AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Greg's pseudo-HT room
EP175v4 with M3v4
Who's Online
1 registered (bridgman), 55 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13336 Members
11 Forums
22945 Topics
405843 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17809
pmbuko 16298
SirQuack 13344
CV 11273
MarkSJohnson 10966
Meanwhile On Facebook

Shopping made easy! Need it by the 24th? Upgrade to air shipping for just $20!...

Just two more days! Better tell your gift-givers! http://axiomaudio.com/holida...

So many people took advantage of the weekend sales! Lots of auditioning about t...

Only a few hours left to get a gift card worth up to 25% of your purchase! http:...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211115 - 06/09/08 09:01 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: michael_d]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
He can use his tight ass to turn coal into a diamond, sell the diamond, and then buy a player.

#211128 - 06/09/08 09:41 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: Ken.C]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Nice link Ken.

Quote:
ASUS, with assistance from C-Media and ArcSoft, has been able to adhere to the PAPS and AACS content schemes without having to downmix the audio sources

Its the damn copy protection schemes that are causing all the problems!

I didn't look at the price of that card, but I bet its not cheap.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#211132 - 06/09/08 11:41 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: pmbuko]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
He can use his tight ass to turn coal into a diamond, sell the diamond, and then buy a player.

I duno....The clarity might be a bit dirty.

#211152 - 06/10/08 09:47 AM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: michael_d]
Capn_Pickard Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Arlington, VA (NOVA)
No word yet on the price of the ASUS card, but it will run you at least $100 according to online consensus projections. Couple that with a software suite to run the system, the drive, the upgraded video card (assuming you don't have one of course) and a faster processor with more ram (again, assuming your rig is underpowered like mine), and the budget is blown.

#211204 - 06/10/08 09:04 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: Capn_Pickard]
Ray3 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Rochester, NY
Tom - I went down that path (looking to do an HTPC), but once I started adding things up, including software and then factored in the aggravation of having to work a PC into the mix AND keep it problem free, the PS3 became a no brainer.

BTW - Walmart has a PS3 deal going right now. Buy one for $399 and get a $100 gift card (= BluRay discs??)

Have a couple of extra beers tonight and practice your groveling. Then beg Mrs. Tuttle for a PS3.

#211215 - 06/11/08 12:13 AM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: Ray3]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Ahem.

The compression capabilities of my posterior notwithstanding, Ken seems to be the only one here who is actually "helping". \:\)

I am lucky enough to have a periodic allocation of funds from my employer to spend on things like computer equipment. So, my question really relates to how I can best leverage that resource rather than how I can best acquire BD capabilities.

I did quite a bit of reading at AVS, and it appears that you can't get the new audio formats from a PC yet. However, since my receiver doesn't have HDMI switching, the point is moot at the moment. I'd be content to build to full capability while enjoying the 1080p picture and DD EX.

It's all part of my master plan. Bwahahahahaha!!

#211254 - 06/11/08 10:56 AM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: tomtuttle]
Capn_Pickard Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Arlington, VA (NOVA)
Don't take the audio side for granted. I did, thinking that my eyes were much more sensitive than my ears, and also more prone to recognizing 'errors' in the video than my ear were to picking up parts of the audio track that were lacking.

After diving into Blu Ray, though, I am appreciating the enhanced audio as much as I am appreciating the video quality. The sound is so rich and full, it's hard to explain. Imaging is superb. I no longer hear my speakers. I just hear sound eminating from space. It's gorgeous.

If you're so flush with cash, why not do both? You can send any leftover funds to a small account I keep off shore.

#211270 - 06/11/08 12:40 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: Capn_Pickard]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
You just don't want me to be happy, do you? You're just like that bastard JP. Any my kids.

#211274 - 06/11/08 12:47 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: tomtuttle]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Ya, sounds like you need to just suck it up and buy the player....AND a new audio processor. The Capt is definitely right. The improvement in sound is pretty much guaranteed on all the disks. PQ is hit and miss with some of the older films.

#211277 - 06/11/08 12:56 PM Re: Blu-Ray HTPC Drives [Re: michael_d]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
PS3!!!

And for me to promote buying anything from Sony, I have to really believe it's worth it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.