Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 03:46 PM
Why does this not surprise me. dvdtown
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 03:54 PM
I was wondering this the other day, what a joke.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 03:55 PM
phew. Good thing I have an obsolete HD DVD player!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 03:57 PM
What about Blockbuster?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 04:01 PM
How much more are they going to charge? My work is blocking the link. . .
Posted By: Ajax Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 04:38 PM
"Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said on a conference call that because Blu-ray discs cost more to purchase, the company plans on charging a premium on accounts that rent Blu-ray movies."

No specific amount mentioned. First time I've been glad I use Blockbuster. Whadaya know! Wonder how long it will be before they follow suit.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 04:43 PM
Thanks, Jack!

If that's the case, I'll switch my preferences back to SD discs. It sounds like a bunch of baloney to me.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 05:09 PM
Disgusting News
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 06:02 PM
 Quote:
First time I've been glad I use Blockbuster. Whadaya know! Wonder how long it will be before they follow suit.

My local Blockbuster just started charging a premium for Blu-ray.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 06:23 PM
Is it really all that surprising? It costs them more to obtain the discs, so they pass the cost to you. Business 101 stuff.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 06:25 PM
Yeah, I skipped that class. . .
Posted By: medic8r Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 07:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
My local Blockbuster just started charging a premium for Blu-ray.

Mine too - I took home 2 rentals the other day, and it cost over $10 with tax. As long as Netflix doesn't go crazy with the increase, I'll stick with them. Unhappily, maybe, but they'll still be the lesser of two evils. Reminds me of most political elections (ducks, runs, laughs to self).
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 08:00 PM
Well, it's a little bit surprising. Remember, it's not a buy/sell situation. They are renting it to you, and all of the other transactional costs (which make up a significant portion of the total rental cost) are the same.

So, will it take them longer to recoup their initial investment? Yes. But they could also very likely attract a more loyal audience interested in Blu-Ray if they didn't charge a premium.

Also, even back in the day of VHS tapes, and then DVDs, they did not differentiate the rental rate even though the purchase price of material varied hugely. Some VHS movies used to cost $79 and up, while others were $29. But the rental charged was the same.

Having said all that, I do recall that when DVDs first came out, they charged a premium relative to VHS. But I don't think it lasted that long. The market won't bear it for long.

My $.02. \:\)

Rich
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 08:17 PM
"The lesser of two weevils?"
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 08:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
"The lesser of two weevils?"

Name that movie! \:D

(aw, it's an easy one.)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 09:47 PM
I had to Google it. At first I thought it was Princess Bride, thinking of the ROUS.

I didn't realize that the answer had such comedy in it. I thought it was strictly action fare.

I also hear that it's a good subwoofer movie, so on the queue it goes.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/23/08 10:22 PM
I liked the movie well enough--until the light saber battle at the end. . .

Oh, I should have put a spoiler alert on that one.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/24/08 12:04 AM

Quote:

How'd you know I was about to post? \:\)

BTW medic8r, I like your new avatar!

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/24/08 12:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: Spoiler

Quote:

How'd you know I was about to post? \:\)

BTW medic8r, I like your new avatar!

Double spoiler alert! \:D
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Netflix will charge more for Blu-ray! - 04/24/08 03:06 AM
Anyone know when Netflix is going to start SELLING HD-DVD movies? I suspended my account when they dropped HD-DVD, and I don't want to use it for anything more than being able to buy HD-DVD movies on the cheap. Without a Blu-Ray player, I just get my new release SD stuff at RedBox for $1.09 a day.
© Axiom Message Boards