Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
6 registered (J. B., Strider53, Andrew, BobKay, MarkSJohnson, Spoiler), 111 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12650 Members
11 Forums
22678 Topics
400313 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17695
pmbuko 16220
SirQuack 13309
CV 11053
MarkSJohnson 10664
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

<3 Love this quote from Jungle on our message boards! Just received my M3v4 and...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#351346 - 07/03/11 08:38 AM Re: Upstairs bonus room: Slanted ceilings [Re: JohnK]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
Originally Posted By: JohnK
But to put some numbers to Alan's comment, a typically sized and furnished home room has an R60 reverberation time of around a half-second. R60 is the usual standard applied and represents the time in seconds(thousands for Mark's room)for the sound level to diminish 60dB after it's stopped playing. 60dB is used because it's about the difference between the loudest orchestral peaks around 100dB and room background noise levels around 40db. 60dB is therefore also about the widest practical dynamic range for a recording intended to be listened to at home.

In contrast to the half-second or so R60 at home, the finest concert halls have R60 times on the order of two seconds. Hence the difference that Alan notes.

I read that, and then had a seizure.

#351348 - 07/03/11 10:03 AM Re: Upstairs bonus room: Slanted ceilings [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
MarkSJohnson Online   happy
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
Well, duuuuh.

We ALL have seizures after reading JohnK's posts! smile

#351350 - 07/03/11 10:20 AM Re: Upstairs bonus room: Slanted ceilings [Re: MarkSJohnson]
St_PatGuy Offline
axiomite

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
It's because of his flashy avatar.

#351353 - 07/03/11 02:45 PM Re: Upstairs bonus room: Slanted ceilings [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
BobKay Online   content
connoisseur

Loc: Massachusetts Badlands
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Originally Posted By: JohnK
But to put some numbers to Alan's comment, a typically sized and furnished home room has an R60 reverberation time of around a half-second. R60 is the usual standard applied and represents the time in seconds(thousands for Mark's room)for the sound level to diminish 60dB after it's stopped playing. 60dB is used because it's about the difference between the loudest orchestral peaks around 100dB and room background noise levels around 40db. 60dB is therefore also about the widest practical dynamic range for a recording intended to be listened to at home.

In contrast to the half-second or so R60 at home, the finest concert halls have R60 times on the order of two seconds. Hence the difference that Alan notes.

I read that, and then had a seizure.

Are you implying a correlation? If so, you may just have forgotten your mid-day diazepam, 'cause you were too sh'faced to remember.

#351358 - 07/03/11 04:37 PM Re: Upstairs bonus room: Slanted ceilings [Re: BobKay]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
laugh laugh

Off to my drug supply I go... You should be a pharmacist, Bob.

#351382 - 07/04/11 09:25 AM Re: Upstairs bonus room: Slanted ceilings [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
BobKay Online   content
connoisseur

Loc: Massachusetts Badlands
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
laugh laugh

Off to my drug supply I go... You should be a pharmacist, Bob.

I am an apothecarian.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.