AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (pmbuko), 102 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404602 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16279
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146987 - 09/02/06 10:05 PM Will a power failure damage a running projector ?
bridgman Offline
axiomite

Loc: Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
So... it's the dark and stormy night of literary fame. Cold, dreary, a perfect night for vacuuming the house and carrying junk down to the basement (ick, did I say that, I meant watching movies).

The power has flickered out for a second a couple of times, not enough to take down the PC but enough to make me think about all the rumours regarding power failures damaging a projector -- specifically, losing the fan cooling during the powerdown period and thereby damaging the bulb.

What do you think -- is this real, or urban legend ? There does seem to be some possible credibility to the "don't switch a hot filament back on again before it cools" warning, but I'm not sure about that one either.

Advice appreciated. Sony PLV-Z4, of course, running in "Creative Cinema" with the lamp over-ridden to "eco" ie lowest power.

Edited by bridgman (09/02/06 10:37 PM)

#146988 - 09/02/06 11:20 PM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projector ? [Re: bridgman]
SirQuack Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Iowa
Very good question John, I would be interested in the feedback as well. I think it has come up on AVS before, but the answers varied as wide as the "speaker break in" topic.

I know my basement HT stays relatively cool all the time anyway, and I'm not sure my fan runs much anyway after shutdown. So maybe in this situation it would not be a big deal. I know that I run my Z2 in low lamp mode, not that this matters.

Randy

#146989 - 09/02/06 11:47 PM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projector ? [Re: bridgman]
JohnK Offline

John, this came up recently on Jason's(zarak)thread about his new TV. The facts appear to be that when the power goes off, both the TV bulb(if any)and the fan cooling it go off simultaneously. Since the bulb is off no additional heat is added and it doesn't get any hotter, it just takes longer to cool down than if the fan continued to run after a normal shut-off. No appreciable amount of extra wear-and-tear occurs. Restarting the bulb while still hot(e.g. if the power returned quickly)is said to be very harmful and most if not all display devices using bulbs are supposed to have temperature sensitive protective circuits to prevent this.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#146990 - 09/03/06 01:24 AM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projecto [Re: JohnK]
pmbuko Online   content

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Indeed. I can vouch for that protective circuitry. I was involved in a training course on Friday at work and someone tripped over the projector's power cord, pulling it out of the floor jack. It took quite some time for the bulb to light up after restoring the power. Not sure of the model but it was a relatively new 3M projector.

#146991 - 09/03/06 07:15 AM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projector ? [Re: bridgman]
real80sman Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Ontario, Canada
John, these Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) are not that expensive, and will buy you enough time to power down. At $99.00 it's pretty cheap insurance to protect a $400.00 bulb. Shoot, my neighbour is even using a larger one on his sump pump.

Don't forget to check out the detailed specs and reviews.

Epic 80/600 + M3's + Custom Finish Algonquin V3's

#146992 - 09/03/06 08:54 AM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projecto [Re: pmbuko]
SirQuack Offline

Loc: Iowa
Quote:

someone tripped over the projector's power cord

Someone?

Yeah, there is this guy that is a friend of a friend of a cousin of mine, he has a drinking problem, where can he get help.

#146993 - 09/03/06 06:09 PM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projecto [Re: SirQuack]
pmbuko Online   content

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Hey man, I was just sitting in the back of the room, observing. The lady who kicked the power out was british and you should have heard her apologize profusely.

"Oh my, I'm so dreadfully sorry."

#146994 - 09/03/06 06:29 PM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projecto [Re: pmbuko]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
A likely story from a Colonist. Absolutely shocking! I've never heard anything of the sort.

#146995 - 09/04/06 12:55 PM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projecto [Re: bridgman]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Bridgman, thanks for asking a question that I have been wondering about lately. Now I may not worry as much.

#146996 - 09/05/06 09:54 AM Re: Will a power failure damage a running projector ? [Re: bridgman]
jakeman Offline
aficionado

Loc: Toronto
I'd worry more about the flickering than the actual shutdown because of the power surges. I'm sure you are using a surge suppressor but they have their limits. I had a board fail in my Sim projector in June which the technician attributed to large surges. It may have been caused by the huge power demands during that very hot spell. A really good surge suppressor is cheap insurance and its worthwhile to know their specs. Call me cautious, nowadays I don't leave the projector on standby but shut the power off completely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.