AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22822 Topics
403191 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17739
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11136
MarkSJohnson 10830
Meanwhile On Facebook

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Friday the 13th . . . oooooh! Who's your favorite Slasher flick character?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193882 - 01/25/08 09:01 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: real80sman]
St_PatGuy Offline
axiomite

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I'll agree with you about the recording quality of Nirvana Unplugged--I was surprised how good it was.

#195064 - 02/05/08 10:05 AM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: real80sman]
Worfzara Offline
aficionado

Loc: London area, Ont, Canada
I would like to thank everyone here who recommended The Eagles Farewell Tour 1. I got it for Christmas and finally last Friday night got a few hours to listen and watch the whole thing.

It was absolutely spectacular. I am not the biggest Eagles fan, but for any one who enjoys music, any kind of music has to be impressed with the showmanship, musicianship and quality of the performance and recording. I think Don Henley and the VP150 were made for each other. Smooth and accurate! The M80’s did an awesome job at articulating Joe Walsh’s guitar riffs, and my EP500 was an awesome anchor for the bottom end. Speaking of Joe Walsh, “WOW” that guy can still rock. When he talks he sounds like an old geezer, but when he plays guitar and sings, he just nails it!!

This is shear pleasure to watch and listen to using the Epic80/500 system.

Thanks again to everyone, and for those of you that haven’t heard this, you are missing an essential demo disc for you Axiom system.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Panasonic PT-AU900
AudioTrak AT-6100
Denon AVR-990

#195114 - 02/05/08 04:42 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: Worfzara]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
I agree, that Farewell DVD really makes me want to buy the new sub sooner than later whenever I watch it.

My HT

#195133 - 02/05/08 07:56 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: jakewash]
Worfzara Offline
aficionado

You should watch it more often then, it might make the new sub come faster. Well, it was worth a try!

paul

Panasonic PT-AU900
AudioTrak AT-6100
Denon AVR-990

#195134 - 02/05/08 08:02 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: Worfzara]
Worfzara Offline
aficionado

I had my brother and a few of his friends over just before the superbowl, and I wasn't sure which song to play for them. I could have simply thrown a dart at the DVD cover and pick a song that way, cuz they are all great. I settled on Joe Walsh and Life's been Good, if only because it's the first song on the 2nd disk and it was easy to get too. Not to mention it's an awsome tune and it's extremly entertaining!!

paul

BYW they loved it!!!

Panasonic PT-AU900
AudioTrak AT-6100
Denon AVR-990

#205472 - 04/25/08 06:12 AM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: Worfzara]
real80sman Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Picked up 2 new concerts:

- Elton 60
- Dennis DeYoung (an the music of Styx) Live with Symphony Orchestra

Played the Dennis DeYoung first. I was reasonably impressed - quite clear, and the content and performances are good. Just not up to either Eagles DVD's.

But then I put in the Elton 60. Selected DTS 5.1, and HOLY COW what a difference!! The recording, production, and mastering are right up there with the Eagles DTS "reference" concerts. Every instrument is decernable, clear, and un-muffled. (I don't think I've ever heard a piano sound so good on my system.) Well worth the money.

Epic 80/600 + M3's + Custom Finish Algonquin V3's

#205517 - 04/25/08 02:22 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: real80sman]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Thanks fo rthe tip, I will be sure to check out Elton 60 as my wife likes his music.

My HT

#205748 - 04/27/08 11:22 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: jakewash]
Green Crest Offline
regular

IMO if you want the best in DVD audio, you should go with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. The audio improvements are just as significant as the video improvements. In particular, with lossless audio you can have audio quality that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio masters. Hopefully the days of Dolby Digital and lossy DTS will soon be behind us.

I mention HD-DVD even though it has lost the format war, because there are some really good concerts that are not yet available on Blu-Ray.

Some suggestions:

- Moody Blues Live - Lovely To See You Tonight (lossless TrueHD on HD-DVD). Excellent audio and video quality.

- Eagles Return Tour in Melbourne (even though it doesn't say it on the cover, this has lossless DTS-HD/MA, on HD-DVD). This is one incredible sounding concert, and also has excellent picture quality.

- Elton60 (lossless PCM on Blu-Ray). Outstanding picture quality. Audio also very good but I think Elton is losing his voice.

- Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds, Live at Radio City (TrueHD on Blu-Ray). 96KHz/24-bits. Great picture and audio quality.

- Celine Dion - A New Day (TrueHD on Blu-Ray). 96KHz/24-bits. Great picture and audio quaity. I am hestiant in recommending this because the concert is too "cheesy".

Not all Blu-Ray or HD-DVD concerts are good (James Taylor comes to mind), so you still need to be selective. But overall, they are significant improvements over regular DVDs.

-

#205768 - 04/28/08 08:18 AM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: Green Crest]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
OMG! a Celine Dion promotion!!! Ban him!!!!

OK I'm just kidding, Kinda.

I'll also add another. It's maybe not audiophile quality but for an older, live recording it was surprisingly good. Bruce Springsteen - Live in Barcelona. Found this one at my local library and was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it. Great sound, good concert. Bruce and the E Street Band have been playing together for so long they are about as tight as a band can get.

#357128 - 10/20/11 02:39 PM Re: Need a great sounding concert DVD [Re: Murph]
exlabdriver Offline
aficionado

Resurrecting an old thread.....

Excellent concert DVD from 2009:

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live From Madison Square Garden

I didn't know that Winwood was such an accomplished guitarist...

Tom
Comox, BC

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.