Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Mojo The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/16/07 02:13 PM
Does anyone know if this movie uses the same filming/editing techniques as the second movie? I almost got sick in the second one with all the jittery camera motion and I don't want to see the third installment if it is filmed the same way.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/16/07 02:20 PM
It sounds like it is filmed in the same style. On The Daily Show, Matt Damon mentioned a movie review which griped about this same issue. Something to the tune of "Won't someone buy [director's name] a camera with a f*in' image stabilizer?!"

Otherwise all the reviews are good - they have a real action franchise on their hands.
Posted By: Peakjunkie Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/16/07 03:31 PM
I saw it in a very cool theater in Los Angeles where they have theaters called "Director's Hall" with great seating, sound, etc.

Yes, it is far more of that same approach. I can't imagine watching this on a home system because things are shot so close in.

The fight scenes are like you're right in there bobbing and weaving to the point that you don't even have a real perspective.

If you got nauseated on #2, you'll throw-up on #3.

BUT, I still say check out YouTube and search for Kimmel, Bourne, Damon. PRICELESS!!!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/16/07 03:50 PM
Quote:

BUT, I still say check out YouTube and search for Kimmel, Bourne, Damon. PRICELESS!!!

That IS funny!
Posted By: DistortedLullaby Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/16/07 05:53 PM
The 3rd one is a really good movie and yes the camera does shake a bit. Still a good movie to see, proabaly one of the best ones you'll see all summer!

P.S. that IS funny !
Posted By: Ray3 Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/16/07 11:30 PM
If you can get past the jitteries (Dramamine??), strap yourself in for a 2 hour ride. I was worn out when it was over.
Posted By: CV Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 03:05 AM
I haven't seen Ultimatum yet, but I will this Saturday. I agree about the camera work. It's not like it's never effective, but it IS pretty cheap when you can't even tell what's going on. However, I've enjoyed the first two enough to let the third have a free ride in that regard. I'm actually having some people over to watch the first two on HD DVD, and then we'll go to the theater to see the third. I'm hoping it's anticlimactic from an A/V perspective.
Posted By: Mojo Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 07:05 AM
Very good movie. I sat in the back row and still had to close my eyes a few times to stifle the barfies.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 06:34 PM
I enjoyed it, but yes, the camera is ALWAYS moving. I think it's to distract you from the fact that the movie has almost no plot to speak of. Here's a quick mini reivew:

chase
fight
chase
fight
chase
fight
chase
fight
chase
fight

the end
Posted By: BrenR Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 07:00 PM
No, no, it's not "jittery" - it's "edgy"

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 07:01 PM
If it's like a lot of other stuff these days, it's annoying.

Battlestar Galactica seems to have the camera style you're describing (as did Firefly/Serenity), but the plot's so good, I generally ignore it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 07:21 PM
Quote:

but the plot's so good, I generally ignore it.

That sounds illogical.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 07:41 PM
No, illogical is putting up with the original Star Trek just because the premise is good.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/17/07 09:24 PM
Quote:

Battlestar Galactica seems to have the camera style you're describing (as did Firefly/Serenity...

Battlestar does a lot of "zooming" and "refocusing" because they treat it like there is an actual cameraman (or woman ) doing the filming even for the 100% CG space scenes.

For the Bourne movies, I think that they just shake the cameras a lot to make it seem more "action packed."

I'll know for sure in a few hours as I am taking my wife to see B.U.
Posted By: Zarak Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/18/07 12:21 AM
I liked the first Bourne, but wasn't as impressed with the most recent too. Spiff's fight/chase description is accurate. There isn't much story time in between, just non stop reasons for action. I like action movies, but it gets to be a bit much.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/18/07 12:27 AM
For what it was, it was done very well. I enjoyed the entire movie, but you're not left with much afterwards. Kind of a hollow experience. A "one night stand" of movies.
Posted By: Mojo Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/18/07 02:29 AM
Exactly! Cheap thrill.

Edit: Actually, not that cheap.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/18/07 02:33 AM
My wife and I actually enjoyed the movie. Problem was that I was, thanks to this thread, LOOKING for the shakey camera...

Actually, I think that I would have noticed it anyway after about 5 minutes. It was REALLY bad... I mean my 8 year old daughter could have held the camera more still than that.

WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW:
I was hoping for a little more closure to the story. Too many movies "leave the door open" to another sequel.... I just wanted the story to be done.
Posted By: Mojo Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/18/07 02:58 AM
By tomorrow, you will have forgotten how it ended.
Posted By: CV Re: The Bourne Ultimatum - 08/19/07 04:49 AM
I liked the movie. But yeah, let's give David Webb a bit of a breather. Seriously, the guy needs a spa getaway, and the company of a woman whose hair doesn't need to be altered in the course of their brief relationship.
© Axiom Message Boards