Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 04:02 AM
My rebate came in the mail today for the Panny 900. With it came a Blockbuster rental card. It’s good for 100 free movie rentals. So I got to thinking, what in the hell am I going to do with it?? The closest Blockbuster is 265 miles away. I suppose I could peddle it on EBay, or give it to one of my buds that live in the big city, but all my friends are loaded and I just can’t be bothered with EBay.

So anyway, I’d like to give it to someone who:

1) can use it
2) will use it
3) won’t sell it
4) has an appreciation for this A/V hobby
5) has a limited income but financial obligations that seam endless (family, bills, braces, etc)
6) isn’t an asshole

I’m pretty sure there’s someone that frequents this forum that falls under the above 6 categories.

How should I go about doing this? Number 3 has me troubled.
I suppose we could pick a number between x and xxxxxx for example, and the closest person gets it, as long as you feel they are not a #6.
Put our names in a hat, shuffle and pick a winner...

One more thing. Is there an expiration date on this card. Don't know if I could watch 100 movies if it expires in 1 month. lol
Well Mike, I'm afraid there is nothing you can do about #3. In fact, if he does sell it even though he knew your wishes, then he actually is #6! LOL.

To make you feel better, instead of giving it away with conditions, why don't YOU sell it for something like $100, and donate the proceeds to the Childrens Make-A-Wish Foundation? (Or any charity close to your heart)
Posted By: medic8r Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 11:15 AM
I also got a Panny AE900 and my Blockbuster card is good for one year. They limit you to one free movie per visit, though.

And mine's only good for 40 rentals. Is this what I get for being a #6? LOL
I'd say look at the people that have posted recently, and randomly pick one. If they don't meet your criteria, pick another. Or do what Real80sMan said and make it a donation somehow. Or find some group doing a silent auction, and give it to them to auction off, or blow someone's mind away, and just give it to someone you don't even know (granted, this would be better if it was to someone who lived where there was a Blockbuster), but you get the idea.

I think that it is awesome that you want to just give it to someone. What a guy!
Posted By: medic8r Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 01:56 PM
Forgot to add that the card is only valid at the store at which you first use it. I haven't used it yet, but I'm glad I didn't use it on my recent vacation to NM!

And I would like to echo the comments about what a nice thing mdrew is doing. He is taking the "random act of kindness" philosophy and making it a reality for some lucky person.

'drew, let us know how this ends up working out!
Posted By: keend0 Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 02:02 PM
Donate to some boys or girls home in some inner city. Take the value of the rentals and write them off on your taxes. You get the best of both worlds.
Correction. It's only good for 40 movies / games....dangit! Don't know what I was thinking.

Must be the same card that you have Doc. It expires 04/02/07.

Oh well, it's still up for grabs.
When you live in a small community and give to charities or volunteer for just about anything, you automatically get put on “the list” and loose your life because you’re too busy doing things for everyone else. I was going bananas trying to keep track of everything, so now I try to just give to one charity – United Way. And that comes out of my paycheck. But I can’t seam to get off the Shiner’s “list”, so they get a check every year……I also send money to the make a wish foundation (I have a soft spot for that one for personal reasons). The only volunteering I do anymore is coach youth sports.

That being said, I just want to put the thing in the mail to someone who frequents these boards. I can tell if they are a number 6 easily enough.

I’ll have to thing about this some more………
I think you should give it to Jack..... He just stated in another thread that he never has the ability to get out to see a movie....
Posted By: HomeDad Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 03:45 PM
If it is okay with Jack, I second that motion.
It damn well better be OK with Jack. I plan on crashing his place this summer for a month or two and it means I'll get to see the movies too!

Does anyone have lots of beer that they can give Jack???
Posted By: Wid Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 03:52 PM

I don't know about that, didn't you guys read #6

Just kidding
How about you sell it to me, for 'x' dollars...and I will watch free movies for the next year...and catch up on things that I haven't ever seen...such as LOTR 1, 2, 3 (etc.). Then, I will post reviews of the movies I think were worth watching.

If you wish, you may donate the proceeds to a charity, or keep the money and take someone you care about, to dinner, or a movie, or for ice cream, etc.
For reasons that I’d prefer to not get into, I don’t think Jack would accept anything from me. But that makes we think that there’s probably others that wouldn’t either.

So in light of that little complication, I’m going to put one of my Axiom board bud’s on the spot and ask Rick (Botherbob) to figure this out and just give me an address to send it to.

I’ll also drop Tom’s name in the hat, for no other reason than he’s a nice guy with young’ns running around.

Tag Rick!!! You’re it!! Give me a holler when you figure it all out!!

…….I’ve got a HT room to finish. TTFN
Any idea if it's valid in Canada? If so, I'd use it! I wouldn't sell it, and my kids don't think I'm an asshole! My wife on the other hand.........
Nice gesture, Mike.

Unfortunately, I'm #6

I think you should give it to a charity and write off the FMV of the deduction. They've got to have a Boys Club or YMCA or something worthy in Anchorage. Just tell them you don't want to be on any future solicitation lists.

I think we should have BrotherBob figure out all of our thorny problems.
Posted By: medic8r Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 06:33 PM
He doesn't have as much time for us as he used to, as that "world peace" one has been a stumper for him.
Posted By: Zarak Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 06/30/06 09:41 PM
I could certainly use it...blockbuster is our main source of movie viewing. As far as the best way to decide who gets it though, a drawing is the only thing I can think of for now.
Sorry to all y’all Canadians……..card says it’s good for Blockbusters in the United States only.

Ya, I tend to agree. A drawing may just be the best bet, but I’ll defer to Rick’s judgment on that. Where is Richard anyway???

I don’t think you’re a #6 Ken.
Posted By: Wid Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 07/01/06 03:03 AM

I talked to Rick this afternoon, he's putting in some pretty heavy hours at work.
Posted By: RickF Re: A Gift for someone who could use it..... - 07/02/06 09:29 AM
>>> I’ll also drop Tom’s name in the hat, for no other reason than he’s a nice guy with young’ns running around.

Michael, Rick believes this is a most excellent idea ... for the same reason as you suggested. Congrats Tom!
well that was easy enough.........I'll get it in the mail as soon as I can get tom's address.
Aw shucks, guys.

Mike (and Rick) that's very kind of you. Our family will put it to good use. There is one of their stores on my usual route, and although we have Netflix, there are MANY occasions where I feel like just going to get something for TODAY, but I rarely do it because, well, we have Netflix so we should be planning ahead.

Very kind of you, Mike. I'll keep you posted, but I'm not going to write full reviews on forty movies or anything.
© Axiom Message Boards