AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13323 Members
11 Forums
22898 Topics
404616 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10901
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#289940 - 02/02/10 12:18 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: 2x6spds]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
I don't know. Its usually a diminishing returns thing. Look at the jump in price between Paradigm's Studio and Signature line. Granted, Axiom may be able to narrow that gap but still...

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#289944 - 02/02/10 12:48 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: fredk]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
I don't know that it makes sense from a sonic perspective, either. What I'm seeing is that what is desired is bragging rights.

#289947 - 02/02/10 12:57 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: Ken.C]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Ken. I'm sure that there are speakers out there that sound significantly better than what Axiom currently offers. I'm also willing to bet that the cost and effort to get there is significant.

-------

#289950 - 02/02/10 01:11 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: 2x6spds]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Also, as to a premium line, if the upgraded components resulted in an improvement in sound quality would give folks an opportunity to upgrade at a modest cost. Some folks may want to upgrade the veneer finish. I'd be one of them also. However, what if you could upgrade sound quality for more or less the price of an upgraded finish? I'd go with the upgraded audio.

Why do you think they haven't tried more expensive crossover components and found the difference to be audibly negligible? Ian and his team don't just sit idly in their factory, waiting for orders to come in. They're always working on improving their current models.

I think it's selling their skills as speaker designers a little bit short to constantly assume that "if only they put in some high quality components, they'd be playing with the big boys." I can assure you that if it were that simple to take their speakers to the next level, they'd have already have it.

#289955 - 02/02/10 01:27 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: pmbuko]
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
Yes, of course, PMB - to suggest that Axiom could make a better speaker is an insult ot Ian and the Axiom crew, is that what you're saying?

The suggestion that Axiom target the great speakers in each category and try to beat their performance at a good price suggests to you that I think Ian twiddles his thumbs?

Seems to me PMB you are just attempting to shut down the discussion.

#289956 - 02/02/10 01:32 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: pmbuko]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Ian and his team don't just sit idly in their factory, waiting for orders to come in.

The testing facility is fun and games. The environmental control chamber is set at the perfect temperature to chill cases and cases of beer. ;\)

If you look in the anechoic chamber there is two chairs, a small table and a chess board. \:o

-Max Payne

#289959 - 02/02/10 02:03 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: BlueJays1]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
I don't understand why you think that Axiom's not "targeting the great speakers in each category." Simply because of the cost factor? The less interesting cabinetry? Or because you think they should be using fancy crossover components?

Also: disagreeing with you is continuing the discussion, not shutting it down.

Edited by kcarlile (02/02/10 02:05 AM)

#289961 - 02/02/10 02:26 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: Ken.C]
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
There's obviously more to achieve, or they wouldn't have hired Andrew, and they wouldn't have had a customer survey. They've done a lot of testing to get where they are, and there will be a lot more testing to get any further. I think they're going at a fine pace, but of course as someone who likes spending money on the hobby, I wouldn't mind if they went faster. \:\)

#289976 - 02/02/10 06:46 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: CV]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Originally Posted By: CV
There's obviously more to achieve, or they wouldn't have hired Andrew,...

The beer thread has been a little stale lately.

-------

#290000 - 02/02/10 10:10 AM Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers [Re: 2x6spds]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Seems to me PMB you are just attempting to shut down the discussion.

I suppose I should have been more specific. This is not the first time you've suggested that crossover component upgrades can be a magical fix. There is absolutely no real evidence that switching out crossover components with more expensive ones of the same value make a difference to the human ear -- you know, those things on your head you like to trust?

Now, if your suggestion is that they try different crossover points, that's a valid request. But again, they've already done this or are already doing this across their line.

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.