AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13328 Members
11 Forums
22918 Topics
405141 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13340
CV 11236
MarkSJohnson 10939
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296006 - 03/11/10 11:01 AM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: alan]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Diffuse sound is also why newer/higher end(?) avr's have 2 side surround channels to help spread out the sound when used with direct radiators in slightly larger than average rooms where you can actually get 2 or more sets of side surround speakers installed. With the QS series you can get by with just the one set of side surrounds till the room gets quite large and you have multiple seating arrangments, but even then one pair of QS's seem to work quite well on their own unlike direct radiating speakers.

My HT

#296011 - 03/11/10 11:49 AM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: jakewash]
Zask Offline
hobbyist

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Anyone here using the Emoitiva UPA-2 or any Emo amp? Whats your experience?

#296014 - 03/11/10 11:54 AM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: Zask]
jakewash Offline

Hit and miss with Emotiva and M80s any other speaker appears to play well with Emotiva products, I have never heard Axiom's and Emotiva so beyond my 2 cents as earlier stated I will defer to others to answer

My HT

#296016 - 03/11/10 11:56 AM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: jakewash]
htnut
Unregistered

Did you actually mean 2 distinct sets of side surround channels, in addition to the rear/back surrounds? Just curious if you or anyone else knows which receiver(s) has it?

I would imagine that in a BIG enough room, two sets of QS8's for side surrounds could sound amazing, as long as they are far enough apart from each other.

#296048 - 03/11/10 02:05 PM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: ]
Micah Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Indiana you hoser!!!!
I see I say. So in a big enough room 8 M50's would do a smashing job as surrounds eh? \:D

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD

#296063 - 03/11/10 02:31 PM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: ]
jakewash Offline

Originally Posted By: Micah
I see I say. So in a big enough room 8 M50's would do a smashing job as surrounds eh? \:D
Yes they would.

Originally Posted By: htnut
Did you actually mean 2 distinct sets of side surround channels, in addition to the rear/back surrounds? Just curious if you or anyone else knows which receiver(s) has it?

I would imagine that in a BIG enough room, two sets of QS8's for side surrounds could sound amazing, as long as they are far enough apart from each other.
My 3808 has 2 sets of surrounds run off the main side signals, they are not distinct as they run off the same amp, but the second/third zones can be configured for side or rear channels as well as seperate zones, IIRC.

My HT

#296071 - 03/11/10 03:27 PM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: Zask]
PeterChenoweth Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Jacksonville, IL
 Originally Posted By: Zask
Anyone here using the Emoitiva UPA-2 or any Emo amp?

Yes. Several of us.

Originally Posted By: Zask

Whats your experience?

My experience with my LPA-1 (precursor to the UPA series) and M80's (and VP150 and QS8's) has been great. No problems at all. Three years later, and I'm still very happy with the purchase.

However, my attitude is not shared by every Axiom owner. Some here have had well-publicized problems with Emotiva's amps. Many months ago there was a bit of a spat between Emotiva and Axiom owners, with each side blaming the other for the problems*.

Strangely, it seems that the problems mainly involve{d} Emotiva's higher-end amps. Somewhat counter-intuitive, I agree. We have several here that had problems with the old and discontinued MPS series. I've read of a few people having problems with M80's and the current X-series amps. However, I haven't ever heard of M80 complaints with the LPA/UPA series. YMMV, of course.

*Emotiva-ists claimed that the M80's crossover design was faulty and caused super-low impedance dips. Axiom-ites claimed that the problem was Emotiva exaggerating their specs as far as being able to handle 4-ohm speakers. It was a bit of a mess, between here, Emotiva's forums, and the wonderful word of AVS.

M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office

#296082 - 03/11/10 04:27 PM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: PeterChenoweth]
jakewash Offline

AVS is always a mess ;\)

My HT

#296535 - 03/14/10 02:11 PM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: jakewash]
Zask Offline
hobbyist

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Can someone point me to the VP150 thread please? Search does not seem to work for me, for anything

#296542 - 03/14/10 02:56 PM Re: Floorstanding vs Suuround and adding Amp [Re: Zask]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
Hi Zask. Try the Custom Axiom Forum Search or feel free to ask away, the guys will help you out.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.