Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 04:42 PM
Yeah, it's more brainy stuff, but with real-world appeal. \:\)

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizzes/MechanicalAptitude.php

I scored 430 points, 83%.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 05:05 PM
Wow! Let's just say you don't want me working on your car. Now I know why I took more art classes rather than auto shop.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 05:49 PM
Gah... lost the page halfway through. Not doing it again...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 06:02 PM
I scored 96% I guess I might make it as mechanic after all!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 06:16 PM
I surprised myself 490 points 98%.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 06:34 PM
Never overestimate the power of boredom at work. I passed with an 84%. 420 points. So... Peter... what did you really get?

The pulleys were not kind to me. Also, it says I was wrong on the first electrical switch question, the one with 2 switches and 3 bulbs. I don't think they're right about that.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 07:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Also, it says I was wrong on the first electrical switch question, the one with 2 switches and 3 bulbs. I don't think they're right about that.

mmmmmm k.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 07:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I scored 430 points, 83%.

How do you get an odd numbered score on a test with 50 questions? I think you short-changed yourself 3 points. You should write the math department at Berkeley and ask for your money back.

Now it is your turn to pick on me. I got a 74%, so it is a good thing I am not that kind of doctor.

If I had taken this after freshman year of college (stupid physics!) it would have been a different story. You engineers!!! (shakes fist at sky)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/19/07 11:20 PM
The 2 switches and 3 bulbs is with one switch shorting one of the bulbs, right? Since it's shorting the bulb, that bulb won't illuminate because the current is being diverted by the switch because it has a lower resistance than the bulb. So only two lights will be illuminated.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 12:29 AM
That's what I put.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 12:34 AM
It's an electro-mechanical aptitude test.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 12:43 AM
Hmm. I thought that it would still illuminate, although more dimly than the others.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 01:34 AM
No. It would dimly illuminate with a resistor (of the correct value) in parallel.

You know what I wonder though? Do the electrons actually check out both paths and then decide to take the one of least resistance (the switch)? Has anyone actually checked to see if a few dumb electrons actually go through the higher resistance (the bulb)? There's a research project for someone.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 01:49 AM
If I have the time I will throw it together tonight and let you know.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 04:08 AM
No wonder I didn't do well in Physics 7B.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 04:32 AM
I got the lightswitch one (least resistance!), some pulleys got me, and I messed up the Bernoulli's Principle one (#44).
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 05:19 AM
I got 96% and a score of 480. I messed up 2 gears on question #7, and I screwed up question #17. I should have known better. Maybe if it wasn't 12:15 am after a long day. Question #38 about the two fans almost got me. Then I remembered what I learned about spinning blades with me R/C plane... I won't give the answer, but it might surprise some people what it is.

I am definitely a visual guy. I could almost "see" what was happening. If the questions had no diagrams, I would have done a lot worse unless I drew some diagrams myself.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 05:22 AM
I'd hire you.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 05:33 AM
But would you hire me! I achieved 96% as well.

I am actully fairly impressed with all the scores, the planetary gears usually give people a hard time and no one has mentioned them as an issue. You are all on your way to doing Auto Transmissions.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 05:37 AM
You don't count because you're a mechanic \:\) . But sure. I'd hire you for speaker listening tests.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 07:05 AM
I was a little disappointed I didn't get 100%, I had forgotten pulley work, it really has very little do in automotives. I was surprised by how many questions there were on it.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 05:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
But would you hire me! I achieved 96% as well.

I am actully fairly impressed with all the scores, the planetary gears usually give people a hard time and no one has mentioned them as an issue. You are all on your way to doing Auto Transmissions.

That was the first time I had actually seen that gear combination. Again, I just visualized what it was doing, and it was pretty clear.

As for other comments about the scores of people here, I always knew that we were a smart bunch! \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 05:43 PM
I think it takes a certain amount of intelligence to rise above the mundane and be able to devote mental cycles to things audio. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/20/07 07:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
mental cycles

Good thing we have our own psychiatrist;\)
Posted By: Zarak Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/21/07 03:31 AM
Never studied/don't recall studying a lot of this. I am NOT mechanically inclined. I got a 340 and 68%, which is higher than I thought I was scoring. Some you could figure out just by looking at, others you needed to know how it worked.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/21/07 04:32 AM
I did a lot of hand waving while I was working on it.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/21/07 04:47 AM
I got a 74. I was doing really well until the electrical circuits questions.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/21/07 05:36 AM
Yeah, there are some things that you just can't figure out if you've never been exposed to them. I've seen electrical diagrams (basic ones), and they got me through that part. Without that, I would have missed those too.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/22/07 08:09 AM
I got hooked on the Bernoulli (#44), Fan operating against other fan (#38) (but realistically, I think I misunderstood the answers - same direction from your vantage point - not opposite direction being that one is turning cwise and one ccwise - it's like an air-powered torque converter)... and #31 - balancing non-centered fulcrums (growing up with a fat brother and a park with a see-saw, I should really have known about that earlier)

*shrugs* Pretty good, really.

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/22/07 01:13 PM
Yeah, the fan one was poorly worded. I noted that but ended up picking the wrong one.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/22/07 09:01 PM
Were there answers at the end that I missed or you just no you picked the wrong one based on discussions here afterwards?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/22/07 09:04 PM
There's a way to see the answers--I don't remember exactly where it is; it's labeled strangely.

Boy, that was useful, huh?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/23/07 12:01 AM
I think I got more wrong than I did right. \:\(

Just helpin' with the curve, guys.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/23/07 01:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: Zarak
Were there answers at the end that I missed or you just no you picked the wrong one based on discussions here afterwards?

When you are done you go to the top and click on the magnifying glass to examine your test.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Mechanical aptitude test - 10/23/07 05:24 PM
Now I'm going to have to take it again to see what I got wrong and why!!
© Axiom Message Boards