Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 08:58 PM
Well, they're not my first impressions, as I haven't driven it yet, but this guy did.

I know that this car has been the object of some heavy breathing around here, especially in the sirquack household.

Enjoy.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 09:15 PM
wow.. pretty reasonbly priced for what seems to be a pretty kick ass car!
Posted By: JaimeG Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 09:43 PM
I'm not into muscle cars; I'd rather drive a MinCooper w/ decent handling... Sure, I'd look dorky in it but it's fun to drive :P
Nevertheless , the new Camaro sure looks good. I hope it age well, unlike some retro-style cars.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 09:45 PM
If they had of made this car 7/8 the size they did, then get the weight down to 3000lbs(or less), this would have been that much better and probably wouldn't need a V8 at all. The latest V6 from GM should be the standard engine for their entire lineup, just as Toyota and Nissan have done with their 3.5's, as it's a good combination of power/efficiency and so far seems to be reliable.

Nice design, but should be smaller, imho.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 10:11 PM
I have never been a fan of Chevy, but I do like the looks of the car. However, I also like(d) the looks of the Dodge Charger until I drove one for a week and found all sorts of "every day" flaws with the car. Nothing serious, but enough to make me have to weigh the "issues" with things like blind spots and such vs. the styling of the car.

I hope that the car does well. I have been slowly and steadily getting vehicles with more and more performance (currently have my first supercharged car right now) and by the time I get to the point of wanting/needing (maybe not NEEDING, but sure WANTING) something over 350 HP, I just hope that these types of cars are sill around and we aren't all driving that cheap car from Tata motors...

The "Nano"....

Nothing against someone being economical or being eco-friendly, but I like bigger, stronger cars...
Posted By: Zimm Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 10:33 PM
I had a '91 Camaro. I never cared about the jokes, as that car was the most fun I ever had in a car...that was moving...well moving fast. Yeah, I think that covers '91 to '94 (when I totaled it, having too much fun!)
Posted By: RickF Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/26/09 11:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: JaimeG
I'm not into muscle cars; I'd rather drive a MinCooper w/ decent handling... Sure, I'd look dorky in it but it's fun to drive :P
Nevertheless , the new Camaro sure looks good. I hope it age well, unlike some retro-style cars.

One of the guys I work with has a Mini Cooper S, that is one cool car with lots of style. I'd love to have one of those.

State trooper down the street just recently got a new Dodge Charger for her cruiser, said it's OK but also said the best and fastest car the state of Florida ever used was the Mustang ... even better than the Camaro.

Back in the day I bought a '77 Camaro after getting out of the Army, cool car. The new Camaro looks good and with the financial bind that GM is in right now I would only hope it's sold for a reasonable price.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 12:01 AM
 Quote:
Nothing against someone being economical or being eco-friendly, but I like bigger, stronger cars...

Last summer I seriously considered buying a Smart car . Not because its economical or I being eco-friendly but to give the Saudi royalty the finger.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 12:35 AM
Did you guys see this prototype from Volkswagon . Great mileage in a mid-engine sportscar...hopefully they build it so we can have our cake and eat it too!
Posted By: RickF Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 12:48 AM
I like that VW Adrian, it certainly looks do-able and would fit well with the masses.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 01:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
If they had of made this car 7/8 the size they did, then get the weight down to 3000lbs(or less), this would have been that much better and probably wouldn't need a V8 at all. The latest V6 from GM should be the standard engine for their entire lineup, just as Toyota and Nissan have done with their 3.5's, as it's a good combination of power/efficiency and so far seems to be reliable.

Nice design, but should be smaller, imho.

They already do. It's called a Pontiac Solstice GXP. ~3,000lbs, 2.0L Turbocharged, intercooled, Direct-injected 4-cylinder engine w/ 260hp, 30+mpg. \:\)

We love ours! ;\)

Mini Cooper S's are great. Loads of fun. I've almost bought one, twice. On both occasions the salespeople were such jerks that I walked out on the deals.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 01:55 AM
In 1969 I bought my first brand new car, a Z28 Camaro, so when I heard they were bringing the Camaro back with styling from the '69 model I thought I'd give it a very close look.

I'm looking to buy a "toy" to spend my sunset years in and I found the idea of going back to a Camaro very appealing.
This month I went to the autoshow in Toronto and checked out the Camaro along with a few other cars.

The car I saw was painted in the same colours I had, orange with wide white stripes. I wanted to like it, but it was impossible.

The car below the windowline looks too "fat, the roof too low and the back quarter too much like a Dodge Challenger. The interior was lackluster and seemed cheap. No idea why they just didn't use the same body style as the orignal and put in a good interior.

I've read a few road tests comparing it to other cars and it seems to do ok but I just can't get over the styling.

I owned many GM cars but gave up on them after "experiencing" a 1991 Chevy Lumina, I was hoping to be coaxed back but it's just not going to happen.

YMMV
Posted By: RickF Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 02:02 AM
Wayne my first impression of the new Camaro was that it reminded me of the Challenger also ... would an original pristine '69 Z28 make a nice 'toy' for your sunset years?

I thought so. \:\)
Posted By: Haoleb Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 02:13 AM
Hmm... popular with murderer's these cars...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 02:31 AM
Muscle cars rule, economical cars are for weenies. \:\) I'm pretty much a GM man, and have owned many chevy's, including 2 camaros, still trying to talk the wife into a new SS.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 02:33 AM
With today's technology, Randy, there's no reason not to have both (HP/economy).
Posted By: BrenR Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 08:04 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
With today's technology, Randy, there's no reason not to have both (HP/economy).
Technology is the replacement for displacement.

Though I do miss an exhaust system that goes "ka-burble... ka-burble"

Bren R.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 04:08 PM
There is nothing quite like the exhaust sound of that makes the untrained ear think that your car is about to stall... ("ka-burble... ka-burble"). To "those" people it sounds like it isn't running smoothly, but when you tap the gas, WHAM! You are hit with the sound of power...

I like BOTH of those sounds...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 04:39 PM
True Bren, I think the new camaro with the 426HP version gets like 26+ on the hwy, not to shabby.
Posted By: Adrian Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 05:12 PM
A 3000 lb Camaro about 7/8 the size of this one, with the 3.6 as the base engine and a huffed or turboed 3.6 with 425 to 450 hp would be interesting, the motor would be lighter than a V8 for better handling as well. From the clips I've seen, that 3.6 sounds pretty good at full throttle too.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/27/09 06:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Wayne my first impression of the new Camaro was that it reminded me of the Challenger also ... would an original pristine '69 Z28 make a nice 'toy' for your sunset years?

I thought so. \:\)

It might have Rick.

Trouble is I really don't have the time anymore to bring one back to life, and one that has been fully restored is now pretty much out of my budget. Damn those baby boomers that support Barrett-Jackson \:\)

Whatever car I get; I intend to drive it a lot (trip to Canada's east coast for example) so I will need reliability. Wow; I really am getting old.

For many reasons I'm looking at a one owner 350z with full maintenance documentation or a new 370z. Probably a coupe but a convertible seems to be calling to me. If I do go for the later and want a 370z then I'll have to wait to next year when it's available.

Just to confuse the issue when the Camaro is available I'll be in line for a test drive.
Posted By: Murph Re: 2010 Camaro - First Impressions - 03/30/09 12:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
 Originally Posted By: JaimeG

One of the guys I work with has a Mini Cooper S, that is one cool car with lots of style. I'd love to have one of those.

State trooper down the street just recently got a new Dodge Charger for her cruiser, said it's OK but also said the best and fastest car the state of Florida ever used was the Mustang ... even better than the Camaro.

Back in the day I bought a '77 Camaro after getting out of the Army, cool car. The new Camaro looks good and with the financial bind that GM is in right now I would only hope it's sold for a reasonable price.

With a lot of remote management these days, we rent a lot of cars at work so free upgrades are common. Last year I was driving in (not driving, cause this would be a written admission of guilt if I ever was driving,) both a brand new Mustang convertable and a Dodge Charger.

The limiting chip kicked in on the Mustang at 115 MpH but the Charger just kept going and going and felt much tighter to the road doing it. We never found the limiter on the Charger because we never got the highways space. Might be interesting to have them go at each other without the limiting chip.

The Charger was also more comfortable and just generally a much nicer car for long trips in my opinion. If I was looking for a new fast car, it would be high on mu list.
© Axiom Message Boards