Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CatBrat My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 03:26 AM
I got bored, so I thought I'd post some pictures of my Living Room HT project, so far, just for fun. Cell phone pictures.

Boss inspecting hole cut for W100. I removed the stud in the middle. It was not the same one the TV was mounted to because there's a floor between the 2. It's a tri-level house.

After W100 mounted.

Different view.

Waiting on ordering W22 and installing them next. Position them as far as possible away from TV, meaning removing more studs, but will attempt to strengthen support of what's left. Then an RF remote with electronics mounted in room behind wall for a clean look. Will use a PCV pipe in wall to transfer cables from electronics to TV, and use HT wall plates for speaker wires.

Edit: The wall color is closer to the red/orange in the 1st picture, not the pink that the other 2 look like.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 03:33 AM
Cat(Boss) looks in wall....

"Uhhh...is this waterpipe supposed to be cut off here?"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 04:40 AM
You sealed the cat in behind the speaker, right?
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 04:46 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko

Is your non-cat self trying to break through? ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 01:39 PM

I was wondering why the walls kept meowing.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 02:09 PM
Keep up the good work!
Posted By: RickF Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 04:25 PM
Looking good Brian!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 07:24 PM
Not mounting the M22s on the wall as well?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 02/28/10 08:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Not mounting the M22s on the wall as well?

My original intention was to convert my largest bedroom into a small HT, so I ordered the M22's. Then another idea hijacked that one for a while. To upgrade the living room HT first. (it was a HTIB and 26 inch tv. pity.) So I'm in the middle of the hijacking project at the moment. I'll store and use the M22's at a later time.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 01:17 AM
I forgot to mention, the funniest part of all this with the cat, is after I snapped that picture, I went into another room, then came back only to see the tail end of the cat sticking out of the hole and 2 feet and legs kicking away at the wall trying to get through the hole. I pulled her out by her back legs.
Posted By: davew Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 06:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat

I was wondering why the walls kept meowing.

About 2 years ago my future son-in-law heard meowing in the wall in his bathroom. It didn't go away even after a day or so. He pulled off some of the wallboard (even though he was living in an apartment) and pulled out a kitten. The next day he found another kitten in the same wall. It turns out that a feral cat had a litter in the attic area and these two kittens had fallen down the inside of the wall. So he ended up raising these two kittens and still has them.

So now you know why the walls are meowing...

-Dave
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 02:38 PM
Thanks for the interesting story. Mine was just a joke though.
Posted By: Sloped Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 03:54 PM
20 Years ago, my girlfriend asked me to look after her cat while she was away for a week. Not liking cats, but liking her more I said okay. I got back from work one day and damn if I could find the cat. I looked everywhere for 3 hours. Under beds, cabinets, couches, on top of cabinets, outside etc.....

Then I heard a sound........from the fireplace.

The cat had crawled up and onto a ledge in the firebox. Needless to say the cat was filthy. Covered in soot from nose to tail.

So now I had to clean the world's meanest cat. Someone told me that you had to use special shampoo for cats, so off to the store and with a bottle of herbal, organic yada bada crap of sucker just spent $40 bucks on shampoo I proceeded to bathe the beast.

Side note: De-clawing should be mandatory on cats. Nuf said.

I then blocked the fireplace off so I didn't have to go through that again. I came home from work the next day and sure enough the @#$%(@)#($%@) cat was up the chimney again. Any one gotta match?

I married that girl and the cat came with her and lived for another 14 years but I still never let her forget that the cat still had the most expensive shampoo in the house.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 04:13 PM
Good story. If it makes you feel any better, my brother has a cat who is banned by every vet clinic in the city. It's been declawed in the front, Thank God for the entire human race, but it is still capable of such blood rendering carnage that the vets refuse to handle it.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 04:15 PM
Here kitty, kitty. Look at the nice veterinarian arm papa brought home.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 04:21 PM
You and your avatar are legitimately starting to scare me Catbrat. Even my cat is hiding in the Christmas tree in the basement.

Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 04:23 PM
I can has snowman?!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 04:55 PM
Not to worry. My cat's been trained to only salivate when veterinarians get close.

Edit: But what gets me is the way she throws herself against the glass window whenever the mailman arrives.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/01/10 08:03 PM
The 20+ lb male cat I had (died a couple years back) hated the vet, but was a pretty good sport about his checkups. At least until it was time to take his temperature. He did NOT like anything going near his pooper. I had to hold him down for that.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/02/10 12:38 AM
I had some sympathy puckers when the vet did that to my cats. The look on my cat's face made me cringe.
Posted By: Sloped Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/02/10 04:41 AM
::Talking with friends::

No really guys, you need to check out the Axiom speakers. They're absolutely fantastic. On top of that the forum has some great advice on setup and troubleshooting of your entire home theatre. Then you can see some pictures of peoples setup's and eventually talk about the face your cat makes when a thermometer is shoved up it's rectum.

Maybe I won't start that conversation.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/02/10 06:10 AM
Aw, c'mon. It's fun.

My cats don't really seem to care anymore.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/02/10 03:43 PM
Poor kitties \:\(
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/02/10 04:11 PM
I just order the W22's. Now I can lose more cats in the walls.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 05:39 PM
The next 3 pictures will show you my delima with the W22's.

There is a floor that runs through the bottom of the hole. I was hoping to find the floor starting on the other side of the studs, but no.

I called Axiom. I'm returning the W22's and waiting for the availability of the new on-wall W22's.

My only other option, at this point would be to move the speakers and TV up 6 inches. To me 6 inches would be too high and I would be looking up instead of straight ahead.

I want to thank Axiom for being so respectful of my concerns.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 07:27 PM
How unfortunate, good thing Axiom redisgned the 22 series for an onwall style which should work very well for you and I would think makes the in/onwall style obsolete.
Posted By: cb919 Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 07:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
How unfortunate, good thing Axiom redisgned the 22 series for an onwall style which should work very well for you and I would think makes the in/onwall style obsolete.

I don't think the true on-wall will make the in/on wall design obsolete. I am happy they went with a full on-wall solution as I thought it was missing from their lineup, but the current W design is one of the reasons I chose these in the 1st place. I thought this was a unique design that mitigated some of the natural compromise of decreased cabinet volume in a true on-wall solution. In fact, try to find a full on-wall solution that can reach down to 80Hz +-3dB that isn't crazily priced. That and discovering the QS8's is what lead me to Axiom.

I don't know what Axiom's plans are, but I do hope that they keep the current design available for those that can accomodate this design in their walls.
Posted By: cb919 Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 07:45 PM
And Catbrat - very glad that Axiom is looking after you. I am very curious to learn more about their up and coming on-wall design and what your impressions will be. Good luck!
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 07:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: cb919
[ I thought this was a unique design that mitigated some of the natural compromise of decreased cabinet volume in a true on-wall solution. In fact, try to find a full on-wall solution that can reach down to 80Hz +-3dB that isn't crazily priced. That and discovering the QS8's is what lead me to Axiom.

I don't know what Axiom's plans are, but I do hope that they keep the current design available for those that can accomodate this design in their walls.
I do not forsee too many people looking to buy an onwall that requires them to put holes in their walls. The W series as it now stands, I predict is destined to go the same way as the M40. The simpler ease of installation of the new On Wall series will win.
Posted By: cb919 Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 08:19 PM
Yeah Jay, you're probably right. I was thinking of it technically, not from a general consumer point of view. The ease of installation will likely win over the benefit of the larger cabinet volume. Especially if the new design sounds 'similarly good' to the current design. I just don't like to think I bought an obsolete product ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 08:25 PM
I'm keeping the W100. It may be obsolete someday soon too. But I've had it beyond the 30 day trial and I really don't want to have to fix another hole in the wall. \:\)

I'm adding more wood to the left of the stud that's there with some liquid nails because the center for the next bracket will be close to the left edge of the existing stud. Fortunately there's a stud in exact center of where the bracket will go for the left speaker.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 09:25 PM
Don't get me wrong I agree with you, the better product I beleive is the W22 as it stands(pure speculation on my part as I have listened to neither), but we all know the better product doesn't always win.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 09:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: cb919
[quote=jakewash] the current W design is one of the reasons I chose these in the 1st place. I thought this was a unique design that mitigated some of the natural compromise of decreased cabinet volume in a true on-wall solution. In fact, try to find a full on-wall solution that can reach down to 80Hz +-3dB that isn't crazily priced. That and discovering the QS8's is what lead me to Axiom.

The W's is what brought me to the Axiom website the first time from an internet search for in-wall speakers and also why I stayed researched. And the reason I bought was the W's and QSs.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 10:34 PM
I cared too much about being able to tune the speakers by moving them around, that's why I didn't go with in/on walls. But if I would have cared more about a clean look and less about being able to move the speaker around, I definately would have gone with the in-walls over the on-walls. I'm sure some people would not want to cut a hole in their wall, but 'clean-look' fanatics would cut them in a heart beat to hide them away neatly.

Therefore I hope Axiom keeeps them in their line-up as they are a fantastic buy for the price compared to other in-walls which I doubt sound near as good, but cost much more.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 11:02 PM
After talking to JC, the on walls will look exactly like the on/in walls after mounting them. They just don't have the back section that sticks out. I'm hoping that they will sound as good. I can't see where the little 4 inch section in the back would help all that much.

Edit: I plan to put a hole through the wall to the other room behind the speakers into a closet where the electonics will go, after I get an RF remote.
Posted By: cb919 Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 11:05 PM
Yeah, I'd like to be able to tune the speakers, but my room configuration just didn't allow for floorstanders or even an M22 with an FMB. True on-walls were my only option. Otherwise I'd be joining the M80's club!

That being said, I do really appreciate the absolutely clean look of the install with no wires to be seen as does anyone I've had over.

And as far as value goes, the W's are just amazing. As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I recently built an HT for my in-laws and used another speaker brand on-walls. Sure I'm biased and the rooms are very different, but they paid wwaaaaayyyy more than I did for a sound that is somewhat similar but not quite as good IMHO (even my wife thinks so).

As I said in my earlier post, a challenge is to find an on-wall that plays down to 80Hz at the same price point as the W's. (Note - if anybody does find something, please don't tell me as I no longer care to know )
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/11/10 11:17 PM
I don't necessarily think that the inwalls would become obsolete, many competitive speakers require the use of a cut-hole mount. I guess it depends if an on-wall will maintain a "clean" appearance or not with little compromise...anyway, the consumer will vote with their $$, as long as there is a demand for in-walls, I'm sure they'll be around awhile.
Posted By: Hansang Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/13/10 07:59 PM
Hmm, on wall 22's eh? Methinks that might make the perfect height speakers! More temptation for an upgrade. damn.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 03/13/10 10:45 PM
I may be getting one of the first pairs. They're keeping my money for the W22's I returned and will be shipping these On Wall 22's on or around April 1.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 05:40 PM
Hmmm. The Axiom office must be closed today. I've sent 2 e-mails and called, but no response.

They said they would send out a pair of on-wall M22's on or before April 1, but so far, nothing. Wait, wait, wait some more, I guess.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 06:23 PM
Try pm'ing Alan, Cat. Maybe he'll pop in and can check for you if he's able.
Posted By: bridgman Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 06:57 PM
Most of Canada is closed for Good Friday.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 07:00 PM
Tim Horton's are open, lol.
Posted By: bridgman Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 08:03 PM
Sure, the essential services are still running... police, ambulance, Timmies, firefighters...

It was really creepy driving past a Tim Hortons on Christmas Day and finding it closed... it was like one of those End of the World scenarios. I wanted to go back and grab a shotgun "just in case".
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 08:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Try pm'ing Alan, Cat. Maybe he'll pop in and can check for you if he's able.

Tried that. He must be out for the day too.

Edit: I will bury my sorrows in the consumption of 2 chocolate Easter bunnies I bought today instead.

Edit2: Why aren't there any women on these forums?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 08:40 PM
There used to be a couple. Amie (Ian's wife) retired from public life. Mary still comes around every once in awhile.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 08:43 PM
Speakergrrl would still come around if she hadn't been banned.

Naughty, evil, wicked speakergrrl.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 08:47 PM
Did speakergrrl scare away all the other females, you know, the territorial thing?
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/02/10 08:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: bridgman

It was really creepy driving past a Tim Hortons on Christmas Day and finding it closed... it was like one of those End of the World scenarios.

Remember the train derailment in Mississauga back in the 70's? that was surreal, the whole city shut down completely.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/03/10 12:31 PM
Just to be fair, I wanted to post that Alan checked and the on-wall M22's were shipped on Thursday. I just didn't get a notice.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/03/10 04:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
Sure, the essential services are still running... police, ambulance, Timmies, firefighters...

It was really creepy driving past a Tim Hortons on Christmas Day and finding it closed... it was like one of those End of the World scenarios. I wanted to go back and grab a shotgun "just in case".

Well I guess it's a good thing you didn't. Had you been carrying your shotgun around, and a buddy of your's snuck up behind you to wish you a Merry Christmas, it may have been a bad Christmas for you indeed. However I'm pretty sure the courts would have been understanding about the whole situation...

"Your honor, I'm terribly sorry about putting three rounds of buck shot into (enter best friends name here), but you see I drove past Tim Hortons and it was closed, so I......."

"Enough said. Bailiff, release the prisoner. I hereby dismiss this case on grounds that the defendant obviously thought an incurable plague had ravaged the area, thereby rendering the victum a zombie who would have eaten the defendant had the defendant not made absolute sure of his untimely demise... zombies are after all notoriously hard to kill. Have a good day sir".
Posted By: bridgman Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/03/10 09:26 PM
Yeah, the courts in Mississauga are a lot more understanding than the ones closer to downtown Toronto.

Maybe they get more zombies in the suburbs.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/03/10 09:31 PM
Hazel McCallion would fire a couple more rounds into the Zombie, just to make sure!
Posted By: bridgman Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/03/10 09:49 PM
I wasn't expecting to get any hits on "Hazel McCallion" and "zombies", but I was wrong...

http://gunslingersjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/mayor-hazel-mccallion.html

FYI the video is about Hazel, not zombies.
Posted By: bridgman Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/03/10 11:58 PM
I'll take Zombies for 300, Alex.

It occurred to me that this thread probably was not originally about zombies, Timmies, or why Chuck Norris is afraid to go to Mississauga... I was about to apologize for the thread derailment when I went back and read the *rest* of the thread...

Now I don't feel so bad ;\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 01:18 AM
No harm. We're just killin' time till Cat gets his new speakers that he's waiting on.

Let the Zombie stories continue....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 01:36 PM
Huh, what? Did someone say anything?
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 01:40 PM
Nothing worthwhile since the first page, lol.

When do you expect your speakers, Cat?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 01:44 PM
I was notified by JC yesterday that they should be shipped on Monday. So, that probably means they will get here around Friday or the Monday after that. (Had them delivered to work. It's locked on weekends.)

I've patched up the hole to the right of the TV and repainted that wall and another the same color. Can't tell there was a hole there now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 02:22 PM
I used to play a Gibson electric guitar at home when I was a teen driving my parents batty. Then when I went into the military, I played in sound proof rooms occasionally, but then after that I gave it up and never looked back, until now. I'm thinking about acquiring a decent acoustic guitar and learning a different playing style, such as playing with all fingers or holding a pick and using fake fingernails on the last 3 fingers. I want to pick up a decent guitar at a low price, so I guess I'll just keep my eye on craigslist and see what pops up.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 05:28 PM
Don't worry, waiting oun our speakers makes us all think crazy stuff like that.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 08:47 PM
Here's an interesting site if you like guitars or guitar music. mcphersonguitars.com
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/04/10 09:03 PM
Cool find Catbrat.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 02:25 AM
Nice guitars. I almost bought a Taylor 12 string a couple of years back, another beautiful guitar.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 02:32 AM
I never liked the action on Taylors.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 02:36 AM
I still have my old Yamaha FG 612S, actually right now it's an 11 string .
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 03:18 AM
I'd really love to have a McPherson guitar. Not a lot for sale on ebay today, only 2.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 03:22 AM
Wow! Mine is an GF 630. I replaced the strings a couple of months ago after not doing much with it for about 5 years.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 05:44 PM
I bought a cheap $300 acoustic guitar today from the local music store. At least it'll satisfy my desire to have one. Then I can either give up the idea or get a better one later.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 06:49 PM
What brand?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 07:34 PM
It's a Samick D-5 Greg Bennet design. Paid $240 for guitar, plus an electonic tuner, 2 packs of strings, some picks and a chord chart.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 07:57 PM
Handsome guitar! now you just need git playin' to build up some calluses!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 08:31 PM
It's amazing to me how "cheap" translates between different things and people...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 09:00 PM
When I'm looking at a McPherson for $7,000. To pay $240 for a starter model to me seems cheap.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 09:15 PM
You should have looked at a Walmart custom guitar...you know, the 6 string with 4 strings left for $59.00, then said, "look at the nice guitar I bought!"

Honestly, that looks like a nice guitar, esp for the price. Solid top, mahogany sides and back, $240, sounds good to me. If you like playing, you can always upgrade later.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/05/10 11:22 PM
Si, sinor. Now my fingers hurt. Not going to be as easy as when I was a kid, but I'll get through it ok. I ordered a dvd for beginners to help out. My cat's intrigued. I may have to buy her one too. She can't stop looking in the hole. I'll probably find toys in there soon.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 12:08 AM
You're doing a fantastic job of keeping those speakers that are on their way to your house off of your mind Brat. Outstanding!

..... ooops, I didn't just remind you, did I?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 01:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: Micah

..... ooops, I didn't just remind you, did I?

Speakers? I can has speakers?

Edit: My fingers hurt.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 01:37 AM

Hand turkey?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 02:42 AM
A hand turkey. You know, back in preschool when you placed your hand flat on a piece of construction paper and traced its outline. Then you made that outline into a turkey, with your thumb being the head.

A hand turkey!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 01:45 PM
Ahh. I was thinking about shadow puppets. It looks like the person in the cartoon only has 3 fingers.

Edit: I'm having oral surgery today. Whee. I'm elated. Going to get a bone graft. 1 of 2 that I need.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 04:12 PM
Sounds like tons of fun. Enjoy the meds.

Why do you need bone grafts, out of curiosity?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 04:32 PM
Periodontal disease eats away at the bone. I've had my teeth cleaned by a periodontist for the past 8 years and it always gets a little worse over time. It's either this or loose some teeth. I'd rather get the bone graft.

Edit: I just got home from the procedure. It went about as I expected. Went through 2 shot sessions before I was numbed up enough. Then cut into the gum with a scalpel. Lots of scrapping and drilling, then the bone from a cadaver that's in a paste form is applied. About 20 stitches and covered with a caste that resembles silly putty that has to stay for the next week. I took today off from work so I can apply an ice pack to it today.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 05:48 PM
**shudder**

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 06:52 PM
Thanks. On the bright side, this is the 2nd day with my new guitar and most of the pain in my fingers is absent even after practicing on/off for the past 2 hours. Could be the pain meds I'm taking, I guess. I didn't think of that until now.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 07:57 PM
I didn't think of that until now.

That could also be the pain meds.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/06/10 08:21 PM
CatB: I' ve been through oral surgeries with stitches. Sorry you have to deal with it, especially after years and years of your P-Dontal visits. Hope it's in your past asap.

My view of narcotics: If the drugs aren't working, you need to take more. If you puke, you need to take less.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 02:21 PM
Hope your felling 100% soon CatB.

You should probably record some of your guitar playing so that you can play it back after the pain meds are done also. Just to see if they sound as good then as they do now... snicker.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 02:27 PM
I think my cat threatens to run away from home whenever I play it.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 06:27 PM
Hey, have you ever played the Jingle Cats CD for your kitties?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 06:49 PM
Nope never heard of it. I checked out the on-line site. I'm not sure what to think of it yet.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 07:25 PM
I have a used copy I'd be willing to sell, cheap.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 07:40 PM
If you give me $20, I'll take if off of your hands.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/07/10 11:02 PM
You could have held out for a lot more, Brian.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/11/10 06:38 PM
For a subwoofer for my living room, I'm thinking an EP175 would work for it. The dimensions are 12 x 17 x 10 with a couple of openings to other rooms. I'd like to stick with Axiom and I'm trying to keep the cost at a minimum.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/11/10 07:28 PM
I'll be interested to find out what you think. We don't hear much about the 125 and the 175 'round these parts.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/12/10 03:04 PM
While your living room isn't the largest room we've seen on this board, it isn't all that small either. And while the EP125 & EP175 are designed primarily for smaller area's, I'm thinking that with either unit mentioned you may very well hear the bass notes alright, but I don't know that you'll feel them all that much.

This is just an opinion mind you, I really have nothing to back that claim up. However in your shoes I would probably search for something with a little more muscle. Then again, perhaps you don't need the furniture to shake?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/12/10 05:05 PM
I'm not looking for something really impressive for this room. I plan on a dedicated HT room later. This is just for a more modest setup that I can live with until I can afford the other. Although the other will only be using my M22's with a bigger sub, surrounds, and VP150, which will be more than adequate for that room. I just need something to fill in the missing bass for the on-wall M22's at a modest cost.
Posted By: Hansang Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/13/10 03:02 AM
Our vacation home (sort of a vacation home) has EP175 with similar dimensions. If anything, it's probably smaller. I wasn't that impressed with 175. I had size limitations so I really didn't have a choice. But keep in mind that I'm rather spoiled and biased by my EP500! YMMV.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/13/10 01:37 PM
Well, if I don't like it, I can always send it back.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/13/10 02:15 PM
That you can.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/13/10 02:26 PM
My next HT purchase will be an RF remote, but I'm still uncertain which one to get. I want to be able to do certain things (duh) that I now do with the remotes I have, but some of those things are a matter of rotating through choices. Since there is no OSD from my receiver, rotating though choices seems to be a difficult if not impossible thing to accomplish. I like a certain audio option. Sometimes when I turn on the receiver it starts at that point, other times it doesn't, and I haven't determined yet what causes the difference.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/14/10 01:29 AM
I received the on-wall M22's today and got them installed, except for hiding the wires in the wall. To do that, I need an RF remote first so I can move all of the electronics and wires to the other side of the wall into a closet.

Cons: Less bass. Noticeable especially in music.

Pros: Better sound stage, possible because they are spaced a little further than I had them before and higher nearer the screen. I like the sound. One of the things I wanted with the bookshelf M22's was better highs. These have what I was looking for. Also they sound better than the bookshelf M22's paired with the VP100, nearly a seamless transition.

Can't wait to get a sub and see what kind of difference that makes.

Edit: almost forgot the picture.

Edit: Oh and one more thing, there is 47 inches between the speakers. I can move up from a 37 to a 47 inch tv which is about 46 inches wide.

I sure wish the wall color would reproduce correctly. It actually looks like a dark orange.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/14/10 02:09 AM
Nice efficient use of space! \:\) This is a perfect example of why the on-walls are a great addition to Axiom's lineup. I doubt you could have installed in-walls there without cutting into studs.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/14/10 02:19 AM
You know, maybe Axiom should invent a "folding mount"...one that sits flat like in Brian's application, but can be moved outwards by unfolding the bracket if they wanted to open the soundstage up some more, kind of like some of the articulating TV wallmounts. Then when you're finished watching The Dark Knight, conveniently fold it back in, out of the way. There's probably a few people out there with compromised setups....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/14/10 02:19 AM
I doubt you could have installed in-walls there without cutting into studs.

Check out page 3 of this thread.
Posted By: JohnK Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/14/10 02:58 AM
Brian, undoubtedly a little wider separation did help the soundstage, and still wider would be ideal, although there's no simple way of doing that on the wall where you're set up.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 03:30 AM
Now using the on-wall M22 instead of the bookshelf M22, I'm thinking real hard about getting a sub woofer much sooner than expected. The EP175 crosses over at 120 and the EP350 at 150, as the highest, that is. I'm thinking I might need higher, say 200, but I don't know. I sent an e-mail to sales asking this question.

Perhaps, if needed, they could install a different crossover in a EP350 to accommodate the on-wall M22 customers? Just a thought.

Edit: My AVR has crossovers of 50, 80, 120, 150 and 200. I'm not sure why the sub woofer needs a crossover if the AVR already has one. Can the Sub woofer crossover be easily bypassed?
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 09:19 AM
The sub is bypassed by setting it on the highest setting, on the older subs they had a bypass setting/switch but it is now gone, and using the avr set at the point you want to use. I would think 100hz would be a good starting point and I bet the speakers play well down to 80 so the usual 80hz crossover should be tested as well. And by all means run it any way you want as long as it sounds good to you.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 11:43 AM
That would be true with the bookshelf version, but the on-wall is an entirely different thing all together.

After sleeping on it, I believe that the AVR crossover probably limits the lower part of the upper end, not affecting the LFE, and the subwoofer crossover limits the upper part of the lower end.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 02:07 PM
Ok, according to Brent the OW M22 specs at +/- 3db 70Hz - 22Khz.

I've also discovered that I had an improper setting on my AVR that was causing me to lose bass. I had run Pioneer's MCCAC and they had set my mains to small with 150 for a cross-over. I had manually adjusted these to large, but by pressing exit instead of return must have caused my settings not to be saved. (Grrr)

With the speakers set at large I get a whole lot more bass, but it sounds strained on the low end, so I set them back to small with 80 for a cross-over and now I'm in business. Next week I'll order the EP175v2 with it set at 80hz and it should sound just fine. Room is 1800 cu sq ft.

Edit: I almost changed my mind to the SVS pb10-nsd, but the much smaller size of the EP175v2 changed it back. Cinnamon Beech (Black Grille)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 08:44 PM
It was an all day job, but I finally got-er-done. Wires hidden and electronics in closet behind wall.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 08:52 PM
With naked speakers.

Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 08:56 PM
Ah now that's the stuff! Remarkable what cleaning up the wires does for the look isn't it! Looks great Cat!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 09:16 PM
Nice! If you showed that to yourself 15 years ago, your 15 years younger self would probably faint from awesomeness overload. \:\)
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 10:20 PM
Cat: You just elevated all of KC with just one wall. As a child of the 50's, I'm a sucker for pink with black!
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 10:39 PM
I can hear meowing coming from the vent under the TV.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 11:43 PM
Adrian, you just made my day! LOL!
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 11:47 PM
Anyone else notice the little spy-hole to the left of the surge protector?
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/15/10 11:57 PM
That's for the remote.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 02:40 AM
No. That's to feed that meowing noise I keep hearing.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 02:42 AM
Actually the wall is not pink. The pictures keep coming out that way, though. It's more of a med to dark orange depending on the light. The color is called "Clay Pot".
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 02:44 AM
I just bought a Harmony 900 and trying to get it setup, between the battery going down. I hate to wait for a full recharge.

Edit: So far, it's not working through the wall. I'll have to wait for a full recharge to see if that fixes it.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 03:58 AM
There is next to zero range for the RF with this Harmony 900 remote. The AVR is on the opposite side of the wall from where the TV is. Before the RF works, I have to be standing at the doorway to the room where the ARV is.

This thing is going back to BB tomorrow. Anyone know of a remote with a good RF capability, that they still make?
Posted By: Glitchy Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 02:53 PM
There is next to zero range for the RF with this Harmony 900 remote. The AVR is on the opposite side of the wall from where the TV is. Before the RF works, I have to be standing at the doorway to the room where the ARV is.

This thing is going back to BB tomorrow. Anyone know of a remote with a good RF capability, that they still make?

A small Harmony 1100 review I owe you. The 900 Range sucks, the 1100 much better. The 890 good, but out of production.

I really like the 1100, but takes some getting use too, plus it's 2 handed for the most part and it still feels a bit weird compared to a "normal" remote. As opposed to the 900, everytime you update/program the remote, you also have to plug in and update the wireless receiver, not fun if the receiver is in a rack and hardwaired to your gear (like the 890), but still lots of good features. I'm still on the fence about the 1100, but it's only because of the 2 handed, different format, the rest is great.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 03:02 PM
 Quote:
Actually the wall is not pink...
 Quote:

Then dark orange and black it is. Even better. Propietary paint color names are almost uselsess, aren't they?
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 03:03 PM
Sorry about that. I don't have both time to goof off and time to engage a learning curve.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 03:04 PM
Looks good. Great job!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 05:19 PM
I just traded the 900 for the 1100 and it's separate extender. and it's going through it's initial battery charging right now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/16/10 05:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm
I really like the 1100, but takes some getting use too, plus it's 2 handed for the most part...

I guess no PB and J sandwiches while using this one, huh.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/17/10 12:01 AM
I've tried setting up 4 activities on the 1100, so far, and I've only got 1 to work the way it's supposed to, which is Play a CD. When I choose watch TV, it sets the wrong input on the TV. When I choose watch dvd, it sets the wrong audio on the receiver. When I choose Listen to FM, I can't choose the station presets.

These are probably all fixable, but I've spent 8 hours at this task, so far.

Edit: Oh yeah, but at least the RF is working decently.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/17/10 12:19 AM
I've tried setting up 4 activities on the 1100, so far, and I've only got 1 to work the way it's supposed to, which is Play a CD. When I choose watch TV, it sets the wrong input on the TV. When I choose watch dvd, it sets the wrong audio on the receiver. When I choose Listen to FM, I can't choose the station presets.

These are probably all fixable, but I've spent 8 hours at this task, so far.

Edit: Oh yeah, but at least the RF is working decently.

Harmony Remotes are a learned event... any thing beyond simple takes some thought, but worth it in the end
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/17/10 02:49 AM
Once you learn how to make your own macro's you will be the king of the remote. Your wife will call you anytime you are not at home and she want's to watch TV. Unless you teach her how to use it that is. Which I wouldn't recomend, keep em in the dark I say. There's a certain power that the only person who knows how to operate the remote control holds over all the others. \:\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/17/10 11:09 PM
Well, one lesson I've learned when it comes to programming remotes, is the less you mess with it, the better it works.

In the harmony remote setup program, I deleted all of my devices and activities. Then I started afresh, answering NO to do you have the original remotes, so only the database defaults will be used.

Everything worked perfect, right out of the box, except for switching to stereo mode when playing a cd. So all I had to do was was change mode to stereo at startup, then change to standard audio at exit. The remote already did that switching for me for listening to FM radio and that made it easy.

Everything works perfectly, most of the time. Sometimes when it switches from stereo to standard audio, the receiver reverts back to the default Pro Logic IIx Movie instead of the Neo:6 Cinema where I want it to be. But this only happened twice during the about 50 times I tested it, so I'm beginning to think it's a receiver issue. There's no OSD for this, so I have to run into the other room and look if I really want to know for sure. Bummer.

Now, I've got to find a way to switch between the 4 different equalizer settings I have, which is a rotation problem. There are 6 points in the rotation. If I set an odd eq setting for 5 and 6, then I probably could then identify when option 1 comes up.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/19/10 05:19 PM
Does this sound like an OK way to add an in-wall version of a sub-woofer cable? I went to Lowes today and bought some stuff to prepare for a sub-woofer (EP175v2) installation.

Wall plate near sub-woofer that has RCA to Co-axle converter. RCA on SW side, Co-axle inside wall (they didn't have RCA to RCA). 12 ft of Co-axle cable. Another Co-axle to RCA converter near AVR. That leaves me needing two 1 ft RCA cables, which so far I've only found the ones with the tiny little wires, but looking for a heaver wire.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/19/10 06:30 PM
The in-wall sounds ok but why not just run enough coax through the wall and have it come out of the wall through a grommet on the wall plate and connect directly to the sub or avr?

I use coax that is terminated with RCA ends for all my low voltage audio needs. I make them up myself using RCA compression fittings and RG6 cable, custom made to any length I require. I bought all the connectors, compression tool and cable from Home Depot. Or just order a length long enough from monoprice that is already terminated with RCA ends.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/19/10 06:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
... but why not just run enough coax through the wall and have it come out of the wall through a grommet on the wall plate and connect directly to the sub or avr?

I guess it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, I just think the wall plate to plug into might make for a cleaner look, especially when it comes time to move the sub-woofer for whatever reason.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/19/10 06:39 PM
Only a cleaner look if the cable is left hanging out of the hole with nothing attached to it, other wise you only see tha cable regardless of how it comes out of the wall. also the grommeted plate could be removed for a blank wall plate when things are shuffled around in the room and that port is no longer required, nothing cleaner than that.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 04:17 PM
I finished up working on the wires and this wall today. Old electrical outlet removed and holes in wall repaired and painted. The RCA jack is ready and a new electrical outlet installed on it's own 20amp circuit. Just waiting for delivery of Ep175v2 in Cinnamon Beech with black grill. (Yawn)

Click here for picture before these changes.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 04:18 PM
Like nothing ever happened. But how's kitty gonna peer out now?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 04:25 PM
While I had the furnace air intake grill off, I had to board it up with books on top of the board to make sure she didn't go exploring. That could have been quite a mess.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 05:35 PM
Yah, I generally avoid books myself.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 07:08 PM
Yah, I generally avoid books myself.

Really? No one? Mark, RickF? No one?

That's like asking my dog to watch my burger while I leave the room.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 07:11 PM
While I had the furnace air intake grill off, I had to board it up with books on top of the board to make sure she didn't go exploring. That could have been quite a mess.

Hope your're not lying to us. Can we see a pic of her on this side of the wall?
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 07:19 PM
Yeah, let's see a pic of that pussy....... CAT!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 07:38 PM
I'm not sure, but the white alligator may have ate her.

Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 07:50 PM
Ha, that just reminded me of a story from my Airforce days! When I was in basic training in San Antonio, Texas we were each required to pull CQ duty on a rotating schedule. CQ duty consisted of spending a few hours in the barracks office being a goofer for the most part. The few times I was on CQ duty I usually made wake-up calls and other office type work.

Well the last CQ duty I pulled was very interesting to say the least. There I sat making wake-up calls on a phone just outside the Barrack Commanders office when a T.I. marches in with 5 very attractive female scrubs (and when I say attractive keep in mind female scrubs are not aloud to wear any make-up, so God only knows how good they looked once they got out of basic and cleaned themselves up). They stood at attention outside the B.C.'S door while the T.I. went inside to talk. He had a handful of polaroid pictures in his hand that I got a split second glimpse of. I shook my head after thinking I saw.... no, it couldn't have been that. Must've been something else.

Well lucky for me the T.I. left the door wide open so I got to hear the entire conversation. Seems these 5 girls were taking 'snatch shots' (actual vocabulary the T.I. used to describe the pictures) and selling them to their brother flight across the hall. The guys would slip $5 bucks under the door & the girls would slip the polaroid of their muffin back to them. I instantly realized I'd been assigned to the wrong damn flight!!!

I have to say, I'm sure when you're a T.I. you get your fair share of disciplinary episodes pop up that you have to sniff out, investgate, and take care of. It probably becomes so routine they have a hard time remembering one incident from the next. However rounding up a bunch of polaroids of 5 very good looking, in shape 18 year old naked girls to use as evidence against them is probably one case that wouldn't be soon forgotten.

Almost makes ya wanna be a T.I. doesn't it! ;\)
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 07:58 PM
CB; Awesome! Anyone who'd go outta their way for a cheap laugh gets my vote.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 08:03 PM
The real interesting part is, if the polaroids were just of their snatch & they had to identify the perps, did they make the girls strip down and match the picture to the muffin?

If I were the B.C., I think that would be the course of action I would insist upon!
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 08:07 PM

As a Life Drawing Prof. in Art College for over a decade, ahh, I'd say, "No."
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/25/10 10:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: BobKay

Yeah feel free to give me a call next time you need a substitute will ya buddy! \:D
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 03:46 PM

Yeah feel free to give me a call next time you need a substitute will ya buddy! \:D

I will, I will. It's very difficult to find males your age who are willing to pose. Oh, you mean sub for me? Wish you could have. They were the courses people get "stuck with," 'cause they're so many hours long and so boring. If you've seen 243 of 'em....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 03:47 PM
I ordered a speaker in Cinnamon Beech vinyl. Since it's not one of the 4 common vinyl finishes, is there a longer waiting period?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 03:50 PM
Yes, those have a 5 week advance time, as I recall. They'll probably get a single speaker done sooner, though.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 05:30 PM
Maybe I should start e-mailing JC now and ask him when they will be ready... LOL. I think after my wait for the on-wall M22's he probably wished I chose a different speaker company.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 07:12 PM
Does this mean that I should stop checking my e-mail every 15 minutes?
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 07:15 PM
No. But you should stop phoning JC every half an hour.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 08:03 PM

I will, I will. It's very difficult to find males your age who are willing to pose. Oh, you mean sub for me? Wish you could have. They were the courses people get "stuck with," 'cause they're so many hours long and so boring. If you've seen 243 of 'em....

What a simply aweful thing to become bored of. Almost as bad as being the taste tester at a Budweiser plant. When you're friends call you up and say, "hey man you HAVE to come watch the game with us today, it's gonna be a killer time... oh and grab a case of beer on your way over will ya", and you drop the phone, and run away crying!

It's almost that bad. ALMOST.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 08:21 PM
Honestly, Micah, it's all about context. The excitement over the model becomes sensual and aesthetic. And, even after decades, there's still something a bit creepy about a room with 15-20 men and women in clothes there to study the single person without any.

But just because it becomes somewhat clinical in that situation, doesn't diminish one's enthusiasm for the same subject away from "work." It actually increases one's appreciation immensely.

And yes, a great percentage of woman you've seen nude in a work of art were carefully "studied" by the artist, sans color and brushes. A guy I went to grad school with had a bathtub in his studio and many models were seen coming and going. No one ever saw a painting or drawing by him of any woman in any bathtub. Go figure!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 08:40 PM
I've found the same thing in photographing nudes, Bob.

People assume there's a Happy Ending involved or something, but the reality is, I'm thinking light, shadow, composition and making sure the model never doubts my professionalism. It's really no big deal when all is said and done.

Micah, you're a photographer. You've never done nudes?

EDIT: I will admit, though, it's more interesting than photographing a can of corn.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 08:47 PM
Even better is doing a photo series of a nude with a can of corn.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 08:51 PM
I never, ever want to see your browser history.
Posted By: richeydog Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 10:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

People assume there's a Happy Ending involved or something, but the reality is, I'm thinking light, shadow, composition and making sure the model never doubts my professionalism. my tripod is good and sturdy.

Posted By: Glitchy Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/26/10 11:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: richeydog

People assume there's a Happy Ending involved or something, but the reality is, I'm thinking light, shadow, composition and making sure the model never doubts my professionalism. my tripod is good and sturdy.

Is your nickname for "your tripod" Three Rivers?
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 02:00 AM
Sorry, no nude photography to speak of besides camera phone pics of ex-girlfriends and the like. I can totally understand how it can become mundane in an atmosphere like that however. I in fact stopped getting excited about strip clubs after the 3rd or 4th time I went while I was in the AirForce actually. I guess it was the fact that I knew going in that these girls were going to be taking their clothes off, and pretending to be really interested in us that somehow just made it all very... expected. And there was something about that which for me sort of killed the excitement.

Now if I were in a library and all of a sudden some chick got up on the table and took off all her clothes, then that would be the greatest thing ever!!! But in a strip club... I'll pass.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 05:08 AM

EDIT: I will admit, though, it's more interesting than photographing a can of corn.

Depends on the model/depends on the can o' corn.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 05:13 AM

Now if I were in a library and all of a sudden some chick got up on the table and took off all her clothes, then that would be the greatest thing ever!!! But in a strip club... I'll pass.

Jeez, you missed everything! It was never "on offer" on any library table, but in between the stacks on the 6th floor. Even this gutter rat was shocked. But, with therapy, I got over it---fast!
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 01:21 PM
If there's one thing I've come to realize over the years, it's just how strong hormones are, and how completely they control you as a young man/woman. I can still remember very clearly coming to the conclusion that every single thing we did in life was aimed towards getting laid.

We eat so that we'll have energy for sex. We work simply so that we'll have enough money to attract someone from the opposite sex to have sex with. We buy the car we feel will most likely attract a good looking woman to have sex with. We buy nice clothes so that we'll look good enough for someone of the opposite sex to... well, you get the picture. Of course I was a teenager when I made this 'realization'. But I honestly believed that at the time. I didn't see any other motive behind anything anyone ever did in life besides trying to get laid. That's how completely my hormones had taken over my mind anyhow. And the AirForce episode only exemplified that point further n my mind. How on earth did these guys & girls even have time to come up with such a plan? I mean in basic training your time is completely taken from the second revely sounds at 6:00 a.m. until lights out at 10:00 p.m. You have no free time, and speaking to a member of the opposite sex is strictly forbidden on top of that. Still, hormones on both sides of the hallway found a way to get it accomplished. Ok ok sure the girls were making money off of the guys hormones, still I'm sure they got a thrill out of it. And we even had one case where a male scrub and a female scrub got caught having sex in the dumpster behind the barracks, and subsequently kicked out of basic training. How in the hell they were ever able to speak long enough to come up with such a plan, let alone both getting past their T.I.'S long enough to pull it off is a mystery... but hormones found a way to drive them both into a dumpster of all places to have sex. Powerful stuff!

The contrast between my sex drive then and now is stark. I'm not looking to become a monk by any means at all. However I now do many, many, MANY things in life that have nothing to do with trying to get laid. When I take off on my motorcycle it has absolutely nothing to do with sex, I enjoy riding a motorcycle... that's all. My HT is all about enjoying listening to music/watching movies in... not putting my lady in the mood for getting naked. In fact, and I'm almost ashamed to admit this, there are many nights where my fiancee asks, "do you want to watch a movie"? So I plop a movie in, start watching, and all of a sudden she'll start signaling that she wants to have sex... AND IT ANNOYS ME!!! \:o

I actually find myself thinking, "I thought you wanted to watch a movie, now I'm interested in this movie, can't you wait till later"? Of course, I've never actually uttered those words, that would be quite upsettng for any woman, I do at least understand that. But I've thought it many times none the less. Now this would never ever have even entered my train of thought as a 19 year old kid. If my girlfriend and I were in a crowded movie theater watching the next 'Star Wars' installment or something and she acted horny I'd have flown out of the theater and into the back seat of my car in a heartbeat!

But I guess once hormone levels diminish, priorities change. Let's wait until after the movie to get naked, shall we? When I was a young man I never thought in a million years I could ever think in such a way.

At least, not until I was like 90 years old and my balls had fallen off or something. ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 01:34 PM
Right now, I'm envious of your position because I haven't been laid in about 10 years. I would love to not have to wait until after the movie. LOL. I agree with the libido equation. It definitely decreases with age, but I don't think it ever goes away entirely. (But for some women, it probably does.)
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 01:46 PM
Yes, but you've also got 9 lives so what's 10 yrs?
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 02:24 PM
Right now, I'm envious of your position because I haven't been laid in about 10 years.

Cat: I seriously, with no jokes, no prurient asides, hope that you're kidding. If it's by choice, then that'd be OK, but if not...

I know not one of you and I've been around here for a very short time. I was happy for Mike D's woodshop successes, felt badly that Mark lost a good friend, glad that you'r cat isn't really behind the HT wall, etc. Your single sentence made me feel the hurt that I see so many of my friends going through--men, women, old, young, straight, gay----no matter.

It affects your life in ways you don't even know--and not many are good. It's not all just psych shit, either. There can be physical consequences from those psych pains.

Everyone deserves to be happy. My life would have been all f'peaches and cream if half of the assholes in my life had not been such miserable pricks. I've only been in and out of therapy for 29 years because so many of the people I've had to deal with weren't. I'm OK; they're not!

So, if this is a constant source of distress for you, I really hope you can take the first steps to finding a solution to this and any voids in your life. Your highly developed sense of humor
is being wasted if it has to be the container lid of your unhappiness.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 02:31 PM
10 years deserves a free plane ticket to Vegas and a free ticket into the 'Chicken Coup' if ya ask me.

Yeah, I doubt I'd wait till after the movie if it'd been 10 freakin years! Good God man my problems pail in comparison to yours. Now I feel like a shmuck for complaining! Lol
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 02:40 PM
lol. Yep, it's been 10 years alright. But I've survived it ok. I prefer this to a bad marriage anyday, and I've had one good one and 2 bad ones. I've also been through 5 years of therapy during those 10 years, though not by choice. During that 5 years I've learned a tremendous amount about myself and human behavior, and have come out the better for it.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 02:51 PM
Well, that sounds a bit better. You are among the minority, since you sought outside advice---and feel better off for it.
Good for you!

And I'm totally with you on the a-good-nothing-is better-than-a-bad-something philosophy. But I guess I was always content to just have a slice of cake, whether I wanted the whole thing or not.

Quite often, I only think I want the whole cake, when, after a slice, I'm good. Only Elizabeth Taylor still thinks ya gotta marry 'em before ya ken do 'em.

And alone doesn't thave to mean lonely.

Shit, I smell the dog's breakfast burning on the stove! Gotta go!
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 02:53 PM
See. I have a very full life.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 03:35 PM
Mmmmm...cake....
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 03:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: htnut
Mmmmm...cake....

You've been cruising the archives, haven't you? I think that's been CatBrat's response to scores of posts.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:23 PM

I know not one of you and I've been around here for a very short time. I was happy for Mike D's woodshop successes, felt badly that Mark lost a good friend, glad that you'r cat isn't really behind the HT wall, etc...

You forgot to mention your virtual meltdown over the validity of Bbigwyres status as a non-fictional character. Not that I'm keeping track or anything. ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:29 PM
lol. Yep, it's been 10 years alright...

Come to think of it, I'm going to envy you the day you finally do find a lucky young lady who accepts your advances... That'll be one of the greatest nuts of all time brutha!!!

I've forced myself to go two weeks before because it's so much more satisfying... I can't even fathom what a 10-year nut would feel like! \:o
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:30 PM
I once went 21 years.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I once went 21 years.

I take it that's the first 21 years and not the last 21 years?
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:46 PM
What the... fer Christ sakes what the hell is wrong with you people? My God here I thought I was getting old now that I ONLY feel like having sex 2 or 3 times a week! You people are like sex-camels, I'd have died of thirst in that abstinence dessert long before either of you had even noticed it had been a while. :P

Oh well Catbrat, I guess you're not even half way to conquering Kens record! I for one don't think you have the balls to beat it!!!

... ummm, maybe I should rephrase that. \:o
Posted By: grunt Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:52 PM
I once went 21 years.

Was that total abstinence or just not sharing with another person? ;\)
Posted By: richeydog Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 07:59 PM
I, um, handily beat Ken's record but won't say how long. Maybe I should get out more...? ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I once went 21 years.

Oh come on, what kind of question is that? Nobody goes 21 years without breaking one off... NOBODY!!!

It's a fact, I once read a study that found that 99% of all men masturbate. And the other 1%....... don't have any arms.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:03 PM
I'm sure the guys who don't have arms have other ways of taking care of things.
Posted By: richeydog Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:06 PM
I once went 21 years.

Oh come on, what kind of question is that? Nobody goes 21 years without breaking one off... NOBODY!!!

It's a fact, I once read a study that found that 99% of all men masturbate. And the other 1%....... don't have any arms.

Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:06 PM
That undertaking would be quite a feet.

Referring to Ken's comment.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:21 PM

I'm sure of it. They just don't call it masturbation.... They call it 'creative satisfaction'.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:27 PM
Wow, this thread sure has gotten 'out of hand'.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 08:39 PM
This thread is entering dutch rudder territory.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 09:55 PM
Ok so I asked my fiancee what she thought would be the most popular way of rubbing one out for an unmarried, armless man without a pet, legless sheep. First I got a long, blank stare. Followed by, "what have you been smoking"?

I suppose it's a good thing we don't have more women who frequent this forum.
Posted By: RickF Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 09:58 PM

I suppose it's a good thing we don't have more women who frequent this forum.

Do you wonder why?

\:D
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/27/10 10:56 PM
Hey they were gone before I ever got here. I must not be saying anything that hasn't already been said. ;\)
Posted By: CV Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 03:52 AM
I'll take credit for the lack of women.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 03:55 AM
CV and his fart jokes.

Always scares em off.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 05:28 AM
I think we really need to have an Axiom homecoming at the factory someday. Billing a couple hours of group therapy daily for everyone could get me one of those cars off of my list in that other thread.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 05:44 AM
Fuck therapy, I'll bring a couple of hookers to pimp out and buy TWO of those cars on your list! \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 05:59 AM
Why do I ever look up phrases that Peter posts? Why? WHY?!
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 06:33 AM
Don't fret, things could be worse. Like... oh I dunno, you could know all of those phrases off the top of your head without having to look them up, like Peter for instance.
Posted By: grunt Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 08:08 AM
I once went 21 years.

You need arms . . . ?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 12:10 PM

Any ideas? Help a brother out.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 12:56 PM
The Japanese are good at making robotics.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 03:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999

Any ideas? Help a brother out.

A dog and a jar of peanut butter works wonders!

Not that I have any experience in that area \:o
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 03:20 PM
What if he bites?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 03:38 PM
And has lock jaw? Geesh....
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 06:38 PM
The vet can remove all of his teeth when you purchase him. Problem solved.
Posted By: CV Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 06:40 PM
Man's best friend with benefits?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 06:45 PM
I've heard that dogs don't get headaches.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 07:13 PM
Priceless posts guys! \:D \:D
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 08:10 PM
We're here for you Cam, even if it means going to jail or becoming social outcasts... a friend in need is a friend indeed.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 08:13 PM
However, we will not apply the peanut butter for you.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 08:23 PM
LOL. I just remembered that there was a girl at my high school whom acquired the moniker "Skippy" because it was rumored that she tried said act on herself.

Wow, what a thread \:\) .
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 08:36 PM
What a thing to be known for! I bet some of the guys would bark whenever she passed by.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 09:27 PM
However, we will not apply the peanut butter for you.

Well, certainly not directly anyways. But Peter might apply the 'Dutch Rudder' technique to help YOU apply the peanut butter!
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 09:48 PM
I think something subliminal in Cat's original post has lead to this. This is the 2nd occassion this thread has dipped into slush in a very short time. Am I too new to know that they all take a spin around the toilet if they last long enough? I'm refering to the threads.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 09:52 PM
No, this is actually fairly unusual.
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 09:54 PM
Is there something that can be done to correct that?
Posted By: BobKay Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 10:09 PM
We're here for you Cam, even if it means going to jail or becoming social outcasts...

"going?" "becoming?" Like no one's been to the former and 5,000 posts doesn't mean the latter. I'm not buyin' it. ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/28/10 10:47 PM
I swear I thought the title of this thread had something to do with self pleasuring one's self no matter the number of limbs you had at your disposal, swear to God!

If that's not the case then I suppose we have sucessfully derailed the very first Axiom forum thread. Good one guys, way to ruin a perfect record!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/29/10 02:37 AM
Great minds think alike.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/29/10 02:52 PM
self pleasuring one's self

As opposed to... ?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/29/10 08:33 PM
It's been exactly 1 week since I ordered the EP175v2 in Cinnamon Beech, and not ready yet. One week down and up to 4 to go. Jeesh. At least I haven't e-mailed JC yet.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 04/30/10 05:07 AM
self pleasuring one's self

As opposed to... ?

[Austin Powers Voice] Allow myself to introduce........ myself. [/Austin Powers Voice]
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/04/10 03:33 PM

Is EP175v2 ready to be shipped yet?
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/04/10 08:05 PM
I think JC might be a dog person, Brian.

(tacks on a couple more weeks delivery) \:D
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/04/10 08:25 PM

No, he wouldn't do that, because Sausage Cat might find him. ::shudder::
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/05/10 08:38 PM

Dun, dun, dun, dun, DUN, DUN, DUN, DUN.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/05/10 11:25 PM
Is dat a Catfish?
Posted By: Glitchy Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/05/10 11:36 PM
Is dat a Catfish?

"Catfish got whiskers and a ... sweet little grin........ but you never know where a catfish has been"
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 02:45 AM
Makes you wonder why people eat catfish, doesn't it? If there were an animal swimming around in the bottom of my toilet eating all the 'scraps', I think the last thing I'd wanna do is eat it. \:o
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 02:50 AM
Ever eaten chicken before? better yet, pork?.....mmmmmmm!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 02:53 AM
Or shrimp, lobster, or crab. Or half the new fish on the market (tilapia, anyone?)
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 03:02 AM
Yah, sole/halibut ect. they're bottom feeders...but tasty!!

Actually, I'd never eaten catfish before until I went south of the Mason Dixon line a number of years ago. I was pleasantly surprised, not fishy tasting at all, very tasty.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 03:04 AM
Yeah, I love halibut. Great stuff.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 03:08 AM
Oh I never said I DIDN'T eat em.... just that when you think about half the food (meat anyway) we eat.... well it's just better not to think about it. ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 03:15 AM
For meat, I only eat beef (well done), some chicken, some fish, but no bottom feeders. No pork, nor seafood. At a Mongolian grill, I eat tofu instead of meat.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 03:52 AM
 Quote:
For meat, I only eat beef (well done)

I like beef jerky, too.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 04:12 AM
Years ago, while standing in line, I read the ingredients of a Slim Jim and the phrase "mechanically separated chicken" jumped out at me.

I pictured robotic arms with white gloves poised over a conveyor belt lined with chickens.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 04:33 AM
Sean's imagination is a cool place to live.

Did the chickens have large talons?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 04:40 AM
That would certainly have made it a fairer fight.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 04:30 PM
Yeah, and if the chicken got up and attacked a guy putting on horse shoes, that would be a ferrier fight.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 07:46 PM
2 weeks down and up to 3 weeks to go, waiting on the EP175 order. The onwall W22's are getting lonely. Tunes need some bass.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 08:11 PM
2 weeks down and up to 3 weeks to go, waiting on the EP175 order. The onwall W22's are getting lonely. Tunes need some bass.

Awesome news! Axiom just released a new product for on-wall bass!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 08:12 PM

Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 08:13 PM
From Lake of Bays, no doubt.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 08:13 PM
The man who invented that -- and you know it was a man -- needs to be put in a room and subjected to Take me to the River on endless loop. For the rest of his life.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 08:43 PM
I'm glad I finally took that down in my family room.

It's now in my bathroom.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 09:24 PM
I have a soft spot in my heart for those things. My grandfather was given one of those in the hospital shortly before he died, and he found it highly amusing.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/06/10 09:36 PM
But, but does it have good bass?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/07/10 02:48 AM
Not at all, plus a lot of sibilance.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/07/10 08:30 PM

Where's that subwoofer we ordered 2 weeks ago?
Is that it?
No, I think someone may have dropped that.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/07/10 08:47 PM
"OK! the warden's looking the other way....on the third 'MEOW' we make a run for it!!"
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/09/10 02:41 PM

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/11/10 03:50 PM

1/2 of the 5 week waiting period have now gone by and still no subwoofer. Sob.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/11/10 03:55 PM
Perhaps that's why they call it a "Waiting period"? ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/11/10 04:01 PM
I know, but it's a hard wait. This being my first subwoofer that's not a cheap HTIB variety. Besides, you'd miss the pictures of the sad cats.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/11/10 04:03 PM
You are in for a real treat then.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/12/10 02:40 PM

LOL. Nuff said.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/12/10 05:16 PM
So they are still not here then?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/12/10 07:49 PM

This is old news (olds?), but it's the first time I've noticed it. "I can has Cheezeburger?" cat died 3 years ago.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/13/10 11:35 AM
I wonder how many of his nine lives were used up by his diet of Cheezburgers.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/13/10 01:55 PM
He could have used a visit from the cardiologist. Paging Dr. Tinycat!

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/13/10 02:54 PM

I KEEEELLLL YOU!!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/13/10 05:08 PM
Eeenfideeelll, I keell You!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/14/10 01:53 PM

3 out of 5 weeks waiting for special order subwoofer has gone by. I'm not sure, but I may have rats coming out of my ears.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/15/10 12:48 AM
I finally got the e-mail from Noreen that my EP175v2 in Cinnamon Beech has finally been shipped, after 3 weeks. I could kiss your feet Noreen. No, never mind, I didn't really just say that.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/15/10 12:57 AM
Well, here it is, the end of the week. I took this week off to paint interior rooms at home.

Monday: Attach 40 grit sandpaper to drill and remove seam in a 12 ft high wall, about 8 ft up that ran for entire length of wall, about 16 ft. Caugh, caugh, gag, gag. Mud up seam flat. There was an obvious pooch, (pucker?), where the seam was.

Tuesday: Sand mud, find more bad spots, re-mud wall.

Wednesday: Sand mud, re-mud certain areas already mudded.

Thursday: Paint largest wall. Didn't like results. Was supposed to be yellowish brown. Instead, ended up with greenish yellow. Went to Sherwin Williams instead of Lowes and was sold oil based primer and a new entendable roller handle.

Friday: Primed the same wall I have been working with and the entire hallway. Done, buy beer. Drink beer. Check e-mail and find Noreen's subwoofer shipping notice.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/15/10 02:20 AM

Yuck! Chicken tastes nasty!
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/15/10 02:27 AM
Ahh say bwaahh, what you want is a nice good eatin' chicken!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/18/10 07:08 PM
How to sleep in a box.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/19/10 07:40 PM
My EP175 v2 in Cinnamon Beech is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. 4 weeks since ordering it has been a long wait. One more day.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/19/10 08:20 PM
The light at the end of the tunnel might make you feel better initially, but just wait until that light has kept you awake all night long... might wanna run out and grab a bottle of Nyquil to guzzle tonight! ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/19/10 08:24 PM
Nyquil, yuck. How about some good beer instead?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/20/10 03:00 AM
Mmmmeeeeooowwwww!!!
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/20/10 03:01 AM
Tomorrow you'll be woofing.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/20/10 10:24 PM

Here's the EP175v2 in Cinnamon Beech. It looks good and sounds good. Had problems with hum, but when I removed the grounding screw in the back, that went away. I used MCACC to set it up. Played the opening scenes of Master and Commander and was impressed.

There's one con that there's probably nothing I can do about without swapping out the onwall M22's for the bookshelf M22's. While listening to music, there seems to be a hole in the upper bass somewhere that the bookshelf's supplied that I don't have with this setup. I'm sure there's probably a method to check this out, but I don't know what it is at the moment. (Software, microphone, etc).
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/20/10 10:47 PM
Room Eq Wizard software, some cabling and a radio shack spl meter and you're all set.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/20/10 11:12 PM
Thanks fredk, I've installed the software and will pick up an SPL meeter when I have the money. 2-4 weeks from now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 01:55 AM
I've been able to improve the sound some by switching my L/R from small to large. Before while watching a "Police" concert blu-ray, I could only hear Sting's lower bass notes, now I can also hear the upper ones.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 02:08 AM
That's good news, Brian! Congrats on finally getting your new speakers, too! I like the finish you got. I've still got a sample sitting around here somewhere. . .
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 03:27 AM
Not sure what I was hearing now because with the Pioneer, when I set the L/R to large it shuts off the SW. I had to set the L/R back to small to get the SW to work again. Set the AVR crossover to 80 with the SW crossover to 150.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 02:16 PM
The Pioneer should also have a Plus mode, which runs the mains and the sub. You can also raise the AVR's crossover point to 120 Hz or so. The SW low-pass filter should always be turned at high as it can go.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 02:46 PM
Ok, I found where that is in the manual at work. I'll try setting it to plus when I get home. The EP175 only has 2 low-pass filters with 150 as the highest which I leave it on. The only other variable to play with is the AVR crossover point, and there are several to choose from, from 50 Hz to 200 Hz.

Does the AVR cross over point only apply when the L/R/(C?) are set to small?

Also, should I turn the SW off when I'm not using it? Or should I try to connect the trigger to the AVR, or something else, like "read the manual"? lol.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 04:32 PM
Not sure what I was hearing now...

Probably that cat you have trapped in your wall.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 05:14 PM
Yes, the AVR cross-over only applies when the speakers are told to use the cross-over, i.e. when set to Small or Plus. Film with N.1 soundtracks have a dedicated information for the sub which will never be sent to the mains (the rule for soundtrack mixing is that the LFE channel should not contain any needed audio, it should be for effects only). But stereo music doesn't have that, and anything for the sub has to be pulled out of the other channels.

Axiom's class D amps draw very little power when not producing sound. Leaving them on shouldn't be a problem. But if you want you can use the 12-volt trigger to put them in an even lower power state (do they truly draw 0 Watts when powered off by the trigger?)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 05:40 PM
Thanks. This helps with my understanding of the situation I have.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 06:05 PM
Check out the Plus mode, but I don't really recommend it based on my own experiences. Your best bet to stick with Small, and try various cross-over points.

It's also very possible that your missing bass, is actually being sucked out by the room. In that case moving the sub around may help.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 08:48 PM
Anybody know of a CD or DVD that generates a continuous sine wave from 20 Hz through 20,000 Hz at a constant SPL that can be used with a SPL meter?

I've checked the web and haven't come up with anything that looks useful.

Edit: I just remembered that I have Digital Video Essentials blu-ray at home. It might have what I'm looking for on it.

Edit 2: Here's one I don't have that has sine wave sweeps on it called Avia II A/V Calibration DVD

Edit 3: Decided to get the spl meter today instead.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/21/10 10:08 PM
Glad we could help.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:13 AM
Now using the spl meter and a 15 Hz to 22k Hz sweep that's on Digital Video Essentials here's what I found. (Using both Large/Plus and Small speaker settings). There's a dip at 50 hz and at 500 hz. Fairly steady up to approx. 10k hz, then a large increase from about 10k to 15k hz then a big drop up to 22k.

It could be that the sound sweep on the dvd is faulty also. Perhaps someone else that has used this method could vouch for that.

Edit: BTW, the cat keeps stealing my chair.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:22 AM
The DVD is probably just fine. Since you have REW and an SPL meter, go the full 9 yards and pick up an inexpensive tripod and the cabling and do your sweeps with rew. It will tell you no only where your dips and peaks are, but how broad and over what seating positions.

The REW forum at hometheatershack.com details the requirements and setup quite well. It really is worth the effort.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:24 AM
I've read some of the instructions for REW setup and it's a little confusing in parts, like where it hooks up to the subwoofer.

Edit: Also I don't have a sound card, but a 5.1 built into the mother board that I've never turned on. It might be easier to install a sound card. Heavy duty tri-pod, I've already got.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:34 AM
Your sub is hooked up as normal on the receiver: subwoofer out.

You take the you take the right chanel line out from your computer to the right channel in on your receiver. I used a mini-jack converter to convert from the mini jack out to L/R RCA out and then took the right channel RCA to the receiver's aux-in.

Don't forget to select aux-in as your source in the receiver or you get no sound. Ask me how I know this. ::rolly-eyes::

Edit: also make sure to select the right source out in the audio control in your computer.

The spl meter is hooked up to your right channel in on the computer.

To test just the sub, disconnect your right front speaker so only the sub plays.

They tricky part is getting the right selections in REW during setup.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:41 AM
The nice thing about REW is that once it is set up, you can measure to your hearts content with little extra effort.

I ended up measuring all my listening positions and various points in the living room from multiple sub positions to learn that the bass in my system 'saw' my room as square. The kitchen and dining area space was part of the overall room.

As a result I had a huge peak at ~56 Hz almost everywhere in my room and no matter where I put the sub, including right in the middle of the living room. As a result, rather than wasting a lot of time on bass trapping (which would have never worked in my room) I picked up a parametric equalizer and just eq'ed it flat. I don't know that I would have figured this out without doing around 100 measurements over the course of a week.

Now, if I want to experiment with multiple subs to take care of some nulls that are not so uniform, it will take me 10 minutes to remember how to use REW, 5 to calibrate and I'm off to the races.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:47 AM
I'm going to need about 40' of cable. That's how far it is from my computer to the AVR. Can I use co-axle, or is there a better alternative, cost-wise?

Edit: I'll probably have the 40' of co-axle if I ever get my outside antenna installed in the attic. Right now I have 100' of cable attached to it in the bedroom. I've just been reluctant to drill more holes because of the way the house is built. I may hit outside before I hit the attic.

Edit 2: Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to this.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 02:04 AM
One more wrench I'm going to, sometime soon, be throwing into the mix is to remove the carpet in the living room where the setup is and installing an area rug. But right now it's painting time. I've only got 1 huge and 1 small wall left to paint. Caugh, caugh, gag, gag.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 02:39 AM
Caugh, caugh, gag, gag.

Hairball?
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 02:50 AM
Paintball.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 02:51 AM
Can you move the computer temporarily to do your measurements? That would make it a lot easier.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 07:35 AM
Cat, you can use the coax you have as long as you are able to terminate it with RCA's to connect to the various inputs and outputs required. I use an old set of coax component cables for use with my laptop, outboard Sound Blaster sound card and any receiver I happen to be hooking up to. I ran REW at a few friends places, it is very easy once you get it figured out.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/22/10 01:41 PM
The computer is actually in the ideal place. Across the room from the speakers. But the AVR is in a different room and I'm not moving it.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/23/10 02:15 AM
Sheesh. I got part of the way there, cable, connectors, spl meter, but I'm finding out I need a sound card. I got sound to go from the computer to my right speaker, but there's also a loud buzz. I was thinking I could use the mic jack for input from the spl meter, but it has to be inputted through the sound card (which mine doesn't have). Also, on my AVR it's called Multi-Channel input, and not Auxillary.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/23/10 02:34 AM
Well that sucks. You do need a line in. I can't remember why, but the Mic in will not work.

Your receiver should have a number of inputs and, as far as I know, any of them will do.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/23/10 02:08 PM
After doing a re-check, my on-board sound does have a line-in. I've been trying to get it to recognize my spl meter, but so far the best I've done, while running the software, and turning the spl meter read function on with it, is I get about 80db with the meter turned off and about 117 db with it turned on where it starts clipping.

For wires, I have a 12 ft RCA cable with male RCA on both ends. One end plugged into the spl meter, the other end has an RCA to mono-mini male. the mono-mini is plugged into a y-adapter that converts stereo-mini into 2 seperate mono signals. It's plugged into one of the 2 mono jacks. The stereo end is plugged into the line-in. (I've tried both mono-jacks, and used the one where I get a response.)

Does this sound right, so far?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/23/10 04:03 PM
I forgot to mention that while I was getting the 117 db, there was only around 40 db of sound in the house from a fan. There's a lot of noise on the line for some reason that I'm not aware of, or it's not connected correctly.

Mother board is a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UDP3 version 1.0 with on-board audio that's currently set at 2.1.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/24/10 05:11 PM
Browsing on-line I couldn't find a decent sound card that was cheap and had decent reviews. So, this is the one that looks good so far. It's a Creative - Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium SB0880 from Best Buy for $99.99. All I really need at this point in time is a sound card with a noise free "Line-In".

Anyone more knowledgeable than me see anything wrong with this one?

Edit: I'll have to open up my PC first to make sure I have an unused PCI Express slot.

Edit 2: After checking on newegg.com, it appears that too many people have experience too much noise on the lines.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/24/10 09:22 PM
Here's the sound card I'm going to pick up tonight.

AuzenTech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 PCIe x1. $130.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/25/10 02:16 AM
Sound card bought and installed. Holy cow. I didn't realize what sound I was missing from the computer's cheap speakers. The bass is really loud and deep compared to what I had.

Same problem with high numbers with spl meter turned off, so, my guess is that this doesn't matter.

The next step was to loop back the sound cards input to it's own output for calibration. Discovered I didn't have right cabling for this. Will have to wait until tomorrow and try again.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/29/10 12:24 PM
Well, I've decided that the EP175v2 won't work for me. I like my music (-20 to -15) and HT (-15 to -9) fairly loud. My room is 1800 cubic ft with 2 openings to hallway and dining room. This seems to overdrive the 10 inch woofer which causes buzzing noises. I didn't notice this until I unplugged one wire of all of the other speakers from the back of the AVR.

So, either I need to order the EP350 ($200 more) which would just-fit under my VT100 (See page 28) 19.5 inch from floor to bottom of VT100, or choose a different manufacturer.

I could raise the VT100 if I had to, but it's an in/on wall and would require more work of repairing the wall.

Or there's always the DIY method....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/29/10 08:23 PM
Does anyone know of a decent sub in the $1000 and less category that has an upper range freq resp. of 200-300 hz?

Here's some possibilities I've found (Before my edit runs out).

av123 dual MFW-15
av123 MFW-15
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/29/10 08:28 PM
I think that's a little high for a sub.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/29/10 08:31 PM
Not for the on-wall M22. It doesn't seem to go low enough to meet the upper range of the EP175, and it's upper range is supposed to be 150 hz. I wish I could get the REW software to work, but so far no luck. That would help me to verify that.
Posted By: JohnK Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 01:27 AM
Brian, don't be looking for a 200-300Hz sub; there's some problem either with your on-wall M22s or the EP175 if they don't have more than enough frequency overlap. Yes, what you say "seems" to be should be verified with an SPL meter or even just running a frequency check by ear to determine if there is actually a gap somewhere around 100Hz.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 02:19 AM
I would avoid AV123, given their current legal difficulties. You could try out SVS or Hsu or eD. Or the EP350, which I rather like.
Posted By: richeydog Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 03:48 AM
I would avoid AV123, given their current legal difficulties. You could try out SVS or Hsu or eD. Or the EP350, which I rather like.

Listen to Ken. Don't bother with the MFW-15. Not only do they have legal difficulties(CEO allegedly indicted for charity fraud), but they can't even get a reliable amp to power their subs. You'll have nothing but problems.
Posted By: JohnK Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 03:52 AM
Michael, no question he was indicted. It was for alleged charity fraud.
Posted By: richeydog Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 04:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Michael, no question he was indicted. It was for alleged charity fraud.

Oops I guess I worded that wrong. Thanks for clearing it up.
Posted By: JohnK Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 04:10 AM
Yeah, you got it. We've handled a a whole mess of indictments, but none were "alleged".
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 05:14 AM
Don't you think he needs a few extra sales to help pay the lawyers?
Posted By: Bakajon Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 05:41 AM

Ah that auzentech is a nice card. I had one for a while but it was short lived for me. It failed after about two years of use, however I think it was because I run a very powerful computer rig and I game a whole whole lot.
Posted By: JohnK Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 05:59 AM
Peter, I heard that sales have been so bad recently that he's going to file an affidavit of poverty so that the State will appoint attorneys to defend him at public expense.

Possibly they should have a fundraiser on the AV123 forum?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 11:30 AM
LOL. Ok, I may try the ep350 then. But it has to be in Cinnamon Beech.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 05/30/10 11:42 AM
Today, at my place, is burnt weenie sandwich day. Having guests over for movie or concert blu-ray and as many burnt weenie sandwiches as you can eat. Beef, of course.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/01/10 01:20 AM
I finally got Room EQ Wizard to function as far as getting sound from the speakers and being able to measure using the SPL meter. But my problem now is a loud hum coming from the speaker I've got the sound card connected to. Anybody out there know how to eliminate this hum?

The little red squiggle at the top was my measurement. I know it wasn't at 120 db, but between the loud hum and me trying to figure out this program it put it at 120db.

I took the measurement from 20 hz to 500 hz. (Keep in mind that my room skews the values) I was surprised though to see how high of a frequency it actually played. I imagine that the EP350 would be similar, since it is also rated at 20-150 hz, only capable of more output. The EP175 doesn't have enough power to apply sound to my room in adequate volume without over-driving the speaker, so I'll be trading it in for the EP350.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/02/10 02:10 PM
Must be a holiday at Axiom Audio. I've tried to contact them by e-mail yesterday, and phone today but no response. (Either that or I've been put on ignore. )

Never mind, I see that I just missed the call.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/02/10 02:15 PM
Maybe the cat's got their tongue?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/02/10 03:52 PM
Countdown on EP350v3 in Cinnamon Beech begins. I wonder how long this one will take?
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/02/10 04:56 PM
Gasp! Tigers hate Cinnamon Beach!!! They love Pepper Black.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/02/10 04:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Gasp! Tigers hate Cinnamon Beach!!! They love Pepper Black.

LOL. But Cinnamon Beech goes much better with my walls.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/03/10 01:39 PM
After having my on-walls set to Large and Xover at 200 for some time, I had a friend over to listen to part of a CD and I noticed that there was way too much bass. Late yesterday evening, I reran the Pioneer MCACC auto eq with cross-over set at 100 hz and I'm enjoying the highs again with M22's set at small. It's not a perfect arrangement, but it's so much better than too much bass.

I think that it could be possible that the SQ of the OW M22's could be improved upon, either in design or with some settings that I can make in my AVR. After last night's adjustment I played episode 1 of Firefly on Blu-ray. I noticed a tad too much highs with some sibilance in the women's voices, but this could also be the way it was recorded.

I've also been running my AVR with a sound enhancement feature that expands the dynamic range turned on. Perhaps I need to start setting this off, especially for blu-ray recordings.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/03/10 04:59 PM
I've also been running my AVR with a sound enhancement feature that expands the dynamic range turned on. Perhaps I need to start setting this off, especially for blu-ray recordings.
I would certainly turn it off for cd quality or better music and movies(DVD or BR) and have it try turned on for TV and MP3s (compressed signals) to see if there is a noticeable difference.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/03/10 05:28 PM
Yeah. That's what it was designed for, but a few months back, I started doing A/B listening tests with CD's and, at the time, liked this feature turned on the best.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/03/10 05:36 PM
Denon has a similar feature and I have it turned off even for MP3s unless they are 128kps or less **cringes at that thought**.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/15/10 07:18 PM
Still waiting on e-mail delivery notification of EP350 in Cinnamon Beech. It's been a couple of weeks, since I notified Axiom of my desire to upgrade from the EP175.

As far as the preceding conversation of where to set the XO for the on-wall M22's and a subwoofer, I've had it set at 100 hz for a couple of weeks now. I'm noticing an obvious hole in the sound. This is most noticeable when playing Star Wars IV "A new hope", during the added-in scene where Hans Solo is talking to Jaba the Hut, just before they take off in the Falcon for the first time.

What I hear is Jaba's voice with the upper range coming from the OW M22, and the very lowest range coming from the subwoofer. It's a very unnatural sound. I would be interested to see what others hear at this point. Especially those with OW or IWOW M22's. Please state what XO points you are using also.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/15/10 07:28 PM
One other place I've heard a big difference between bookshelf M22 and OW M22 is the opening scene in Serenity, where they are in landing descent in an atmosphere and the ship is being shaken about. The bookshelf M22 has a loud rattling noise, whereas the OW M22 is mostly silent in that same frequency range.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/15/10 10:16 PM
 Quote:
What I hear is Jaba's voice with the upper range coming from the OW M22, and the very lowest range coming from the sub-woofer. It's a very unnatural sound.

Interesting. You shouldn't be hearing anything coming from the sub-woofer. Being able to localize sound to the sub is usually a sign that your crossover is set too high. I wonder if having a large null in the response enhances localization of the low frequencies below that hole?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/16/10 01:43 AM
It's not about localization of sound, but about the hole. (I know it's the sub-woofer because the frequency is much below what the OW M22's are capable of producing.) It's like someone talking using a very wide frequency response to carry the voice, with the middle part of it removed. Could be that that's how it was recorded also, but I doubt it. I haven't hooked the bookshelf M22's up yet to compare the difference. Perhaps I should.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/22/10 10:03 PM
Just got notice my EP350 is on it's way and I can return my EP175. Wondering what differences, if any, there will be. It still retains the high end like the 175 does. A move up to the 500 loses the higher end bass from 100 to 150 hz.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/22/10 11:25 PM
I have my IO/OW 22's set at 90 hz, the IW/OW 150 at 80 hz. Each room is going to be different, though.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/22/10 11:40 PM
 Quote:
Just got notice my EP350 is on it's way and I can return my EP175. Wondering what differences, if any, there will be.

Keep the 175 a little longer and compare them. When I listened to both at the factory, I did not notice any difference in the upper end. Both subs integrated very well with the mains.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/23/10 08:47 PM
What a week! First the cooling system goes out in my car, yesterday my dryer broke so I ordered a new one, and today my glasses break, so I order new frames.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/23/10 08:51 PM
Don`t type too hard in case your keyboard breaks. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/23/10 09:05 PM
Step away from the computer, nice and slow........
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/23/10 09:41 PM
oops.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/25/10 11:51 AM
I hope my new glasses frames arrives today. I get tired of adjusting them every few seconds or minutes.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/29/10 03:01 PM
My EP350 is on a UPS truck out for delivery, but several of them make stops where I work at. I have a window on the 2nd floor overlooking the front door. Every time a UPS truck pulls up I have to watch what boxes are coming out of it.

BTW, my glasses are still broke. I called the Optical shop where the new frames are to be delivered and they came in yesterday, but they say they can't get to me until tomorrow. What a bunch of jerks.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/29/10 06:34 PM
Things are looking up. I got my EP350, my glasses fixed, money that was wrongly taken out of my account by a different company was put back in. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/29/10 06:41 PM
Send me your EP350 and I'll sacrifice to the Gods of luck.

Honest.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/29/10 09:44 PM
Here's some pictures comparing the EP175 to the EP350, with the on-wall M22 and on-wall/in-wall VP100.

I put on some Lada Gaga and listened to a few songs on the 175 while unpacking and setting up the 350. Then switched to the 350 and the difference is huge. It's almost too much bass. I've had to turn it way down so as not to drown out the sound with bass. At least I don't have to worry about over-driving the speaker like I did with the 175.

The cat immediately noticed the difference. She reacted to the 350 like she did to the 175 when I first got it. She wasn't quite sure what was happening and looked sort of pathetic. But, she'll get used to it like she did the 175. Walking in the hallway just to the right of the system is like walking into a bass tunnel.

I definitely notice the higher power and the lower notes. Can't wait to listen to some movies. I'd probably go ape-sh#t with an EP800, I guess. LOL.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 01:21 AM
Congrats! I am still waiting for my speakers to be shipped. frown This wait is killing me! crazy
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 01:38 AM
One thing I had to do was move my sub away from under my center. It was so close to the center that it caused the sound waves to bounce off the top of it, causing the sibilance to go through the roof. I have it just to the right of the center right now and couldn't sound better.

I waited for my sub twice, about 4 weeks each time. Long wait.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 01:41 AM
I'm re-watching 2012 with the new sub. There is NO comparison with the EP175.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 02:02 AM
Glad to hear the 350 is working better for you Cat.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 04:53 AM
I'm re-watching 2012 with the new sub. There is NO comparison with the EP175.

::in best jewish grandmother voice::

If you listened to us in the first place... </grannyvoice>

Glad you are enjoying it. It may not reach super low, but it really is a good sub.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
It may not reach super low

Dude! Now he's going to want to upgrade again!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 11:57 AM
Sorry to be the everlasting pessimist, but so far the only negative I can find, other than a bigger footprint, is I'm having to adjust the sub's volume level differently for every CD/DVD/BD. I never noticed this as much with the EP175. Too bad AVR's don't have a memory feature to adjust it's sub pre-out per source material.
Posted By: onn Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 12:31 PM
Hmmmm either I'm doing something wrong or you are. I never adjust the volume on my subs. The bass is what it is for whatever I'm listening to as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 12:38 PM
Sounds like you need to adjust LFE levels in your AVR to match music/movie. It is not normal to have to adjust the sub's volume and it has nothing to do with the sub.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 12:42 PM
I'm guessing the sub is set too high. Have you calibrated?

Generally, a good sub setting is one that your barely aware of...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 01:49 PM
I re-calibrated using the auto calibration feature, but it never did any calibration with the sub this time, (seems like it did before?) using Pioneer's MCACC auto eq feature.

I somewhat over ride some of the auto eq anyway by always changing the L/R/C from small to large and the sub to plus. Then I go into the EQ section and tone down the 65 hz setting there a little (it sets it to +10 causing some noticable boominess). Plus set the stereo bass tone to -1 or -2 and turn on the enhancement for lossy formats.

Doing all of the above adds a certain liveliness that is otherwise lacking, plus adds in certain missing bass frequencies.

Edit: I'm going to start using a better method of monitoring and adjusting as soon as I can find something that works. I have an SPL meter, but I need a good sound source that I can play that will sweep all frequencies through all speakers concurrently, and do it slow enough that I can see the readings.

Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 03:08 PM
Sounds to me that you now discovering how much bass or lack there of, there actually is in some sources and are not liking it so you turn it downup as required to suit your tastes, nothing wrong with that other than the constant changing.

I would start using that SPL meter. First rerun MCACC, recheck all the speaker levels manually with the test tone from the Pioneer to ensure all speakers and the sub are equal and then leave it alone as this is the way what ever you are listening to was recorded.

Once you get into a full sweep you may find you want to start doing room treatments and then getting an eq and then.......
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 03:21 PM
I wasn't aware the Pioneer had test tones.

Edit: I think I know what you mean, there's an option to adjust where it just plays some pink noise, one speaker at a time.
Posted By: cb919 Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 03:54 PM
Hey Cat - yup - just go into manual speaker setup menu option and you can cycle through all speakers at will with the test 'noise'.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 04:05 PM
There is also the possibily that your room has a lot of holes and peeks that affects differently the more prominent frequencies for music and the ones for LFE. I had that problem once. The old peeks could have been less loud until you upgraded the sub and now they stand out more.
Posted By: jakewash Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 04:49 PM
Another thought is to do the subcrawl to find the smoothest placement point for the sub. Your current position could be over accentuating some frequencies causing the boominess.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 08:04 PM
Actually, I'm back to square one concerning frequency response. Using the pink noise from my receiver to set the speaker levels isn't going to help here. They are already set evenly by MCACC. I need a sweep that I can run through individual speakers and through all speakers at once, that is slow enough that I can tell differences on my SPL meter. Preferably with some sort of indication as to what frequency is being output at the time.

The software solution (forgot the name) that was brought up a few weeks ago, I tried and ran into a stumbling block every step of the way. The last one was when I connect the PC's sound card output to the receiver's speaker pre-in, I get a loud hum.

I have this sweep on a blu-ray disk, but it's fast and doesn't tell you what frequency is being output at the time. Perhaps I can use this in conjunction with the software program, I don't know.

I'm going to try this disk again, maybe between then and now, I'll notice something I didn't see before.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 08:07 PM
Avia disks have bass sweeps that matches your needs.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 08:10 PM
I think Digital Video Essentials by Avia is the one I have. I'll be taking another look at this. Or, perhaps it's a different disk. I'm looking for a sweep from 20 hz to 20k hz, that's slow and tells you what freq you are hearing at the time. With this I can try room and eq modifications in an attempt to flatten out the sound.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 06/30/10 09:47 PM
Oops Avia is a different brand than the one that makes Digital Video Essentials.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 02:11 AM
Well, I've been playing around with the frequency sweep of 14 hz to 22k hz through all channels that is on the Digital Video Essentials disk and an SPL meter mounted on a tripod. I set it so that pink noise registers 75db, then I would run the sweep multiple times.

I start to pick up audible sound somewhere between 20-22 hz, hard to tell, moves too fast. Starts at about 40db and quickly moves up to about 55db. Then mid to upper bass around 50db, then jumps to around 60-70 db and tops out at 80db when the frequency gets to around 5k-10k then slowly drops to inaudibility at around 16k.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 02:24 AM
I agree with SquareRoomMan.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 02:26 AM
FYI, your spl meter won't be particularly accurate beyond about 2 KHz.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 02:27 AM
It may not reach super low

Dude! Now he's going to want to upgrade again!

Just doing my bit to spend other peoples money dude.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 02:38 AM

First time I heard that one. I thought it would just measure SPL regardless of what the frequency it was.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 02:50 AM
It has to do with the internal components of the mic. To get accuracy above 2khz you need to upgrade to something like the Behringer ECM 8000 with an external mic preamp. The ECM is supposed to be very flat up to about 10KHz.

For accuracy above 10KHz and below 20Hz you need to spend quite a bit more $.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 03:09 AM
Upon checking the Behringer ECM 8000 goes from 15k to 20k, would probably need something that goes from 2k to 15k, but would also need some way to meter it.

So, checking frequence response with an SPL meter is somewhat of a waste of time then?
Posted By: Hansang Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 03:19 AM
Some options (some cheap, some free)
1) http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/TestCD.html
2) http://www.binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd
3) http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/sampler3.html
4) http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/ (not sure if they have test tones)
3) Avia or DVE from NetFlix.

SPL meter is difficult to use for sub calibration though.
Posted By: HAY Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 03:43 AM
Well the frequency sweep I had from HSU is no longer on their site but you can try these... I haven't tried either but Realtraps has been used by lots of people around here.

Different Frequency or Channel

or

Realtraps

Alternatively shoot me a pm and I can burn you a disk of my HSU files.

80 to 10hz
200 to 80hz
Third Octave Warble tone all single files:
16hz
31-5
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 10:32 AM
I have a disc of tones that I created/generated... I don't think I went below 20hZ though. I'd have to find it, but could send a copy.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 10:41 AM

Cat, I didn't see it mentioned here, but the RS meter isn't accurate at lower frequencies either (there's no such thing as a "flat" mic, and certainly not the $5 one they put in there!).

There IS, however, a chart of adjustments out there. Somebody will know where...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 11:21 AM
Thanks guys. The 1st one listed by Hansang seems to be what I need since I'm not looking to connect my computer to the AVR. It's too far away. The last one listed by him looks interesting also, with all of the demo disks.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/01/10 08:01 PM
Man, libraries are getting viscous. It used to be that if you were late with a library book, you would get notices that you owed them a dollar per book, or something. But today, my sister spent 3 weeks in a hospital and nursing home with 2 library books overdue. She just got a letter from the library that they will sue her for $150 if she doesn't return them now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/02/10 08:54 PM
I ordered the

Rives Audio Test CD 2

The only Test CD Calibrated for the Radio Shack Analog SPL Meter, and now with Mapleshade Recordings.

for $26 mentioned here on page 38.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/03/10 02:15 AM
I did the sub crawl thingie tonight and moved it to a place that is now my end table. Not too bad. Got rid if an old TV stand that I was using for an end table. I have somewhat even bass throughout my living room now at all seating positions. Also the floor area by my TV is open again like I like it. Gives the room an open and airy look.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/03/10 03:42 AM
I've discovered that correct sub position is everything. The upper and mid bass that I've been missing seems to be there now.

I'm listening to Piano Jazz and I'm just mesmerized.

Pioneer Elite: with L/R/C set to Large and Sub set to Plus with bass tone set to -2 in stereo. X-curve set to flat. EQ set to on. Sound retriever set to on.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/06/10 05:32 PM
I've been thinking about selling all of my Axiom speakers, except the EP350, and ordering the bookshelf M22 and VP150 in Cinnamon Beech and wall mounting them around my TV.

So far, the on-wall versions just don't live up to my expectations, but the bookshelf version did. It won't produce the look I want, but I'd rather have the SQ than the looks after living with the on-wall speakers for a while. I think probably my next action should be to purchase the wall mounting brackets, mount my M22's that I have and just see if I really like the difference, and can live with the look.

What's bothering me now is the brightness of female voices, I tried to tame this down by turning down that frequency in the AVR EQ, but then I just ended up with an unnatural sounding voice instead. This is after playing a CD that I really loved with the bookshelf M22's, but not at all with the on-wall M22's. There may be some other adjustment I could make, but honestly, I never had anywhere I wanted to adjust the bookshelf version.

Edit: Also, it isn't just me that is noticing this. Without me saying anything I got the same reaction from a visitor. She wanted me to turn it down a bit, because the frequency range with the female voices was bothering her ears.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/07/10 03:40 AM

I hooked my old M22's back up and am doing some a/b comparison. It's almost funny. The bass that I was missing with the On-wall M22's is restored with the bookshelfs, but the highs aren't as high. (I ran seperate MCACC EQ for both and am switching appropriately.) So, I was wondering what both of them would sound like together wired in parallel. After running MCACC eq, I noticed that it set the L/R to almost flat, except a cut at 500 hz and a boost at 8k hz. where before it was widely adjusted.

It's like the bookcase carries the bottom 3/4th of the sound and the on-walls carry the top 3/4th of the sound.

Had an in-a-tunnel sound effect, but corrected by vertically aligning the speakers.

CD/DVDs I had audio difficulty with before being check out.

1) Police Certifiable Blu-Ray. Before was missing high and mid bass. Bass is now restored.
2) Indina Menzel, I Stand CD. Hurts ears with OW M22, sounds right with bookshelf M22. Together better, but still a little too bright on voices.
3) Serenity movie. Bass shaking and rattling noises restored in early scene where Serenity is entering atmosphere.

Going to look funny with all of these speakers, but it sure sounds better. Maybe I need on-wall M60 or M80. Ha ha.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/08/10 01:21 PM
After thinking this one over, probably what I'm going to do will look a little awkward, but it's going to sound really good. Move the on-wall M22's up a bit to where the bottoms are about at the center of the TV, then mount the bookshelf M22's under them on the wall using Axiom's wall mounting brackets. Then later, when I have the money and I find a cheap VP150 v2, I'll replace the on-wall/in-wall VP100 with it and mount it on the wall under the TV.

I don't think I'll have to angle the on-wall M22's downward, but if later I do, then I'll make some sort of wedge bracket that will also grab the on-walls at the bottom to hold them in place.

Not exactly an elegant solution, but one that I think will sound very good.

Edit: The on-wall M22's supplies extra volume in cymbals. I noticed a big difference at that freq when doing a/b comparisions. Also, the system seems a little bass heavy at the moment. I'll probably have to find a way to tame it down a little. One thing I did was change the L/R/C from large to small and set the Xover at 80 hz. This helped quite a lot. MCACC was always setting the on-wall's to small, but it sets the bookshelf to large.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/09/10 05:18 PM
The more I listen to this setup with both bookshelf and on-wall M22, the better I like it.

I just received the Rives Audio Test CD #2 that I ordered last week. I thought I'd copy a few lines from the instructions that it came with for anyone else that might be interested in this CD.

Instructions for Using the Test Tones (Tracks 1 through 62):

The Rives Audio Test CD is a unique and inexpensive way to determine room and speaker response. There are 2 sets of test tones. The first set is a flat response. The second set (tracks 32 through 62) is not linear and is designed to compensate for the non-linearity of the Radio Shack analog SPL meter. This meter is inexpensive and very reproducible. Together with the Rives Audio Test CD you can achieve good quality measurements. The following instructions are specific for the Radio Shack meter.

Placement of the meter: (Skipping)

Setting up the meter: (Skipping)

Playing and Recording Test Tones:

... A spreadsheet is available on the Rives Audio Web Site ...

Evaluating the Response:

Now that you have an accurate graph; you will likely see some peaks and valleys on your plot. The larger ones will be the problem areas that need to be further evaluated. If you have troughs at cross-over frequencies, this should not be too alarming. In most cases the human ear integrates between these troughs and does not perceive them as a loss. In addition to this, there is little that can be done about these troughs.

The peaks are generally the biggest concern. They will create an imbalance of the whole system, so it's important to tame them. In many cases the peak may not be perceived as the problem, but they frequently are. A good example is where someone says their midrange is unclear and muddy. It turns out the midrange has a flat response, but the bass has a large peak at 125 hz. This peak, caused by a room mode, has a slow decay time and is muddying up everything. It is perceived as a midrange problem, but in actuality it was a bass problem. Having a flat frequency response throughout the spectrum is the single most important factor in having a good sounding system.

Finding Pressure Zones in the Room: (Skipping)

Instructions for Tracks 63 through 70: (Skipping)

http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/TestCD.html

Dang it. After looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like I need the other Radio Shack meter, the one with the meter instead of the digital readout. I can probably make it work with the digital, though. Just need to use + or - from 80 DB reading at 4000 hz freq. (4000 hz freq according to the instructions and turn AVR up/down to get Zero on the meter at 80 db).
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/10/10 02:53 AM
Here's the first results after two hours of hard work.

The first chart (BC +OW +EQ +SR +Stereo) is Bookshelf M22 + Onwall M22 + MCACC EQ on + Sound Retriever on + L/R/SW)

The 2nd chart (BC +OW +EQ +Stereo) is the same, but without the sound retriever on. I've been liking it with the sound retriever turned on and now you can see why. It has a flatter freq response. You can also see where at 4000 hz there is a large peak and that explains why the onwall M22 is bright to my ears on female vocals. (Edit: Only certain female voices that can hit this range and certain musical instruments.)

Later, I'll do more charts. I want to see the Bookshelf and the on-walls seperated out.

Edit: I guess that's bookshelf (BS). I can't get bookcase (BC) out of my head.
Posted By: Micah Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/10/10 04:08 PM
Ummm... I don't really have much to add. Just wanted to post something in here, because it was starting to look like you were talking to yourself...

.... & I didn't want to see them haul you off in a straight jacket. crazy
Posted By: Jc Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/10/10 04:55 PM
Here's the first results after two hours of hard work.
The first chart (BC +OW +EQ +SR +Stereo) is Bookshelf M22 + Onwall M22 + MCACC EQ on + Sound Retriever on + L/R/SW)
The 2nd chart (BC +OW +EQ +Stereo) is the same, but without the sound retriever on.

Hi CatBrat,

In reality, what you are obtaining are graphs showing the measurements of your room and not the measurements of your M22 speakers.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/10/10 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Jc
In reality, what you are obtaining are graphs showing the measurements of your room and not the measurements of your M22 speakers.

Thanks JC. More than likely, that's true. By posting this I was also hoping I could get some sort of suggestion as to how to compensate for this peak at 4,000 hz. I was wondering exactly what in the room is causing this. Perhaps you need more pictures?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/10/10 07:13 PM
Ummm... I don't really have much to add. Just wanted to post something in here, because it was starting to look like you were talking to yourself...

.... & I didn't want to see them haul you off in a straight jacket. crazy

I was starting to think I was put on ignore by everyone else.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/10/10 11:38 PM
The following is the Bookshelf M22's only (in my room) set to large. The first graph is the BS M22's with all sound enhancers turned off. The 2nd graph is with the MCACC EQ turned on. The biggest enhancement was in the 2500 hz range. All other freq got a volume boost, but that was about all.

Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 12:01 AM
MAAC doesn't appear to have done much.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 12:08 AM
Nope. It didn't do much at all with the M22, except enhance the area of upper violin, piano, harp and piccolo.

Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 01:29 AM
Looking more closely it looks like the scale on the two graphs is a little different. That makes it hard to compare.

From the looks of it, you have the same dips and peaks, but less pronounced. Does it sound any different to you?
Posted By: JohnK Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 01:55 AM
Yes, at least from the graphs, the MCAAC appears to have made a useful improvement in the areas that you mention.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 12:12 PM
For reference I set it to 80db at 1000 hz, but only on the top one. Then I turned EQ on and ran it again without resetting it to 80db at 1000 hz. Zero on the chart represents 80db.

On the first chart when I actually got to 1000 hz, the meter read 81db, so that's what I graphed it as. That explains why 1000 hz is slightly above the line.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 06:00 PM
It just occurred to me that I didn't unplug the on-wall M22's when I ran a test on just the bookshelf M22's, so I'm going to redo that same test with the on-wall M22's unplugged. I did move the M22's a bit so that they were between the on-wall M22 and the TV so that the port on the back of the M22's were firing onto the wall.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 07:25 PM
Here's the corrected chart of the bookshelf M22's only.

Top chart: Bookshelf M22 with MCACC EQ off, sound retriever off, subwoofer off. Set to Large.

Bottom chart: Same as Top chart except with MCACC EQ on.

Edit: Now as to the earlier question, does it sound any better with the Equalizer on?, the answer is yes. The EQ on adds a richness to the sound.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 08:18 PM
Dang... It's one of those days. Just as soon as my edit above expires, I just discovered that what I thought was the bookshelf M22's were plugged in, it was the on-walls instead, running with the EQ settings for the bookshelf.

So, lets try this again!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 08:45 PM
I see now why this exercise is entirely meaningless. On any given note, I noticed first with my ears, then with the meter, that the placement of the meter, even inches difference, can cause the volume to go way up or way down dramatically. Just moving my head one single foot one way or the other can cause as much as a 20 db difference for a single note. I thought that this phenomenon was isolated to bass, but it's not. What a surprise to find that location affects all frequencies.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 09:09 PM
... and that is why using EQ to 'correct' a measured issue is mostly useless. The EQ adjustment is good for just that specific location and will probably break as much as it fixes.

Multi-EQ attempts to correct this with the measurement and correction of multiple positions, but I'm not so sure its all that effective.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 09:13 PM
I was shocked by what I found. I mean just an inch or 2 can make a huge difference, so unless I only have 1 ear at the exact location that the mic was in when I did the measurement then all bets are off.
Posted By: Jc Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 09:18 PM
Hi,
That is why Axiom strongly recommends not ot use Auto-EQ; the only sure thing it does is altering the linearity of the speaker.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/11/10 09:22 PM
Quote:
the only sure thing it does is altering the linearity of the speaker.

Possibly more so than the room already does.

You should see the treatments put into recording studios to counter the effects of the room.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 02:29 PM
Just thinking out loud here. Since I'm planning on wall mounting my bookshelf M22's and move the on-wall M22's up a bit, I'm thinking that perhaps I'll purchase the on-wall M2's and try them out mounted above the bookshelf M22's instead.

The reason being, I can get them in the same color as the bookshelf M22's, which is Boston Cherry, so they will blend in better. Also, they are shorter so they will fit better.

Another reason is both of these speakers (the bookshelf and the on-wall) have different sound attributes. Separately, I think the bookshelfs are too bassy and the on-walls are too tinny. To my ears and room combination. But together is a different story. It's like having the best of both worlds. Too bad I don't have the M80 to compare with. I'm sure that they would sound the best overall. But it'd probably look kind of funny having them mounted on the wall, and stick out too far.

Edit: M2 maybe not a good idea. I just remembered what Dean said about them being 2db less than the M22. Is it 2db less because of one less speaker? Wouldn't the SPL from the tweeter and the midrange speaker be the same though?
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 02:56 PM
You think the bookshelf M22s are to bassy? I've never heard them so I can't comment but you are definitely the first person I ever heard to say that. I wonder if there is not something else amiss?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 03:02 PM
Probably the reason for this is my ears get attuned to one set of speakers. Then when I switch, (ie from bookshelf to on-wall and visa-versa) any differences really stand out.

Edit: But also, logically this makes sense. You're talking about a big box verses a flat box.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 04:58 PM
Definitely a possibility on #1

However, #2 makes sense if you say "More bass". Saying "Too much bass" makes it sound like the speakers are boomy or something which would have surprised me greatly given all of their previous reports.

However, I do realize that it's totally subjective and I get what you are trying to say. Thanks for clarifying as I was more trying to understand vs. argue.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 05:05 PM
Ok, thanks. I probably should have avoided the word "too". Too bassy. Too tinney. But I used the extra emphasis just to get my point across. More accurately, it would probably be "with a lot of extra bass" and "with a little extra brightness".

The funny part is, upon measurement, the bookshelf does not have a lot of extra bass, but my ears can really tell the difference. Most people would probably attribute this to seeing the visual difference, ie. not a blind test. But I know this not to be true due to a/b testing with certain cd's, dvds.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 06:47 PM
I'm hoping that as an event for participants at the big Axiom Get Together that they set up a big, double blind listening test with a bunch of speakers and let folks have at it and keep their scores/comments on paper, then review. We all regularly express our opinions here and I'd love to actually see what happens in a true controlled listening test, including my own reactions. Would we all be as good as we think? Would the M80 posse be able to defend their turf or would we all gain a new respect for those trained and experienced at listening tests, like Alan?

Sadly, I won't be there cry but I'm sure we would hear about it here at the boards.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/13/10 07:03 PM
I'll take pictures of the listening tests and record audio of the viewing comparisons.

Hmmmm...audio of the visuals and visuals of the audio may not be all that helpful now that I think about it.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 01:32 PM
Since I'm going to have a pair of On-wall M22's left over, I think I've decided to use them as surrounds for now. But I'll have to mount them on the rear wall, close to each other near the center of the wall. Definitely not optimal, but perhaps better than none. At least then I can experience Dolby TrueHD, because this doesn't seem to work on a 3.1 system.

Edit: Also, going to need a lot of speaker wire. I can run them down the inside of a wall, then out to just over the baseboard for a short run to another area where I've previously drilled a hole inside the wall to go to the basement. Then across the basement ceiling (unfinished) and up to the closet where the AVR resides.

Edit2: I've been wanting to prep and paint this wall for sometime anyway. Looks like now's a good time to get started.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 03:17 PM
Some more food for thought.

See Figure 3

A, B, A+B switch

Volume control Except, I don't like the idea of a 12 position switch. Prefer variable instead.

Edit: Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Setup: Bookshelf M22's mounted on wall. On-wall M2's mounted above them. Left channel driving M2 and M22 on Left. Right channel driving M2 and M22 on Right. M22 is rated 3db higher than M2.

Looking for: (A) Switch to turn off bookshelf or On-wall. (B) Volume control for bookshelf to turn them down so that on-wall may be emphasized. Good quality switches that won't interfere with quality of sound, and will work with at least 100 watt of power.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 03:34 PM
It's very hard to build (read: impossible) to build a speaker-level, signal attenuator, which is both continuously variable, and has a flat frequency response.

That's why that volume control has steps instead of a smooth variance.

I just don't like the idea of placing resistors inline with the speakers.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 03:37 PM
I wonder how many decibles each position of the switch attenuates?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 04:56 PM
Here's another idea. This particular product is overkill for what I need, but it looks like you can switch pairs of speakers on and off and it has variable adjustment rotary knobs for volume control.

This product allows for 2 stereo inputs (I only need one for Left and Right channel, although it could also be used for surrounds if one wanted to) and 5 stereo outputs (I only need 2).

Just a thought.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 06:27 PM
I have a feeling that'll impact the audio performance poorly.

It really isn't a good idea to attempt to adjust the volume after the power amplifier.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 06:58 PM
You're probably right, but how else could I decrease the volume in 1 pair of speakers where 2 pair of them are wired in parallel?

I may not even need to, but am planning in advance just in case.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 07:08 PM
Could you use an in-line attenuator? I believe they usually come in 3db increments.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 07:20 PM
From checking around on the internet, I don't think I can use an attenuator. It seems to mess with the impedance.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 07:23 PM
Please excuse me for not reading back further in the thread where this is undoubtedly covered, but can you wire these up as a zone two or zone three off your receiver to accomplish separate volume control or does the physical layout prevent the extra wiring?
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 07:30 PM
From checking around on the internet, I don't think I can use an attenuator. It seems to mess with the impedance.

Have you looked at an L-pad as a possibility? They are usually used to "tune" individual drivers in a speaker. Maybe one of the engineery guys can comment.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Please excuse me for not reading back further in the thread where this is undoubtedly covered, but can you wire these up as a zone two or zone three off your receiver to accomplish separate volume control or does the physical layout prevent the extra wiring?

Nope. Using 2 pairs of speakers for Left and Right channels. Zone 2 is stereo only from a different source.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 07:55 PM

Have you looked at an L-pad as a possibility? They are usually used to "tune" individual drivers in a speaker. Maybe one of the engineery guys can comment.

An L-pad is what is used inside of the volume controls designed for HT speakers. It has 12 steps. Now, if I just know how many decibels were adjusted per step.

Edit: At least that's what I understand by internet reading.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 10:07 PM
I just thought I'd point out that for the past 2 weeks, I've been running the Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH at 4 ohm for the mains by having 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. At least, I think that is right.

I was wondering if it would support 4 ohm speakers, so the answer to that is yes.

I've been studying up on comb filtering and was wondering if perhaps having 2 pairs of mains may be causing the problem when I moved an SPL meter just a few inches during the playback of a single tone I got as much as 20db in sound difference. I was 8-9 feet back from the speakers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 10:31 PM
Yeah, that'd do it. Maybe. I think. Possibly. Nah. I'm full of crap. Kill me now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/15/10 11:24 PM
LOL. But I did isolate the problem and it's not what I thought it would be. It's caused by the on-wall M22's. What I did was try each speaker group one at a time by playing a constant 1,000 hz frequency, then walk across the room. With all speakers on, I could hear a ripple effect, where the volume would go up and down. With the VP100, I get a mostly consistant sound. With the bookshelf M22s I get a very consistant sound, but with the on-wall M22's I get the ripple effect. I did move the bookshelf M22's to the sides and away from the on-walls when I tested the on-walls. The on-walls are 12.5 inches higher than the bookshelf. I doubt that raising the bookshelf M22 by 12.5 inches would cause that effect.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/16/10 01:53 AM
This version 3 upgrade stuff is hypnotic. (you will buy more speakers, you will buy more speakers). Thinking about buying these speakers in this order for the living room wall and just replacing what I have. I'm apparently not satisfied with the on-wall versions, so I'm going to dispose and relegate.

1. Retain the EP350 in Cinnamon Beech.
2. Retain the on-wall M22 Black Oak for surrounds.
3. M2v3 bookshelf in Cinnamon Beech. Mounted above the M22 for increased clarity in the upper end. ($326)
4. Five full metal brackets. ($200)
5. VP150v3 in Cinnamon Beech.($448)
6. M22v3 bookshelf in Cinnamon Beech. ($520)
7. Selling the M22v2 Boston Cherry bookshelf with stands. (-$335?)
8. Selling the VP100 in/on-wall black oak. (-$125?)

About $1034

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/16/10 05:44 PM
I've got my car in the shop because the air conditioner isn't working. Wanting to know if it's a $600 repair or a $60 repair. I can't order the M2 until I know that. Waiting, waiting... Always waiting. I guess patience isn't one of my virtues.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/16/10 06:34 PM
Grrrr. $850 for repairs (at Goodyear). I politely said no thanks. Now I'll go on a parts search and see what I can find elsewhere. They said I needed a new compressor, expansion valve, and accumulator. The car is 12 1/2 years old with 183k miles. Saving for a new one is on my list as soon as I finish with these speakers and new floors at home.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/17/10 08:26 PM
I bought a kit of all of the parts I'm supposed to need to replace my air conditioner in my car at NAPA auto parts for $375, which is the same as on-line which I was going to do until I found this. Now all I need is to find someone that can replace the parts, or I'll end up doing it myself (horrors).
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 01:16 PM
Auto AC is both kind of simple yet complex to repair at the same time. Well, not overly complex but you need to know the steps as it is a pressurized system. If you haven't done it before, you will likely want to recruit a friend who has.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 02:04 PM
After reading over the installation manual that came with the compressor, I agree with you. I'll be taking it to someone with experience to have it replaced. At least I'm not paying almost double what the parts cost plus labor, like Goodyear was going to charge me.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 02:17 PM
Concerning the bookshelf M22 vs. On-wall M22.

I've been doing some critical listening to the on-wall M22 versus the bookshelf M22. It's amazing how you can come to conclusions one time, then come to totally different conclusions another time.

I could not distinguish more highs coming from either of them. I could distinguish more lows coming from the OW. I like the sound of the bookshelf better overall, though. When I play them both together on the same wall, there is an overabundance of bass.

I prefer the sound of both of them together, better than either of them alone. Not because of the bass, but because there is a greater wall of sound. With just the bookshelf, the sound is more localized. With just the OW, there is more of a wall of sound.

In my opinion, I think that wall mounting the bookshelf M22 with the bookshelf M2 mounted vertically above would provide the appropriate mix of wall of sound and bass.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 09:22 PM
Today a friend was telling me about another friend that just bought some speakers. His old Sony system bit the dust. I asked him if he knew what kind of speakers they were. He said no, and made some small shape with his hands and said they were these little boxes.

Yikes.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 09:49 PM
They could have been M0s...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 10:01 PM
Dream on.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 10:02 PM
Dream on.

Great song!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 10:03 PM
You know, that's exactly what popped into my head when I read that.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 10:16 PM
Aerosmith. I haven't heard that song in years.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/18/10 10:38 PM
grin
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/19/10 12:51 AM
I decided earlier today that old Aerosmith is my favorite music.

I still love the music itself, and it also adds a big dollop of nostalgia from my teenage years on the top.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/19/10 01:37 AM
Aerosmith was pretty good when I was on the bottom too. Well, from what I can remember...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/19/10 09:06 PM
Yeah. I'm going to get the air conditioner in my car replaced this Wednesday. Parts $375. Labor $300.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/19/10 09:43 PM
"Complimenting the HD audio codecs, the BD65 comes with 96kHz surround re-master, a function that enhances the sound quality of CDs, and even improves the quality of the multi-channel audio data on blu-ray discs and DVDs."

This is said at this review for the Panasonic dmp-bd65 blu-ray play I bought recently.

Do you think that this a true statement?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/21/10 01:57 PM
My air conditioner is being replaced in my car today, by a gearhead that has a shop in a country area about 30 minutes from where I live. He said that when he's done with it, there's a good chance that I could get snow coming out of the vents.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/21/10 03:55 PM
And you're sure he's not just blowing snow?
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/21/10 05:24 PM
Better than blowing hot air, where air con is concerned.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/22/10 08:23 PM
Today a friend was telling me about another friend that just bought some speakers. His old Sony system bit the dust. I asked him if he knew what kind of speakers they were. He said no, and made some small shape with his hands and said they were these little boxes.

Yikes.

They could have been M0s...

It wasn't Bose or M0s, it was this Panasonic HTIB. I haven't heard them yet.

Edit: Fortunately it's rare that I ever listen to his system. About twice a year. I think I'll take my own advice and just keep mum about what I think it sounds like.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/22/10 08:44 PM
Panasausage!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 05:18 PM
Man, if it isn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. I just paid about $700 to get the air conditioning in my car fixed Wednesday and today, Friday, it stopped working again. I called the mechanic and I'll have to take my car back Saturday afternoon.

Here's the past 3 weeks:
1) The cooling system went out in my car. $250.
2) My cordless drill stopped working. $200.
3) My clothes drier died. $400.
4) My glasses broke. $110 to fix and $375 for new pair.
5) My recliner broke that I sleep in $500.
6) The air conditioner went out in my car. $700.
7) My blu-ray player quit on me. $150.
8) The chair I bought isn't going to work for me and La-Z-Boy doesn't take them back (too bad, so sad, they say).
9) The air conditioner in my car broke again.
Posted By: Murph Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 05:35 PM
That is a bad run of luck. If your going to blame Murphy's Laws, just remember I had nothing to do with it.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 06:01 PM
I think this goes beyond Murphy's law. I feel I should get an award or something.
Posted By: Hansang Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 06:55 PM
CatBrat,
You should go out and buy a lotto ticket. You're luck is due for a turn-around and you might as well as cash in!

But then again, for all I know, your wife broke the dryer to get a new one, and you broke your stuff to scam new equipment! wink
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 06:57 PM
LOL. Can't blame the wife. Don't have one. Maybe the cat.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 08:44 PM
Like this?

Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 09:13 PM
The dryer in experimental physics.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 09:50 PM

Mice suicide is mercifully swift.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/23/10 10:02 PM
Why are the specs different when looking at subwoofers for individual specs vs. when you click on "compare all subwoofers"?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 11:21 AM
Are these crimp connectors a good thing to use to splice speaker wire?

I want to make about a 25 ft. run with a 12 guage, 4 conductor wire, then splice 2 pairs of 2 conductor wire to run to the individual speakers.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 07:42 PM
Why are the specs different when looking at subwoofers for individual specs vs. when you click on "compare all subwoofers"?

They play better together??
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 09:54 PM
Just got my auto air conditioner re-evaluated at the shop where I got it fixed. I previously spent $700 to replace 3 parts and have it flushed, and recharged. This only lasted 2 days before it stopped working again. This time, it's the evaporator core that's on the other side of the dash, which will have to be removed to get to it. Replacement for this will be $350 parts and labor, which will happen on Tuesday. So, grand total for car air conditioner fix is $1050.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 10:05 PM
Umm. Dare we ask how much your car is worth?

I remember you were thinking of getting a Ridgeline a while ago.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 10:07 PM
Value of car. About $2000. Value of car with no air conditioner in this heat, about -$2000.

It's not about car value. It's about transportation without having to take a bath at the end if every destination. Hard to do at work.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 10:08 PM
If you are still considering a new car, there's some very good deals out there right now.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 10:11 PM
No credit, no money. Hmmm. I'm waiting to end a couple of projects, then pour money into savings account, then buy car. July was a financial disaster, but I'm hoping things will start to improve.

If you are still considering a new car, there's some very good deals out there right now.

Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/24/10 10:17 PM
I hear you. If life hands out any more monkey wrenches, I'm opening a plumbing shop.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/27/10 12:19 PM
I'm staying home today while the condenser coil gets replaced in my car and my wallet gets $350 lighter. Around 1:00pm a woman friend is coming over and we're going to watch Harry Potter movies 4 and perhaps 5. She has only seen 1 and 2 and last night was supposed to be watching 3. (Platonic friendship only).
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/30/10 08:14 PM
Negative Orange, Confined Pig, souvenir tee-shirt. (After pig has broked free).

Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/30/10 10:36 PM
Quote:
(Platonic friendship only).

you have friends?
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/30/10 10:36 PM
... that aren't cats?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/31/10 12:11 AM
Most of my friends are cats, well, there's one cat.
Posted By: Adrian Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/31/10 01:31 AM
Do cats do it doggy style?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/31/10 03:59 AM
Do cats do it doggy style?

No, they do it Kitty style.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My HT evolution project. - 07/31/10 11:16 AM
Purrrr-fect.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 08/01/10 01:21 AM
Simon's Cat Snow Business
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 08/01/10 03:14 AM
Cool! It used to be the only place you could go for stuff like that was the library IF they had and National Film Board shorts.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 08/09/10 12:47 AM
I just exchanged my Panasonic bd65 blu-ray player that I bought about 3 weeks ago. It exhibits a peculiar problem. On the average of about once a week, while playing a blu-ray movie, it would quit the movie, display the function menu for a few seconds, then resume playing the movie where it left off of. Weird.
Posted By: fredk Re: My HT evolution project. - 08/09/10 01:56 AM
It was just subtly reminding you that it owns you. I believe Sony has a pattent on the code.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 08/14/10 12:59 AM
I had about 5 items break in a row a couple of weeks ago, and had them replaced at a cost of around $3000. Things I couldn't live without. Yesterday my clothes washing machine broke. I took it apart, hopeful that it was only a belt, or something, but no, there was oil and grease sprayed all over everything, the belt was intact, sort of, and the bottom that held the feet in place was rusted out and broke off.

I think it's time for a new washer.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 08/22/10 10:43 PM
Weird cat video
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 01/05/11 09:27 PM
I thought I'd mention that today I put on Craig's List, the VP100 in/on wall speaker I'm installing in the 1st picture of this thread. Once gone, I'm going to repair the hole and put in stud support for the M2 that's going to take it's place. With CL, I don't have to concern myself with shipping cost. But if it doesn't sell locally, then I'll try the auction.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: My HT evolution project. - 01/05/11 10:20 PM
Oooo, I think someone's interested. Wait, wait. Nope. It's just more spam.
© Axiom Message Boards