ok guys, it's getting close and I want some "real" world reviews from the board. No spoilers though.
Did anybody catch Darth Maul on Mancow this morning, it was pretty interesting?
I'm seeing it at 12:01 AM, so I can post thoughts tomorrow...
In reply to:

Darth Maul on Mancow

i thought he got cut in half...?

which part was there, the top or bottom.. i guess i should ask if he was talking or farting..?

In reply to:

I'm seeing it at 12:01 AM

i just got an email from a buddy of mine, and they are having a blood drive out in front of the theater.. the first 40 donors get FREE tix to the midnight showing.. he is going at lunch, and asked if i wanted to meet him up there.. i am gonna pass..

i am gonna wait a week or so, and let the crazies clear out, then go with my wife.

bigjohn
oh man that sucks, a friend of mine was supposed to get me some for the 12:01 showing, he was to late, they sold out. I am going Thursday evening at 9:30pm now, unless you have extra tickets
Sorry man, no extra tickets. I got mine on the 6th just to make sure. Actually, this will be my first "midnight" show for any movie. One of the guys at work talked me into it and is meeting me tonight at the theater. Should be fun...
Just got back from the midnight show. I don't want to give anything away, and I really need to try to get to sleep (got to work in 5 hours), but Star Wars E3:ROTS was very good.

They dropped a lot of the cheesy things that they had in E1 and E2, but left a couple of humorous parts.

Questions are answered, stories are tied together.

Best part (Spoiler, don't read any more unless you want to know something about the movie, even though it is pretty minor)....
Jar Jar only gets about 10 seconds on screen max, and doesn't speak! YIPPY!!!!

Anyway, if you even remotely liked E1 or E2, you should really enjoy E3. Go check it out! By now all of the Star Wars fanatics should be gone, so you will be safe to see it without your lightsaber (which the guy from work I saw it with brought his mice Parks Saber and it was cool to see it in the dimly lit theater before the show, and even cooler outside afterwards at 2:30AM...)

In reply to:

even cooler outside afterwards at 2:30AM

...and even cooler for the guys who managed to sneak in flasks of whiskey to pour into their $5 dollar buckets of coke.

one of the guys here at work was talking about all the people at the midnight showing here last night. he said it was a very fun time to be with all those people that were excited about the same thing.. he said almost like a concert atmosphere..

i saw on the news this morning that they are expecting Sith to bring in between $120-130 million by the end of the weekend.. george is sleeping VERY well!!

bigjohn
In reply to:

...and even cooler for the guys who managed to sneak in flasks of whiskey to pour into their $5 dollar buckets of coke.

shoot, the guys behind the wife and i inline were brown-baggin it with double dueces! and there were cops all over the place for crowd control and they didn't even care! (the guys in line orand the cops) it was a VERY good movie, at least by SW standards. it did a really good job of tying the prequels to the original trilogy. Plus, Obi-Wan and Yoda were just bada$$ in this movie. i would highly recommend everyone go check it out! but do try to get more than 2 hours of sleep after the show before going to work, needless to say this morning i was dwelling at the coffeepot!
Just saw it last night, got home at 12:30 this morning. Liked it a lot, my mind was going 100mph all night, hard to get to sleep. Work this morning is dragging, can't wait until lunch. At least it is jeans day
I'm glad to see everyone has been enjoying it so much. Can't wait to see it.
Yeah, we had a great crowd at the 12:01 showing. The kids took their MR Anakin FX lightsaber to duel. Had a great time, my kids got in the local newspaper, and the movie...WOW! Easily my favorite of the saga! I've seen it three times and will be seeing it again a few more during the week.
Saw it last night. I've been no fan of the prequels - at all. Big disappointments for me.

ROTS, on the other hand, was pretty good! Not great, mind you, but it just felt like Star Wars for once. Acting somewhat improved, some genuinely moving moments. I look forward to seeing it again.
4th best SW flick ever!

I'd have to say it was a pretty good movie, CGI was simply astounding. Way better than the first two flicks, but still can't touch the org 3.

Simply put, I just feel the org 3 and these new 3 movies are just too disimilar. They each have a different feel, the storys were delivered different so for now on I'm just gonna look at them that way. Actually makes Ep I, II & III more enjoyable to me.
Saw it again tonight. What a phenomenal movie. By far the best space battle in the saga. Looking forward to seeing it again later this week. Man I can't wait for the DVD.
The space battle felt too much like a video game for me to really be engaged by it - the first shot of it, in the atmosphere, was brilliant though.

It's a flawed film in many respects, but it just manages to do enough things right - sometimes pheomenally so (I don't want to talk spoilers, so I'll keep it vague) for me to enjoy it despite its shortcomings.

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
ROTS
TPM
AOTC
Looks like ROTS made $16.5 million just on the midnight showings. Not too bad! From what I've read, it looks like it beat out LOTR:ROTK midnight showings by eight million.
I went to an expert for an opinion - My 13 year old son says ROTS was the BEST of the 6 - and Dad agrees with him.

This is the second movie in the past 20 years I will go to twice in theaters. LOTR:ROTK was the other.
Yeah, my daughter's feel the same way. Some of the things they said were, "Sad, awesome, exciting, and tragic." I remember looking over to my wife during the first showing and she was on the edge of her seat. What is also really cool is the cheering at the beggining and the HUGE applause at the end. Great stuff!
I can't wait to see it. Just gotta hold out til Wednesday. Even though it has only been out 5 days I feel like one of the last ones to see it.
you'll like it TNT, not sure what these other guys are talking about, it ROCKS, just like MiniROCK
Flattery will get you everwhere. LOL!

TNT, sirquack is right, you'll like it. I loved it, and I'm making the trip to see it at a digital theater about three hours away this weekend. Yeah, I know, the sickness is deep.

Anyone else catch it digitally?
18 hours left til the show. Needless to say I'm excited.
yep, i'm rolling up to alexandria (~2 hrs away) to see it in the digital theater too. there's supposedly a shot of "my little green friend" on Dagobah on the digital version.
Sorry to disappoint youm Ash - I saw it at a DLP screening here in NYC and there was no degobah shot.
I just saw it here on an NYC DLP screen also. I think Lucas redeemed himself on this one. My only dissapointment was that we did not see the conversation between Yoda and the "old friend". Hopefully, that will be on the DVD.
I heard a rumor that our brand new IMAX theater may be showing it soon, that would be cool.
Ash - which theater in ALexandria is showing this digitally?

Clue me in - I'm obviously oblivious.
4 hours.

Lucasfilm has said there will be 5-6 deleted scenes on the DVD. I hope one of them is that Dagobah scene that is sometimes shown at the digital screenings.
TNT - what do you mean "sometimes shown" at the digital theaters? From my understanding, while Episode II had a different wedding scene (which included the gold hand) and some additional CG to enhance Jango Fett's demise, Episode III has no such digital additions.

While my information might be incorrect, I followed the news on the making of EPIII pretty close, and have continued to monitor the news and have yet to read that any difference does in fact exist between the celluloid and the digital projection.

I have heard that the digital projection minimizes some of the cg blurring, while also ensuring that the picture isn't degraded (I went to a Thursday showing and the film was already damaged in several places - dissappointing...)

Anyway, I hope that you're right, and I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down hard on you. I just didn't want you to be dissappointed or to be spreading unsubstantiated speculation without some support therefor.

Anyway - I'm excited for you...I find myself enjoying it more after beign away from it, and actually wanting more, now, to go and see it again a second time... now that I know how things turn out.
My bad. I actually don't know either way about the digital screenings just what people had mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's too bad George only wants one version of the film. One with tight editing and pacing. It would be great to see Episode III done like LOTR where you have an extended edition available. Oh well.
In reply to:

4 hours.

What are you still doing here? Go get in line!

I didn't know that EPIII was going to be presented on IMAX though, that's good news. I'm totally looking forward to seeing this digitally too whether there are any additional scenes or not. Speaking of deleted scenes, I know there are a few from the trailer that didn't make it to the film, and there was a couple of Yoda (one on Kashyyk and another on Dagobah) that didn't make it in either. It'll be interesting to see if they make it on to the DVD or not.
Sirquack,
I just shot an email over to the IMAX folks to see if they can tell me anything about it. I'll let you know what I hear.
45 minutes.

Don't worry I am leaving soon. Of course I will have to post my thoughts later tonight.
Thanks Nick,

You know how rumors are, and this one is through the grapevine. Basically I had heard that some other IMAX theaters around the country had episode III, that turned into that it was going to be in Des Moines at some point. I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD, and watch it in my own AxiomMAX theater
Ok. I just saw it. Here are my thoughts.

Terrible movie. Bad acting, ridiculous script. George really screwed this one.

Ok, now that I won't be lonely for the next week because of all the forthcoming hate mail, here is my real review.

I really enjoyed it. Sometimes how you feel about a movie changes over time, but for now I thought it was excellent. I thought Hayden Christensen did a much better job in this one and with the darker storyline it seemed the lines didn't come across as rough as they did in 1 & 2. Even the scenes between Anakin and Padme seemed pretty good, at least much better than in 2. The lightsaber battles were extremely well done. The nature and execution of the betrayl was flat out awesome. A couple of other thoughts.

The spoilers mentioned in the beginning of this thread that I had previously read turned out to be true. Wished I hadn't have known some of those. Loved the face off between the Chancellor and Mace. The scene that I had read about that I wondered that could have made it an "R" rating was hinted at but definitely not shown.

To me Anakin didn't become a sympathetic character until a little bit into Episode 3. I thought he was at his most likeable in the whole prequels at about 20-30 minutes into ROTS IMO. I have heard George say he wanted Anakin to be a hero, but I didn't feel that in 1 & 2. I thought Ewan McGregor did another very solid job. I loved the plotting and the slow but sure squeezing done by the Emperor. Some excellent moments in this one.

If I had to rate the movies as of right now it would go like this.

Phantom Menace: B-
Attack of the Clones: B-
Revenge of the Sith: A-
A New Hope: A
Empire Strikes Back: A+
Return of the Jedi: B+

That's right. I liked ROTS a little bit more than Jedi.

Cap- here you go, off the official site... looks like they're doing only 4 shows a day.
National Amusements Lee Highway Multiplex Cinemas
8223 Lee Highway, Merrifield, VA
Glad you liked it TNT. When you seeing it again?

I am not sure when but soon.

Ok, time for a silly Star Wars geek moment. As the movie ended and the credits began to roll, I felt a bit of sadness. For one the movie is very dark, but mostly it was because this is an end to a saga that started when I was 5 years old. I have loved these movies for the last 25 years and now the saga is completed. It's almost like one of the few remaining doors to your childhood has now been closed. Anyone else feel that way?

yeah, but then i went home and watched episode 4 and things got better then!
When I went to the midnight showing, the people around me either had alergies that developed about an hour into the movie (after sitting for about 2 hours before the movie started with no problems, or were crying. I hear a lot of sniffling and so forth.

Then again, Star Wars has been a part of my life since I was 5 years old when my parents took me to see it in the drive it. I only have a few memories of being 5, but Star Wars is one of them. I don't recall the entire movie from when I was 5, in fact I only really remember the parts that are "scarier" for a 5 year old (at 1977 standards, kids today are much more immune), but when Luke's uncles farm is toasted by the troopers, and when Obi Wan dies are two sceens that I can actually remember from 1977. I of course remember more of the movie since buying my own copy in my late teens, and then the special edition (still on VHS) several years ago.

So, for this almost 33 year old, star wars has been around for pretty much all of my rememberable life, so it is a little "hard" to see it over. Trust me though. It has now been 1 week since I saw it, and that feeling goes away.

Heck, I even felt that way after the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Whenever you are drawn into a story so deeply, you create attachment to the characters that you like, and when the story has been told and the characters go away, it would seem normal to feel a sense of loss.

Oh, and for those that are wondering, yes, I still ahve the VHS copies of the special edition EP4, 5, & 6. I haven't watched them in about 4 years, and don't know why I even hang on to them. I do not own any of the DVDs for any of the Star Wars films. I am waiting for the full 6 episode box set to come out. My guess is that I will be waiting 2.5 years for that. This Christmas will be EP3 on DVD, next year will be EP1, 2, & 3 trilogy box set, and then the year after will be all 6 boxed together for some crazy price.
In a way...yeah, but what a way to go out. The huge applause at the end of the film was touching, and really showed how Star Wars has affected people. It's forever embedded in pop culture, and is something that will last long after we are gone. I like to think that I won't be the only person (when I'm 90) kicking back in the old folks home watching the saga.
Heck Yoda was 900 before he kicked the bucket, and even in the after life, still the force is with him
Thanks, Ash. I might check it out again this weekend.
shoot, i've still got the special editions and two versions of the original original trilogy, in widescreen and pan-and-scan and non-THX versions to boot. i figure i'll show that version to the kid (when we have one). dammit, Han shot FIRST!!
In reply to:

Han shot FIRST

galactic smuggling, nerf-herding, cryo-frozen, wanna be a casanova punk!!

i always knew he was bad..

bigjohn
It's amazing how one change (in response to the "Han shoots first" comment) can change the movie experience.

Kind of like this guy I work with (who went with me with his light saber to the midnight showing). Like me, he has seen the movies in the order in which they came out in the theaters...

Episode 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, and then 3... To us, Luke is a main character.

His son (9 years old) has seen it in the order of 1, 2, and just recently 3. He has not seen 4, 5, or 6 yet, but has read a lot of the books that take place after Return of the Jedi. To him, Luke is just a minor character. Anakin's son, and the uncle to Han and Leia's jedi kids.

Maybe that will change when he sees 4, 5 and 6....
I wonder if they will be "original theatrical" versions or special edition....
In reply to:

Han and Leia's jedi kids

wait, wait.. han and leia get it on, and have kids..? what movie was that in..? that must be the 'special' SPECIAL version.

has to be an extension of ROTJ, cause she was lookin awful fine as jabba's whore slave.

bigjohn
Yup. they have kids, but that is in the books, not movies.

I wonder if Lucas will ever pursue the making of Episodes 7, 8, and 9. The basic stories were written back when he wrote the back stories for Episode 4, 5, and 6 which became Episodes 1, 2, and 3...

Who knows.Kind of hard to continue a story with Luke, Leia, and Han without casting new characters due to age of actors.

Oh, and Sirquack, I got a response back from the director of the IMAX in Des Moines...

Paul Hancher
Director of the IMAX Dome Theater
Science Center of Iowa

I hope that they have some good movies out next year!

I remember reading somewhere that George Lucas has stated emphatically that there will never be Episodes 7, 8 and 9... but expected...

I also have the original versions on VHS (matte boxes and all), the Special Editions on VHS as well as the current widescreen DVD set and Episodes 1 and 2...

Now if I can persuade a friend to loan me his laser disk player and the disks for the original three, I may be able to create DVD's of the original offerings... No CG Jabba...

I, too, shed a quiet tear at the conclusion of ROTS...Star Wars has been in my blood from a long, long time ago...

WhatFurrer
There will be episodes 7, 8, and 9.

George won't make them, but I forsee George's kids running out of their dad's money in about 20 years and so the rights will be sold off to someone to do the next 3 films.
if his kids run through all his money, well, thats just a shame.

they could print million dollar bills, use 'em as toilet paper, and STILL have plenty left over after a few years. not to mention, the 'star wars' name and franchise will be bringing in tons of money for years to come. hell, elvis has been dead for nearly 30 years, and he still makes millions.

bigjohn
Someone had a question about the movie in IMAX. Let me clarify for you. The movie is being shown on IMAX screens, however the movie is NOT filmed in IMAX. They are just showing the regular movie on the bigger screen, so it was not optimized to take advantage of IMAX. They have an IMAX at my local theater and I checked into it before going.
WhatFurrer, The same guy from work that I keep talking about borrowed laserdisk copies of the "original" versions and turned them into DVD. He likes those versions better than the "special edition" DVD trilogy he bought. So it can be done. Good luck!
Good clarification. IMAX is a complete seperate filming process. There is some sort of "large format" conversion that they do, but my best guess is that it is similar to the idea of upconverting DVDs for HD displays. It still isn't true HD, but is better than leaving them at standard DVD resolution. With the IMAX conversions, they reprint the film after it has been, for a lack of better word, upconverted.

I am sure that someone here will correct me with the actual terms and process, but I am just going for the conceptual idea of what I think it is.
In reply to:

The same guy from work that I keep talking about borrowed laserdisk copies of the "original" versions and turned them into DVD. He likes those versions better than the "special edition" DVD trilogy he bought.

All hail Penny Arcade's Swipe at Lucas.

In link form due to some harsh written language.

Bren R.
I detect some deeply-buried jealousy here... So, where's your accidental masterpiece???
In reply to:

I detect some deeply-buried jealousy here...

Nah, just P.O.'d that he added some bad CG to a "classic" and a big part of a lot of childhoods... the fans have said they'd like the opportunity to buy the original movies and Lucas has metaphorically peed on them. Without them, Star Wars would have stayed on the bottom shelf with Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers. The fanaticism, not Lucas' will, made the B-grade 70s space movie into a blockbuster.

Like Michael Curtiz reissuing Casablanca with the ending he always wanted - the Bergman becomes a stripper ending - that he couldn't make at the time because of morality censors at WB.

Bren R.
Just something interesting for those who haven't heard about this. I would definitely classify this as something that will probably never nappen, but you never know.

www.theforce.net/episode3/story/PrequelPrequel_Rumors_of_More_Movies_92928.asp

And a follow up report that might change the classification of the rumor from impossible to simply unlikely. But I love the potential of that storyline. Of course by the time it was finally released, I doubt the movie would be shown in the nursing home I would be living in (Indiana Jones 4 anyone?).

www.theforce.net/episode3/story/Lucas_Talks_PreEpsiode_I_Movie_92964.asp
100% agree with Bren... doesn't make much sense to me that they won't run a DVD set of the un-remade org 3.

But they can leave in the remastered audio track.

=)
On a semi-related topic, could this project finally be near filming? Maybe the 10th time is the charm.

comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9823
Ha ha! No doubt man! Well, at least Indy 4 is moving forward somewhat.
Yesterday we threw in A New Hope to watch on the new sound system. A couple of things I noticed. Very good LFE with the Millineum Falcon, Star Destroyers and the Death Star. Cool stuff. Also a decent amount of surround activity present for a film from 1977.

While watching it, something came to mind that George Lucas had said many years ago, before the prequels came out. He said the reason for doing the prequels is that they would give you a new perspective of the Original trilogy. Well after watching Episode 3 last week, that gave a new perspective on the Vader-Obi Wan faceoff in A New Hope. Yes the duel itself isn't amazing like many of the prequel lightsaber battles, but the emotional context and weight of their history gave it a different perspective when being viewed now. I thought that was really cool.
I agree. There is so much more depth in the OT now thanks to the PT. From very small moments like Aunt Beru calling Luke during the selling of the droids scene, to the HUGE revelation scene in ESB, to the climactic battle between father and son in ROTJ and seeing Luke choose the opposite path his father did. I agree some very cool stuff.
Agreed! I saw Sith on Monday with my son. I HAD to put on A New Hope when I got home.....new perspective indeed!
OK, just got word from the wife, we are going to see the SITH tonight. she arranged for my mom to come over to the house and watch the baby, and we are taking my older boy to the 7:20 show.

already looking forward to it.

bigjohn
They git them new-fangled ster-e-o speakers in them theaters down in San Angelo, yet?
Saw it for the second time tonight. I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. That's always good. I still think it is worthy of the A- that I gave it.
yea, we have one of those Tinseltown franschise theaters they built about 3-4 years ago. it has like 14 screens, but the sound is still horrible compared to my home system.

well, after 25 minutes of commercials and previews, the movie finally started. the large opening 'wall of sound' was just weak compared to watching them at home, so i started with a bitter taste in my mouth. the opening battle sequence was a little over the top(big surprise), and i think to myself, "if the rest of it is like this, i am gonna hate it". but, thankfully, it toned down a bit, and the story kicked in. i did like how they made R2 the bad-a$$ we always knew he was, and i thought they did a good job of making you hate annikan, and make you feel sympathy for him at the same time. and i felt an overall sense of sadness and betrayal when they executed "program 66". it just deflated me.

anyway, still over the top graphics, but what did i expect..? definitely the best of the new ones, but i cant help but be an old fogey.. i still prefer the originals, especially empire. that one is still the best to me.

bigjohn
Nice to hear your thoughts, John.

I saw it for the second time last week. I actually enjoyed it more - not having to worry about how things were handled, etc. This movie was very tricky from a writing/directing perspective. GL could have easily dropped the ball on this one - considering how many people had pre-conceived notions of how things were supposed to progress.

Anyway - I agree that the effects were overdone - but that was Star Wars has always been about. It's just that relatively, the originals now look very organic - when in fact, at the time, they were cutting edge and some critics complained that the whole affair was like effects masturbation - all show, no story.

Shows what 20 years of nostalgia will do for you.
LOL! Yeah, I remember the original getting ripped apart by reviewers. Hell, I even remember ESB getting blasted by Time Magazine when it came out. Now look. 22 years later and it's a fan favorite; although, for me, ROTS has now surpassed ESB. They are all great fun though. I'm also looking forward to seeing ROTS again tonight or tomorrow.
I really need to get to the theaters and see this thing finally. We've been so damn busy at home it's not even funny. I've had 3 unwatched netflix movies sitting next to the TV for more than a couple weeks, too.
I just saw it this afternoon.
It was definitely better than the first two IMO.
However, Lucas could have left out the part of a burning body and still made the point. That was a little too gruesome for youngsters and i really didn't need to see it either. I think ending the scene just as he catches on fire, even with some screaming, would have sufficed.

Did i ruin it all for you Peter?
In reply to:

anyway, still over the top graphics, but what did i expect..? definitely the best of the new ones, but i cant help but be an old fogey.. i still prefer the originals, especially empire. that one is still the best to me.

I think that sums it up nicely, except I was blown away by the opening sequence. Best CGI in a move, ever. BUT CGI certainly doesn't make a good movie, and once again Lucas relied too much on FX to make the movie.
I haven't seen it yet, but I think for CGI to be great, it has to be transparent. In other words, if you find yourself saying, "Oooooh! That CGI is fantastic!" then it calls too much attention to itself.

My too scents....
Ha! I found myself doing that with all the LOTR and Matrix films. Still, everyone knows these kind of movies are filled with CGI. What they don't know is that what they usually think is CGI is actually a model or a matte painting. Fact is, more models and paintings are used in these films than in films of this genre in the past.

Anyway, I'm still lovin the opening space battle. It's so massively layered, so incredible. I'll be seeing it tonight at a theater near by and also on Sunday at a digital theater. Can't wait!
In reply to:

I'll be seeing it tonight at a theater near by and also on Sunday at a digital theater. Can't wait!

Dang....I thought I was a fan but I pale in comparison. Tell George I said hi.
Guess how much Episode 3 has made in less than a month?

www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

I am amazed that it ranks that high overall already. Although it seems to be rapidly slowing its box office pace. I still find it interesting that The Empire Strikes Back, widely considered by many fans as the best of the saga, ranks 6th out of all 6 movies in US gross.
I know what you mean. I've been tracking it over at Box Office Mojo since the opening weekend. Regarding the popularity of ESB, I don't know if you remember, but back when it came out it wasn't well received. As many people as there were that loved the revelation at the end, there seemed to be as many who scoffed at it. Personally, I think they are all awesome!
Well, if you adjust for inflation, I am sure ESB sold more tickets than AOTC and maybe even TPM. I think the lower box office is due because there was no happy ending and the bad guys won. When I was younger, I hated watching ESB for the same reasons. As I got older, though, I have come to realize that ESB is the masterpiece of the entire saga.
Saw it again (I know) yesterday. Still can't get over how amazing the space battle is. We saw it in a theater that had some tactile transducers in the seating. I had forgot how much something like that adds to the experience. Now, I'm looking at getting some for my theater. Anyway, what was really kinda neat was listening to the groups of people as they left the theater saying stuff like, "My God that was the best Star Wars film I've seen!" Then, getting outside and everyone standing around talking about how great it was. Very cool! I may see it one more time before it leaves theater...before that long wait until the DVD in November. I'll have the new couch and transducers installed by then.
So how many times have you seen it Rock?

I can guess what you will be doing on November 1st.
Oh man! I lost count. I guess at least 8 times. What about you?
whats happening on Nov 1st...?

bigjohn
Mini - youre a freak! I thought that I was pretty dorked out, but you put me to shame. (And I'm a true to life card carrying member of the Star Wars fan club).

Happy to see that you still enjoy it.

That's pretty cool that a theater offers you the rumble seat experience. Do they reserve that theater for the summer popcorn action flicks, or does every screen have them?

I just can't imagine how much power it must take to get a whole theater rumbling...Cool though.

Wow....I feel lame . I have only seen it twice but hoping to go again sometime in the next couple of weeks.

November 1st is the date that Episode 3 is supposed to be released on DVD. There will be 3 releases that day. Episode 3 DVD, a prequel trilogy DVD set, and a saga 6-pack DVD set. No word yet if any of the box sets will have new material.

I thought the original trilogy DVD release was most excellent overall with one major complaint. Awesome video-audio transfers, excellent commentaries, incredible 2.5 hour documentary. My one complaint? No not the Han-Greedo scene . It was the lack of deleted scenes. ARGHHHHHH! I know they are sitting in the vaults but George is saving them for a future release. Will this be the one?
I finally got to see it on dvd. Right now it's the most impressive of the six although that may change if I ever get the time to watch all of them again.

It wasn't this DVD was it?

(link is to funny mistranslations of subtitles on copy of a street-purchased DVD)
No it wasn't, the scrolling words at the start of the screen weren't in English but the overall quality of the dvd was pretty good except for some breakups in the later part of the movie.

I have no idea how to get these dvds, I had to rely on my nephew's 20 year old girlfriend. . I'm glad (and amazed) that Lucas is releasing the movie by itself. I had a feeling that he would only make it available if you bought the complete set of six.
Capn: Can't argue with that; I love me some Star Wars. Besides, it's the last one, and who know's when they will be re-released in theaters. Yeah, the rumble seating was awesome, and it totally adds to the experience! They should be mandatory for every theater.

TNT: I think it is the one. I figured GL would save the deleted scenes from the OT for the six box set. I'll definitely spring for a new 6 box set though whether the deleted scenes are included or not.
In reply to:

who know's when they will be re-released in theaters.

That would be 2007. George has found a technology that he believes will do the films justice in a 3-D format. I don't know if the projectors have to have modifications done to them, but George says to expect the saga in theaters in 2007.

I would buy the new saga DVD if it has the deleted scenes. However, that is taking the double dip issue a bit far. A normal $20 double dip to now about $100.
Crap! I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see what they do with that. The space battle alone would be worth it.
Just another update on Episode III's climb up the charts.
www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross
3 SW movies in the top 10 and 5 movies in the top 20. Not bad. ALL HAIL KING GEORGE!

This news probably won't be available for awhile but if anyone finds any info about the new extras for the saga DVD release for November, by all means please post it. Just hoping that the deleted scenes from the OT will be available.
Yeah, I'm still following it over at box office mojo. I want to go see it one more time before it leaves the theater near me and they replace it with War of the Worlds (looking forward to seeing that one too).

I've been checking The Digital Bits lately, but no new SW news. I'm sure it'll be in the next couple months or maybe even during SDCC.
ROTS is less that a million away from passing ROTK on the All-Time Domestic Box Office Gross. Finally saw ROTS digitally as well, and good lord it was impressive! There was so much more detail and the image was so much more vibrant. Now, I really can't wait for the DVD.
I have been following that as well. The DVD release has been confirmed for November 1st. And contrary to what I posted awhile back, Lucasfilm says they will not release a complete saga DVD collection this year.

I keep hoping that a scene in the shooting script (that has Yoda conferring with the spirit of Qui-Gon) was indeed filmed, and if so, be included in the deleted scenes section of the DVD release. The dialog from that scene can be found here. It takes place shortly after Yoda leaves Coruscant with Bail Organa after Palpatine declares himself emperor.
www.thedigitalbits.com/clips/ep3cutscene.html
I think there is very little hope TNT of that scene being on the DVD. As far as I know, Liam was never brought in for anything, and without Liam, there is no Qui-Gon. Here's hoping though.

Another scene I hope is on there is the one where Padme and Bail meet with Mon Mothma and a few other senator's. Essentially the birth of the rebellion. Would be cool to see.

I bet ROTS takes ROTK's spot by the end of the week.
In reply to:

As far as I know, Liam was never brought in for anything

Bummer.

The scene you mentioned is the only one confirmed at this point to be on the DVD. I believe Steve Sansweet revealed photos of it during the Comic-con a few weeks ago. I don't have a link handy, but I have seen pictures of that scene. As far as I know the other deleted scene content has not been anounced yet.
You're right about the photo's of that being shown at SDCC. I'm hoping that scene is integrated into the movie. Another deleted scene I'd like to make it on to the DVD is the one where Yoda lands on Dagobah after leaving Kashyyk. I think there were a couple of scenes cut out during Obi vs. Vader on Mustafar. A few more images of Vader and the 501st taking the Jedi Temple would be cool too.
I don't know about you, but for me the more I enjoy a film the more I want to see deleted material. Episode I and II were good but not great to me, so I wasn't super excited for the deleted stuff (although some of the deleted scenes for AOTC I thought were good). But I enjoyed ROTS so much, I am really looking forward to them this time. The same of course with the original trilogy deleted stuff whenever George decides it's time for us to pony up more money for the right to have them.

Isn't it nice having this thread completely to ourselves? No one other than us seems to contribute here anymore.
HA! See what happens when you stop feeding trolls. LOL!

I know what you mean, I more than enjoyed ROTS; I loved IT! The more deleted scenes thrown on the DVD the better IMO. I really enjoyed Ep's I and II, and while Ep I had some great deleted scenes thrown in, there just weren't enough on Ep II. I'm hoping for more when we get the 6 disc boxset.
ROTS will beat ROTK in the boxoffice. Both are better movies than AOTC and TPM. But IIRC ANH, ESB and ROTJ are still way better than all the above mentioned, IMO.

We're just wondering why you guys aren't PM'ing each other instead of subjecting us to this lubed-up Lucas fawn-fest.

LOL! Yet you still clicked on the thread.
Yeah, what Rock said. It's as if you suspect I have a George Lucas shrine in my home complete with a life size Lucas flannel doll and Ewok bedsheets. I wouldn't have anything like that. That's silly. No not me.
There's a life-size Lucas "Flannel" doll? (starts searching eBay) ROTFLMAO!

TNT: You mentioned SDCC earlier. I'm not sure how much you are into collecting, but there was some really unique high-end SW props and collectibles being displayed there. I'm going to dig up some pics. Some of it was just too awesome not to be shared.
Thanx Luis....Thanx a Million

Just as I was brousing your site; guess who got up? Right! the oldest Grandkid.....I lost the computer for a few.....and undoubtedly a few bucks before it's all over

Great Site though!! Didn't know all this cool stuff was available

Fab set-up for watching/listening too!!
Rich.
Well, I hesitate to mention this, but you guys will love it. I was at a client on Wednesday who had the usual cube clutter. Right there in the middle of her bulletin board was a Revenge of the Jedi button. Yes, Revenge. I can't imagine how much that thing is worth.
Here's a few things shown at SDCC (that will no doubt end up in my collection ).

Code 3

Gentle Giant

[img]http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1288835&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1[/img]

Master Replicas

[img]http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Comic_Con_2005&image=comiccon20.jpg&img=27&tt=[/img]

Sideshow

[img]http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Comic_Con_2005&image=comiccon8.jpg&img=&tt=[/img]

There's also an awesome shot of the upcoming Sideshow 1/4 Scale General Grievous that I have to try and find.

Rich: Thanks for the compliment. Your grandchild is a lucky kid if you plan to get him some of these pieces especially at around $400 a pop; but, some things are a must for a Star Wars fan.

Ken: I'm not sure what that piece sells for; but, like everything else, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just a guess here but it may be a piece that SWS.com was giving away for free with orders. If it's vintage 1983, she may have something there.
The word "Museum" certainly comes strongly to mind when looking at what you currently have in your collection, plus what you have planned!

When the rest of the Grandkids got up and took a gander.....well, they went nuts as bad as the oldest

A new collection may well be in the near future, but since the four grandkids live with us, it will be a family(including the WIFE!!)affair

Here are some pics of the Sideshow booth from the Rebelscum SDCC coverage. This is the one license that I'm looking forward to the most.
That's the best way to do it Rich. Glad your grandkids enjoyed the collection.
Cool Stuff. Thanks for the pics.
Didn't realize that they even acknowledged the name Revenge of the Jedi much less still made merchandise with it. I guess that would make more sense.
but i thought Darth Maul got cut off at the waist.....

now i'm gonna have to go back and watch Episode 1 again.
oh yeah, i already have got one of those Tauntaun pieces, check it out. but it's got a funny slit in the belly, might have to return it.
I think the rest of Maul will be an SS exclusive along with the 1:1 JarJar.

So, now that you've given us a peek Ash, lets see the rest!
Hey MiniRock, you got your Death Star Subwoofer yet?

Apologize if this has been posted before. My force is to weak to read every post in this thread.
Ha! I saw that. Definitely the coolest Subwoofer I've ever seen. I'll hope and wait for an LFL licensed THX version though. You know it'll happen.
Yeah, but watch the volume on that thing. I had a friend play his Official LFL-licensed subwoofer a little too loud while watching THX 1138, and I wasn't even with him, but I felt a great disturbance, as though millions of voices cried out in terror, and then suddenly silenced.
LOL....geez Peter you never stop do you? As always good work.
Looks like ROTS has moved ROTK out of the #7 spot for the all-time gross. There are currently three Star Wars movies in the top 10 and two of them are prequels. Very cool!
I noticed that as well.

Anyone ever looked at the all time gross vs. all time adjusted for inflation? Interesting differences.
www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
Yeah, I have. The whole adjusted for inflation thing is bogus though. It's like trying to predict that some of those movies would have done as well today as they did in the past.
It doesn't have anything to do with the hypothetical current popularity at all, acually. It's just adjusting the buying power of the dollar in those days to be comparable to what it is today. It's kinda like adjusting the ticket prices in 1939 to current levels -- about $9 a pop -- for the Gone with the Wind statistic.
In reply to:

It doesn't have anything to do with the hypothetical current popularity at all

Sure it does. No one can predict whether Gone With the Wind would have made what it did if tickets were sold at $9 a pop in 1939 or if were released today. It's a guessing game.
It's not a guessing game at all. The prices they paid back then were equivalent to what a $9 ticket costs now. Gas at 10 cents a gallon or whatever it was back then is like the $2.50 or so we are paying now. The value of whatever a movie costs to see back then, say 25 cents, is equal to the nine dollars it costs in todays terms. If you don't adjust for inflation no old movie can ever compete, and all of the Stars Wars will be out of the top 10 in 65 years, because movies will cost $20 to go see, or whatever inflation brings it up to by then. It has nothing to do with if people would go see the movie if it were released today.
In reply to:

It's not a guessing game at all. The prices they paid back then were equivalent to what a $9 ticket costs now.

Really?? So, movies are made and cost the same to make now as they did back then? Commercial theaters haven't been upgraded over the last 66 years to properly take advantage of new technologies? What's the cause of the tickets general rise in price levels then?

In reply to:

Gas at 10 cents a gallon or whatever it was back then is like the $2.50 or so we are paying now.

I'm sorry, but this is a flaccid arguement. We are talking about entertainment, not a state of being force by circumstances. I'll play along though. Did the rising cost of gas cause people to car pool or be more conservative with how much driving they did back then? Did the prices of tickets, and the short window for a movies video release, cause people to go see a movie once, or completely skip a movie, back then? What about bootlegging? Man, I could go on, but the fact is there are too many variables. Movies are a product of their era.

Anyway, feel free to start a thread on this topic, but lets get this thread back on its.

The EPIII DVD has also gone up for preorder at SWS.com. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get mine from my supplier a few weeks in advance. Either way, it can't come soon enough.
Yes, let us all bow before Star Wars: ROTS, the highest grossing film ever if you don't pay attention to inflation. C'mon...
Ken: Thank you for your contribution to this thread.
Just agreeing with everyone but you.
Thank you sir; but, if you have nothing left to say "on topic" feel free to troll somewhere else.

Regards,

Luis
I'd say it was on topic. And I'll post what I please where I please, thank you very much.

How's this: I support everyone else's argument that when you're looking at these stats, you have to look at the inflation adjusted numbers, not merely the dollar gross. By the dollar gross, ROTS will easily be surpassed in a few years by whatever new trendy movie comes around, which I imagine will not make you very happy.

Sincerely,
Ken
You are a true gentleman Ken, and I really REALLY couldn't have asked more from you.
Ease up everyone or I will have to use force lightning on you.

Did I just say that? Oh boy, I feel a sarcastic response from Peter on its way.
Wait, wouldn't it be us using force lighting? "Anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the Dark Side." </yoda> I thought force lightning was a Dark Side power...

Hey, how come Vader didn't use force lightning? I'm sure it's explained in one of the myriad books, but I tend not to consider those canon. I know Lucas does, but I just can't reconcile that many different authors with that many conflicting stories.
MiniRock,

I don't think you're grasping the concept of inflation adjustment. Movies with sound in them were cutting edge technology at one point, and the introduction of sound playback equipment probably boosted the ticket prices for movies back then. $1 in the 1930s was worth a heck of a lot more than it is today. That's why adjusting for inflation is important.

It is because a ticket cost about 20 cents in the 1930s that it is important to adjust that figure upward if you're trying to make any sort of meaningful comparison to movies being released decades later. Not as many people have to see a movie today for it to gross more than a movie from the the 30s.
I understand what you are saying Peter; and, believe it or not, I do grasp the concept of inflation adjustment. As a man who is retired at 33, I'd like to think I have a good grasp of economics. My view is still the same; to me, the adjustment is bogus. I'm sure we could all go round and round tonight, and since I have already made my point, I think it's time to move on. I want to thank you, though, for keeping this civil. I know you and I have butted heads in the past, so this says much.
Here's the shot of the Sideshow General Grievous I was talking about a couple pages ago:

Impressive. Most impressive.
For all us gamers. Looks like Battlefront II will be released the same day as the ROTS DVD. Looks like it'll be a full day of movie watching and game playing for me. Too bad the Clone Wars Season III DVD doesn't release until December though.
Video Business is reporting that Episode III will not be released on VHS, only DVD. I was a bit shocked that a movie that is this popular would not be released on video. Just another sign that VHS is on its last legs.

www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6251599.html
In reply to:

Too bad the Clone Wars Season III DVD doesn't release until December though.

Pardon my ignorance, have they released Clone Wars Season II?

I have not seen it...only I.

WhatFurrer
The Clone Wars DVD currently out has both seasons 1 and 2 on it.
Well...that's what I get for not watching the entire thing (Honey, can you do this...? )...

And trying to find the disk currently is like a version of "Button, Button, Who's got the Button?"

Maybe the boy knows were it is...

Thanks MiniRock...

WhatFurrer
It's a great little series WF. Hopefully, you get a chance to watch it.

Also, Volume II will be coming to DVD in December.

I wish it were coming out the same time as the EPIII DVD though.
Lucasfilm has released more details about the upcoming Episode III DVD release. Very cool that the Yoda on Dagobah scene will be included among the deleted scenes but still no Yoda talking to the spirit of Qui-Gonn scene mentioned. Still hoping for that one but it does appear to be a long shot at this point, if not the nail in the coffin.

www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/video/news20050926.html
Can't wait! I should have my EPIII DVD the week of the 17th in Oct. Here are some screen shots of a couple deleted scenes.

Wow.....cool stuff.
I just got done watching Star Wars VI on my new DIY 2.35 aspect ratio screen which is 51" x 120". And don't worry everyone, no black bars for this guy. I'm using a Prismasonic 600M Anamorphic lens to fill the screen after my Sanyo Z2 did the required scaling.

Nothing like enjoying 2.35 movies as they were intended to be viewed
Doesn't the combination of scaling and anamorphic lens stretch out your pixels and make them rectangular? I'm sure it's not noticeable unless you get too close to the screen, but I'm just wondering.
If anything I'm noticing an improvment and less Screen Door Effect. Normally when you watch 2.35 material on an 16:9 projector, your not using all of the panels pixels, actually your missing out on 33% of the pixels which are taken up by the black bars. By vertically stretching the material to fill the height (which makes everything look skinny) your making use of these lost pixels. Keep in mind this is not Zooming the picture. The Anamorphic lens Horizontally stretches the picture back out to fill the 2.35 screen and make the image normal. Projectors vary on their lumen ratings, but on average you can expect an increase in brightness around 20% because your using the full panel display.

Over at AVS forum this 2.35 constant height idea has really picked up speed. There is actually a 2.35 forum for those that have taken the cinemascope step. Once you go there you wonder how you ever lived with Black Bars on wider AR movies.
Thanks for explaining. I can see how it would be preferable to use all your pixels.
Does that mean that you cut some of the picture off left to right? If so, isn't this like "Diet full screen"? I know a lot of purists want to see the whole image. Is this not a concern to 2.35:1 devotees?

I ask this not as an attack, please, merely to determine whether some cropping does exist, then to verify that you prefer a cropped widescreen image (16:9) over a skinnier, 2.35:1 image, and to question how much info you lose when doing this.
Hey there Capn, no cropping/cutting of the picture. With a constant height design the height stays constant, the width just changes. The screen you use is a 2.35 ratio. When you watch smaller aspect ratios all you do is mask the sides with curtains just like the movie theaters. I'll try to explain better.

As you know with a 16:9 screen, if your watching 2.35 movies you still have black bars on the top and bottom, actually those black bars account for 33% of the total picture that is lost, so your not making use of all your resolution. They have to do this so the entire 2.35 movie fits within the 16:9(1.78) ratio screen.

Anyway, in my case my screen is 51" x 120" wide for 2.35. When I watch movies in lower AR's the Prismasonic lens has a "pass through" mode so the image passes through the lens and appears on the screen just as if I didn't have an anamorphic lens.

Now when watching 2.35 material, first you have to have a scaler to vertically stretch the material to fit the height of the screen to make use of the full panels. Your only adjusting vertically, not horizontally so it makes the image tall and skinny. This is where the lens come to play, you then use the stretch knobs to horizontally stretch the image to fit the 2.35 screen and the picture looks normal again.

As far as the scaler goes, many people use HTPC's, or other high priced scalers. Some DVD players and some projectors will perform the needed initial stretch.

Anyway, if you go to AVSforum every, there is a great new board for 2.35 users, it is starting to become very popular. I tell you, now that I can experience all the wider movies as they were intended to be viewed, I don't know how I ever stood for the black bars.

www.prismasonic.com/english

www.panamorph.com

ISCO is another anamorphic lens, but more expensive than the above. Panamorph just makes vertical anamorphic lens's, meaning they take the previously stretched (scaled) image, and vertically compress it to achieve the 2.35 screen, end result the screen is smaller, unless you have a long throw projector. Prismasonic makes both vertical and horizontal lens's. My Prismasonic horizontally stretches the scaled image, so you can achieve a larger screen from any given throw distance.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=117
Thanks for the explanation. So, basically, you get the best of both worlds with the 2.35 screen ratio - high resolution with no cropping on Cinescope type pictures, and full resolution (with a slightly skinnier screen, which is physically masked) on 16:9 images. Very cool.

I have resued the 2.35 constant height forum a bit over at AVS some time ago, but found it all to be well beyond me (mostly since I don't have a dedicated HT room, and thus, no practical front projection application).

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Quick question, with the addition of a scaler and a special lense, how much does that increase the cost for the projector? I would think that it might add some considerable cost. Also, can the wife/girlfriend/signifcant other figure out how to do all the scaling (i.e. is it automated through macros, or is there a whole process that needs to be done?)

Thanks. Sorry to remain off topic about Star Wars - which is totally going to rock.

Back on track - I wish that they included the Grievous executing the Jedi scene - it would have tied the Clone Wars cartoons in well with the movie, and would have shown Greivous doing more than coughing and running away. He needed to be colder and sinister - this scene might have helped with that.

I also wish that the Mon Mothma scenes weren't cut, which is the first sign that a rebellion might occur - it would have done a lot to explain why Leia is such an empirial opposer - as a result of her father's affiliation with Mon Mothma's cause.
In my case the Projector is doing the scaling/stretching of the 2.35 movies and I am using 480p over component mode since the projector won't scale 720p or 1080i over HDMI/DVI. So the only additional cost I had was the lens. Some more expensive projectors like the Infocus 7200 and others will scale the higher resolutions. Others use HomeTheaterPC's and special software to do the scaling. Even some DVD players will do the scaling, mine won't.

Here is a pic from Star Wars II tonight just playing around with my 5yr old digital camera. With the lens in stretch mode, you just have to turn a few knobs, you get the full 51" x 120" image.

I know this is not a Star Wars screen shot, but it shows you that when watching 1.85 ratio movies, I just have to turn the knobs to PassThrough mode. The height stays the same, I just have to mask the sides. I don't have curtains yet to do that masking

I have some new pics of my mount in the Home Theater forum.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=110103&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=
Bill Hunt has his review of the Episode III DVD here:
www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarsepisode3.html

He is also reporting that Rob Coleman of ILM told him Yoda in Episode I will be redigitized to fit the look/technology from Episodes II and III. Coleman also told him that the puppet Yoda in the Original saga will never be replaced with CG.

Also, it was reported that George Lucas is finishing the script for Indy IV this week. Whether or not that is a good thing is up for debate. Part of me is excited for the film but I have to wonder about the 10+ year delay when the film was in limbo. 60 year old Indy cracking the whip against those pesky cold war Russians? Who knows though, Lucas and Spielberg might be able to pull it off.
Indy IV? Harrison Ford is getting pretty old. They might need to do some CG action scenes for him, as I doubt he's as limber as he used to be.
In reply to:

Episode III is THE new reference DVD by a wide margin... as it damn well should be.

Well, duh! LOL! Thanks for the info TNT. I heard from my supplier yesterday that he will be delivering mine to me on the 24th, and we are going to do a prequel marathon. My new tactile transducers will be installed next week too. Man, I can't wait.

As for Ford and Indy IV, you should have seen Harrison drooling all over himself, at the Tribute to GL, when it was mentioned.
Do you guys know if epIII will be released in a box set withthe rest of the prequels anytime soon? i dont own any of them and it would just be easier to buy all three. Thanks
First, there will be no Ep. III on VHS, which is a shame for those VHS box-set enthusiasts/completionists.

Second - Ep. III will come out first as a stand alone. A box will be available to order to house your prequel trilogy. Details will likely come with Ep. III DVD.

Third, there will probably be a couple of trilogy re-releases, after the initial Ep. III craze dies down. Then, we're also likely to see a 6 movie set.

Fourth (and hopefully finally), there will be the super-duper, 6 movie (10 disc or more?) HD-DVD version.
This abomination (though it is funny), is apparently an easter egg on the latest DVD.
That is pretty funny.

I am surprised MiniRock hasn't chimed in yet. He was supposed to have the DVD by now.
Yeah, seen the movie about 10 times now, and have had two full saga marathons. Best of the saga by far, and I'll be giving it another spin tomorrow.
Just watched SW3 again yesterday, and have formulated a couple of thoughts:

I needen't have rushed the new sub into use for this DVD; there just ain't that much low stuff in this flick

(I thought that SW1 was good on bass, and SW2 was overdone in spots, so I guess they averaged out.)

The opening scene reminds me of the "Buzz Lightyear" video game in "Toy Story 2"

Kinda half expected Anni and Ben to be gettin' out of their cute lil' fighters at the end of the scene and finding out they were nothin' but arcade simulators at the Jedi Temple

we'll probably do our SW marathon over the long Thanksgiving weekend.

On Thursday evening, I watched a friend give a presentation on Wookiees to a class of computer animation students. He's an animator at ILM and discussed the finer points of rendering hair and crowds of wookiees and various ways of cheating to make it look good but not take forever to render. It was a little dry, but interesting nonetheless. I guess you had to be there.
I have the DVD comming in the mail from Amazon tommorow. Im not a huge SW fan but I think this movie is great.
I watched the DVD tonight. Sounded and looked great. I will watch the bonus DVD tommorow.
Oh yeah, Clone Wars Volume 2 is out December 6th.
Some funny guys have squeezed Star Wars, Episode III down into 20 minutes of audio. Listen and laugh.
Just the first dialog..."The thing that powers the shields is on the outside of the ship!"
ROFLMAO

EDIT:
can't
stop
laughing...
so...
accurate!
that was pretty funny. its funny becuase its true.lol the end about hiding luke had me busting a gut.
The whole THING had me busting a gut... must find more!
I should have my copy of Clone Wars V2 late this week or early next. I can't wait to get it and do another marathon. I also still need to get Battlefront II. I'm picking up my XBOX 360 next week, so I'll probably pick up BFII then. In the meantime, I'm totally enjoying the EPIII DVD.
What's your watch count on the movie up to these days?
Definitely more than I should admit. It finally made its way out of my player this last weekend, so I could watch War of the Worlds and Polar Express.
MiniRock might be the only one to find this interesting, but Liam Neeson claims he recorded the dialogue for the Qui-Gon "ghost" scene for Episode III, at least according to IMDB. It is mentioned briefly about 1/3 down the page.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/trivia

I suppose it's possible George could be saving the scene for future teaser/deleted material in the Star Wars saga release (all 6 movies in one collection) or a future HD release. You know how George loves to dangle a carrot in front of the horse/cart as a marketing tool.....
Yeah, I did hear something on that TNT. I really don't care too much if something like that is put back into the movie since the Clone Wars animated series already showed Qui-Gon communicating from the dead. I'm more excited about the two upcoming TV series than anything.
© Axiom Message Boards