AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Greg's pseudo-HT room
EP175v4 with M3v4
Who's Online
3 registered (SirQuack, exlabdriver, oakvillematt), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13336 Members
11 Forums
22948 Topics
405872 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17809
pmbuko 16298
SirQuack 13344
CV 11273
MarkSJohnson 10968
Meanwhile On Facebook

The end of a truly unique voice. RIP Joe Cocker - you were part of the soundtr...

Here's hoping you get what you really want this year! What could be better than...

Shopping made easy! Need it by the 24th? Upgrade to air shipping for just $20!...

Just two more days! Better tell your gift-givers! http://axiomaudio.com/holida...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#332494 - 12/24/10 06:32 PM QS8 Placement Question
zzzaxxx Offline
regular

Hi,
So, I purchased a pair of the M2s and have been the proud owner of them for about four hours now.
grin
I am relegating my previous fronts to surround duty until I pick up some QS8s.
My question is how far away from the back wall are people mounting the QS8s. I want to mount my current surrounds pretty close to where I would put the QS8s, so that the Qs cover the mounting holes.

Adding to this...I hope this makes sense...
I am using a 'cordmate II cable management system' - to uh, hide?? the wires. I live in an apartment so going through the walls is not a possibility, and I have to get the right surround wire past/over a door.
With the cable management system, it appears that once it is on the wall, it is pretty much there...
so, this too affects my decision of where to mount surrounds.
The PDF of the QS8 manual states that the surrounds are very forgiving for placement, but I am sure that Axiom owners have tried various placements and have found some to be better than others.
So, anyone's opinions are very much welcomed.

thanks,
Dave

#332496 - 12/24/10 07:33 PM Re: QS8 Placement Question [Re: zzzaxxx]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Here's an article by Axiom under their Articles tab.

An Essential Guide to Home Theater Layout

#332497 - 12/24/10 07:40 PM Re: QS8 Placement Question [Re: CatBrat]
zzzaxxx Offline
regular

excellent. yes, I had read that...
however, I am curious about where precisely people have put there surrounds for best performance.
While I loved my Paradigms, my 'upgrade' to the M2s have made an incredible improvement.
I expect your (CatBrat) system of dual M22s sounds expansive.

In your signature, it has a link to the front portion of your setup, but I don't see the surrounds...
I will check the gallery forum for more ideas.

Thanks,

-perhaps, I should have just titled a new thread of...please post pics of your surrounds...
-I know that they are not as 'cool looking' as some M80s across the front with a giant screen, but hopefully some people have taken some pics. From the gallery section, I am seeing lots of mounts on the rear wall, as opposed to the side walls.

Edited by zzzaxxx (12/24/10 07:48 PM)

#332499 - 12/24/10 07:50 PM Re: QS8 Placement Question [Re: zzzaxxx]
grunt Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Nirvana
Unfortunately “optimal” speaker placement is very room/listener dependent. As long as you follow the general guidelines linked above the QS8s will do a fine job. The only real way to find the best placement in your room is to experiment with various placements. As a general rule I prefer surround speakers to be placed slightly behind the seating on the side wall. Placing them slightly back helps create a phantom rear image when you don't have rear speakers.

You will likely get better suggestions if you can post a picture/drawing of your room or at least give the dimensions and

#332506 - 12/24/10 11:35 PM Re: QS8 Placement Question [Re: grunt]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
As to my surrounds, I don't have any. I'm strictly running a 3.1 system at this time. I'm building towards a dedicated HT that will have surrounds. For the past week, I've been working on a door that will keep the cat out of my work and I should have it installed by Sunday morning. Unbelievable amount of work just for 1 door and frame. Sanding, staining, painting, waiting to dry.

#332508 - 12/25/10 12:16 AM Re: QS8 Placement Question [Re: zzzaxxx]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Dave, the side surrounds in a 5.1 setup should be mounted about 2-3' above ear level and a little farther back(maybe 2')than directly to the side of the listening position, so that, as Dean comments, it gives a little "phantom" back effect in the absence of actual back surround(7.1)speakers.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.