Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ian Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 05:25 PM
We have some exciting news at Axiom that I thought I would share with everyone. We have a new audio engineer joining our R&D team, Andrew Welker. Andrew was previously with API (better known for their Energy and Mirage brands) for 13 years. Andrew graduated from the University of Waterloo with a degree in Electrical Engineering in 1995. A few years ago API was sold to Klipsch and they subsequently shut down the R&D facility in Toronto. Doug Schneider brought this to my attention and I felt it was just too good an opportunity to pass up getting that kind of experience added to the Axiom R&D team. Andrew worked directly with Ian Paisley during his time at API (I knew Ian quite well from our days at NRC and I have always felt that Ian was one of the best audio engineers on the planet; he retired soon after the sale of API). Andrew brings with him an outstanding depth of knowledge and brilliance in audio design. We are all very excited to welcome him aboard and I am sure he is looking forward to meeting our members here on the Axiom Message Boards.
Posted By: Argon Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 05:26 PM
Welcome, Andrew.
Posted By: CV Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 05:49 PM
Very cool news. I like forward to hearing what he contributes to the team.
Awesome! A round of beers on Andrew! \:\)

Sssshhh... we can tell him that ALL new employees have to do this! \:\)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 06:08 PM
Exciting news!! (Andrew, not the beer)
Welcome to Axiom Andrew,

I'm sure you are going to love it, first class people all the way. Can you indicate what your first assignment is? Other than getting the first round of beer.

Another plus is you don't have to drive into Toronto everyday, a task that is getting more and more frustrating.

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 06:15 PM
Welcome!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 06:17 PM
Welcome, Andrew! Very exciting. Hope to hear from you soon.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 06:34 PM
Is that Waterloo, Iowa? Just kidding, welcome Andrew. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 06:58 PM
Another welcome Andrew! great news.
Posted By: Wid Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 07:01 PM

Welcome aboard Andy \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 07:13 PM
Hey, welcome, and just let me know if you need the hook-up.
Posted By: fredk Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 07:22 PM
Very cool! Hmm... brilliant new engineer? Perhaps we have some exciting new projects coming down the chute??
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 07:22 PM
ya think
Axiom is planning on releasing an amazing touch-screen remote control that runs on an included iPad, sets itself up automatically, and costs $150.

I sure wouldn't want to be a person who spent a lot of time and coin on a remote recently!
Posted By: merchman Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 07:29 PM
Another welcome, Andrew!
Posted By: CV Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 07:36 PM
A Leader in Speaker Formats: Mirage's Andrew Welker Discusses Bipolar, Omnipolar, and OmniGuide Technologies (SoundStage!)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 08:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Axiom is planning on releasing an amazing touch-screen remote control that runs on an included iPad, sets itself up automatically, and costs $150.

I sure wouldn't want to be a person who spent a lot of time and coin on a remote recently!

They should use my "remote server"! It works with my iPod Touch (using the 10$ iPeng app) and hence would work with iPad. ;\)

Seriously, anything that can talk to SqueezeCenter can operate my equipment by adding special "silent tracks" to the playlist organized under "Z-Activities" and "Z-Devices". For example, adding Z-Activities/DVD-Audio.mp3 to the playlist starts the DVD-Audio activity! (and then the track is automatically removed by the server).
They called me crazy. They said it was against nature. But I will show them. I will show the fools. THEY CAN'T SILENCE ME!!! Gnaaaaahhhaaahhahaahahh!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 08:04 PM
This is awesome news, Ian! I can't wait to hear about his contributions to your future product designs.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 09:47 PM
sweet!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/01/10 10:53 PM
sugary!
Posted By: Andrew Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 01:31 AM
Thank you Ian for the great introduction.
And thank you all for your welcome messages!
I'm very excited to be part of the design team at Axiom. I've always had the greatest respect for Axiom and it's a wonderful opportunity for me to be able to contribute to such admired products! I look forward to getting to know you all and I'll be playing an active role in the discussions. Not least of which will be the on-going beer thread!

Cheers!

Andrew
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 02:10 AM
Welcome, Andrew!

So, get yourself over to the beer thread already! You don't have to start at page 1

I have Omnisats on my desk at work and I like them very much.

Looking forward to learning from you.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 02:29 AM
Bear? is that a new barely pop Tom. \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 02:32 AM
Andrew, welcome. Your background will help ensure a continuation of the excellence in sound which Axiom speakers represent.
Posted By: RickF Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 03:41 AM
What John said ... I'll drink to that.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 04:10 AM
This just goes to show that JohnK is truly the well spoken (but witty) member of the bunch. The rest of us are just forum idiots that post random things until he comes along and helps out. ;\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 04:43 AM
I like turtles.
Posted By: CV Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 05:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
This just goes to show that JohnK is truly the well spoken (but witty) member of the bunch.

You mean because it causes Rick to drink?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 01:03 PM

Nah, in all seriousness we can all be helpful, but John's Helpful:BS factor is much higher than most ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 09:45 PM
Wow, step away to move and look what happens, welcome aboard Andrew.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/02/10 11:00 PM
Welcome Andrew!
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/03/10 01:23 AM
There's a beer thread? I'll put my mug down and check it out.
Andrew, welcome aboard.
Posted By: onn Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/03/10 01:00 PM
Welcome Andrew!
Posted By: Ascension Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/03/10 03:21 PM
This is great news! Welcome aboard Andrew!
Posted By: DaveG Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/03/10 07:15 PM
Welcome Andrew!
Posted By: Murph Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/04/10 06:01 PM
Thank you, Thank you.

Oh Wait. You mean the new guy.

Well FINE!!!!
Posted By: BigHonu Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/04/10 09:26 PM
Welcome Andrew!
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/06/10 05:59 AM
Thanks for responding to my email Andrew, very informative!
Posted By: CV Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/06/10 06:36 AM
I think you hit the wrong reply button.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/06/10 06:55 AM
Au contraire!
Posted By: CV Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/06/10 06:59 AM
\:\) Okay, but now you have to share the details of your exchange.
Posted By: SatKartr Re: Exciting New Addition to Our R&D Team - 02/06/10 07:22 AM
But of course! Andrew responded today via email to my post on the thread re: ep800 woes and explained whazzupp! the status of amplifier development! I thought I should acknowledge that his initiative in reaching out and knowledgeability went above and beyond, bodes well as a continued reflection/example of Axiom responsiveness/customer support :-)
Welcome Andrew!!! As a former Mirage owner(890i's,MC-3, and soon to be replaced 190i's) I owned those speakers for over 13 years and until hearing Axiom's last May I had yet to heard a better speaker than the Mirage's. Again welcome aboard!
© Axiom Message Boards