Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/29/08 10:10 PM
After some earlier hints about a West coast gathering of the Axiom faithful, I figured it's time to start an exploratory thread to see if/when we could do this thang.

Our mission, if we choose to accept it: gather Axiomphiles from 'round the land to convene in a mutually-agreed upon location - here-to-fore assumed to be in/near Tom's house, but I guess anything's up for discussion - sometime this summer.

Tuttlefest is born of the spirit of tomtuttle, one of the Axiomites I have had the pleasure to meet. Tom (his real first name!) is a great salt-of-the-earth guy who appreciates wine beer, women, and song. Plus he is really funny, even in person, and he has a kick-ass family.

I enjoyed my time with Tom so much that I hinted at widening the next get-together into a "fest", where many of us could congregate. Hence, "Tuttlefest 2008".

As summer approaches, I though it best to throw this out now so we could all stake out the required time off from work/school/therapy/servitude.

I know this is wide open, but any thoughts?
Posted By: Amie Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/29/08 10:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
I know this is wide open, but any thoughts?

First thought is "I hope you asked Tom first!" ;\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/29/08 10:41 PM
He would just volunteer anyway... ;\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/29/08 11:13 PM
Watch out, though, because he gives directions to his house by using landmarks.

Left at the big totem pole, straight toward Mt. Rainier, then right at the third beer store.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/29/08 11:59 PM
We're taking a trip down the west coast this summer. Maybe we'll see some of you. What do you all look like \:\) ?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 12:02 AM
My vote is for Disney Calif. in August. I'll be there in case anyone wants to stop by. \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 12:07 AM
Yes, Peter, but the directions were effective, were they not?

It is true that Clans Tuttle and Medic8r had a great time last summer in Oregon. And I have been truly blessed to meet and become friends with many other board (bored?) regulars.

I think AT Casa de Tuttle might be a stretch. That probably wouldn't feel like much of a vacation to the lovely Mrs. Tuttle and the Tuttle-ettes.

However, I am open to suggestions, with the understanding that veto power remains firmly vested with our CFO. The Tacoma/Seattle area is worthy of your time in the summer, and I am an enthusiastic tour guide. But my ability to provide accommodations is finite.

btw, I did appoint JP as the chair of the planning committee. ;\) This free-for-all is his idea of "planning".

I rather like the idea of again heading south to The Beaver State, as it might conceivably allow some of our California brethren to more easily join in. Or perhaps Northern California. Or Ken's house!

I'm fairly concerned that we'd need a significant amount of lodging in a concentrated area; this sounds like meeting or convention planning to me, and I really can't spare the time from my real job for this type of project at the moment. But perhaps if we all pitch in creatively and constructively, we can get there.

Dates that look promising to me are:

August 8-13 (Friday - Wednesday)
August 23-31 (Saturday through the following Sunday)

I'd love it if we could work something out. While auditioning equipment and deriving joy from music is obviously dear to all of us, my experience is that sharing the thrill of new and renewed friendship is even more rewarding. In other words, I am personally more interested in seeing YOU than I am in hauling M60's across country or you doing same. Peter will undoubtedly attest that my willingness to allow him to simply sit and listen was sorely tested when confronted by his rapier wit. I know that our interests will be wonderfully diverse.

It would be great if we got such critical mass that Ian and Amie could not help but join us \:D
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 12:19 AM
Anything on the West Coast sounds good to me. August 8-13, or 23-31 works fine for me.

Hopefully we can agree on a time and place that works for everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting the forum members here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:15 AM
I have a family wedding to attend in late August, which means my travel funds are eaten up. Why can't Medic8r host? He's always bragging about his 1800 square-foot guest house.
Posted By: CV Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:17 AM
Seattle area/Portland are the two I could end up in quite easily.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 01:47 PM
Everything Tom said is true. What Peter said (guest house) is not!

So day two of the planning committee is underway. Looks like day one went about as well as could be expected. Like Tom, I remain busy and did not want to do all of the planning. Another reason is that I didn't want to presume anything/take total control/be a raging narcissist about it. After all, that's what the Shout Box is for. ;\)

I figured Tuttle Home Base would not really fly but put it in there for, I don't know, kicks and giggles, and to get a rise out of Mrs. Tuttle. Personally, I'm up for anywhere because it's gonna be a plane ride for me no matter which West coast locale we pick. Perhaps this is a matter for another thread, but an East coast or Midwest gathering could also happen, of course. Not having run this by the boss (gulp), I can offer two guest bedrooms for a minifest sometime.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed my time in Portland last year and would go back any time. Likewise, my time in San Francisco a few years ago, with a drive up the PCH into redwood country, was awesome, so that would actually be my first choice. I have a friend (college roommate) in Oak Harbor, WA, so the Seattle area would be a nice one for me to explore also. I've never been to Disneyland, so HomeDad's proposal has merit, too.

Any time is fine. The August dates work for me.

I guess my preference would be

1. SFO
2. PDX
3. SEA
4. LAX

I am really looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works out.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 01:56 PM
If it ended up in either SFO or PDX, I would, circumstances permitting, endeavor, with all possible gusto, to be present.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 03:55 PM
Geez, Jack, how much potential gusto do you really have? \:\)

JP's airport code fixation notwithstanding, I more or less agree with his list. I'd probably lobby to amend the SFO thing to "Northern California Coast" or something. If it was California, I'd probably need it to be that last week of August instead of the earlier dates.

Or we could just crash Peter's sister's wedding.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:10 PM
If the Tuttlefest does come to Calif. I'll do my best to make it. I am locked into the Disneyland Hotel area from around Aug. 7-12 (wifes CME) but can still meet in the So. part of the state during that time.
Later in Aug. would be okay for a possible N. Calif. meet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:12 PM
I would love to attend something, but given the fact that I have a 1 year old who doesn't do well without his naps, I'm a little leery.

My house would be right out, but there are some lovely parks in the area, along with quite a lot of lodging!

Of course, that would leave me up to planning, which I don't think anyone wants (especially not me!)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:41 PM
My plan not to plan is going according to plan! Mwah-ha-ha.

Elliot is one already?! And I thought my kid was growing fast.

I'm thinking at least some of us will be able to meet up in some form. Spending the better part of a week with the Tuttle clan was a lot of fun last year, as Tom is an excellent tour guide and resource. Doing that again would be cool, or just bumping into him/you guys for a few dinners or events would be fun, too. It'll be whatever we want to make of it, whether it's the joined-at-the-hip option that prototype3a and I have selected, or the "Don't I know you" passing glance that -------- and I have selected for my trip to ----.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:47 PM
Yup, he's 1. I think (because of that, and certain other reasons) Dizzkneeland would be right out for us. SF Bay Area or somewhere in Oregon would be ideal.

Who do we have in Oregon?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 04:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
( ... and certain other reasons) Dizzkneeland would be right out for us.

Mouse phobia?

Antipathy towards the ubercapitalist corporation?

Sex offender registry issues?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 05:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Who do we have in Oregon?

Personally, I have some friends just south of Eugene. We took Nolan's name from their last name. Ben just got a kidney transplant, so we would love to see him and his wife again. We can all crash at their house, hah.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 06:35 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if my sister would mind a weekend visit, as she is in the SF area. Now if I could only come up with the cash for the plane tickets (return sub-covered), get my passport by Aug. (LOL)and have my wife agree to it all, never going to happen for me.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 06:51 PM
Pity! You are a top 25 poster!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 07:51 PM
swing that meeting to Calgary and I am there...err here!\:\)

My wife and I have been discussing heading down to see my sister next year, so maybe then or at least a visit to meet some of those in the Bay area.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 08:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
My wife and I have been discussing heading down to see my sister next year

Ah, Tuttlefest 2009!

Guys, we also need to start a tshirt committee, or at least get somebody into graphic design/Photoshop (Peter!) on the job.

I really want to be part of an adult group that goes places with matching tshirts. Come to think of it, we should make this a super-high priority.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 08:09 PM
I did the counting and found that you are not just a generic top 25 or top 20 poster, you are #16 on the post count board. Salute!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 08:11 PM
Thanks. I am just trying to keep up to Mojo\:\)

With summer coming and I am in the middle of a bit of a kitchen reno, so I am sure my post count will be dropping off substantially.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 08:27 PM
Enjoy watching your money fly out of your wallet!

Seriously, we will probably be there ourselves in a few years. Just had the bathroom redone, and it's spiffy. Who'da thunk I'd get so much domestic bliss?!

We now return this thread to Tuttlefest 2008!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 08:28 PM
 Quote:
Or we could just crash Peter's sister's wedding.
This is the best idea EVER. Seriously. Crested Butte, Colorado in late August is awesome. \:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 08:49 PM
Hmm, interesting. Never been to Colorado. If it's in the southern part, then I could sneak down to New Mexico for family. If it's north or west, I could mosey over to a state I've not been to before. I'm keeping track. Up to 30.

My aforementioned college roommate in Oak Harbor, WA is up to 47. Guess being in the Navy and then being an airline pilot helps.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 09:17 PM
I'm at 27 states. With the exception of New Mexico and the Dakotas, I've got the entire western half of the country covered. Here's a map -- blue is where I've visited, red where I've lived:

Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 10:05 PM
Wow, we should start a new thread where we all do a map like this. A map-o-gram of a person's life.

I'll do one soon (suuure) and may get fancy:

red = lived there
pink = lived there while in a school or work program
blue = visited
turquoise = drove through or had flight layover in (barely counts)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 10:16 PM
I have lived in more states than you: SC, RI, GA, IN (college), OH (summer internship), NC, SC, VA.

Visited: FL, MD, PA, NY, MA, KY, TN, MS, LA, IL, WI, MI, TX, NM, CA, OR

Driven through: AL, NJ, WV, DE, MN

Flight layover: UT

Nada: CT, ME, NH, VT, IA, MO, AR, KS, OK, ND, SD, NE, MT, CO, ID, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NV
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 10:18 PM
I can't believe you've never been to Florida.

And you are seriously lacking Southern exposure. Road trip!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 04/30/08 10:44 PM
Airport layovers don't count.

Driving through counts if you stopped to pee.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 01:06 AM
 Quote:
Driving through counts if you stopped to pee.

What if you peed while in the car. My dad never stopped for anything, just handed me a cup.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 01:08 AM
IIRC, I peed in Utah, too. ;\)
Posted By: BrenR Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 07:36 AM
I'm staying out of this one before someone pokes fun at my lack of wanderlust.

Bren R.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 03:24 PM
Oops - I put SC as a lived-in-state twice, and skipped WY as a nada. I'm down to 29. - edit: but I did drive into Washington state once; I'm counting it! Back to 30!!!

Starting a new thread today on this - back to Tuttlefest!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 03:37 PM
SCHEDULE REVISION

Another one of the lost pertinent facts conveyed to me by my lovely wife is the notion that my daughter will be swimming with the High School team for the first time (as a freshman), and that those practices will likely commence around the 20th of August. The actual date is not yet available.

So, I'm going to refocus my schedule priorities on the weeks of August 11 and August 18. Of course, if we gather proximal to Seattle, the swim thing doesn't affect Tuttlefest.

In addition to Volunteers, I hereby decree that a screening of The Big Lebowski shall be required.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 03:40 PM
The dude abides.
Posted By: JaredM Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 04:54 PM
Aw, this sounds like fun. I'm near Tom and think it'd be a blast to meet you all, I even have a couple extra rooms I could use to house some people...but August is bad for me. I'll be halfway up Mt. Kilimajaro in Tanzania on the 18th
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/01/08 05:07 PM
Whoo Hoo! I so enjoy crazy people!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/15/08 06:58 PM
Alaska is on the West Coast. I have room for a few if you don't mind sleeping on couches or the floor.

Otherwise, I plan to be in Napa the second week of Oct. Sept is no good....hunting season.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/19/08 06:47 PM
OK, for this week's planning committee meeting, I propose we hammer down the timing a little. For Tom, the weeks of 8/11 (Monday) and 8/18 are best. Either would work for me, but I would slightly prefer the 11th because schools start early around here, and I'll have a lot of ADHD teens calling the office in the end of August.

The only conflict I saw was HomeDad's Anaheim trip 8/7-8/12. Maybe he can take his private plane up to wherever we are and catch us on the tail end. Can we agree on the week of the August 11th?

Then we'll tackle the bigger thing, which is where!
Posted By: Murph Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 11:55 AM
It's Lobster season on PEI !!!!!

No? Oh well.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 04:26 PM
Who said "no"? ;\)

Early in the week of the 18th is looking better. My supervisor (a truly fine man) is retiring, and there are celebration and transition issues the week of the 11th.

The Southern Oregon or Northern California coast?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 04:31 PM
I know, let's have it in Weed!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 04:51 PM
LOL, on my last trip through Oregon and California, a stop at a gas station in Weed made for some fun photos.

I'm up for that location, i.e. southern Oregon, Northern California. I would fly into SFO, rent a car, and travel up the PCH.

It would be great to see Redwood country again.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 06:42 PM
Crater Lake? Eureka? Klamath Falls?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 06:45 PM
Wonder what the vacancy status is at Crater Lake? That would also be something I wouldn't mind repeating!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 06:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
Wonder what the vacancy status is at Crater Lake?

I believe it's currently filled with water.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 06:58 PM
Where's Jack with a raspberry smiley when you need him?!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 08:45 PM

Be very careful what you wish for.

(I really can't believe I posted that pic a second time )
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 08:53 PM
Auggh! I said SMILEY!!! Emoticon! Not larger than life image of Ajax!

As Peter would say auf Deutsch, "Meine augen!!!"
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 08:55 PM
Seriously, good to see you around the boards, Jack. How are things working out for you lately?

Remember to phrase your answer in the form of something that hijacks this thread back to Tuttlefest! ;\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 09:16 PM
Good to be seen, J.P. Things are going well, thank you for asking. I don't have a lot of time to post, but I check in here, every now and then. I miss all you guys, which hopefully can be rectified IF I'm able to make it to Tuttlefest, which I shall try my best to do.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 09:32 PM
Aug 18-22nd, I've got a class in SF.

Crater Lake might work for me; my in laws have a little (as in you can't all stay there) house just over the border in Oregon.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 09:33 PM
Sweet, Jack!!!

Ken, we're coming anyway!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/20/08 09:35 PM
Heh... I'm sure my father in law will be thrilled.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/27/08 07:06 PM
Just realized my wife has about 90,000 Delta Skymiles and they're itchin' to be used.

Where's we meetin' at?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/27/08 07:10 PM
I'd like to know, too. If we can finalize something as early as possible we can get plane tickets and all that jazz. Aren't they usually cheaper if you get them well ahead of time?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/27/08 09:29 PM
Too bad Delta takes 2 years off your life every time you fly with them.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/27/08 10:55 PM
With the way the airline rates fluctuate, you can be better or worse off booking early.

Since it's starting to look like I'll have to miss this years event \:\( Perhaps we should start planning for 2009 early and give everyone lots of time to lock in arrangments. With enough advance planning I'm open to all suggestions.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/27/08 10:59 PM
 Quote:
With enough advance planning I'm open to all suggestions.

Lunarfest '09! If we call early enough, NASA may be able to squeeze us in. ;\)
Posted By: Amie Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/28/08 12:41 AM
Have you ever used Farecast.com? It searches historical data and then tells you whether prices are likely to go up or down from the point they're at now.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/28/08 12:51 AM
No, I haven't used Farecast. Truthfully, I've only flown a couple times. I'm a rookie when it comes to air travel.

Do prices fluctuate that much? I don't really know.

Edit: Farecast says to buy now. Hmm, I still think I'll wait a bit.

Posted By: Amie Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/28/08 01:01 AM
Oh yes! I've seen swings of $800 on flights to Europe. Brutal! But domestically might be different. I don't usually fly around the US without crossing a border, so maybe it's a Canadian>International thing.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/28/08 01:04 AM
I can't foresee it being too bad for me--it's just a flight up the coast. I'd imagine longer flights, or international flights would be affected more.

Thinking out loud--maybe I should just drive up there. It'd be a great opportunity to enjoy the other parts of California and Oregon. Of course, gas could be $7 a gallon by then. . .

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 05/28/08 03:44 AM
Yeah, road trips are looking less and less attractive unless you own one of them new-fangled hybrids or biodiesel conversions.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Tuttlefest 2008 - 07/03/08 10:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Too bad Delta takes 2 years off your life every time you fly with them.

Yeah, we never actually fly them anymore. They never win the Expedia price wars. The miles came from an American Express card that we used heavily at Costco.

So, fellas, any Tuttlefest updates?

I have blocked off my schedule for the week of Monday, August 11. I'll be doing something fun that week, but the agenda is wide open. I would still love to hang out with you guys for at least some part of it.

I checked airfare today, not pretty. Nonstops to the west coast are $600, one-stops are $450-500. Cheapest seems to be Baltimore to San Jose. I'd be shuddering in fear on both ends of that flight, I bet. Still, I'd like to lock something in before the 30-day window prior to flying closes and the prices go up. Or is that 21? Or both?

Anybody going to be able to play along? And where is tomtuttle hiding these days anyway?!
© Axiom Message Boards