Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
3 registered (Socketman, a401classic, Ken.C), 113 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12807 Members
11 Forums
22692 Topics
400672 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17698
pmbuko 16227
SirQuack 13311
CV 11066
MarkSJohnson 10696
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192496 - 01/16/08 05:52 AM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: ctown]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
 Originally Posted By: ctown

Its kind of like Jakewash's old sub having to be tolerated because he needed to buy the new LCD TV for his better half. Man, I gotta help him out with capital planning and replacing depreciated assets. \:\)

\:D\:D

Have no fear, I have a plan....

My HT

#192497 - 01/16/08 05:58 AM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: jakewash]
jakewash Offline

There is one thing I find annoying, here in Alberta anyway, when you really need emergency services - an ambulance, you have to pay for it! This makes no sense to me what so ever, but once you are at the hospital you have no charges at all.

I do remember when this came about(many, many years ago) and the reason why(to cut down on people calling for one due to a slight cut, etc), but it still made no sense to me. I always thought if it wasn't a true emergency, like a cut artery etc., then you get charged, otherwise it should be covered like the rest of the system.

My HT

#192516 - 01/16/08 11:54 AM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: jakewash]
Ken.C Online   content

Loc: NoVA
You have to pay for it in the US, too. Just wait until the ambulance bill shows up. Or worse yet, the medevac helicopter.

#192521 - 01/16/08 12:14 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: Ken.C]
jakeman Offline
aficionado

Loc: Toronto
An outcome of our health system is that most Canadians feel its their God given right to not have to pay for anything indirectly related to medical costs. I dunno but having the plan pay for transportation to the facility looks excessive to me. Its demands like that which makes our system onerously expensive and really burdens the budgets of the provincial governments. I'm waiting for further developments in a two-tier universal plan where people who can afford it can pay for different services. For me that is an annoying weakeness of our current system. Ontario appears to be lagging more progressive provinces in this area.

#192525 - 01/16/08 12:37 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: jakeman]
jakewash Offline

To me it just seems wrong to be charged for a health care expense when you are at your most dire need for it.

I wouldn't mind possibly funding it by a $20 fee every time you go to the doctor on your own or even an increase in our health care premiums we pay here.

My HT

#192530 - 01/16/08 12:49 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: jakeman]
Amie Offline
connoisseur

It's a really interesting topic and chez Colquhoun we do a fair amount of reading about it. One source I like is the Fraser Institute because it examines Canada against the world, rather than against the US (which is a much more common thing to do in this country). At one point (I believe 2004) we had the second most expensive healthcare system in the world (only Iceland's cost more) but the 32nd most effective in terms of access to care. I don't think the US is measured in that scale, since the Fraser Institute compares countries with socialized medicine against each other.

Just bringing it up because of Jakeman's comments on the cost of the system.

#192532 - 01/16/08 12:51 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: Amie]
jakewash Offline

Originally Posted By: Amie
It's a really interesting topic and chez Colquhoun we do a fair amount of reading about it. One source I like is the Fraser Institute because it examines Canada against the world, rather than against the US (which is a much more common thing to do in this country). At one point (I believe 2004) we had the second most expensive healthcare system in the world (only Iceland's cost more) but the 32nd most effective in terms of access to care. I don't think the US is measured in that scale, since the Fraser Institute compares countries with socialized medicine against each other.

Just bringing it up because of Jakeman's comments on the cost of the system.

I think you might find the governments of those countries to be more efficient than ours as well \:D

My HT

#192534 - 01/16/08 12:55 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: jakewash]
Amie Offline
connoisseur

LOL!

#192556 - 01/16/08 02:49 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: jakeman]
BrenR Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
 Originally Posted By: jakeman
I'm waiting for further developments in a two-tier universal plan where people who can afford it can pay for different services.
That is the slipperiest of slopes... once the chock holding "universal health care" in place is weakened by two-tier, the government (no matter which one) will begin the slide to a US-like system... it'll creep in little by little... nothing big enough at a time to warrant anyone getting too up in arms... 10 years later, everyone looks around and says "oops - how did we get here?"

If you want something to stay the same - keep asking for more, they'll bargain you down to what you have now... if you give an inch, they'll take the proverbial mile.

Bren R.

#192563 - 01/16/08 03:14 PM Re: Canadian Health Care System [Re: BrenR]
skyhawk669 Offline
devotee

Loc: Austin, TX
There's the usual slippery slope argument... \:\/

Seriously I think there's definitely a big risk of that happening. Also who gets to determine what's covered by the regular universal health care and what's part of the 2md tier "luxury" treatment? I mean some things are easily a matter of preference and not essential, but I just don't know if I would trust the govt. to decide whether a treatment is too costly to be included in the regular plan.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.