Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wow
Haoleb #7371 07/25/06 01:11 AM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow... the memories of my first encounter. lol. I just found this post while browsing through the archives..

Fast forward 4 years later and I have a Epic 80 7.1 system with the 600 ON ORDER for my parents' new dedicated theater room. Which leaves me with the opportunity to dump off my M80's. I currently have a pair of cherry m80's and so They are going in the theater room and on order with the rest of the boston cherry system is a pair of HG cherry M80's that was going to be my set, but I recently started working at a custom a/v theater etc place and I get stuff at cost so It looks like perhaps, I am ending my personal journey with Axiom speakers right in the same post where it started.... That is IF, its not too late to cancel my HG m80's, and if i can get Paradigm Studio 100's at a reasonable cost (as in close to the price of the 80's)

Sorry if this is rather "outer limits" of a post but im sure some of you will understand

Haoleb #7372 07/25/06 05:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good luck with your choices, if you do indeed go with the Paradigm Studio 100's I would love to hear your thoughts on how they compare to the M80's.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Haoleb #7373 07/25/06 03:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Haoleb,

Interesting going over the earlier threads. If you are ever in a position with your new job to do an A/B comparison (preferably blind) with an instantaneous switcher between the new M80s (the ones for your parents) and the Paradigm 100s, I expect you'll hear slight differences in tonal balance--the M80s will have somewhat more midrange and upper octave detail than the Paradigms, and the Paradigms will have a somewhat boosted 3-dB lift of bass in the 80-Hz to 150 Hz region. Other than that, I suspect you'll find them comparably good, and you may have preferences one way or the other, depending on what music you're listening to.

The reason I suggest you use the new M80s is that there were tiny changes in the M80s' crossover made three or more years ago--extremely subtle but audible--that improved the midrange linearity and neutrality, which is one of the reasons we decided to give the "v2" designation to the M80s as well as the other Axioms that had slight changes introduced.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #7374 07/25/06 07:26 PM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks Alan, I knew that the sound of the 100's is supposed to be similar, but the main reason I really would like to "upgrade" to the paradigm's if i can get them cheap is because of their cabinet's, my only gripe about the 80's is the cabinet's tendency to have some vibrations which, im no expert on sound but when i stand next to them it seems like i can hear quite a bit of coloration coming off the cabinets. Hence wanting to get the 100's with their higher weight, and more bracing.

Plus, the logo on the tweeters that says Axiom Hometheaters is totally wrong in a 2 channel system.

But either way, I'll either end up an axiomite once again with a shiney set of HG cherry's or the use of my parent's 7.1 kickass system

Haoleb #7375 07/31/06 09:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Haoleb,

All speakers will have some residual output that you might detect if you are standing next to them or put your ear next to the enclosure, but that "coloration" is not detectable at your listening area with program material--music or movie soundtracks.

As to bracing, the notion that "more bracing is better" has not been demonstrated in a number of tests that Axiom did last year on the audibility of distortion.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/distortion.html

As you increase the amount of bracing in a speaker cabinet, you raise the resonant frequency, which may make the resonances more detectable, not less. Axiom's wedge-shaped anti-standing wave enclosure design suppresses the formation of resonances before they can become a problem.

The old "knock test" of a speaker enclosure says nothing about the potential detectability of any resonances. It's about as useful as kicking the tires on a car.

Here's a relevant excerpt from that article:

"For the designer, this presents an interesting paradox to beware of: Audible distortion may increase if distortion is lowered at the price of raising its occurrence frequency."

A good speaker design aims for no audible distortion and this means getting the proper amount of bracing not the most amount of bracing.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082