Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 01:28 AM
I know that Ken likes Mythbusters, and figured enough others did, or would, to warrant posting this:

650 mph rocket sled vs. car

Not often is "awesome" a massive understatement.
Posted By: fredk Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 01:40 AM
\:o
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 02:31 AM
My 12 year old son and I watched that episode together the other day. It was a great family moment.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 03:54 AM
Confession: I follow Adam Savage and Grant Imahara on twitter. \:\)

Stevie and I enjoyed the episode as well. \:\)
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 04:25 AM
Reminds me of the other show on the discovery channel where they shoot everything with high speed cameras.

So fun to watch.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 05:03 AM
That "other show" is called Time Warp... Pretty fun too since it usually has something to do with the high speed filming of something else being destroyed...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 09:05 AM
Mythbusters, Time Warp and The Science of Sport, some of the best TV shows out there.
As far as I'm concerned, Mythbusters ought to do a special show with the Time Warp guys and just spend a whole hour re-shooting the rocket sled crashing into things from every possible angle with their highest-speed cameras. The rocket sled was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on Mythbusters. The replayed it over and over, and I think I doubled the count with my DVR. Seeing that sled just "eat" that Ford Aspire was incredible.

Ranks right up there with the exploding cement truck.

But I totally agree, Mythbusters & Time Warp are two of the more worthwhile shows on TV.

That new Davinci one that was advertised during Mythbusters also looks interesting. I haven't watched it yet, but it's recorded. Anyone watch it? Was it worthwhile?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 06:40 PM
Doing Davinci was pretty cool. No Mythbusters though. \:\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 06:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Confession: I follow Adam Savage and Grant Imahara on twitter. \:\)

Stevie and I enjoyed the episode as well. \:\)

I'd follow Grant Imahara just about anywhere - except twitter. I really struggle to understand the point of Twitter.
Posted By: Murph Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 07:12 PM
I also don't get Twitter but when you think about it... Here we are, rambling off anything that comes to our mind in short bursts......
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 07:20 PM
Yes, but I don't NEED to have it sent to my cell phone to see what the latest blurb is about and I really don't care what all the celebrities posting on twitter and the like are doing right now.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 07:22 PM
I used to regularly watch Mythbusters but it became more of a 'controlled' explosions show. The original show formula of cool experiments and the science behind was replaced with let's blow this thing up and see what happen. Al least Discovery Science channel still have relevant programming. But I got to say , that rocket thing was awesome!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 07:24 PM
It's getting a bit better. I think a lot of it is driven by their producers. When Peter, Adam, my wife, and I saw them live, they said that some of their favorites are ones that don't include explosions.

Anyone else notice that Discovery is just taking elements from their good shows (Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters in particular) and making whole shows out of them? I mean, come on. A slow motion show. A blowing stuff up show. Please.
Posted By: Murph Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 08:30 PM
Obviously you are not remembering the old Canadian SCTV classic from the 80's, "Celebrity Blow Up."

Some more memorable guests whom were "blowed up real good!" include, Dustin Hoffman, David Steinberg, Bernadette Peters, Meryl Streep, and Neil Sedaka.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 08:33 PM
CA for California, not Canadia.
Posted By: Murph Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 08:43 PM
I don't get the Ca reference ???
Except that I know you are from there.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 08:46 PM
Oh, I was talking about my location. \:\) Nope, not seen much Canadian television (ignoring made in CA stuff broadcast in the US), apart from the Red Green show, which I'm sorry to say, struck me as pretty dumb. <runs away and hides>
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 08:50 PM
They got blow'd up real good!!
Posted By: Murph Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 08:58 PM
Well if you thought Red Green was dumb, well lets just say SCTV made Red Green look like a serious documentary. It was the dumbest of dumb, dumbness. Although I do have a soft spot for the Bob and Doug Mackenzie characters.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 09:01 PM
That's kinda scary!

I don't have a problem with dumb in general, but I like my dumb smart, or at least clever. Red Green just seemed like they recycled the same jokes over and over again.
Posted By: fredk Re: Mythbusters: Blowing up stuff again - 04/14/09 09:57 PM
 Quote:
apart from the Red Green show, which I'm sorry to say, struck me as pretty dumb.

Lets see if you sing the same tune duct taped to the front of a rocket sled.
© Axiom Message Boards