Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Another thing I won't get around to buying - 09/01/08 04:46 PM
I need a new scanner, but I really don't know what to pick. I'll mostly use it for scanning photos, some documents, and maybe some negatives (not that I've ever scanned a negative).

I currently have an Agfa Arcus II (ancient, SCSI, ginormous, finicky) and I'd like to replace it with something significanty smaller. I was thinking the Canon LiDE scanners, but I really don't know how good they are--and some reviews on Newegg make me leery.

The Epson Perfection V350 looks cool, but it also looks discontinued and only available as a refurb through Epson.

I'll be using it on a Mac, and I'd like to spend less than $150, pref less than $100. I also need a decent software bundle, since I don't actually have Photoshop.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I bought an Epson Perfection (2600? not sure) about a hundred years ago. We still have it and use it periodically. The Epson software bundle is quite satisfying.
Posted By: CV Re: Another thing I won't get around to buying - 09/01/08 09:09 PM
I've owned Epson and liked them, but it's been a long time since I've looked at scanners. I kind of want a new one, but I haven't fit it into the budget yet. I was hoping for the LED scanner technology to mature a little.
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
The Epson software bundle is quite satisfying.

Jeez, Tom.... are you using it for something other than scanning?
I've an older Epson that I've been pretty happy with. Something like this might fit the bill. Epson Perfection
I'm really quite happy with the non-professional / good-enough quality that our Canon MP830 all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax provides.

Also, can't you get Al to approve the purchase of Photoshop for you? ;\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Another thing I won't get around to buying - 09/01/08 10:18 PM
Yeah, but then he'd expect me to use it.
I'm happy with my Epson Perfection 4490 - the software's pretty good, as well.

I've so far been using it mostly to scan cover art from CDs where this is hard to find (classical stuff is particularly painful to locate).

Regards,
David
Another Epson Perfection here - the 3170 model. It has seen only limited use, but that's not any fault of the machine - just don't scan much here.
© Axiom Message Boards