AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (CV), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22877 Topics
404369 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17775
pmbuko 16274
SirQuack 13333
CV 11202
MarkSJohnson 10886
Meanwhile On Facebook

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Page 47 of 56 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 55 56 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377099 - 05/25/12 05:58 PM Re: In the News [Re: 2x6spds]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Fox "News" viewers less (or possibly more incorrectly) informed than those whom watch absolutely NO news.

Surprise, surprise.

Thankfully I don't personally know one person that watches that cartoon network.

Linky.

Cam pulls out a grammatical monstrosity and crows what a smart little boy he is.

Link.

#377103 - 05/25/12 07:47 PM Re: In the News [Re: Ajax]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Jack. I remember reading that story about the girl before. Quite amazing!

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#377106 - 05/25/12 08:06 PM Re: In the News [Re: fredk]
Ajax Offline
axiomite

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Indeed!!!!!

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

#377127 - 05/26/12 01:17 AM Re: In the News [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Fox "News" viewers less (or possibly more incorrectly) informed than those whom watch absolutely NO news.

Cam pulls out a grammatical monstrosity and crows what a smart little boy he is.

Cam, your grammatical monstrosity is a common error and easily fixed. Rather than belittle, I will educate.

As I'm sure you guessed, 2x6 was referring to your use of whom. "Whom" is used when it's the direct object of a verb, and when it directly follows a preposition. Here are some examples of who vs. whom usage:

"I have more money than those who have less money than I do." <-- correct because who is linked to a noun (those) and not to a verb.
"I once put a tack on the chair of my high school English teacher who I hated for his inability to pronounce 'while'. He was from Georgia." <-- incorrect because who is the direct object of hated.

"I give cookies to the old lady on the corner, whom I adore because of her rosy cheeks." <-- correct because whom is linked to a verb (adore).
"Wait, wait, wait.... You gave my favorite socks to whom?!?!" <-- correct because whom is the object of a preposition (of).
"I have a son whom eat peas." <--incorrect because whom is linked to a noun (son) and not to a verb.

#377131 - 05/26/12 07:51 AM Re: In the News [Re: CV]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Thanks, Peter. You're a good soul.

#377132 - 05/26/12 08:18 AM Re: In the News [Re: CV]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Loc: Central NH
A good soul wrapped in a GrammerBot skin...... whom I respect! grin

#377146 - 05/26/12 02:03 PM Re: In the News [Re: CV]
Gary Vose Sr Offline
devotee

Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks for the English 101 Peter, very nice examples, considering we are only talking about adding, or not adding, a lower case m onto a root word. Now how about some examples for these two words, to,and too.

#377148 - 05/26/12 04:01 PM Re: In the News [Re: CV]
jakewash Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
You could make that 3 words, two, to and too, as I have seen two used too many times in place of to; I blame texting on this.

My HT

#377150 - 05/26/12 04:33 PM Re: In the News [Re: CV]
CV Online   confused
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
Led vs. lead seems to be a common one on this forum. I'm sure I make enough grammatical errors, though. I should brush up sometime. Thanks, Peter, for highlighting one I've had a history of problems with.

#377153 - 05/26/12 06:22 PM Re: In the News [Re: CV]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Another VERY common linguistic err is the use of lay.

You don't lay in bed or on the chesterfield etc. You lie in bed etcetera.

Lie is an intransitive verb (one that does not take an object), meaning "to recline." Its principal parts are lie (base form), lay (past tense), lain (past participal), and lying (present participle).

[Lie meaning "to tell an untruth" uses lied for both the past tense and past participle, with lying as the present participle.]

Lay is a transitive verb (one that takes an object), meaning "to put" or "to place." Its principal parts are lay (base form), laid (past tense), laid (past participle), and laying (present participle).

The two words have different meanings and are not interchangeable. Although lay also serves as the past tense of lie (to recline) – as in, "He lay down for a nap an hour ago" – lay (or laying) may not otherwise be used to denote reclining. It is not correct to say or write, "I will lay down for nap" or "He is laying down for a nap." The misuse of lay or laying in the sense of "to recline" (which requires lie or lying) is the most common error involving the confusion of these two words.

> Once you lay (put or place) a book on the desk, it is lying (reclining, resting) there, not laying there.

> When you go to Bermuda for your vacation, you spend your time lying (not laying) on the beach (unless, of course, you are engaged in sexual activity and are, in the vernacular, laying someone on the beach).

> You lie down on the sofa to watch TV and spend the entire evening lying there; you do not lay down on the sofa to watch TV and spend the entire evening laying there.

> If you see something lying on the ground, it is just resting there; if you see something laying on the ground, it must be doing something else, such as laying eggs.

Page 47 of 56 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 55 56 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.