Axiom Home Page
Posted By: donaldekelly After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 09:44 PM
I know this question is covered in many other threads. I have read some of them and just want to make sure I have all the tips I can have.

I have M22s, QS4s and an M2 center. I just recently realized I have the M22s up too high to sound really good - since I am trying to keep them out of the reach of my kid. And it is a small, odd shaped apartment. I might knock into a speaker accidently.

So, I saw in a couple old threads some ideas. 1) put the M22s upside down so the tweeter is nearer my ears. 2) use the FMBrackets to aim the speakers down to my ears. 3) I suppose I would then also turn them in a little toward me to see if that helps.

I saw that you need an angle of 22-30 degrees from center for each of the speakers. Help! I have been out of school for a long time and, besides, I am an American. So, throw me a bone! If I sit about 10 feet away does that equal 5 feet between speakers? Is this the same even if there is a center channel in use?

Any other ideas for placing the M22 mains?

The center speaker has problems of it's own. The back wall is a funny shaped alcove - so the center speaker is five to six feet behind the main speakers. Would a ceiling bracket hold an M2 safely to bring it more in line with the M22s (assuming I find a stud in the ceiling)? And would that sound decent or would having it so much higher be an issue?

The surrounds seem almost set up according to Alan's directions. We recently removed a bookcase - so now I can relocate my wife's prize poster of Ireland, and I can make the QS4s align more exactly.

TV placement? It is still an old 20 incher. I won't worry about the video part of Home Theater for now, that will be another conundrum for later (where to place that.)

Anyway, I appreciate you all letting me loiter inside your brains for a minute. I am sure I missed something else that is important, so I thought I would ask for tips, as I continue to read the threads.

By the way - the Axiom Forums are the most polite and helpful forums I have ever come across. I guess there is some kind of background check Noreen does before you can buy speakers from Axiom?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 09:50 PM
Puting the speakers upside down should be an interesting experiment. I kinda want to try that.

What are your M22s on right now, stands or shelf?
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Oh - good question. 10 inch wide shelf - with plenty of air behind them. very little of the shelf is in front of the speakers.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 10:01 PM
I have been told it is good to form an equilateral triangle with you and the speakers.

example: if you measure straight from your ear to one of the speakers(not from your ear to the tv) and it is 10 feet, then you should have 10 feet between the two main speakers as well. (or each one should be 5 feet from the center of the TV).

If you are talking about the picture shown in this article:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/home_theater_layout.html

the 30 degree angle would create the equilateral triangle mentioned above.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 10:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: donaldekelly

Oh - good question. 10 inch wide shelf - with plenty of air behind them. very little of the shelf is in front of the speakers.

For stability purposes, I'd think using the FMB would work best to get the speakers to angle down to the listening position.

We like pictures here! Do you have pics of your set-up? If not, we'll just have to use our imagination.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 10:23 PM
A better way to do this is:

for a 22 degree angle if you sit 10 feet FROM THE TV then each speaker should be about 4 feet from the center of the TV (8 feet apart)

for a 30 degree angle if you sit 10 feet FROM THE TV then each speaker should be about 5.75 feet from the center of the TV, or 11.5 feet apart.

It is easier to measure the distance from your ear to the tv, otherwise its like an itterative process of moving speakers and measuring.

Trigonometry is your friend

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 10:29 PM
 Quote:
Trigonometry is your friend

According to my grades in school, no. \:\(
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 10:44 PM
That dirty @*&^%! Calculus better not ever find himself alone in a dark alley, either.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 10:48 PM
LOL! I still break out in a cold sweat just thinking about math.

My mom, on the other hand, took advanced calculus as an elective. Yup, those genes just leapfrogged right over me.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/19/08 11:29 PM
Donald, to try and add value amid the witty banter, I would definitely consider mounting the center M2 on the ceiling if you can't find anyplace better (lower) for it. Ceiling FMB is a good idea. I think having it close to the same vertical plane as the front speakers is an important consideration relative to recessing it in an alcove six feet behind the TV. But I probably need a picture.

I would definitely just turn the M22's upside-down and see what it sounds like.
We like pictures here! Do you have pics of your set-up? If not, we'll just have to use our imagination.

You might be sorry you asked. My small mishapen apartment is full of clutter.

http://www.8th-day.org/ht.htm

You see my Axioms and the two main impediments to great music listening! Just kidding - my wife and daughter are GREAT! Best "things" in my life by far!

The room is the biggest impediment - about 25 feet long and 7.5 feet wide, with an odd shaped place where the left speaker should go.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/20/08 12:05 AM
So, did you move the TV to where the couch is in the picture?

Could you just set the center channel next to or underneath the TV?
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
So, did you move the TV to where the couch is in the picture?

Could you just set the center channel next to or underneath the TV?

No - My wife wants the window to look out of. My thought is I will move the TV there when I want to try the HT experience. One day a flat screen HDTV will add to the HT experience, but hopefully by then we will have moved into a regular shaped bigger apartment. (We will move in the next year or so to a living room almost twice the size).

Photo from today added (the other one was from 2004 I think).
Posted By: pmbuko Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/20/08 02:21 AM
 Quote:
That dirty @*&^%! Calculus better not ever find himself alone in a dark alley, either.

What's cal-cool-us?

(name the movie)
Posted By: JohnK Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/20/08 03:40 AM
Don, the usual suggestions are to have the main speakers separated about as much as your listening distance from them, to have them at a height where the tweeters are at ear level, and to have them slightly toed-in so that the tweeters point at your ears. Now some of this might not be practical in a specific room(such as your narrow apartment), but things like upside-down placement(as I've mentioned in the past)or tilting the speakers so that the tweeters point at your ears regardless of their height, can help. Also try to have the front edge of the speakers flush with the front edge of their support, not recessed.
Posted By: Hansang Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/20/08 03:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:

What's cal-cool-us?

(name the movie)

That was a decent movie (Stand and Deliver). Lou Diamond Phillips I think. Funny story, when I was in the Army, some of my soldiers were building a temporary ramp. They were arguing how much dirt they needed to "get" to build the ramp. One guy measured it, did some simple calculation and told everyone else "we need XYZ"

I spoke to him later (he was not in my platoon) and found out that he was a math major in college. Joined the Army to help pay off the student loan. I spoke to his platoon leader and was able to get him an OCS slot.

Looking back, I wonder how much he must have cursed me while going through OCS! \:\)

Who says math doesn't pay!
oh, by the way - FMB should be here in a day or two. Stronger support, better aim, better flexibility.
Posted By: DaveG Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/20/08 01:26 PM
Your room does present challenges, tweeking the distance and spl calibration settings may also help.
Thanks, all

I played some Mark Knopfler tonight - wow does he sound good through the M22s!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/21/08 02:25 AM
amen. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: After the speaker purchase - advice? - 02/21/08 09:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: donaldekelly
Thanks, all

I played some Mark Knopfler tonight - wow does he sound good through the M22s!

Wait till you hear him through your M80's;\)
© Axiom Message Boards