AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
4 registered (fredk, Da_Gimp_Pimp, difeng, nickbuol), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13326 Members
11 Forums
22918 Topics
405128 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13339
CV 11235
MarkSJohnson 10938
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#248106 - 02/20/09 06:24 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: davekro]
fredk Online   happy
axiomite

Loc: Canada
For on-wall, I don't think it matters that much unless you are right up by the ceiling. Then there might be an advantage to being able to angle the speaker down a little.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#248109 - 02/20/09 06:34 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: fredk]
myrison Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Austin, TX
The way the QS8s are designed with drivers firing in every direction, there's not a lot to gain by tilting them one way or the other. I have mine (sides & rears) flush mounted on the walls and they sound wonderful.

Jason

#248113 - 02/20/09 07:09 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: myrison]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
For the rears, if you're going to get the C-FMB anyway, you'd have options.

For the surrounds (sides), I don't think there is any advantage to not using the included T-bracket (flush mount on wall) as long as you can mount them at a "reasonable" height.

#248114 - 02/20/09 07:10 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: myrison]
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
 Originally Posted By: myrison
The way the QS8s are designed with drivers firing in every direction, there's not a lot to gain by tilting them one way or the other. I have mine (sides & rears) flush mounted on the walls and they sound wonderful.

Jason

Same here, plus I believe they look like they 'belong' whenever flush mounted on the wall.

smile

#248125 - 02/20/09 08:16 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: RickF]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Axiom also makes ceiling mounts.

Does anyone know how far from the ceiling they keep the Q's? I'm thinking about going that route myself......

#248166 - 02/21/09 05:08 AM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: michael_d]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
I have one ceiling mount not in use yet, I am waiting to ount my center with it to accomodate a new flat panel which would mean I then have to lose the shelf I use for the center above the TV.

I believe I measured the distance to be 2 7/8" of an inch if pointed straight down, they can be angled for a little more clearance on the front edge of the driver.

My HT

#248180 - 02/21/09 11:16 AM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: jakewash]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
2 7/8" - Is that from what point to what point? I'm sorta sitting on the buy button for two more QS8's and four of these buggers. I've been using M3's for my SB's, and want to try some Qs back there. But, I can only mount them from the ceiling to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'd also like to move the side surrounds a couple feet forward from their current position, and I can only do that if I mount them from the ceiling.

If you could measure them again Jay, I'd appreciate it.

#248189 - 02/21/09 01:20 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: jakewash]
davekro Offline
aficionado

Loc: Discovery Bay, CA
OK, I'm getting closer... I can almost taste it, er, hear it. Speaker models are decided (60's,150, 4-QS8). I just need to decide on color and hear some Axioms. I ordered the color samples last night. Brent said it was OK to order (FO's) and if on the off chance I heard them before the FO' shipped, and was unpleased, it was no problem to cancel the order. So I just need to wait for the samples, pick a color, place an order, then find an audition.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience here!
Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."

#248199 - 02/21/09 01:55 PM Re: Ideas on 31'L x 23'W room for fronts, 7.1 back [Re: davekro]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
[obiwan]You don't need an audition[/obiwan]

#248220 - 02/21/09 04:14 PM Bass driver distance from back of QS* cabinet? [Re: RickF]
davekro Offline
aficionado

Loc: Discovery Bay, CA
 Originally Posted By: RickF
 Originally Posted By: myrison

Jason

Same here, plus I believe they look like they 'belong' whenever flush mounted on the wall.

Rick,
I agree that flat mount looks best.

For my backs I will experiment with back wall and mid room (ceiling mount). For back wall, the left rear in the kitchen would mount on a vertical surface that is 4" back of the cabinet front edge. If I use a wall mount FMB, I'm guessing that pushes me forward about 2". Do I need to add an additional 2" spacer so the back of the QS8 is completely forward of cabinet and in line with cab. front (so downward firing driver is not obstructed)?

The further back this speaker sits, the less it will visually protrude and hence look better. I think it would not look too bad using just the FMB. I am not opposed to the spacing out further. I just want it back as far as I can have it without obstructing the 5 1/4" woofer.

And are there and specs on what the drivers and tweeters are made out of?
Thanks, Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.