AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (Ian), 70 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13326 Members
11 Forums
22915 Topics
405111 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13339
CV 11234
MarkSJohnson 10936
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#404138 - 05/12/14 04:00 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: oakvillematt]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Whitehorse YT
In a way I kinda wish I had gotten mine unpainted so I could match them to the walls so they blend in.

#404139 - 05/12/14 04:12 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: oakvillematt]
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

Loc: Oakville, Canada
I have a woodworking background, so for me, it's very simple just to mask off the speakers, or if possible, to simply disconnect them, and use a HVLP spay gun to re-paint them to any colour I would like.

But I am happy with black

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

#404145 - 05/12/14 05:14 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: oakvillematt]
Serenity_Now Offline
local

Loc: PEI, Canada
So you got them B stock and got the qs8s? All the performance at the right price for you. Good thinking. smile

#404149 - 05/12/14 06:05 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: oakvillematt]
exlabdriver Offline
connoisseur

Being close to the factory, your wait shouldn't be too long. My shipments to the west coast normally have taken less than 10 days

If you use the supplied powered wall mounts like I did, I believe that you'll find them to be great gizmos...

TAM

#404150 - 05/12/14 06:10 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: exlabdriver]
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
Being close to the factory, your wait shouldn't be too long. My shipments to the west coast normally have taken less than 10 days

Once it gets picked and put onto some courier truck it will get to me the following morning.. The problem however is getting them to pick the items and put them onto the dang courier truck.

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

#404154 - 05/12/14 07:48 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: oakvillematt]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Axiom does not keep significant inventory on hand, especially considering the almost limitless number of possible configurations. Even the "stock" finishes are produced in batches by model based on anticipated orders. It's not just "picking" the items; there's a pretty high likelihood that the speakers you'll be getting haven't been manufactured at the time of your order.

#404157 - 05/12/14 08:51 PM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: oakvillematt]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Whitehorse YT
Originally Posted By: oakvillematt
I have a woodworking background, so for me, it's very simple just to mask off the speakers, or if possible, to simply disconnect them, and use a HVLP spay gun to re-paint them to any colour I would like.

But I am happy with black

Matt , have you ever seen that wood panel from the 70,s that has been painted, that's what the QS would look like . No way I would ever paint over vinyl, the results would be dreadfull. Besides that they are on the wall and im just too damn lazy to do anything with them.

Edited by Socketman (05/12/14 08:56 PM)

#404196 - 05/14/14 05:32 AM Re: QS8 & QS4 surrounds for 7.1 [Re: Socketman]
oakvillematt Offline
veteran

if you wanted to paint over them, you simply use epoxy based paint. it will stick to anything. The secret however is a really thin coat at first and allow it to cure. Then you have a good point for something to grip onto.

Another option is to scuff the vinyl and use a blond shellac and then you have some tooth for a tinted poly to work with.

Both are not the greatest idea as you can melt the adhesive that the vinyl was stuck with and it will start to peal. The epoxy is probably the better of choices as it will make a harder shell on the outside and reduce the chance of peal.

The better option is a heat gun and simply remove the vinyl all together, then use the epoxy paint. 2-3 thin coats then sand with 0000 steel wool to remove the high points and it will start to look OK.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.