Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 08:21 PM
I went back to my old 2 blade Gillette from the 4 or 5 blade versions I think which is called the fusion (I've lost count now). Honestly, it gives me the exact quality of shave than the more expensive newer models and actually does a better job above the lip and under the nose because the blade is not as wide. No, it does not have the trimmer attachement on the blade but those don't work that well anyways. I get less frequent skin irritation from the two blade version and are cheaper to replace and last just as long. Even buying in bulk from costco the Fusion blades are still expensive.

Rant over.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 08:44 PM
I think I'm using a 4 or 5 blade razor right now, but I can make each cartridge last at least a month, easily. I always meticulously dry the blade when I'm done with it so rust doesn't pit the blade. Also, after a month or so when a blade cartridge is starting to feel like it's dragging on my skin, I can get another week out of it by using my forearm as a leather strap. I place the blades onto my skin near the underside of my wrist and push it up toward my elbow with moderate pressure -- with he blades pointing backward of course. This seems to knock any jagged edges down.
Yeah, I wonder if in ten years, 8-bladed designs are what they tell us we need to have!

I'm using a two, but I'm out of refills and the handle is getting a bit old. I'll be looking for a new system and I wasn't even sure I'd find a lowly two-blade.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 08:56 PM
Why shave?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 09:45 PM
I was on travel for work a few weeks ago and realized I had forgot my 3 blade razors at home. Bought a pack of 2 blade razors (5 per pack) for $1 from the dollar tree. I have much less razor burn around my neck area now... Now quite as close of a shave but much less irritating to the skin. I think I'll stick with 2 blade razors for now
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 10:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Why shave?

In my case it’s only because work says so.

I will never scrape a razor across my face ever again, electric is the only way to go. Rotary at that since I find they work better when you often go a few days w/o shaving like every day off though they don‘t shave quite as close a foil ones.
Posted By: Adrian Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 10:14 PM
I've never tried an electric razor before, always used two blade throw-aways.
I can't use an electric with a beard & mustache... can't get close to the edge without it yanking hair out.

Shaving sucks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 10:36 PM
I'm perfectly happy using Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 10:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

I'm happy with my "two-handed great sword"
Posted By: SRoode Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 10:54 PM
To be honest, I like the 2-blade razors the best (Gilette Sensor - My road blade. I'll never give it up). I think I get a better shave, less irritation, and it can get into the hard to reach spots like under the nostrils easier. I know the 4 blade razors have the opposing blade for that, but for me it's not as good.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/25/10 11:43 PM

Ditto
Posted By: FireGuy Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 12:16 AM
I'm going back to the beer thread.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 12:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I will never scrape a razor across my face ever again, electric is the only way to go. Rotary at that since I find they work better when you often go a few days w/o shaving like every day off though they don‘t shave quite as close a foil ones.

I can't scrape a blade across my skin. I'm a sensitive fellow. ;\)

I find the foil shavers are almost as close as a blade shave and for me, much less painful.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 12:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: R DeVries
I'm going back to the beer thread.

... and with an electric shaver it doesn't matter how many beers I've had...
Posted By: JohnK Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 01:43 AM
Yeah, I've never used anything other than a foil shaver. Those who complain that it can't shave a 2-3 day growth well should use the technique of running the trimmer over the longer growth to get the whiskers down to the size where they can fit through the tiny holes in the foil head. Then use the foil shaver to get a very close shave.
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 02:05 AM
Excellent timing. My electric razor will not hold a charge anymore and using it with the cord is cumbersome. I wasn't even going to replace it actually as I have never owned an electric shaver that shaved even remotely as good as a blade. I am however intrigued that the foil users above seem very satisfied. The only foil version I ever used was a borrowed one of my Dads one Christmas. Perhaps it simply suffered from a bad foil from the factory but at only a week old, it seemed to randomly pluck out a hair every 10 seconds or so. Just painful enough to be Extremely annoying.

In any case, if foil is actually the answer, mind if I ask you recommended make & model?

edit, for the record I am happy with my Fusion but not with the price of blades. It does absolutely nothing for me to justify the cost but the handle was a gift from a proud wife so I just stock up when I seea good sale.
Posted By: JohnK Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 02:39 AM
Andrew, I'd suggest the Braun shavers in general, and this is the one that I use and can recommend.
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 02:41 AM
Thanks John, very reasonably priced too.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 03:05 AM
I would recommend the Braun as well. When my last Braun died, I tried a Remmington (it was cheaper). It works as well, but the cap that holds the foil seems to pop off at the most inconvenient times. The long hair trimmer on the Braun also worked better.

I also went to a model that can only be run from the battery, not the power chord. The battery also seems to die at the most inconvenient time, like when I'm late for work and half way through a shave...
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 07:01 AM
Braun is probably the best foil razor maker. I started out using foil razors but It’s gotten to the point that they won’t even work effectively on one days growth anymore so I switched to a rotary and would never go back. No point in “shaving” twice which IMO is what having to run the trimmer over my face first amounts to. For two or more days which usually means the weekends I just run my hair trimmer over my face w/o any guides to knock it down to the level the razor can handle and since I cut my hair once a week for work anyway it just all sort of falls together.

As a side note running the hair trimmer with a #2 guide over my head for the last 20 years has saved me so much money in haircuts and time wasted driving to a barber and waiting. I might just let my hair grow long again when I get out but from what I remember washing and taking care of it was even more of a pain in the ass than just shaving it once and a while. Plus there’s that sucky, IMO, intermediate stage where it’s getting long but not long enough to tie back in a ponytail.
Posted By: CV Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 07:15 AM
I wish my version of shaving consisted of decapitation followed by the growing of a brand new head every night, but unfortunately I have to be boring and shave with an electric as part of my morning routine. I'll keep dreaming of my own home guillotine.
Posted By: jakewash Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 09:27 AM
I went from a Phillips razor to a Braun and I would never go back, The Braun works much better for my beard growth, the hairs just never caught the heads on the Phillips for some reason.

I can remember reading in a magazine of a test they did between all the different bladed razors and the twin blades came out on top. They said it is due to the higher PSI the 2 blades exert over the 3 or 4 bladed versions they tried, the skin is stretched out more with the twin blades allowing for a closer shave.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 04:10 PM
Another very satisfied Braun foil shaver user here. Tried many other electrics (including cheaper Brauns) over time until getting my current model a few years ago. It is similar to what they are now calling the Series 3.
Posted By: medic8r Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 05:14 PM
I'm in with Ken and Wheelz. I use a Mach 3. I have not tried the 4 or 5 blade sets. Sometimes if I am running late, I use my Norelco Speed-XL.

The best shaving-related thing I ever did was step into an Art of Shaving store in the Aventura Mall when I was in the Miami area for a continuing education conference. My shaving experience was transformed. A little bit of education can go a long way towards a better shave. And, as we've noted, this is something that a lot of us have to do every day for the rest of our lives, so the payoff can be huge. For me, the main lessons were:

* always use fresh/sharp blades - as Peter said, you don't want to have the blades pull on your skin; you want them to glide over easily.

* learn the direction of growth of your whiskers.

* shave with the grain. Relather with cream and then shave against the grain for an extra-smooth shave.

* if your face is not wet enough at the start, use a pre-shave oil to achieve proper moisture. Or just use it anyway for best results.

* glycerin chave cream is the best. That $22 tub lasts me over a year and provides the smoothest shave I have ever had.

Using my Mach3, a badger hair brush, and glycerin shaving cream, I get a shave that no electric can touch. I have fast growing whiskers, and there's days where I still look and feel fresh-shaven at 5 pm. Bye bye 5 o'clock shadow!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 07:44 PM
I can shave a lot faster with a razor than an electric. Once over and I'm done.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 09:25 PM
Bet that doesn't survive the against-the-grain test, though. :P
Posted By: bluray Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/26/10 10:55 PM
A few months ago, I went old school and bought a German double edge safety razor and badger brush along with English shaving cream and English after shave balm. I loved the process and the results. I will say that this traditional wet shaving method takes a LOT longer, at least for me (soaking the brush in hot water, building up the bowl of lather, multiple passes/relathering, etc.). I can't really do it in less than 20-25 minutes, so after a few weeks, I returned to my Mach 5. Long term, I expect I'll do it the old school way. Such an enjoyable experience. Just need more time in the day!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/27/10 12:13 AM
My brother-in-law used to treat himself, about once a month, to a straight razor shave at the local barbershop. I never tried it. he said he not only enjoyed the old-timey aspect to it, but also the quality of the shave.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/27/10 01:17 AM
It seems so transitory.
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/27/10 06:33 PM
I can shave a lot faster with a razor than an electric. Once over and I'm done.

I do other things while I’m using my electric razor so for me it saves time.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 12:23 AM
I'm surprised no one has asked the obvious question about multi blade razors.

If the first blade cuts the whisker, what are blades #2, 3 and 4 doing after the fact?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 12:47 AM
They are there for the ninjas.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 01:39 AM
I used Gillette Sensor two blade forever, probably 6 - 8 years. Then switched to Schick Quattro, not even sure why. Tried the titanium blades next, they were fantastic. It didn't even feel like shaving. My wife then somehow managed to throw away my razor (huh?) so I tried the Fusion. Hate it. It pulls on my beard if it's more than two days old and kills me. I am on the last blade now with a new Schick Hydro waiting in the wings. They make that in both a 3 and 5 blade version, I'll probably try both out.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 02:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
I'm surprised no one has asked the obvious question about multi blade razors.

If the first blade cuts the whisker, what are blades #2, 3 and 4 doing after the fact?

Providing additional profit to the manufacturer.
Posted By: bridgman Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 02:36 AM
The theory, backed up by no end of animations but zero actual film footage AFAIK, is that the first blade pulls the hair out a bit then the second blade snips it a bit lower than it would otherwise have been able to reach.

Blades 3 through N have never been explained to my knowledge.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 04:44 AM
Interesting thread. I've tried electrics ... they don't leave me with as clean a feeling as blades. The shave is not nearly as close, smooth or comfortable.

I have used Gillette razors for years, then Schick starting giving away Quatros. (with coupon 2 razors and blades for practically nothing.) I was shocked. The Schick has a heftier chassis, handles better, and with the Titanium blades gave the smoothest, closest and easiest shave I've ever had.

Converted, I picked up a Schick Hydro 5. It's a step backward. Not as good as the Schick Titanium 4 blade. As to what blades 2+ do, one pass with a single blade doesn't come close to doing it for me. Even with the 4 or 5 blade razor, I first shave down, and then up. It's only after the second pass in the opposite direction that I get a really close shave. I'd say blades 2+ are working.

Barbassol original shaving cream. 99 cents. Best stuff out there.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 05:20 AM
Hmm, I wonder if the Quattro titanium blades will fit the Hydro chassis.... Although I doubt it. I haven't tried the Hydro blades yet, but the Quattro titanium was great.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 05:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
The theory, backed up by no end of animations but zero actual film footage AFAIK, is that the first blade pulls the hair out a bit then the second blade snips it a bit lower than it would otherwise have been able to reach.

I wonder who what they used as a shaving dummy to test all this out?
Posted By: bridgman Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 03:59 PM
 Quote:
I wonder who what they used as a shaving dummy to test all this out?

Ever notice how the rise in shaving demonstrations on TV happened about the same time that yeti/bigfoot/sasquatch sightings dropped off ?

Coincidence ? I think not.
Posted By: jakewash Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 05/28/10 04:09 PM
\:D
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/05/10 09:35 PM
After reading this thread I went on a quest, of sorts, to find an enjoyable method of shaving. First off, I HATED shaving, and would either grow a beard or just shave once or twice a week. It always seemed to irritate my skin to a point of soreness no matter the razor I tried.

I searched around and finally found what I think is a very enjoyable experience when it comes to shaving. I started out with a cheap boars brush and some VDH shaving soap, bought from Walmart. I kept using the 5 blade contraption I had with the brush and soap. That alone was a much better experience so I took it a bit farther and got to looking at traditional double edge razors.

This lead me to purchasing an Edwin Jagger D89 and an Edin Jagger Best Badger Brush along with some Proraso Shave Cream. When it come to blades after trying several different brands I settled on the Red Pack Personna blades.

I can honestly say not only do I enjoy shaving now; I actually look forward to it every day.
Wow, Rick. It seems complex.

Are there English Tube Amps involved? grin
Posted By: merchman Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/05/10 10:26 PM
That's great Wid. Glad to hear it is working out for you!

Are you getting as close a shave?
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/05/10 10:32 PM

It is a bit involved but enjoyable. I do get a very close shave with only two passes.

No tube amps needed smile
I'm considering taking the first step of this journey you just made.

I've changed my beard to a goatee a couple of weeks ago and am getting used to feeling smooth cheeks. re where I could go several days without shaving before, now I have to stay on top of it.

I tried JPs suggestion to shave twice...once with and then once against the grain. I'm surprised it's not irritating me, though my neck still gets bothered sometimes.
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/05/10 10:55 PM
I also go one with the grain and once against. Using the DE razor you end up with a very smooth shave. Oh I forgot to mention, I do use a shave balm after rinsing with cold water.

It's a great way to shave. My nephew has started doing the same and says he can't believe how much better his shaves are.
Posted By: SRoode Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/05/10 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I've changed my beard to a goatee a couple of weeks ago and am getting used to feeling smooth cheeks.

And for my 1000th post, I quote you this! No comeback required.

Thank you, thank you... I'm here all week, please tip your waitress.

Seriously, it's been a great 1000 posts, and I enjoy Mark immensely, his square room, and all of the rest of you nuts!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/05/10 11:08 PM
Congratulations Mr. Roode ... I suppose your commemorative 1000th post is something like dragging cold sharp steel across warm flesh while you're still mostly asleep. It's amazing we're all still here.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/06/10 02:20 AM
I don't even know what that means.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/06/10 11:57 AM
I've always shaved with, then against the grain. I also find it helps to hold a hot face cloth on the area I'm going to share. I do one cheek, then the other, followed by my neck. The hot cloth is supposed to open the pores or something; i notice a difference and get a better share.
Does anyone still make those shaving cream heaters/dispensers that were somewhat popular a while ago?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/06/10 01:55 PM
I put the stuff on ma face, then zip zop, ripped ma face to shreds!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/06/10 02:08 PM
The Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
Posted By: medic8r Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/06/10 04:28 PM
I put the stuff on ma face, then zip zop, ripped ma face to shreds!

I remember listening to that bit on my Dad's Bill Cosby records from the 60s. "Now let's go get us some women!"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/06/10 04:39 PM
Get that STUFF outcher hair!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 02:28 PM
I have solved my shaving woes. I have been shaving during the middle of a hot shower for the past month or so and have been getting the best (closest) shaves of my life with no irritation.

I shave the face after I have been in there for a few minutes and after at least I have washed my face with soap and hot water. At this point the skin is nicely lubricated from all that hot water and steam.

What I have experienced is the advantages of shaving cream are less when the blades are new with the hot shower technique. You can pretty much shave without because the skin is so nicely lubricated from all that steam and water.

This method has been giving me the most consistent shaves I have ever had and it does not take any longer than the previous method I was using.
I'll have to buy one of those steam-free mirrors and try it!
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 03:15 PM

I always shave after a shower and use a pre shave cream. Now my son is using a double edge razor. He tells me it is the first time in his life he's not getting razor burn and irritation.
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 03:28 PM
Shaving still sucks IMO no mater how you do it. I can’t wait until I get to look like more like my avatar. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 04:41 PM
I'll bet you already have the headgear. wink
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 05:27 PM
Shaving still sucks IMO no mater how you do it.

Well, sheeyoot!

Posted By: CatBrat Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 07:49 PM
I just keep a short growth and trim it once a week. No shaving necessary, except a little around the edges.
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
I'll bet you already have the headgear. wink

Since I was a little kid. cool
Posted By: BobKay Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 08:50 PM
I can’t wait until I get to look like more like my avatar. smile

Saw clips of new film he's in. HE wishes he looked like your Avatar!
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/25/10 08:52 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
I can’t wait until I get to look like more like my avatar. smile

Saw clips of new film he's in. HE wishes he looked like your Avatar!

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: sonicfox Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 03:53 PM
For my legs, I use men's razors...both the Mach 3 and Fusion. I prefer the Fusion because I get less irritation, but I'm not convinced I get a better shave. I want to try the Fusion Proglide. Also, I don't like shaving creams...Dove soap works best for me. Of course, these are legs I'm talking about, not a face!
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 04:42 PM
[Quote]:Sonicfox: Of course, these are legs I'm talking about,[Quote]

This thread is useless without pictures! grin
Posted By: CV Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 04:47 PM
My friend was trying to show me her hairy legs yesterday, but her tan was making the hair hard to spot.
Posted By: Adrian Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 04:49 PM
You needed to find a tanless area, I guess.
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
[Quote]:Sonicfox: Of course, these are legs I'm talking about,[Quote]

This thread is useless without pictures! grin

“Thread” or post? Cause you might get what you asked for. wink
Posted By: sonicfox Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
My friend was trying to show me her hairy legs yesterday, but her tan was making the hair hard to spot.

It wouldn't matter HOW tan my legs were, you'd see the hair! I'm quite the ape woman! blush

My glow-in-the-dark legs for ya. I'm sorry I can't explain the placement of my hands. This picture is more appropriate for the shirt thread, I suppose! grin
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 07:56 PM
I applaud you for being brave enough to call my bluff on a picture. I was just kidding after all.

Seriously though, is that a finish line you are crossing? Marathon maybe? Good work either way. I never had the mental ability to run if I wasn't chasing a ball, chasing a person with a ball, or running like hell cause I had the ball.

Once in a friendly Rugby match against the visiting British Navy's elite traveling rugby team, I was even given the ball from the guy I was about to tackle, picked up by his team mate, and run to their end on his shoulder where he set me down to score a try against them. I think it was the only one we scored the whole game.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/26/10 09:01 PM
Murph, it's the Bix 7 here in Davenport, IA. It's a tough 7 mile course, and I believe that was near the end when I was coasting downhill...which MIGHT explain the position of my hands! HAHA!

So, let me get this straight...instead of stealing the ball from you, he just scooped you up with it? That's a great story! laugh
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 03:30 PM
Nice!

For the Rugby story, that's pretty much it, except it started with him with the ball and I was about to tackle (err, try to tackle him) him. Instead, he just gave the ball to me, scooped me up, and ran me into his own end to let me score against them. Nice guy eh? I was was never a big guy but I was more muscle weight back then than now. Probaly 190 lbs. and he scooped me up like I was a baby lamb...... LOL!

They were indeed great guys and they only thing they did better than play Rugby was drink. First time ever our clubhouse ran out of everything.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: sonicfox
I'm quite the ape woman! blush

Sorry, couldn't resist. :smacks hand: :hand smacks back: Ow!

Posted By: CV Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 04:56 PM
Been there, done that.
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Been there, done that.

Where’s Mark when you need him?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 05:23 PM
I think Mark found his job again.
Posted By: grunt Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 06:47 PM
Well that sucks for him and us.
Quote:
I think Mark found his job again

Nope. Home improvement around the house and a bit of golf!
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/27/10 11:39 PM
Ooooo! Warming up for September?
I don't know if the way I played today is "warming up" for anything!!!
Posted By: CV Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/28/10 03:58 AM
Mark, I hope home improvement never changes the squareness of your room. We would all die inside.
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/28/10 12:57 PM
I finally got out golfing last weekend. I haven't been out all year (not that Im a big golfer) so I splurged and went to Crowbush.

It's a a beautiful but very unforgiving golf course. Especially when my slice sends my ball out into the Ocean on many holes.

I just played a little 9-hole local course. Joyce hasn't played in several years, but wanted to give it another try. Not much of a test, which was good....I failed anyway! smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/29/10 12:37 AM
You flailed?
Posted By: RickF Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/29/10 01:08 AM
Every time I play golf I fail with the game but excel with the alcohol part, which is good because that's what keeps me coming back for more.

That looks like a nice course Murph.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/29/10 01:54 AM
That looks like a really nice course Murph. I don't think I would care how my golf was. I would be too busy enjoying the scenery.
I don't shave...yet.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/29/10 03:30 PM
Wrong thread, hairless one. Oh, wait.
Posted By: medic8r Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 07/29/10 05:51 PM
Dan's magic is in re-railing threads.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/01/10 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I went back to my old 2 blade Gillette from the 4 or 5 blade versions I think which is called the fusion (I've lost count now). Honestly, it gives me the exact quality of shave than the more expensive newer models and actually does a better job above the lip and under the nose because the blade is not as wide. No, it does not have the trimmer attachement on the blade but those don't work that well anyways. I get less frequent skin irritation from the two blade version and are cheaper to replace and last just as long. Even buying in bulk from costco the Fusion blades are still expensive.

I just did the same thing. Went back to the 3-blade Mach3, from the 5-blade fusion after I found I was out of cartridges, but discovered two unused ones left over from the older razor. That was a wake-up, and not in the same way as you found. The Mach3 provided a horrible shave, and I remembered why I stayed with the Fusion.

So I figured I should get a refill for the 5-blade system. When I went looking on Amazon I found there was an even newer Fusion Proglide (Manual, I absolutely will not buy the "Power" vibrating razor). Which still works on the normal Fusion handle (but I got a new one anyway). One thing I noticed about the original Fusion is that is pulls itself into your face as you shave. That never bothered me, it was just different, but when the blade dull they get really grabby.

The new Fusion Proglide doesn't pull at all, it's just smooth, and clears two days worth of growth in one pass (still make repeated strokes out of habit, but I'm trying to unlearn that). I can still the first cartridge is starting to dull, but it is still passable, unlike the old models which went from good to bad in one shave, and unusable in the next.

I don't have a lot of experience with different blade systems. Going from Bic disposables from when I first started shaving to the Mach3 when I went away to collage, to the Fusion a few years ago. Also used Remington electrics on and off during that whole time. But I can say the Fusion Proglide really does provide the best shave I've ever had (even tops the electric).
I just bought the Proglide system, because I found a sample pack of the Fusion I had was giving me a great shave...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/01/10 08:35 PM
I am not bringing a razor to Canada. smile
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/01/10 08:57 PM

My newest razor was made right around 1900 by Waterville Cutlery. I had it restored with a new set of custom scales.

It takes a bit longer but the shave is fantastic.
The esoteric tube amp of shaves....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/01/10 09:02 PM
Echos of Sweeny Todd.
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/01/10 09:05 PM

Here's another, bought it NOS. Dates from before 1929. Made in Germany for Covalt and Smith out of Pittsburgh PA.

Posted By: merchman Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/01/10 09:52 PM
Rick, those are some beautiful blades you have there. smile
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 01:20 PM
OK. Here is one of life's great questions. It's surprising how varied the answers can be.

Assuming you are using a razor and you shave every day, how many shaves do you get before you feel compelled to replace it with a new one? Of course you have to mention again what type you are using so we can compare.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 01:48 PM
Doesn't matter if I shave once a day, or once a week, I seem to replace the cartridge after about 6 to 8 shaves. I like a really sharp blade. I pushed this new Fusion Proglide to 9, but didn't like the last shave so much, but it did better than the previous Fusion model where I was usually getting about 5.1 out of it (really, I'd start into the 6th shave and dump the blade for a fresh one).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 02:34 PM
Uh... a couple of months? With a Mach 3.

I saw the title this morning and thought "But do more blades mean better virtualization?"
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 02:42 PM
See this is where it gets interesting. Others have told me they replace their blades as far out as the beginning of every month and still notice very little degradation in sharpness.

I had a friend who married a fellow who worked at Gillette in Boston. I asked him what the average life of a razor (would have been the 2 bladers at that time) was supposed to be and he skirted well around the question and would not give any indication whatsoever.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 02:46 PM
Maybe I happen to have golden skin. smile
Posted By: BobKay Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 02:53 PM
[quote=ClubNeon the previous Fusion model where I was usually getting about 5.1 out of it [/quote]

Running Audyssey in the bathroom must be a bear!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 04:41 PM
Rust dulls the blades much faster than regular use, actually. If you take care to clean and dry the cartridges after each shave, you'll find they last much longer. I can make a single cartridge last a really long time. I don't shave more than twice a week, though.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/03/10 04:55 PM
I don't dry mine with anything in particular, just shake off the water from the last rinse. The Fusions come with a holder for the handle with mounted cartridge, and a nice feature of a space to hold up to four spares underneath; it has a drain hole too. I place it there after use.
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 02:24 AM

For drying, a dip in some isopropyl alcohol will aid in drying the blade and extend its life.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 02:37 AM
Quote:
I don't shave more than twice a week, though.

And there's the rub. I never got more than two shaves out of a blade. With my electric, its several years.
Posted By: Adrian Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 02:39 AM
Two shaves out of one blade? you got cactus thorns growin' out your chin bwaaah?
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 02:43 AM
That and very sensitive skin. It felt like I was ripping off my face after the second shave.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 02:56 AM
Which electric do you like?
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 03:16 AM
Braun. I'm using a Remmington right now. The shave is fine, but the long hair trimmer is useless and the foil assembly does not always stay on properly. Reminds me of my first and last Chrysler. They got the big stuff right, but mucked up the details.
Posted By: jakewash Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/04/10 09:37 PM
I use a Braun as and get about a year(usually a little less) out of the foil assembly with daily shaving. I had a Phillips for many years and like the Braun much better.
Posted By: CV Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 05:12 AM
Should I get one?

Yes, for shaving.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 05:16 AM
I find it amusing that the reproduction is undoubtedly of higher quality than the original prop. Although that higher quality may be... not all that high.
Posted By: jakewash Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 03:12 PM
You should get one CV, then you could practice for that great sword fight with the man in black smile
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 03:20 PM
He practiced to fight Count Rugan. The Man in Black just happened to be a worthy opponent.
Posted By: jakewash Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 03:24 PM
CV has already been practicing?
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 03:54 PM
Hey Charles, I have a beat up Tachi I bought at a yardsale for a few bucks when we had a guest instructor teaching us Iaido for a few weeks. It was too long for the purpose as it's actually a Japanese cavalry sword but I couldn't resist it. However, I can take it to the gathering and we could still manage a duel to the death for one of your EP800s.
Posted By: CV Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/08/10 04:47 PM
Get used to disappointment.
Posted By: Murph Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/09/10 12:21 PM
There can be only one!!!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/27/10 03:43 PM
In Romania the Mach3 is still advertised heavily on TV (although general European channels have ads for the Fusion White, which has a cooling compound in the rubber ridges below the blades). In the ads for the Mach3 they explicitly spell out that one cartridge lasts 30 days.
I was blessed with a baby face. What's shaving?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/27/10 05:35 PM
shaving: the cutting of hair by passing a sharp blade (or series of sharp blades) across the skin at a shallow angle. The resulting smoothness is found to be aesthetically and tactilely pleasing.
Posted By: Zarak Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/28/10 11:40 PM
Good definition....did you make that up or get it from a dictionary of some sort?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 02:35 AM
Right off the top of my head. smile

No, I'm not bald.
I just noticed this thread and haven't read it all but I'll toss in my $0.02

I started out using Mach 3's and eventually went the way of electric foil shavers. Over the years, I've tried many but mostly Braun and Panasonics.

Braun makes the best self cleaning shavers on the market. PERIOD. However, they have a fatal flaw. You can not clean them yourself since NONE of them are waterproof.

I've had 2 Panasonic cleaning units and neither worked to my satisfaction. However, Panasonic's upper middle models are some of the best electric shavers I've used. The model I use (twice a week these days laugh ) is an ARC4+ and I generally like it. It charges fast, runs smooth and quiet and seems to generally do a good job.

I actually like an older 3 foil Panasonic model I have that is older better but it's kinda falling apart after having it for almost 8 years. The older one has a nice die cast metal body with some plastic. It just has a nice heft and quality feel to it. It was also one of the last of their shavers to use NiMH cells and the inductive charging base.

Most if not all of Panasonic's shavers are fully waterproof which makes cleaning them really easy. I usually clean, lubricate and recharge my shavers when I notice the battery is getting low.

Oh, and most electric shaver manuals seem to recommend replacing the blades and foils once a year which depending on the model might mean that just replacing the entire shaver would be less expensive. I don't know about Braun but Panasonic seems to like reusing blade specs from one year to the next to some degree so I was able to put the latest shaver blade tech on my 3 year old model.
Originally Posted By: wid

Here's another, bought it NOS. Dates from before 1929. Made in Germany for Covalt and Smith out of Pittsburgh PA.

I have to wonder what the latest blade steel would do for a straight razor. I know that particle metallurgy based wood turning chisels are just amazing compared to the old tool steel chisels.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 09:17 PM
Woohoo! 3500 posts. wink
Posted By: Ken.C Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 09:18 PM
Uhmm....
Posted By: jakewash Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 09:21 PM
homage to Fred I suspect
Posted By: pmbuko Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 09:26 PM
Fromage du Fred?

Ummm, ewww.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 09:37 PM
Homage to fred indeed!
Posted By: Wid Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/29/10 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: prototype3a
Originally Posted By: wid

I have to wonder what the latest blade steel would do for a straight razor. I know that particle metallurgy based wood turning chisels are just amazing compared to the old tool steel chisels.

I don't really know. I don't own any new stock razors.
Posted By: fredk Re: More blades do not mean better shave. - 09/30/10 12:43 AM
I think you meant 3500 shaves. Fred cheese indeed!
© Axiom Message Boards