Axiom Home Page
Posted By: danmagicman7 Do Not Call Reminder - 06/15/06 11:30 PM
8 days from now all cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketers.

Just sending out a reminder for everyone to register their phones!

donotcall.gov
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/15/06 11:52 PM
What, you don't want your air ducts cleaned or your windows replaced?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/16/06 12:01 AM
Urban Legend..... read here
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/16/06 02:24 AM
Yep, doubt it will every happen.
Posted By: Tarun Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/16/06 07:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/16/06 09:08 PM
As Mark said (and linked), this is not true. No need to worry.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/16/06 09:32 PM
Then what is the purpose of it.

Doesn't hurt doing it, meh.

At least I'm now sure I won't get freeky people calling me.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/16/06 10:04 PM
Purpose...lan phones.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/17/06 04:47 PM
It's for your land-line phone. I've had my home number on the list for a few years and don't get telemarketing calls.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/17/06 04:55 PM
Quote:

It's for your land-line phone. I've had my home number on the list for a few years and don't get telemarketing calls.

Me too. Peter, don't we have to renew our number every 5 years or so, or we get dropped off the list? I think I remember that is the case. Now if I could just remember when I signed up for the list.
Posted By: RickF Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/17/06 05:27 PM
We've been on the do not call list since the inception but boy do we *still* get the donate to the 'non-profits' and survey calls though. But it's still a whole bunch better than getting the annoying telemarketers.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/17/06 05:29 PM
No need to worry, Jack. When they start calling again, you'll know it's time to renew.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/17/06 07:43 PM
"Is *Male Parent* there?"
"No."
"Is *Female Parent* there?"
"No."
"Is this the *lame attempt at pronouncing my last name* househould?"
"No."
"Okay...um...bye"

Next time I might try to strike up a conversation with one of them. Ask how Indian Cricket is doing.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/17/06 08:05 PM
Quote:

No need to worry, Jack. When they start calling again, you'll know it's time to renew.

LOL! Boy is that the truth.

The calls I am most glad to be rid of are those from vinyl siding salesmen, roofing salesmen, etc., who call and say "We are doing some of the houses on your street and thought you'd like to save some money since our crew will already be right there." EVERY address on my street is an apartment. I can't abide lying like that.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/18/06 12:22 PM
I always know it's a telemarketer when the conversation starts off with them asking me how I am today. Anyone who knows me wouldn't give a crap as to how I am!

Since adding my four numbers to the Do Not Call List, the telemarketing has gone way down, but non-profits, political and charity organizations can still call. For the six months to a year before the NH primary, I'll get 4-5 calls a day from political organizations/pollsters.

With the in-home business, I get 6-10 calls a week for charity contributions. I understand that they're all good causes, but I feel bad having to turn 95% of them away. We just get too many calls and can't give to everyone. I ususally pick one or two major organizations a year and offer photography or video production services for one of their events or promotions and then make contributions to some smaller, local groups.

I have no tolerance for sales calls on my business lines, though. I'm usually working 12-18 hour days and get really, really, (did I mention "really"?) annoyed when someone is interupting my working on a tight deadline to tell me how great their prices are on disc media or how leasing that 100,000 page-a-month copier will actually save my business more than the $800/month it will cost me. I get really rude to those people that interrupt my work when I'm "in a Groove"!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/18/06 12:47 PM
Quote:

I get really rude to those people that interrupt my work when I'm "in a Groove"!

LOL! I have a friend who when confronted with an irritating sales call from a female, would give the poor woman an "R" rated (as opposed to "X" rated) phone call, usually beginning with "are you wearing any underwear?" His logic was "hey! I didn't call her, she called me. How can I be accused of making an obscene phone call?"
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/18/06 01:59 PM
I don't know that I'd go quite THAT far!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/18/06 02:45 PM
I wouldn't either.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/19/06 03:53 AM
That falls under harrassment in the workplace.

Bren R.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Do Not Call Reminder - 06/19/06 01:02 PM
My cousin places the phone on the table and walks away. He puts it on speakerphone so that he can hear the telemarketer. Apparently, they get in big trouble if they ever hang up on you. They have to go through this script, basically, that the caller is unresponsive and that they have tried all reasonable means to continue the call before they hang up. And some of their equipment does not enable them to hang up at all, so he's had a couple of people pleading with him to please hang up from his end so that they can continue their work. I had no idea that this was the case!
© Axiom Message Boards