Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/20/06 07:08 PM
This may be my next car, you know, mid life crisis. I mis my previous Camaros.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/31/new-chevy-camaro-to-star-transformers-movie/

Posted By: SirClyde Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/20/06 08:10 PM
Hey Randy I was never a big fan of the Camaro but that one sure looks sweet. Is it just a concept car or is it in the works for production?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/20/06 08:37 PM
I'd drive it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/20/06 09:09 PM
Well, it looks just like the concept car that chevrolet recently introduced at the 2006 auto show, just a different color and the added stripes. I've read a few articles on Automotive websites, that pretty much confirm it will happen, most likely in 2008/9. From what I've read, the actual production Camaro may not be as radical. Personally, I hope they make the front end look more like the late 60's Camaros.
I had a '69 Z28 and am probably showing my age but I still prefer the looks of the older car. Too bad I could never afford to rebuy my "Zed" again
Posted By: littleb Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 12:18 AM
I think it looks too much like a Mustang. Methinks GM made a boo boo when they abandoned that market, and they feel they have to target the 'tangs. It may be another mistep on their part. I think it will probably disappear like the GTO.
I think consumers kind of forced GM out of the market. I remember reading that the Mustang was outselling both the Camaro and the Firebird combined.

It's good to see them taking another shot, though. I much prefer the older stylings and I think the new retro look is a good beginning.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 01:42 AM
I agree Sean. I also like the new Dodge Challenger that will be coming out, to cool. I don't see any resemblance to the Mustang. I've owned 3 Camaros, 71, 81, 91,...it is destiny.
Quote:

I've owned 3 Camaros, 71, 81, 91,...it is destiny.

You're gonna have to buy two, now, to make up for lost time!
Posted By: Wid Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 01:58 AM
I agree with Bruce, I see a strong resemblance to the Mustang. That was the first thing I thought of when I looked at the pic. I had a 69 Firebird years ago, boy was that thing a blast to drive
That back panel just in front of the rear wheel looks very much like it was taken from a Mustang. The lines there don't flow with the rest of the car, which to my eyes looks very bulbous, put it on a diet please!

GM should have just used the original body molds.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 02:04 PM
Keep in mind everyone, this is just the concept car. Normally, once a car goes to production it will look different and be more cost effective for potential buyers.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 02:11 PM
Quote:

I think it looks too much like a Mustang. Methinks GM made a boo boo when they abandoned that market, and they feel they have to target the 'tangs. It may be another mistep on their part. I think it will probably disappear like the GTO.

Yeah, but the GTO looked like a sissy car. Good power and performance, boring styling.

I like the looks of this Camaro, but the styling cues are very similar to other vehicles out there. Sirquack nails it on the head though, this is a concept car. Production and Concept are two completely different worlds. Most of the time I'll love a concept car's looks, then when it comes out in production, it is tamed down, and more boring than the concept. I guess more people out there prefer the plainer styles, just not me.
Posted By: BrenR Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 03:36 PM
Sorry, Randy... I'm with the other guys, at first blush I thought "oh great, another "Gone in 60 Seconds Eleanor" ripoff."

Wonder if the pricing structure will be the same as it was in the 60s and 70s and the Camaro will continue to be the poor man's Corvette?

Bren R.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 03:49 PM
Good looking car, but I also can see GM trying to "Me-too" their way in to the retro styling craze ala the Mustang.

As a tall man I have to protest the tiny windows and chopped off roof look. I know that this is fashionable, sleek, etc, but what will it do to headroom?

Maybe if I sit on the floor then I could fit in it. Just like Magnum PI had to do with that Ferrari. Yeah, that's the ticket!
I had also previously seen the concept car when it was introduced. There are some more views at a recent Edmunds review. I like it.

I don't think GM should be scorned for reviving styling cues from cars that many people perceive as classic. On the contrary; revival of risk-taking, creativity and differentiation in the automotive art form is something to be savored by those generations fortunate enough to experience it.

There are many examples of both successful and failed attempts at "retro styling". Is anybody talking about the Thunderbird any more? The PT Cruiser looks interesting, but (IMO) is an absolute POS to drive. The numerous other Dodge examples have already been mentioned. That Chevy truck looks pretty nice to me, but it's way too expensive and doesn't seem like a Real Truck. While Ford never abandoned the Mustang nameplate, even after the latest improved redesign, I'm still kind of on the fence about it aesthetically (that B pillar is too fat or something). Anybody care to comment on the Toyota FJ? The Cooper Mini seems like a success from all angles.

Point being, consumers seem to be enjoying this trend, and who am I to impugn some other consumer's choice, especially when it supports American manufacturing jobs. Fossil fuels - smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 04:45 PM
Oh man Tom, thanks for that link, that is one I hadn't found yet.
Posted By: dllewel Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 05:13 PM
Quote:

There are many examples of both successful and failed attempts at "retro styling".

The new VW bug has sure been a hit.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 05:42 PM
I don't know about you guys, but all these new cars are starting to look too much alike to me, it's getting difficult to tell if it's a BMW or Toyota, I'll stick to loving the old and new Exotics.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 08:07 PM
GM's styling heyday is long past ('50s, '60s). Their cars, by and large, have been uninspired, to say the least, for about 30 years. So you are correct - it makes sense to tap into the glory days to pep things up.

To me, the most stylish original American car of the last ten years has been the Chrysler 300C. While it borrows a bit from Bentley, at least they borrowed the classy parts.

I also like the New Beetle and Mini, each of which, contrary to what you might imagine, is a great fit for a tall person, BTW. Gotta love that Mini's go-cart style handling. Fun, fun, fun.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 08:52 PM
If you can't tell a BMW 6 series from a mile away -- particularly from the rear -- there's something wrong with your eyes.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 09:16 PM
Lol, at my age I'm lucky if I can tell the difference between a BMW and a Chevy from 500 yards away But I still prefer the styles of the older versions that had more distinctive lines.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/21/06 09:46 PM
Most beautiful car I ever saw in person was the BMW Z8 at the DC auto show a few years back. <<droooool>> It was like a piece of art.

And, hey, that 6 series is alright as well. I think I'm owed one since that's what all the psychiatrists drive, or at least you would think so from Huff on Showtime. Damn him and his sweet 645 convertible...
Nice post Tom. I look forward to having a couple beers with you one day……

I’m partial to this concept car……(Ford Shelby GR-1)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Ford-Shelby-GR1-Concept-Aluminum-Body.htm

No matter what comes around the bend in the next few years, the 06 Z06 vette will be hard to beat. The power train and suspension on it are in a league of their own, and with no more than a day’s work and $2500, you can easily get it over 700 hp - without nitrous.
Thanks, Mike. Me too.

I don't have the same knowledge about or budget for exotic cars that many of you do. I've recognized that, while I share the basic American Male affinity for all the things cars can be and can represent, I'm not willing to invest my capital or time in something that is - in my daily life - a transportation appliance. My utter lack of enthusiasm for washing and maintenance dictates that I simply don't deserve a bitchin ride.

I've always appreciated the recent Corvettes. They look beautiful and exotic to me. Moreover, as the flagship GM car, I have no doubt that it is spectacular. As inept as Ford, GM and Dodge have been in providing interesting, highly-valued mainstream transportation, I think it is ludicrous to suggest that - with money as no object - they can't assemble truly remarkable vehicles. The Fort GT is a monster, as is the Vette and I suppose the Viper, too.
Posted By: RickF Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/22/06 12:45 AM
Speaking of monsters Tom, this W16 cylinder, 1,001 hp, 253 mph beast is what I'd call a monster ... for a mere $1.7 million!

If you go to the home website and navigate your way to the 'Model' then 'Engineering' page there's a cool 7 step video showing the inter-workings of the 16 cylinder engine and the car's drive train that's absolutely neat as beans.
Whoah, Rick. I had no idea that thing existed. Amazing.
Betcha you would wash that one once in awhile, Tom!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/22/06 01:53 AM
At that price, it either better wash itself or come with a servant who does it for you!
Posted By: BrenR Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/22/06 05:09 AM
Looks like when we buy our next set of vehicles, we'll go from being a two Pontiav to two Toyota family. She's got her eye on a Corolla, I've got mine on a Land Cruiser.

Bren R.
Quote:

being a two Pontiav

The famous Russian family sedan?
Posted By: BrenR Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/22/06 08:22 AM
Pontaiv - Built for Drivers... as long as those drivers are members of the proletariat and they oil the crank bearings of their engines with the blood of the bourgeoisie!

Bren R.
I hear ya Tom....lot's of money to throw around at transportation. But once it's in your blood, you can't get rid of it. I've been either making things go fast, or buying fast things for better than 25 years and will most likely die while going fast.

The best bargain right now, if you can get a hold of one, is the GT500 Shelby Mustang. You can get the convertible for 45K and the coup for 40K. Considering what Ford's SVT department and Shelby did to it, it really is one hell of a deal. If it weren’t for a serious lack of cash after finishing my basement, I’d probably have one already. Speaking of basements, I gotta get back to work.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/ford/shelbygt500/100751537/photos.html

Cool car Rick……..surprised that Bugatti put that much effort into it and couldn’t shave a few hundred pounds. That thing's outrageously heavy.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 02:23 AM
I was just reading about the GT500 in one of my latest auto mags. I agree that it is pretty sweet. I am not a big fan of most convertibles though. They are fun to have the wind in your hair and all, but I think that a coupe is a little more agressive looking.

If I won the lottery though I think that I would go with some cars that are a little more unique. A Noble M15 and a Ariel Atom would find a home in my garage. Sure, I've always been a Lamborghini fan, even back before most Americans had ever heard of Lamborghini (thanks to Miami Vice and their Ferrari Testarossa), but even they are getting too common. Plus, I could blow the doors off of most Lambo's and Ferrari's with either the Noble or Atom for a lot less cash (Still have to be a LITTLE responsible with the windfall of money. Wouldn't want to waste it on a Porsche or something.)

The only "pony" car I would buy would be for my dad. I would get him a nice restored 1967 Pontiac Firebird convertable (I know, I made a comment about convertables being less aggressive.) like he had before my sister and I were born and he ended up traded it in for a station wagon. He deserves to have it back.
Nick, I hear you. My dad had a 67 Mustang with the 289HiPo 3spd that he still talks about today. I can't express what it would mean to me to be able to give him one "back" for all the things he's done for me.
Posted By: INANE Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 04:31 AM
Camero (any) > Mustang (any)

IMO

Corvette > all
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 04:48 AM
Yeah, but you see Corvettes every day. Nice machines, don't get me wrong, I just like more unique rides. Of course, this is coming form a guy with a boring 1999 Ford "get me to work" car, and a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan...

Maybe when the kids are grown and married. For now, I'll keep the kids though. I'll be "old" before you know it, and then I can worry about getting a cool car.
I couldn’t agree more with you and the desire to have something “different”. That’s why I usually build my own rods. Unfortunately, time has gotten in the way of that passion. I’ve been working on my 61’ stingray for ten years now, but continue to get sidetracked with projects (like building a house or two along the way). The original plan for the 61’ was to build a stainless frame and retro-fit a C-4 suspension under it and build an all aluminum big block in the 800 hp range and couple it to a 6-speed manual. Now I have a donor C-5 suspension and I’m dropping the new LS-7 crate motor in it (Z06 vette engine). The LS-7 is a friggin work of art from an engine building perspective, and one that I can’t duplicate. I want a unique, real retro-classic that can run a low 10 second quarter, handle like a Boxer, and be somewhat comfortable to drive.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 03:33 PM
My other car is a mini van

Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 03:59 PM
Ooooh, but did you rebadge it as a Honda?
Quote:

I want a unique, real retro-classic that can run a low 10 second quarter, handle like a Boxer, and be somewhat comfortable to drive.

How about if it gets good gas mileage too? And inexpensive to acquire and maintain?

I hear you, Mike. I think we all want that at some level. Your Stingray project sounds fantastic! I envy those of you that have the time, skills and resources to indulge this dream.

HomeDad, that is sweet!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 04:33 PM
Is that actual your car, man I am one jealous guy.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/23/06 05:12 PM
Lol, that's mostly my garage car, doesn't get much use now that we have 2 kids. Bought it about a month after my wife and I got married 8 years ago, when I still had a little control over our money.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/24/06 01:58 AM
Quote:

At that price, it either better wash itself or come with a servant who does it for you!

The real question is: what's the MPG on that thing?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/24/06 05:05 AM
You have some letters switched around. I think you mean GPM.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/24/06 12:51 PM
'course, if HomeDad made the payments on that sexy machine, he's probably not too worried about the occasional fill-up denting his wallet.

Homie, I need to borrow that car for some cognitive behavioral therapy for a difficult patient of mine. I figure a couple of weeks as a passenger with me behind the wheel will cure him of all that ails him...
I drove a buddies NSX a few years ago when they first came out (mid nineties?). His had the five speed. The car definitely was beyond my abilities to push it and I consider myself a pretty good driver. I couldn’t even get the tires to squeal, and I tried real hard……That mid engine design is amazing. I also thought the car was incredibly comfortable and everything was ‘natural’ to reach and operate. Not like many of the European sports cars I’ve drove. I’ll echo’s Randy’s comments, I’m jealous. Sweet car. Nice looking house too….
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/24/06 04:33 PM
the mileage refers to the Veyron, not the NSX. Having a V6, I'm sure the NSX isn't too bad on mileage.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/24/06 08:31 PM
Oh yeah, now I see. Stupid ADHD flaring up again!

Yeah, Honda engineering never fails to amaze me. I'm sure that the NSX gets better mileage than most sport utes.

Having never driven an NSX in person, the closest I can offer as testimony is that it was very tricky to learn to drive in Gran Turismo (I), the Playstation game. That midengine design had me squealing all over the place.

So, mdrew, does this mean I'm a better driver than you? LOL, I seriously doubt it. Half the time I was fish-tailing, then the other half I would understeer into something.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/24/06 08:57 PM
Mike's right about the NSX's ability to corner, mine is lowered with racing suspension and custom 17 inch front and 18 inch rears tires, rather than the 16 inch stock. I've never been able to break the wheels even with some pretty scary driving. The engineering is truly great, the car will get 25mpg on the highway even at excessive speeds. In the 8 years I've owned the car the only maintenance done has been, tires, oil and filters. The plugs are changed every 60,000 miles so I've got another 10 years at the mileage I drive it until I need to get that done.
J.P. you are more than welcome to take the car out for a therapeutically prescribed run, but of course I'll need her picture in advance and all details afterwards
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/25/06 03:31 AM
I still think a "K1 Attack" kit car would be pretty cool.

Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 06/25/06 04:57 AM
Yeah, K1 Styling has come a long way from their first car. I believe that they did a body replacement kit for a Camaro or something a few years back. They've been trying to get the Attack up and going for a while now. Nice vehicle in looks anyway. I'll have to hit their website again some time and see how they are doing.
GM announced today that the new Camaro will be built in Oshawa, Ontario. Production is set to begin in 2008, with the vehicles to hit showrooms in early 2009.

Full story here http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2006/08/21/camaro-oshawa.html
Posted By: dllewel Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 08/21/06 07:58 PM
Thanks FordPerfect for the news. Looks like Randy may have to wait a little for that new Camaro, until 2009 anyway. But then he has treatments to build and M80s to buy so he'll be busy. Maybe it will be 71, 81, 91, 2011? :;
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 08/21/06 08:52 PM

Just got done yesterday with 3 front reflection panels, look awesome and have improved the clarity of the sound.

2008 early production 2009 Camaro, bring it on.
Posted By: dllewel Re: New Camaro to be in Transformers Movie. - 08/21/06 09:59 PM
Bring on the pics (of your panels)
© Axiom Message Boards