Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/04/10 11:14 PM
My general preference in Christmas music is for the classics. My wife hates Mannheim Steamroller, I hate the Rat Pack, and I'm going to become homicidal if I hear Rudolph or Frosty or Mariah Carey.

Anyone have some album recommendations?
Posted By: CV Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/04/10 11:26 PM
Ummm...

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Christmas Caravan

Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Have Yourself a Meaty Little Christmas

Ha ha. Those are the three that I actually enjoy listening to. I only have a couple more Christmas albums. The Tori Amos one didn't do a lot for me, and I have to admit I haven't listened to Shawn Colvin's all the way through yet.

I'm sure someone else will come along with some better choices.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/04/10 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: CV

Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Have Yourself a Meaty Little Christmas

I'm sure someone else will come along with some better choices.

I think that's sort of by definition. laugh
Posted By: CV Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/04/10 11:50 PM
laugh
Posted By: CV Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/04/10 11:55 PM
Oh, I did actually like Christmas With Weezer, too.
Posted By: Henry66 Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 12:49 AM
I downloaded Amazon's 99 Most Essential Christmas Masterpieces for $2. That's 99 tracks for $2. Many classics in there but all played by classical orchestras, choirs, etc. I found it definitely worth the price.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 12:56 AM
You say classics as in Bing Crosby White Christmas etc.?

For a slightly modern version of some Christmas music my wife and family quite enjoy The Barenaked Ladies Christmas effort Barenaked for the Holidays

We also listen to Lawrence Welk and Reader's Digest - I'll Be Home For Christmas
Posted By: grunt Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 01:11 AM
My favorite Christmas song:

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Little Drummer boy

Careful if you buy this album because it was only a limited release during that Christmas season otherwise the track on this album was “Oh! Woes Me” which sucked.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 01:14 AM
Brian Setzer, Ella Fitzgerald, Natalie Cole, Vince Guaraldi, Wynton Marsalis, Trans Siberian Orchestra.
Posted By: grunt Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 01:21 AM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Brian Setzer, Ella Fitzgerald, Natalie Cole, Vince Guaraldi, Wynton Marsalis, Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Good call on TSO Tom.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 01:46 AM
I should have said Christmas Carols. When it comes to Christmas, I'm pretty much Linus--and that's the only time.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 01:57 AM
Geez, Ken, you're so picky!

laugh
Posted By: jakewash Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 06:03 AM
I should have mentioned Vince Guaraldi as well, I like listening to Charlie Brown Christmas music.

Hmmmm, a CD of Christmas Carols,..... I can think of some old LP's my parents have (not the names of them though) but I have not seen anything like them on CD.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 06:16 AM
Yeah, I can think of 2 albums that my parents had on vinyl--one was blue, the other red!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 07:43 AM
Ken, you want classic Christmas carols, this is it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 08:17 AM
I think that might be one of the albums my parents have!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 12:45 PM
I really like Wintersong by Sarah Mclachlan. I was wanting some Christmas music a couple of weeks ago. Walked into a Borders and this was the first one I picked up. Listened to her voice on the headset they had and I was sold right away. I like it more every time I listen to it.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 04:02 PM
Which TSO album is the best for Christmas?
Posted By: alan Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 04:59 PM
Like you, Ken, if I hear one more version of "Little Drummer Boy. . a rum, pum, pum, pum", I'll go crazy.

I like offbeat albums of Christmas music. Try The Roches' "We Three Kings". The three sisters sing around Manhattan from time to time, and there's nothing like a tight blend of sibling vocals when they sing well. Their harmonies are pitch-perfect and some of the arrangements are lovely; I like the a cappella stuff best. And you can skip the Little Drummer Boy track.

Give it a listen on Amazon and see if you like them.

Cheers,
Alan
I don't do much holiday music.

If I put it on Music Choice or something, I become aware in the third hour that I've essentially heard four versions each of the same twenty songs!
Posted By: Jc Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 05:36 PM
Hi,

My all time favorite . . .

Album Review
Christmas 1984 is the first holiday album the Mannheim Steamroller released, and it remains their definitive work. Chip Davis never strayed from the clean, airy instrumental style that he exhibits here (and earlier perfected on his Fresh Aire albums), but it is here where it all sounded fresh. It's also where he had his best selection of songs, tackling a variety of classic carols like "Deck the Halls," "We Three Kings," "Good King Wenceslas," "Wassail, Wassail," "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," and "I Saw Three Ships." Some listeners never found the Mannheim formula that engaging, but anyone who his been captured by one of their holiday records should investigate Christmas 1984, which is where it all began.

Merry Christmas to all ! ! !
Posted By: michael_d Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/05/10 06:19 PM
I tend to go for Christmas music that has less vocal, more instrument. My favorite is the first Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Christmas Eve and other Stories, although I do like all of there albums. A couple days ago I heard a song on Pandora (again) that I really liked, Immanuel. Tried to buy the album at Amazon after listening to the samples, but it's not available. Celtic Carols by Kildare. If you like the Irish Flute (I do), you might like this album.
Harry Connick Jr. for the holidays is a great album. So is "Soul of Christmas" along with Stevie Wonder's and Ray Charles' christmas albums are excellent.
I prefer more soul and R&B type of Christmas music, the standards have started to wear on me. My 2 favorite songs are Holy Night by the Temptations and One LIttle Christmas Tree by Steve Wonder.

Last week I created a Pandora channel w/ the Holy Night by the Temptations. Now it streams Motown-type of Christmas songs. I love Pandora.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/06/10 06:40 PM
This is my favorite Christmas song rendition.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/06/10 08:11 PM
That's our Cam, always classing up the joint.

Just like the rest of us.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/07/10 12:46 PM
I like Jewel's Christmas CD and Ray Charles' Spirit of Christmas is good as well.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/07/10 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
That's our Cam, always classing up the joint.

Just like the rest of us.

smile

Here's one for Jay. link
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/07/10 02:34 PM
Here's a good one:

RUDOLPH, you don't have to put on the red light
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/07/10 03:08 PM
Very cute.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/07/10 09:26 PM
Thanks Cam, a SILENCE night to you! smile
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/07/10 09:27 PM
Well, I just ordered some
Flecktones-Jingle All the Way
Mormon Tabernacle Choir-Silent Night: The Greatest Hits of Christmas
Andy Williams-The Andy Williams Christmas Album The Andy Williams Christmas Album
and
Wynton Marsalis-Crescent City Christmas Card
Posted By: davidsch Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/08/10 12:27 PM
Has anyone heard the Dave Brubeck Christmas CD that I have seen as a recent release?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/08/10 11:33 PM
I'm not a huge Mariah Carey fan, but I really enjoyed her first christmas album. I haven't heard the new one yet though.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/08/10 11:36 PM
My feeling about Mariah Carey is that she's certainly gotten a lot of play out of that one outfit.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/09/10 12:07 AM
oh wow...just noticed my signature...yikes. B.O.'s choking on those words right now isn't he.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 08:48 PM
Jabba the Hutt gins a Christmas song:

http://www.paulandstorm.com/archives/holiday-greetings-from-jabba-the-hutt/
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 08:50 PM
Pink Martini just release a holiday album. I just found out 90 seconds ago, and I'll be heading to Best Buy right now to purchase it. Gotta go!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 09:35 PM
I'm downloading it now on iTunes. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Two thumbs up!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 10:27 PM
sad...am I the last person on earth that purchases actual cds?

I went to Best Buy and their selection of cds is pathetic now. They used to have a HUGE selection. Needless to say they didn't have it. Aarrg.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 10:28 PM
Nope. Not even Pink Martini can make Little Drummer Boy tolerable.

Ok, that's not completely honest. I enjoy the instrumentation. They lyrics should just never have been written.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 10:29 PM
I buy some CDs still, but I wanted instant gratification.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 10:32 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko

Ok, that's not completely honest. I enjoy the instrumentation. They lyrics should just never have been written.

They never were.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 10:33 PM
So did I. That's why I didn't purchase the cd on amazon.com

It's funny that people always want a way to "protect" and archive their digital music. Buy the cd. Rip it however YOU want, and the cd IS your backup. Duh.

Does anyone sell uncompressed digital downloads? Prince offered them on his god awful website. He at least got that right. I'd pay a premium (not more than the cd, but more than the standard download). I don't think I'm alone.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 10:35 PM
No kidding, Craig. Best Buy's selection has dropped off the face of the earth. I stick to Amazon now.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/10/10 11:54 PM
It is looking like you have to buy CD's online now, everywhere I go I see less and less shelf space for CD's. I am ordering a bunch of cd's this Christmas, none of which I was able to find in a store. At least they are still producing them........for now. frown It wouldn't be so bad if they at least offered full cd quality(or better) downloads.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/11/10 12:01 AM
...pc games are even scarcer! Sigh...I'm getting old.
Posted By: Henry66 Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/11/10 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: spiffnme
Does anyone sell uncompressed digital downloads?
hdtracks.com
They have a lot of stuff, but very little of what I want, unfortunately.
Posted By: CV Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/11/10 04:56 AM
Originally Posted By: spiffnme
sad...am I the last person on earth that purchases actual cds?

I buy CDs whenever possible. The only ones I don't buy as CDs are the ones that are unavailable in the format or are insanely expensive.

More bands are offering FLAC downloads, but of course most of the time they're offering the CD at the same time, so I go with that and make my own FLACs.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/14/10 06:59 PM
Speaking of wood... here's a unique rendition of O Holy Night:

http://devour.com/video/o-holy-night-by-matt-mulholland/
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/14/10 11:49 PM
I'm glad that video didn't play at work.

I'd be singing it all day long.

And then I'd probably get a call from corporate. . .
Posted By: michael_d Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/15/10 03:03 AM
Oh God, what a word to have stuck on my mind....... you suck Peter smile
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Recommendations for Christmas music? - 12/15/10 03:31 AM
That was awesome, Peter!
© Axiom Message Boards