Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Where in the world is Bren? - 01/23/10 09:31 PM
I was just sitting here cruising the forums, and I thought that I haven't seen Bren (BrenR) post in some time. Upon checking it was August the last time he posted.

Anybody been in contact with him?
Posted By: fredk Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/24/10 04:09 AM
He's out Winipeg way. He is probably frozen solid somewhere until the spring thaw.
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 08:17 AM
Bren's back.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 08:27 AM
Wow, there must have been a disturbance in the force... I log in 3 days after this is posted.

Sad to say, nothing really exciting keeping me busy... just more to do around the house since I became unexpectedly single this summer. Have to wear two hats these days... though I figure in another year or two I may figure out how to fold every size of towel I own and make them look like the ones I folded the week before.

- Did some dating (dating in one's thirties is a train wreck, let me tell you - where's SpeakerGrrl when you need her?)

- Still doing a lot of shooting (only some of which was tied to the dating)

- Spent the summer and fall doing a lot of wood refinishing (mostly gunstocks - been buying up a lot of "fixer-uppers", many of them end up in the hands of people that used to own one just like it... that's always worth a smile... "hey, I had one of these when I was a kid...")

- Been actually USING the home theatre a lot more (now that it's not a democratic vote on movies to watch, been going back and watching or re-watching a ton of war movies, if anyone's got some suggestions, let me know... though at a rate of 6-7 a week, I think I've almost covered the genre)... ended up having to buy a new TV, nothing shocking or amazing, just a 42" RCA LCD.

Other than those things, just been doing the day-to-day "life" stuff.

Bren R.
Posted By: grunt Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: BrenR

Sad to say, nothing really exciting keeping me busy... just more to do around the house since I became unexpectedly single this summer. Have to wear two hats these days... though I figure in another year or two I may figure out how to fold every size of towel I own and make them look like the ones I folded the week before.

Ok you are single now so first lesson. You don’t have to fold towels. That’s what the “clean pile” is for. A walk-in closet works great to store the “clean pile” an extra bedroom will do in a pinch. You can sell, give or throw away that dresser now that It’s redundant. Also get rid of the hangers. Only things that go on hangers are stuff that needs to be dry cleaned everything else goes in the “clean pile.”

- Did some dating (dating in one's thirties is a train wreck

The only thing better than dating in my thirties was dating in New Zealand. American and Canadian English accents (many Kiwis can’t tell the difference) are a ticket to a sure thing. For the Aussie and Kiwi members the opposite is true if you visit the States.

Great way I found to meet eligible bachelorettes in my 30s was to go back to university. By the time they get there many are sick of immature guys and looking to date “older” men. So if there’s a university nearby take a class.

Though not really a “traditional” war movie if you haven’t seen it “Kelley’s Heroes” is IMO one of the best WWII movies ever made. Also, if you’re running out of movies I always liked the TV series “Combat!” Think of it as “Band of Brothers” lite. It ran 5 seasons (first 4 in B&W) and tops out at over 150 episodes so it could last awhile.

Cheers, and happily single ;\)

Dean
Posted By: fredk Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 10:06 AM
 Quote:
Though not really a “traditional” war movie if you haven’t seen it “Kelley’s Heroes” is IMO one of the best WWII movies ever made.

Who would have guessed?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 10:51 AM
Hey Bren! Figured I'd say "hi" since you dropped by!
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 12:33 PM
Yes, "Hi".

I'll say out loud what all the married guys are thinking. Deep down somewhere, we envy your new found freedom. I'd never trade my wife for anything in the world or beyond and I admit I'd probably go nuts on my own now too.... but nostalgia does kick in when I hear about guy returning to bachelorhood.

Keep us updated when you feel inclined so we can live vicariously through your stories and remember, even if you don't have any good stories, you owe it to us to make some up.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 12:51 PM
I can't imagine re-entering the dating scene after 24+ yrs of marriage.....

But, that is not why I am posting. "The Boys in Company C" was R.Lee Ermey's first movie and one of my favorites - I don't think it is out on DVD though.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 12:52 PM
...been going back and watching or re-watching a ton of war movies, if anyone's got some suggestions, let me know... though at a rate of 6-7 a week, I think I've almost covered the genre)...

AHHH! You've come to the right place. I'm going to assume you've seen most of the more modern greats, Band of Brothers, Das Boot, The Great Escape (if it's in color, it's modern) etc. Not sure how far back you're willing to go, or if you can stand black and white and a 3x4 aspect ratio. If you can...

Battleground One of my favorites.
Destination Tokyo Great sub movie
Sahara Bogie at his best
Run Silent, Run Deep Another excellent sub movie. Gable and Lancaster this time.
Five Graves To Cairo A real sleeper. Not a lot of action but a slick mystery with a nice twist at the end. It's a wonderful and clever movie that should not be missed.
The Enemy Below Tense duel between destroyer captain Robert Mitchum and U-Boat commander Kurt Jurgens.
Stalag 17 Excellent German POW camp drama. William Holden with a great cast of supporting actors. (AT EASE!)
Sands of Iwo Jima John Wayne
The Dam Busters True story of the ingenious British bombing technique used to destroy the Ruhr river dams and flood the heart of the German industrial complex. I believe many of the shots of the bombing tests are the actual tests, not scenes staged for the movie.
Bataan Another great ensemble cast.

There are, of course, many more but I gotta go eat breakfast. Good to see your name pop up again, Bren.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 01:06 PM
Welcome back, Bren!

And, Jack, thanks for the recommendations. I'll add those to my Netflix queue!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 02:54 PM
Another welcome back!

Jack, thanks for the movie links. Yes, you are correct about the Dam Busters practising their missions on old dams in Britain, in fact many years ago I visited some relatives near the Welsh border who took us into Wales for a bit of sight seeing and saw some of the old dams that they practised their runs on.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 03:10 PM
Welcome back Bren!

Murphy's War is a good one, starring Peter O'Toole.

I remember watching The Dam Busters a while back, good movie!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 03:58 PM
If my Speakergrrl account weren't banned, I'd have had her welcome you back, and probably even had her give you her myspace page URL and cell phone number. But I digress.

Good to see you around again, and best of luck with your newfound freedom!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:00 PM
And Jack, thanks for the movie tips. Good stuff. Quick question - do you happen to have any tips on getting them past the wife-beast that guards the Netflix queue?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Jack, thanks for the movie links. Yes, you are correct about the Dam Busters practising their missions on old dams in Britain, in fact many years ago I visited some relatives near the Welsh border who took us into Wales for a bit of sight seeing and saw some of the old dams that they practised their runs on.

Very Cool!!!
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:05 PM
Bren seemed to have worked that out JP, maybe a tip or two from him?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:09 PM
Bren, so nice to see the electronic evidence of your continued existence on my screen once again. \:\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Welcome back, Bren!

And, Jack, thanks for the recommendations. I'll add those to my Netflix queue!

Anytime, Sean. \:\) I'm both a huge movie fan and a World War II history buff. Put those together and you can see why I'll watch almost any WWII flick and enjoy it. That's partly why I hesitate (only for a second or two, however ) to recommend movies. I'm not all that discriminating and we all have different tastes.

I'd be surprised if you enjoyed every one of those movies, but if you can find two or three you really enjoy, then I've done well.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:16 PM
Welcome back, Bren. Stick around, this could be interesting...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
And Jack, thanks for the movie tips. Good stuff. Quick question - do you happen to have any tips on getting them past the wife-beast that guards the Netflix queue?

You're most welcome, J.P, but you're asking the wrong guy about sneaking anything past a wife-beast. I'm single. You're on your own with that one.

EDIT: Had a thought. Start her out with WWII psychological drama/love story movies like Eye Of The Needle (a good spy drama) or So Proudly We Hail (a really good story about nurses on Bataan) or The Human Comedy (a very emotional drama about the home front. Bring a box of kleenex).
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 04:59 PM
There is an old WWII movie (B&W) that I have only seen once years ago. Set on a Japanese held island - lots of caves. I can't even remember who the cast was - what I do remember is that a big deal was made out of the handling of the dog tags for the KIA's. They place the Tag in the mouth longways between the upper and lower teeth stating that was the best way to insure that the tags did not get lost. Does that ring any bells?
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 05:23 PM
Don't forget the all time classic, "Das Boot," (the original version,) although I'm betting you didn't.

I also liked "A Bridge to Far" although it was a bit more 'Hollywoody' compared to others listed so far.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 08:39 PM
Thanks for the welcomes back and the movie ideas... wrote them down to take to the video store with me.

Been watching a good deal of them... sometimes theme nights... like U-571, Run Silent Run Deep and Das Boot all in a night (with a sub sandwich for supper)... my last pile was supposed to be a Lee Marvin set, but the only one available was the Dirty Dozen (with a bonus disc of the made for TV sequel... that lasted 15 minutes before I turned it off)

By memory, I've had: Johnny Got His Gun, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, U-571, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, Pork Chop Hill, Hamburger Hill, Flying Tigers, M*A*S*H, A Bridge Too Far, Tora Tora Tora, Black Hawk Down, All Quiet on the Western Front, Enemy at the Gates, Great Escape, Dirty Dozen, Three Kings, Full Metal Jacket, Bridge on the River Kwai, Shaving Ryan's Privates, and probably a few dozen more I tried to forget.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 08:47 PM
Please tell me you haven't overlooked Band of Brothers. \:o
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:04 PM
Someday, I'm gonna watch that, Jack! \:\)
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Ok you are single now so first lesson. You don’t have to fold towels. That’s what the “clean pile” is for. A walk-in closet works great to store the “clean pile” an extra bedroom will do in a pinch. You can sell, give or throw away that dresser now that It’s redundant. Also get rid of the hangers. Only things that go on hangers are stuff that needs to be dry cleaned everything else goes in the “clean pile.”
Uh, you realize I'm already teetering on the brink of "undateable"... my fridge magnets are made out of 12ga. low brass shotgun shells and my key rack/mirror at the door has .303 Brit brass for key hooks. I have to hang up my clothes or it may put me over the edge into fully undateable.

Originally Posted By: Murph
Keep us updated when you feel inclined so we can live vicariously through your stories and remember, even if you don't have any good stories, you owe it to us to make some up.
Not too much in the way of stories... dipped my toe back into the dating pool twice, once with a very nice and attractive young lady from the range (all this, and guns, too!) - was a little weird to date someone with the same Body Mass Index as myself (oh look, the number 11 walking down the street) and weirder yet with the big age difference "Hey, remember when Reagan was shot? Oh, wait... uh, the Challenger disaster? Oh, no I guess not, you were one day old... crap..." The second time was with a long term friend, some people you just can't make that jump with. Ah, well.

Originally Posted By: Ajax
Anytime, Sean. \:\) I'm both a huge movie fan and a World War II history buff.
At your age, wasn't WW2 "that newfangled war"?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:18 PM
Not exactly, but the Japanese surrender on the deck of the U.S.S. Missouri took place less than 90 days before my birth, so it was certainly considered recent history during my formative years.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:21 PM
So I take it that no one has seen the Japanese Island with caves and dog tag movie?
Edit:
THe group (including myself) is stumped?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
So I take it that no one has seen the Japanese Island with caves and dog tag movie?
Edit:
The caves one sounds a bit like Guns of Navarone... and I seem to remember a movie making mention of the dog tags but not sure that was the same one.

Bren R.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:28 PM
Seems like James Whitmore was in it. Definately not Navarone (one of my favs). I think I'll google Whitmore and see what pops up.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:31 PM
Thanks for the welcomes back and the movie ideas... wrote them down to take to the video store with me.

Been watching a good deal of them... sometimes theme nights... like U-571, Run Silent Run Deep and Das Boot all in a night (with a sub sandwich for supper)... my last pile was supposed to be a Lee Marvin set, but the only one available was the Dirty Dozen (with a bonus disc of the made for TV sequel... that lasted 15 minutes before I turned it off)

By memory, I've had: Johnny Got His Gun, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, U-571, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, Pork Chop Hill, Hamburger Hill, Flying Tigers, M*A*S*H, A Bridge Too Far, Tora Tora Tora, Black Hawk Down, All Quiet on the Western Front, Enemy at the Gates, Great Escape, Dirty Dozen, Three Kings, Full Metal Jacket, Bridge on the River Kwai, Shaving Ryan's Privates, and probably a few dozen more I tried to forget.

Bren R.

Heard there were some nice 'guns' in that one! \:D
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 09:32 PM
James Whitmore on the IMDB - with a prolific career like his... won't be easy to find.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 10:00 PM
Edit:
The group (including myself) is stumped?
The "dog tags in the teeth" sounds VERY familiar, but I can't come up with anything on that alone.

James Whitmore was the Sergeant in Battleground and was so good he won the 1950 Oscar for best supporting actor for the role. But that movie was about the 101st Airborne at Bastogne, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. There wasn't a Japanese soldier in sight, and no caves. There was a lot of fox holes in the snow, however. The movie is well worth watching to see if it's the one of which you're thinking.

He was a sergeant again, Marine this time, in Battle Cry and that was set in the Pacific. I don't remember much about the battle scenes. If I remember correctly, most of the movie centered around their training and time spent in New Zealand before they went in to battle.

I couldn't find any other movie of his that might qualify as Pacific theater, Japanese held Island, and lots of caves.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 10:11 PM
Edit:

I'm stumped.

But on a similar note I watched 'Letters from Iwo Jima' the other evening and forgot just how good that movie is.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/27/10 10:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: BigHonu
Shaving Ryan's Privates

I gotta quit making that joke, EVERY time I use it, someone says "you know there's an adult movie by that name, right?"...

Bren R.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 12:28 AM
Hey Bren, glad you came back to the dark side. \:\) Sorry to hear about being single, I'm sure things will all work out man..
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 01:04 AM

I'd be surprised if you enjoyed every one of those movies, but if you can find two or three you really enjoy, then I've done well.

I just added all of them to my queue! Well, except for "Five Graves to Cairo." Netflix didn't have that one. Shame, it looks very interesting! I'll look elsewhere for that one.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 01:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: BigHonu
Shaving Ryan's Privates

I gotta quit making that joke, EVERY time I use it, someone says "you know there's an adult movie by that name, right?"...

Bren R.

Netflix didn't have that one, either. \:\(
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 01:19 AM
Edit:
The group (including myself) is stumped?
The "dog tags in the teeth" sounds VERY familiar, but I can't come up with anything on that alone.

James Whitmore was the Sergeant in Battleground and was so good he won the 1950 Oscar for best supporting actor for the role. But that movie was about the 101st Airborne at Bastogne, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. There wasn't a Japanese soldier in sight, and no caves. There was a lot of fox holes in the snow, however. The movie is well worth watching to see if it's the one of which you're thinking.

He was a sergeant again, Marine this time, in Battle Cry and that was set in the Pacific. I don't remember much about the battle scenes. If I remember correctly, most of the movie centered around their training and time spent in New Zealand before they went in to battle.

I couldn't find any other movie of his that might qualify as Pacific theater, Japanese held Island, and lots of caves.

Yeah....I was looking but had to go to a meeting - I think it could be Battle Cry - but like I said, I don't remember much about it and it might not have been Whitmore.

Anyway - this has been a good exercise as I love war movies. I had hoped Boys in Company C would come out on DVD - I don't think it has - let alone Blu Ray.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 01:22 AM
Check it - Boys in Company C is out on DVD - although last time I checked it was not. Excellent Marine Boot Camp film that ends with the boys going to Viet Nam. I am pretty sure it was Ermey's first movie.....Rob
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 01:27 AM
I read that and I think "Boogie woogie bugle boy in Company B."

I guess that makes me weird. And also makes anyone who understands what I'm talking about weird.
Posted By: Wid Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 02:26 AM

Hey Bren, nice seeing ya.

I went and picked up a Brownng Buckmark Camper like new. It was dropping the mag so I was able to pick it up for $100 plus two extra mags (4 all together) All it needed was the grip screw tighten up and good to go.

Have ya shot one? It's a pretty fair pistol.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 02:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

I guess that makes me weird. And also makes anyone who understands what I'm talking about weird.

Thanks, Bette - or is it the Andrews Sisters?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 02:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: wid
I went and picked up a Brownng Buckmark Camper like new. It was dropping the mag so I was able to pick it up for $100 plus two extra mags (4 all together) All it needed was the grip screw tighten up and good to go.

Have ya shot one? It's a pretty fair pistol.
Shot a straight Buckmark... never the Camper... it shot better than I do. Is there much difference?

And at that price, if it goes "bang" you can't go wrong!

Bren R.
Posted By: Wid Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 02:59 AM

I'm not real familiar with the Buckmark models. I just figured it was money well spent. It is a nice little shooter though.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 03:51 AM

I just added all of them to my queue! Well, except for "Five Graves to Cairo." Netflix didn't have that one. Shame, it looks very interesting! I'll look elsewhere for that one.

OY! I sure hope you find some that you enjoy. Five Graves To Cairo is worth doing a little digging for.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 03:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

Not only do I understand what you're talking about, but my trio used to perform the song using The Andrews Sister's arrangement. Now THAT is REALLY weird.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 04:00 AM
Bren, missed you. Stay with us a bit and help us out with audio, guns and other good stuff.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 04:05 AM
Yup, Andrews Sisters. I don't think I've ever performed it, but my Mom used to perform it a lot.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 04:07 AM
Jack, I understand that around Cleveland it was your trio, not the Andrews Sisters, that had the preferred "Bugle Boy" for air play.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 04:08 AM
If John's not just making a joke, I'm prepared to be terrified of him.
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 06:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
But on a similar note I watched 'Letters from Iwo Jima' the other evening and forgot just how good that movie is.

I still need to re-watch my copy, but I agree. I liked it a lot.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 06:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: wid
I'm not real familiar with the Buckmark models. I just figured it was money well spent. It is a nice little shooter though.
Awesome. Like I say, the one I shot did well for me... and at that price... even it you had to throw it like a boomerang, you'd have gotten a deal.

I really gotta move down there. Seems you guys get all the deals.

Though there is an auction coming up here... big time collector... 506 pieces for sale. A lot of stuff I'm not interested in, and a few I am.

Should be able to walk away with something from that.

Bren R.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 06:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Bren, missed you. Stay with us a bit and help us out with audio, guns and other good stuff.
I'll try, can't promise anything... hard to keep up with all you guys around here, but definately missed the intelligence and wit.

Bren R.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 12:36 PM
I'll try, can't promise anything... hard to keep up with all you guys around here, but definately missed the intelligence and wit.

Bren R.

There's ingelligent life here?
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 03:37 PM
Maybe that was Bren being witty.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 07:30 PM
Now you're making it too easy!

Bren R.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 07:45 PM
I love creating threads like this that bring us all togethor like a big happy family, kinda like my "what are you listening to tonight" thread, oh yeah 2x6 said threads like this are a joke, to funny.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 08:34 PM
A lot of intelligent people seem to gravitate here.

I'm not really much on forums (due to John Gabriel's Greater Internet Dickwad Theory).. but this place is always homely homey.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 08:37 PM
Word, homie.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 09:08 PM
Homey D. Clown?

Bren R.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 09:17 PM
Welcome back Bren!
That Homey D. Clown was priceless.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 10:23 PM
The Axiom Forum is like a large group hug.

with occasional jabs and gaseous emanations.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 10:27 PM
And noogies.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/28/10 11:15 PM
And atomic wedgies.

And at my height, that's a LOT of stretch to get them over my head.

Bren R.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/29/10 01:21 AM
Now you're making it too easy!

Bren R.

I'd like to say that I was playing Lou Costello to your Bud Abbot - but - that would be a lie. And after the moment everyone is having here I have to say it was just a flat out typo.....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/29/10 03:30 AM
And atomic wedgies.

And at my height, that's a LOT of stretch to get them over my head.

The only wedgies happening around here are self-inflicted.

Ok, sure. We may bait, but only to set the hook in the waistband. People jump off the cliff themselves and gravity handles the rest.
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/29/10 07:43 PM
Normally our Jeepclub tries to avoid looking like rednecks because just driving a lifted rig paints you in that picture in some peoples eyes but once on a camping run up a mountain, one guy got so annoying that somebody hooked a snatch block to a tree limb and we used a winch to wedgy him up about 6 feet into the air for a while. He promised not to be so rude anymore and do you know what, even years later, he never was.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/30/10 05:57 AM
Welcome back, Brother.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 01/30/10 10:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Welcome back, Brother.
Well, former Brother... unless we share some parentage. But thanks muchly, Tom!

Bren R.
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 02:10 PM
You both were Monks? \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 02:15 PM
Baloneyus!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 03:34 PM
Wasn't Baloneyus Monk the jazz legend that Negative Orange got to produce their mind-blowing CD, "Psychotropia"?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 03:37 PM
I don't know, but I'm sure CV has the mangled fingers to prove it!
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 03:55 PM
What have I done?????????????
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 08:55 PM
"Well, how did I get here?"
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 08:59 PM
P.S.: Wikipedia fun fact of the day:

Kermit the Frog performed "Once In a Lifetime" on "Muppets Tonight", parodying David Byrne's marionette-like movements in the original music video. After the performance, Statler and Waldorf have the following exchange:

Waldorf: Same as it ever was.
Statler: Same as it ever was.
Waldorf: Yeah.
Both: Terrible!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 09:24 PM
\:\)

Was he wearing the oversized suit? \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 10:25 PM
Slow day for Crazy people in Augusta, apparently.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 11:51 PM
Or: Crazy day for Slow people in Augusta, apparently.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/01/10 11:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Or: Crazy day for Slow people in Augusta, apparently.
A people day for crazy Augusta in slow... uh... wait, no... dammit, I just wanted to play too!

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 10:59 AM
Thought of one more, relatively obscure WWII movie worth seeking out - The man Who Never Was.

"The Man Who Never Was is a nonfiction 1953 book by Ewen Montagu and a 1956 World War II war film, based on the book and dramatizing actual events. It is about Operation 'Mincemeat', a 1943 British Intelligence plan to deceive the Axis powers into thinking Operation 'Husky', the Allied invasion of Sicily, would take place elsewhere.

To create the illusion of a plan for England to invade Sardinia and/or Greece, a dead body is to be procured, allowed to be found with secret papers on him by Spanish authorities who will send the papers on to the Germans, or that's the plan.
"
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 11:03 AM
Man, I would have hated to be the guy that stood up when it was shouted: "I need one, single volunteer for a very important miss...BANG!"
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 11:13 AM
Interestingly, they wanted the body to appear to have been in a plane that crashed into the Mediterranean so they had to find a guy who had actually drowned. No gunshot wounds. True story, but dramatized, of course.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 11:15 AM
Man, I would have hated to be the guy that stood up when it was shouted: "I need one, single volunteer for a very important miss...Glug, glug.gluuuug!"

Good Morning, Jack!
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 05:53 PM
The Brits were masters at the art of deception in the intelligence arena. Scary.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 09:00 PM
Good Morning, Jack!

Good afternoon, Mark!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/02/10 09:21 PM
Too late now. I was snubbed this morning so my feelings are hurt. Haruuumph!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 03:04 AM

Battleground One of my favorites.
Destination Tokyo Great sub movie
Sahara Bogie at his best
Run Silent, Run Deep Another excellent sub movie. Gable and Lancaster this time.
Five Graves To Cairo A real sleeper. Not a lot of action but a slick mystery with a nice twist at the end. It's a wonderful and clever movie that should not be missed.
The Enemy Below Tense duel between destroyer captain Robert Mitchum and U-Boat commander Kurt Jurgens.
Stalag 17 Excellent German POW camp drama. William Holden with a great cast of supporting actors. (AT EASE!)
Sands of Iwo Jima John Wayne
The Dam Busters True story of the ingenious British bombing technique used to destroy the Ruhr river dams and flood the heart of the German industrial complex. I believe many of the shots of the bombing tests are the actual tests, not scenes staged for the movie.
Bataan Another great ensemble cast.

There are, of course, many more but I gotta go eat breakfast. Good to see your name pop up again, Bren.

Watched "Run Silent, Run Deep" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for the recommendation, Jack. Next I'm going to try "Sahara" as I am a huge Bogart fan.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 01:06 PM
Very pleased to hear you enjoyed Run Silent, Run Deep, Sean. \:\) If you're a Bogie fan, I think you'll like Sahara. Good supporting cast.

One of the things I wanted to mention was that, many of these movies that were made during the war, were intended as morale boosters - propaganda, if you will. Bataan is a perfect example. Viewed through today's eyes, the movie, and particularly the ending, is a bit hokie.

But, if you are able to empathize - to place yourself back in 1942, understand how fearful you were with your country at war, your way of life threatened, with the outcome seriously in doubt, and see the movie through 1942 eyes - things make a whole lot more sense.

Stalag 17 was on Turner Classic Movies last night. Loved it all over again.

DOH! Another good one just popped into my head. They Were Expendable. It's about the PT boats operating in the Phillipines in the first days of the war. Some great (if slightly inaccurate) action shots of those beautiful 80 ft. Higgins boats speeding through the water on the attack, and under attack. John Wayne and Robert Montgomery.

The inaccuracy - Most WWII PT boat attacks were stealthy attacks. They would lay in wait, idling quietly, and creep in slowly to launch their fish. That's what JFK was doing with PT109 when he got run over by the Amagiri.

If you think about it, how smart would it be to run your 80 ft. wooden boat, at full speed, straight at a much larger, armored vessel that is armed to the teeth. Nonetheless, the shots of those beauties flashing through the water are a joy to see.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 01:48 PM
Jack, do you remember a made-for-TV movie with Rutger Hauer in it called Escape from Sobibor ? Based on a true story about an uprising in a nazi death camp during WW11.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 01:58 PM
World War Eleven? Crap! When did miss that? Who are you people? What Century IS this?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 02:18 PM
Didn't you hear about the Bukolite invasion of Kennistan?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 02:25 PM
It sounds vaguely familiar, but then I saw a shiny object and posted about it.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 05:32 PM
World War Eleven? Crap! When did miss that? Who are you people? What Century IS this?

DErailer!
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 05:34 PM

One of the things I wanted to mention was that, many of these movies that were made during the war, were intended as morale boosters - propaganda, if you will. Bataan is a perfect example. Viewed through today's eyes, the movie, and particularly the ending, is a bit hokie.

But, if you are able to empathize - to place yourself back in 1942, understand how fearful you were with your country at war, your way of life threatened, with the outcome seriously in doubt, and see the movie through 1942 eyes - things make a whole lot more sense.

I like to watch any of the movies from the WWII era - not just the war flicks - trying to see them through the "eyes of the time"
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 05:52 PM
I like to watch the Looney Tunes from that era.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 06:21 PM
These boards don't fill that quotient?
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 07:27 PM
The answer to a division formula? You know we refuse to do math here.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 09:13 PM
What is this Math you speak of?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 09:32 PM
quotient?

Freakin' spell check!
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 09:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I like to watch the Looney Tunes from that era.

Definately not written nor produced for kids.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/10/10 11:47 PM
"Ah, Ah say Bwaaah....what's all this 'bout Looney Tunes?

....stand up straight while I'm talkin' to yah Bwaah!" \:D

"BTW....two halves of nothin' is STILL NOTHIN'!!"
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 12:51 AM
Very pleased to hear you enjoyed Run Silent, Run Deep, Sean. \:\) If you're a Bogie fan, I think you'll like Sahara. Good supporting cast.

Stalag 17 was on Turner Classic Movies last night. Loved it all over again.

DOH! Another good one just popped into my head. They Were Expendable. It's about the PT boats operating in the Phillipines in the first days of the war. Some great (if slightly inaccurate) action shots of those beautiful 80 ft. Higgins boats speeding through the water on the attack, and under attack. John Wayne and Robert Montgomery.

The inaccuracy - Most WWII PT boat attacks were stealthy attacks. They would lay in wait, idling quietly, and creep in slowly to launch their fish. That's what JFK was doing with PT109 when he got run over by the Amagiri.

If you think about it, how smart would it be to run your 80 ft. wooden boat, at full speed, straight at a much larger, armored vessel that is armed to the teeth. Nonetheless, the shots of those beauties flashing through the water are a joy to see.

Good point, Jack, about the propaganda. It does help to view these movies in the proper context, sometimes.

I remember watching Stalag 17 as a kid and really enjoyed it. Sure, I didn't fully comprehend everything, but the drama captivated me.

I can imagine they'd have to take some liberties with making the PT Boat attacks more exciting. Watching boats bob up and down in the water for an hour does not good drama make! \:D
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 02:13 AM
Geez i actually fit into this thread seamlessly.
I own or have seen about half of the movies that Jack has listed.

I have to add a few more for you Bren:

Memphis Belle

Empire of the Sun

A Bridge Too Far

Battle of Britain

and one of my favorites,

Midway.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 03:00 AM
Without skimming back thru....has anyone mentioned "Bridge Over the River Kwai"?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 03:07 AM
Anyone mention "The English Patient"?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 03:19 AM
One of my favorite bands that never made it big, Guadalcanal Diary, was named after a WWII movie.
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 05:17 AM
Don't forget Blackadder Goes Forth.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 05:20 AM
If I drink too much, my Bladder Goes Forth.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 11:13 AM
How DARE you guys take my off topic ramblings OFF TOPIC. Harumph!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 11:22 AM
Jack, do you remember a made-for-TV movie with Rutger Hauer in it called Escape from Sobibor ? Based on a true story about an uprising in a nazi death camp during WW11.

I certainly recognize the title, but I don't believe I've ever watched it. As fascinated as I am by the WWII era, I tend to steer away from things that deal with the camps (concentration as opposed to POW). Being aware that human being are capable of such unspeakable cruelty just overloads my poor innocent brain. I have some wonderful film documentary series on WWII and the actual scenes of the camps are so disturbing and depressing that I often find it all too much to comprehend. \:\(

However, I will try to give it a shot sometime. Thanks.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 11:25 AM

I like to watch any of the movies from the WWII era - not just the war flicks - trying to see them through the "eyes of the time"
Good for you and good to hear!!! Not an easy thing to do.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 11:29 AM
I can imagine they'd have to take some liberties with making the PT Boat attacks more exciting. Watching boats bob up and down in the water for an hour does not good drama make! \:D
LOL! Ain't it the truth. As my father used to say "well, they gotta have a story, ya know." \:D
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 11:30 AM
I received the "WW II in HD" Blu-Ray set the other day after having watched it on TV a few months ago. Good for the "documentary" groupies...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 12:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Geez i actually fit into this thread seamlessly.
I own or have seen about half of the movies that Jack has listed.

I have to add a few more for you Bren:

Memphis Belle

Empire of the Sun

A Bridge Too Far

Battle of Britain

and one of my favorites,

Midway.

Some excellent stuff!

Memphis Belle: How can you not like a true story about the guys flying B-17s and one, in particular, which actually made it through 25 missions. Remarkable.

Empire of the Sun: A really quirky movie that fascinated me. Was stunned to realize that the young boy who endured a Japanese concentration camp grew up to be Batman (Christian Bale).

A Bridge too Far. Tough one for me to watch because Operation Market Garden was such a debacle.

Battle of Britain: I have it on Blu-ray. Wonderful to watch those beautiful Spitfires soar. "Never have so many owed so much to so few." Never have truer words been spoken. Truly their "finest hour."

Midway: OOO! OOO! OOO! One of my absolute FAVORITES! Not only because it's a good flick, but because it is about the single, most remarkable, most pivotal battle of the Pacific War. And, that's saying a lot because damn near every battle of the Pacific war was remarkable.

Ya gotta remember that, from December 1941 to May 1942, the Japanese ran rampant over the far East. Nothing but victory after victory, gobbling up territory after territory and country after country.

But, in May, at the Battle of the Coral Sea, which was a tactical loss (they sank the big carrier Lexington and we sank their small carrier Shoho) but a strategic victory (we stopped them from invading and occupying Port Moresby in New Guinea which would have cut our supply lines to Australia and set up the invasion of that country), for the first time the Japanese were stopped.

Then just one month later, in the Battle of Midway, through the most remarkable combination of fantastic code breaking, incredible repair work, courageous self sacrifice, and a ton of blind dumb luck, we sank all 4 of their large carriers (The Akagi, Kaga, Soryu and Hiryu), all of which participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor (the Zuikaku and Shokaku were not there, the Zuikaku awaiting a replacement air crew and the Shokaku having been damaged a month earlier in the Battle of the Coral Sea). From that time until the end of the war, Japan was on the defensive.

Incredible repair work: The USS Yorktown had limped back to Pearl Harbor after being seriously damaged in the Battle of the Coral Sea. Estimates were it would take a couple of months to repair her. Code breakers had ingeniously confirmed that the imminent Japanese attack was targeting the island of Midway and the Yorktown was needed for the battle. Repair crews worked 24/7 and 3 days after she arrived in Pearl Harbor she was on her way to Midway with repair crews still working on board.

Courageous self sacrifice: 16 of 16 torpedo bombers from the USS Hornet's Torpedo 8 were lost in an attack that scored no hits but actually enabled the dive bombers to successfully press their attack unopposed by the Japanese fighter protection. The fighters were down at low altitude after destroying the torpedo bombers and couldn't stop the dive bombers. Of the 32 crew members in Torpedo 8, only one, Ensign George Gay, survived. He had a front row seat for the entire battle, floating in the water, hiding under a seat cushion so the enemy wouldn't spot him.

There are a number of good books about the battle, but one that pops into mind is Walter Lord's Incredible Victory. Incredible indeed!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 01:12 PM
Who needs history class?

We got Jack!! \:D
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 01:41 PM
LOL! When I was in school, I LOATHED history. I actually flunked a world history course my college freshman year. Like most young people, most of whom see themselves as the center of the universe, I felt anything that happened before I was born was irrelevant. As I've matured, I've subscribed to Edmund Burke's philosophy that "those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." I don't claim to be that knowledgeable about all history. But, for some reason, the World War II era, and the decade preceding it, captured my imagination. Go figure.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 01:55 PM
I felt anything that happened before I was born was irrelevant.

See how things change: for most young people nowadays, things that happened AFTER you were born are irrelevant history! \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 02:38 PM
As fascinated as I am by the WWII era, I tend to steer away from things that deal with the camps (concentration as opposed to POW). Being aware that human being are capable of such unspeakable cruelty just overloads my poor innocent brain. I have some wonderful film documentary series on WWII and the actual scenes of the camps are so disturbing and depressing that I often find it all too much to comprehend. \:\(

I hear you Jack, I feel the same way. Some of what's going on in other parts of the world these days make me question the human condition as well.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 05:26 PM
20 Years ago, I subscribed to the Time Life WWII book series and read every one cover to cover. I was a little older than draftee age at that time but still well within the age group that fought. The first one where I began to try and imagine how anyone could actually fight was the Battle of Tarawa. I tried to imagine wading through 500 yds of neck deep water weighted down with 100 lbs of equipment in the face of machnine gun, mortar and artillery fire. Can't really imagine it. I don't know if I could make my feet move, my knees bend - etc.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 06:02 PM
20 Years ago, I subscribed to the Time Life WWII book series and read every one cover to cover. I was a little older than draftee age at that time but still well within the age group that fought. The first one where I began to try and imagine how anyone could actually fight was the Battle of Tarawa. I tried to imagine wading through 500 yds of neck deep water weighted down with 100 lbs of equipment in the face of machnine gun, mortar and artillery fire.

Yes, a slight miscalculation of the tides at Tarawa had most of the vessels that were moving the men from the ships to the beach hanging up on the reef forcing the men to wade/swim all the way to the beach under withering fire from the island.

Can't really imagine it. I don't know if I could make my feet move, my knees bend - etc.

I was in combat only once (Vietnam). I can't really speak for you, but I suspect you would surprise yourself with what you could do. I know that in a matter of seconds. I had the following conversation with myself.

"HOLY ****!!!!!!! There are people out their trying to KILL ME. WTF! I'm a nice guy! I open doors for ladies! I squeeze the toothpaste from the end of the tube! Why me??? How come they want ME dead??? What can I do??? What can I POSSIBLY do to prevent them from KILLING ME???? First thing I gotta do is keep them out there, cuz if they get in here their odds of success increase dramatically. How do I keep them out there??? I'm guessing curling up in the fetal position and whimpering won't get it done. I GOT IT!!!!! I have to throw things at them..................LIKE BULLETS."

So, you sit there, wondering if your bowels are going to betray you, and you begin to do your job. You fall back on your training and just do it. You do it cuz that's the only thing that is going to save your little terrified white butt (assuming your butt was white and little to begin with, and is still white).

What I cannot fathom is doing that day in and day out for months, getting a few days/weeks off and then doing it again day after day for months, getting a few more days/weeks off and then doing it again...........to infinity. I don't know if I could stand the cumulative affect of that much terror and devastation. How the survivors of World War II stood it and didn't end up crazier than a loon is beyond me.

Posted By: JaimeG Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 07:11 PM
Interesting insight. I always wondered what really goes through a soldier's mind during battle. My grandfather fought in the Korean War, I’ve never got a chance to ask him this, I was too young when he died. Great post Jack.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 07:33 PM
I saw the Polish WWII movie Katyn recently and thought it was an excellent, if depressing, movie. It was nice watching something from a non-American perspective.

It focuses on an event called the Katyn Massacre, where the Russians killed upwards of 20,000 Polish prisoners of war, but blamed it on the Germans. They only admitted to being responsible for it in 1990.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 07:38 PM
Cool, it's on Netflix instant watch. thx

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 07:40 PM
So, I now associate Bren with WWII. Congratulations, Ajax. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 09:58 PM
There are many stories that are never 'officially' told in reg's to the wars that have been fought. One that struck me concerned the allied D-day invasion on Europe. Apparently there were a number of allied soldiers who committed suicide on the way across the English Channel, too much stress I guess....some simply jumped over the side of the boats in the middle of the channel.

It's always good to talk, make that LISTEN, to a vet and hear firsthand what went on. You'll hear all kinds of amazing stories both good and bad.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 10:04 PM
 Quote:
t's always good to talk, make that LISTEN, to a vet and hear firsthand what went on. You'll hear all kinds of amazing stories both good and bad.

I agree. Unfortunately -- or perhaps fortunately -- so many veterans refused to discuss what they witnessed or took part in after they came home.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 10:28 PM
My grandfather(rip) was an MP in London during the blitz and wanted to forget the war ever happened and wouldn't discuss it with anyone. My mother told me it completely changed his life.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/11/10 10:53 PM
I can see how it might. \:o
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 02:46 AM

I was in combat only once (Vietnam). I can't really speak for you, but I suspect you would surprise yourself with what you could do. I know that in a matter of seconds. I had the following conversation with myself.

"HOLY ****!!!!!!! There are people out their trying to KILL ME. WTF! I'm a nice guy! I open doors for ladies! I squeeze the toothpaste from the end of the tube! Why me??? How come they want ME dead??? What can I do??? What can I POSSIBLY do to prevent them from KILLING ME???? First thing I gotta do is keep them out there, cuz if they get in here their odds of success increase dramatically. How do I keep them out there??? I'm guessing curling up in the fetal position and whimpering won't get it done. I GOT IT!!!!! I have to throw things at them..................LIKE BULLETS."

So, you sit there, wondering if your bowels are going to betray you, and you begin to do your job. You fall back on your training and just do it. You do it cuz that's the only thing that is going to save your little terrified white butt (assuming your butt was white and little to begin with, and is still white).

What I cannot fathom is doing that day in and day out for months, getting a few days/weeks off and then doing it again day after day for months, getting a few more days/weeks off and then doing it again...........to infinity. I don't know if I could stand the cumulative affect of that much terror and devastation. How the survivors of World War II stood it and didn't end up crazier than a loon is beyond me.

Jack, thank you for sharing that insight. I have never been in combat, nor do I ever hope too. My dad was in the Vietnam War, but I have never really asked him much about it--not sure if he wants to revisit that part of his life?

Yeah, I often think how it incredibly difficult it must be to withstand constant fighting and tension day after day.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 02:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I saw the Polish WWII movie Katyn recently and thought it was an excellent, if depressing, movie. It was nice watching something from a non-American perspective.

It focuses on an event called the Katyn Massacre, where the Russians killed upwards of 20,000 Polish prisoners of war, but blamed it on the Germans. They only admitted to being responsible for it in 1990.

I thought I was the only person around here that really liked this movie, it's in our collection and is one of my favorite foreign films in our collection.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 02:53 AM
Jack ... I salute you Sir!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 02:56 AM

I thought I was the only person around here that really liked this movie, it's in our collection and is one of my favorite foreign films in our collection.

I thought it sounded familiar, Rick, I remember you talking about it now. Yup, just checked my Netflix queue and it's been added since I read your initial post.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 03:23 AM
That's good Sean, I surly hope that you like it as much as we did.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 03:37 AM
Oh, no worries, I'll probably love it! I enjoy foreign films AND WWII films. Can't miss! \:D
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 03:45 AM
Sean another foreign film that I thought was very good was Che ... parts one and two.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 04:30 AM
Jack ... I salute you Sir!

Honored, Rick.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 04:48 AM
Sean another foreign film that I thought was very good was Che ... parts one and two.

Thanks, Rick! Added that one, too. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 04:56 AM
Any list of WWII movies would be incomplete without The Great Dictator.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/12/10 05:54 PM
My first job back in the 80's was at a company that made sock knitting machines. There was a machine shop and that was my primary area. There was an older guy - in his 60's but his hair was still brown. Nobody talked to him much because he was "religious". I was a manager and most of my conversations with him were work related. I don't remember how we got on the topic (prolly cuz I was reading the books) but WWII came up. He looked at me matter-of-factly and said he had been in the 101st. Jumped pre D-day. I am sure my mouth was hanging open. I talked to him almost an hour that day as he spoke of his experience. One of the details that stands out clearly - almost 30 years later is how to shoot a Thompson Sub Machine Gun. If you are right handed, you aim just outside the left of the guy's knee/thigh and pull the trigger. As the recoil / muzzle blast causes the barrel to rise, it tends to skew to the right with a right handed shooter. That way the bullets stitch right up the torso. I never thought of Spence the same way again. Nobody knew - and had never bothered to talk to him.....
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/15/10 03:56 PM
In the category of "they don't make 'em like the used to..." here's a log book of a navigator that flew B-17 missions in 1944. Fascinating reading.

B-17F Flight Log (5 Sept 1943 - 21 Feb 1944)
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/15/10 05:27 PM
Wow! thanks for the link, Rick. It's always more interesting to hear firsthand accounts than 'official' versions of events, lot's of tragic stories in there and incredible insight into an airman's life during the 2nd WW.
Posted By: Murph Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/15/10 05:45 PM
I read 3/4 of it over lunch. A very interesting read from a very important perspective.

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: fredk Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/15/10 05:46 PM
+1 on that Rick. Fascinating read. A good friend's father was a tail and belly gunner on a Lancaster. He only talked about his experiences a few times when he was really, really drunk.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/15/10 05:52 PM
It certainly takes a close look of the day to day life they endured.

Way back years ago whenever I went through airframe & powerplant mechanics school we had a couple of instructors who were pilots and flew during WWII, one in particular was a B-17 pilot who was shot down over Germany and spent the last year and a half of the war as a POW. The story of how their fuel tanks got ruptured by flak over the bombing target and the last several minutes of trying to baby every drop of fuel back towards England until it completely ran out and then trying to glide every inch they could until they had to finally bail out was embedded in my mind while reading through this log wondering if any of the parachutes he described was of this particular man.

Fascinating indeed.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/15/10 05:55 PM
It's very possible they were mentioned in that log, though not specifically named.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/16/10 02:26 AM
In the category of "they don't make 'em like the used to..." here's a log book of a navigator that flew B-17 missions in 1944. Fascinating reading.

B-17F Flight Log (5 Sept 1943 - 21 Feb 1944)

Wow, what a fascinating read. Thank you for sharing that, Rick. I truly enjoyed it. I can't fathom going through the same thing that the men and women of the Armed Forces did at that time, but reading examples like this certainly helps me imagine it and see it through their eyes.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/16/10 04:45 AM
Jack, I watched "Sahara" and loved it! I kept thinking how miserably hot it must have been inside that tank. Ugh! Oh, enjoyed seeing Lloyd Bridges in the movie!

Rick, I've got "Katyn" next up in my queue.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/16/10 11:19 AM
Jack, I watched "Sahara" and loved it!

Wonderful!!!!!! So glad to hear it. \:\)

Read the B-17 log and loved THAT. WOW! How on earth did any of them make 25 missions alive. Astounding insight into their day to day life. Was stunned by the number of screw-ups (operational, tactical, individual, weather-related, enemy induced). Had me wondering how we ever won the war.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/16/10 05:47 PM
Well....this reminds me of a movie that I can't believe we haven't listed yet...12 O'Clock High with Gregory Peck. If I am not mistaken there was also a 60's TV series of the same name?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/17/10 12:35 PM
You are correct, we should have mentioned that one a lot sooner. Excellent movie. I don't believe I ever watched the TV show, but I remember it did exist.

SHOOT! I thought of another one the other day and now I can't recall it. AH, the joys of aging.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/18/10 02:22 AM
Not too historically accurate, but I always get a kick out of "The Dirty Dozen" and "Kelly's Heroes"
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/18/10 02:30 AM
Was stunned by the number of screw-ups (operational, tactical, individual, weather-related, enemy induced). Had me wondering how we ever won the war.

Thankfully, "they" made more mistakes than we did.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/18/10 10:45 AM
Not too historically accurate, but I always get a kick out of "The Dirty Dozen" and "Kelly's Heroes"

Speaking only for myself, historical accuracy isn't required. It's a movie and I just want to enjoy it. Loved both those flicks. \:\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/18/10 10:57 AM
Was stunned by the number of screw-ups (operational, tactical, individual, weather-related, enemy induced). Had me wondering how we ever won the war.

Thankfully, "they" made more mistakes than we did.

Amen! Regarding the European theater, without the man who started the war (Hitler), ironically we would have had a much more difficult time winning the war. He was responsible for more strategic gaffs than anyone else on their side (refusing to release his reserves immediately after the Normandy landings, as requested and recommended by his military commanders, because he was convinced they were a feint and the "real" landings were coming at Calais. Ordering his armies to stand their ground and fight to the last man resulting in their destruction or capture, rather than allowing them to strategically withdraw to fight another day, etc.).
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/18/10 11:39 AM
Thank goodness for Hitler's tactical blunders because Germany sure wasn't short of capable field officers, soldiers and great machinery at times during the war.

I found some short stories as told by actual American WWII POWs from German POW camps .... The POW Stories

Interesting reading in there.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/18/10 06:43 PM
Thank goodness for Hitler's tactical blunders because Germany sure wasn't short of capable field officers, soldiers and great machinery at times during the war.

Fighting on two fronts was either naive, arrogant or plain stoo-pid as well.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/19/10 12:27 AM

I found some short stories as told by actual American WWII POWs from German POW camps .... The POW Stories

Interesting reading in there.

If you read the book Band of Brothers, you will find several accounts where the GI's had great admiration for both the German Soldiers and the Civilian population as well....They thought the Dutch were great as well....and did not have much use for the French.....
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/19/10 12:29 AM

Fighting on two fronts was either naive, arrogant or plain stoo-pid as well.

When you look at his base premise that they were the "Master Race" and that they really believed it I would it was - at a minimum - all three....
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 01:12 AM
Just took another cruise through this thread before heading off the the video store.

See what I can find.

Bren R.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 03:12 AM
Dam Busters, Kelly's Heroes and Stalag 17 came home with me tonight.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 03:33 AM
I'll be eager to hear if you enjoy them. Hope so.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 07:02 AM
Jack, I watched "Dam Busters" last week and thoroughly enjoyed that one, as well. I could not believe the dog's name, though!

I read that Peter Jackson has been working on a remake of this film.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 12:42 PM
Sean, you're talking to some old dude who last saw the movie maybe 20 years ago. It's a miracle I remember the movie at all, let alone the dog's name. ;\)

Very happy (and relieved) to hear you enjoyed it.

Very interesting that a remake is being considered. Hope it comes to fruition.

Only 15 days until the Spielberg/Hanks/Goetzman sequel to Band Of Brothers, The Pacific, debuts on HBO (March 14). I'm traveling starting the 16th and probably won't be able to see many of the episodes. I want to avoid watching on the 14th and 15th and wait until the blu-ray version comes out so I can watch it all in sequence. Do ya think I'll be able to pull it off ?

WOW! Just came across this comment. I fear this will be a painful experience. But then, what war isn't?

As a Japanese extra on this production, I came into it after reading "the old breed" and it struck me just how close the brutality portrayed in the book actually came to being visualized in the series. There is very little the show actually leaves out some will find this disturbing.

This is not Band of Brothers, I am warning you; Do not watch this while eating your dinner or with your kids. This will challenge your thoughts about war and will take it a step further than the gentlemanly conflict between fellow Christian races portrayed so far. This is a pit bull fight to the death with two distinct cultures, races and values tearing themselves apart one scrap of flesh at a time.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 01:36 PM
I hadn't heard about "The Pacific"; thanks for the link Jack!

OK you guys, I'm finally committing to watching Band of Brothers before March 15th. I've only had the unopened Blu-Ray box for a year and a half!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 03:11 PM
Jack, there is NO way you are going to hold off until the Blu-ray set comes out!

You know, I think, in a way a lot of WWII has been romanticized in how it's been portrayed--our world's real battle between good and evil. The actual battle, though, is horrific and gruesome and tough and gritty. . .and any other adjective you can throw in.

Through reading about WWII, it always struck me that there was an extra sense of brutality in the Pacific Theater.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 03:12 PM
I hadn't heard about "The Pacific"; thanks for the link Jack!

OK you guys, I'm finally committing to watching Band of Brothers before March 15th. I've only had the unopened Blu-Ray box for a year and a half!

Mark!!

What?? You STILL haven't seen it??

Do it NOW!!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 04:06 PM
I talked to Joyce about the Pacific coming out in a couple of weeks, and we decided we would break the seal on Band of Brothers tonight! \:\)

I'll probably cry, because I'm not cold and heartless like Charles.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 04:11 PM
They should have included a box of tissues with the box set. Manly, camouflaged tissues, of course.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 06:39 PM
The Band of Brothers miniseries is by far my favorite set of DVDs in our collection and from watching the trailers it looks like The Pacific is going to be right there with them. Man 'o man what a nice collection these two sets of miniseries will be in Blu-Ray.

Looks like I'm with you Jack, since we don't have HBO or any premium movie channels I'll wait until the series makes it's way to Blu-Ray and then watch 'em ... if I live long enough.
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 07:10 PM
I'll probably cry, because I'm not cold and heartless like Charles.

I cry! I just save all of my tears for when Regina sings.
Posted By: fredk Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 08:34 PM
 Quote:
You know, I think, in a way a lot of WWII has been romanticized in how it's been portrayed--our world's real battle between good and evil. The actual battle, though, is horrific and gruesome and tough and gritty. . .and any other adjective you can throw in.

WWII was as close to that portrait as you will get. I did not think that Band of Brothers was romanticized at all. They did not dig into all the brutal details, but it was no Kelly's hero's.

My parents were young teens on the other side of the war, and the allies, particularly the Americans, were seen by most everyone, German civilians included as saviors. The US had a high level of moral conduct in that war as well, much higher than most armies in past European conflicts.

The problem with Vietnam and conflicts since then is that the 'good guys' are not much different than the 'bad guys'. The current Karzai government in Afghanistan comes to mind.

From what little I know of the Pacific conflict during WWII, it was much more brutal than what went on in Europe. It should be an interesting series.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 02/27/10 10:08 PM
The Band of Brothers miniseries is by far my favorite set of DVDs in our collection and from watching the trailers it looks like The Pacific is going to be right there with them. Man 'o man what a nice collection these two sets of miniseries will be in Blu-Ray.

I'm with you Rick. By far, my favorite set of DVDs and maybe even my favorite WWII video experience (tough call). It does look like The Pacific will be equally terrific. I know my expectations are high and that scares me a little. It's not that I've seen a lot of "the greatest miniseries in TV history" hype or anything. It's just that I loved and was so impressed by BOB; my interest in the Pacific theater has always been stronger than my interest in the European theater; and I've been hearing about The Pacific for so long that I fear my expectations are unrealistic. Time will tell.

Looks like I'm with you Jack, since we don't have HBO or any premium movie channels I'll wait until the series makes it's way to Blu-Ray and then watch 'em ... if I live long enough.

I suspect HBO will rerun the series before the DVDs are released and it will be interesting to see how quickly (slowly?) after the initial showing the series is rerun. Then it will be interesting to see how quickly (slowly?) the DVDs are released after the rerun. If the series is as revered as BOB, shoot, they could release the DVDs right away. Assuming The Pacific is anywhere near the level of BOB, I know, whether I see it on HBO or not, I'll be buying the blu-ray DVDs.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/01/10 07:55 PM
I read the book - and the opposite of Reading a book and then watching the movie turned out to be true. Usually, I am dissappointed in the movie after reading the book. This time I was dissappointed in the book after seeing the series. There was more detail in the series than in the book by a long shot. I don't know if it was detail from the research or interviews that fleshed out the series or if it was "poetic license"?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/02/10 12:25 AM
Rob, I agree with you on that. While I still enjoyed the book, I found the series that much more satisfying. The series just seemed to put everything together in a more cohesive fashion.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/02/10 12:31 AM
only 15 days until the Spielberg/Hanks/Goetzman sequel to Band Of Brothers, The Pacific, debuts on HBO (March 14). I'm traveling starting the 16th and probably won't be able to see many of the episodes. I want to avoid watching on the 14th and 15th and wait until the blu-ray version comes out so I can watch it all in sequence. Do ya think I'll be able to pull it off ?

I just got a thing in the mail from the WWII museum in New Orleans which says The Pacific:

Premieres March 14 at 9PM
Following Sundays at 9PM

I've been assuming that the episodes would be shown consecutive nights. If that means that the episodes will only be shown on Sundays, I won't miss any of them. WOO HOO!!!!!

Checked the HBO site and found that each new episode will premier on Sundays and be shown 4 more times before the following Sunday. First episode will be shown Sunday the 14th, Tuesday the 16th, Wednesday the 17th, Friday the 18th, and Saturday the 20th. Episode 2 will premier Sunday the 21st and be repeated the following Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Etc., etc. Very cool.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/02/10 12:44 AM
If I adjust my antenna enough do you suppose I'll pick up HBO? \:\(

Augh, if there was ever a time I needed cable it would be now!!

Okay, I just need patience. . . .
Posted By: fredk Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/02/10 12:46 AM
 Quote:
Checked the HBO site and found that each new episode will premier on Sundays and be shown 4 more times before the following Sunday.

Wow! Looks like they are expecting a huge audience, pretty reasonable given how well recieved BOB has been.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/02/10 12:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
 Quote:
Checked the HBO site and found that each new episode will premier on Sundays and be shown 4 more times before the following Sunday.

Wow! Looks like they are expecting a huge audience, pretty reasonable given how well recieved BOB has been.

Looks like I'll have to show up at Charter again with my boxes in tow, drop them on the counter and tell them I'm tired and going to sat. "Wait" unless you can give me a better deal? And then I'll sign up for movie channels again, can ya throw in uping my internet again?
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/02/10 12:58 PM
Alas, We have cable but do not subscribe to any of the Premium Channels - I'll be watching for Blu Ray - Gives me something to anticipate.
Posted By: Argon Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/04/10 12:52 PM
We have digital cable with Time Warner. In the higher number channels, there are a lot of features, shorts and previews and reruns of current shows. I don't pay much attention to them but my wife surfs through it from time to time. Last night, I happened to mention the Pacific Series. She said, I saw something about that on the 650 channels. So....off we went. There were several shorts including an 8 minute clip of the Airfield scene on one of the Pelileu episodes. I have never been in the military, much less combat but it is obvious that Spielberg/Hanks are striving for as much realism as possible. It was chaotically brutal.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/04/10 11:03 PM
HBO is showing Making The Pacific all this week.

The making of the World War II miniseries.
Sun 3/7 7:20-7:45pm HBO
Mon 3/8 9:30-10:00am HBO
Thu 3/11 10:00-10:30am HBO
Thu 3/11 10:30-11:00pm HBO
Sun 3/14 8:30-9:00am HBO2
Sun 3/14 1:00-1:30pm HBO

If you don't have HBO, or if you can't wait, the 20 minute documentary can be watched on YouTube

I had a little trouble with the video freezing on YouTube. If you have the same problem, you can watch it here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/04/10 11:08 PM
My whole browser freezes up when I try to watch the video. Stupid Flash.

EDIT:
Here's a direct link to the .mp4 version of the 720p video, for those who want it on their local computer. (I'm not sure how long this link will work.)
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/16/10 04:50 AM
The Pacific Blu-ray Release in Time for Father's Day (Blu-ray.com)

I'm glad they're not going to make us wait.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/16/10 10:11 AM
WOO HOO! Thanks for the info. Wasn't blown away (no pun intended) by the first episode. Probably excessively high expectations. Wasn't blown away by the first episode of BOB either. However, I certainly enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/16/10 08:33 PM
WOO HOO is right Jack ... excellent news!
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/17/10 06:29 PM
Awww, retraction:

The Pacific Blu-ray Not as Soon as Expected (Blu-ray.com)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/17/10 10:04 PM

Of course, the "second half of the year" starts July 1, only 11 days after the previously mentioned Father's day release.
However, December 31st is also in the "second half of the year."
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 01:10 AM
Augh, that blows! I don't have cable and will have to wait for the discs. Whenever they come out. \:\(
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 01:28 AM
I don't have cable either, but ve hev veys off... persuadink ze... how you call? TV shows? Da. Ve hev veys off gettink around soch leemeetayshons.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 02:02 AM
It's amazing how many wars have been fought in an ocean named after "peace" when you think about it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 03:40 AM
I blame the volcanoes that surround it.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 03:48 PM
I don't have cable either, but ve hev veys off... persuadink ze... how you call? TV shows? Da. Ve hev veys off gettink around soch leemeetayshons.

Ees dot you, Boris?

Posted By: Adrian Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 04:17 PM
Lol, I think Natasha would have more persuasive power than Boris though.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 11:12 PM
I was told that DirecTV is showing 'The Pacific' on channel 101 in HD with multiple showings all week.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/18/10 11:17 PM
Thanks for the tip, Rick!
Posted By: RickF Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 03/19/10 01:14 PM
Any time Tom!

While looking around on Blu-Ray.com I came across this new pre-order that looks interesting .... The Sun
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 08:22 AM
Where in the world am I... part 2.

Winter's back and I've found myself doing more movie watching again, avoiding the freezing temps... back to knock some more war movies off the list here.

Everyone's been good?

Bren R.
Posted By: CV Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 08:28 AM
Everyone's been good?

Sure, but you were supposed to take my place at the Axiom 30th anniversary celebration, so people are raw over that. Watch out!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 08:51 AM
Well, I missed the 30th on your behalf, but I'll mark my calendar for the 40th. grin

Bren R.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 10:07 AM
Welcome back Bren. I trust you absence was for a good cause?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 02:26 PM
Bren only comes back to us when the weather turns all snuggly.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 02:33 PM
WELL! There's a ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak and snowy December. Good to know you're still alive. smile
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 03:13 PM
Glad to see your back, Bren. Since you've been gone my grammer has suffered emmensely.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 03:18 PM
Wow, Peter, that's to bad.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 03:34 PM
Bren, welcome back!

You should know that no one here is good at being good.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 04:41 PM
Welcome back, brother.

The Axiom 30th thing was a blast - you should check out the thread and pics in the "What's New at Axiom" forum. Missed you.

I got a new car. Ken's got a new kid. JP's back in Virginia. Mark's got a new dog. BobKay is amusing me every day. The VP180 seems to be a smashing success.

You?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 04:54 PM
Jake: Unfortunately, just life getting in the way. Still keeping busy. Down to shooting twice a week from 4-5 times a week. Didn't coach ball this year, but took up rock climbing and bouldering (indoor), on the Board at the range, plus the being a bachelor thing - lots of extra work wearing the bowler and the bonnet.

Sean: I think I catch up on EVERYTHING when the weather turns snuggly. Just be glad I'm not living closer.

Jack: I've never once before been referred to as a ray of sunshine. Does this mean Ray is a bren of sunshine?

Peter: Sorry too here a bout yore grammer suffering, I hope she gets better. grin

Ken: If you can't be good, be careful. Or, if you can't be good, be good AT it.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 05:02 PM
Jack: I've never once before been referred to as a ray of sunshine. Does this mean Ray is a bren of sunshine?

More like a bren gun of sunshine. I assumed you might find the "ray of sunshine" thing a bit foreign. Coming up with a term that would be incongruous was half the fun of it. grin
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 05:14 PM
More like a bren gun of sunshine.

I still want to find a BREN gun deactivated for less than $10,000 as a decoration.

Bren R.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 06:03 PM
Had to look that one up.

Here's some info on this lovely lass: Veronica (Ronnie), the Bren Gun Girl.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 06:05 PM
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that gun ummm......excited about something??? blush

(somebody tell Mary to stay outa this thread)
Posted By: medic8r Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 06:13 PM
Well, Veronica is already on to the cigarettes ...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/10/10 06:20 PM
That's my kind of girl... too bad she was from Toronto. grin

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/11/10 03:02 AM
Bren, welcome back! Yeah, if you're only shooting twice a week now you must be busy, but c'mon, take a little time out once in a while to do battle with the forces of audio evil.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where in the world is Bren? - 12/13/10 08:38 AM
Bren, welcome back! Yeah, if you're only shooting twice a week now you must be busy, but c'mon, take a little time out once in a while to do battle with the forces of audio evil.
Well, the range IS only open two times a week... though we're talking about opening up a third night of the week. The suggestion came up at the last meeting, and it was suggested they were sure the new ISSF Match Coordinator would open up on that night, took me a second to realize I'M the new ISSF Match Coordinator. grin

Keeping busy, anyway... spent most of tonight reloading 16 ga. shells. Buying reloading components in December is like getting a bike for Christmas, can't REALLY play with them for 5 months!

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards