AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13315 Members
11 Forums
22873 Topics
404179 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17768
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11192
MarkSJohnson 10878
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203503 - 04/08/08 09:41 AM Re: More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: myrison]
samandnoah Offline
devotee

Loc: Austin, TX
I think I'm going to take Ray's advice and go with a "wired" solution via the linksys product. Will need a switch. Anyone got recommendations or warnings? Any reason not to go with a cheapie Linksys switch like the LINKSYS EZXS55W? I don't know much about switches, etc. so not sure what I need to look for.

Thanks!
Rich

#203507 - 04/08/08 10:30 AM Re: More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: samandnoah]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
I’m using an 8 port Linksis switch and a hard line router for the home LAN. The switch works well, but I do have intermittent problems with the router and the DSL router communicating. One location has a bad Cat5 cable that I probably ran a screw through somewhere between its termination point and the hub. This just happens to be where my boy has his X-box. For this location I used these power line adapters from Netgear. One goes on the outlet where the X-box is, the other goes on an outlet where the router is. These things just flat out work, and work ALL the time. He’s into on-line gaming where he’s talking to folks he plays with, while playing the game. It’s all on-line. The model number is XE103. Highly recommended.

#203509 - 04/08/08 10:42 AM Re: More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: michael_d]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Pretty much any switch should do the job for you. Others may know more about the long term reliability factor between brands. Just get as many ports as you think you will need and maybe a few extra.

You might want to get a surge protector for it and your modem. These types of devices tend to be a bit more sensitive to power bumps than many others.

#203524 - 04/08/08 12:30 PM Re: More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: Murph]
myrison Offline
connoisseur

I bought this one from New Egg. 8 ports, cheap, free shipping at the time, and it has worked without a hitch since I bought it.

I agree with the advice above, cheap is fine on a switch, there aren't a lot of bells and whistles needed for this setup.

#203526 - 04/08/08 12:37 PM Re: More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: myrison]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
I have TWO of those switches myrison linked. No problems after about a year.

#203541 - 04/08/08 01:59 PM Re: More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: tomtuttle]
samandnoah Offline
devotee

As ALWAYS, you guys rock. Thanks. Order about to be placed...

Tom, we'll see how much gets done by 5/5! ;\)

Rich

#205223 - 04/23/08 03:50 PM Even More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: samandnoah]
samandnoah Offline
devotee

OK, I'm now the proud owner of this puppy, and have communicated with a couple of you. While I'm loving the AVR overall, the documentation isn't always stellar. And I know I haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities. And that damn thread on AVS is waaaaaaay too long. ;\)

So...

I've only got a 5.1 set-up. The speakers are located pretty much in the std config with the side surrounds 2-3 ft behind the seating positions, and about 3 ft above ear level. They are not on the back walls (which are only about another 2 ft back).

Does it matter, and is one more "correct", which of the surround speaker outs I use? The drawing & explanation in the manual (p.72) thoroughly befuddled me. Should I be using "Surround Speaker A" or "Surround Speaker B"? Since you can't hook up 9 speakers to the AVR, I'm assuming you're only supposed to use one of them.

As I read it, I think they are recommeding Surround B, but sure could use some feedback.

And I think myrison may have solved my surround issue. I'm using the PS3 (with latest FW updates) as the primary source right now, and in one thread i read to use the PCM out. I wasn't getting the surround effects that I thought I would, and he helped steer me back to bitstream. I think that's the ticket.

By the way, I love the internet radio options. The excitement may fade with time, but right now I'm loving exploring all of those options and hearing them in decent quality. Nothing like an Electronica station from Poland. \:\)

Rich

#205226 - 04/23/08 03:57 PM Re: Even More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: samandnoah]
myrison Offline
connoisseur

Rich... so, I know I told you I'm traveling for work and busy... but here I am reading the boards.

According to what someone told me way back somewhere in this post, you actually can hook up speakers to both A&B if you want the real movie theater effect and you have an amazingly long room (which I know you don't, so I believe that would be complete overkill). I have a 20' long room and use the A setting. I think I could just as easily use B with no effect on sound.

For the PS3, you do need to change to PCM for Dolby TrueHD and maybe a couple of others that I can't remember right now... other than that, I use bitstream.

#205229 - 04/23/08 04:10 PM Re: Even More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: myrison]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have mine hooked to surround A.

#205232 - 04/23/08 04:19 PM Re: Even More Denon 3808 questions... [Re: terzaghi]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
So, Denon presents Rich with a simple A or B question.

Rich picks B.

Interesting.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.