Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 08:21 PM
Countering BobK's thread, what artists DON'T you appreciate?

Maybe I'm an ass, or maybe not quite old enough to appreciate "The Groundbreaking", but I don't see what's amazing about the Beatles. They wrote some catchy songs, and I very much like the Love mix, but I don't hear what's amazing.

Bob Dylan can't sing.

I didn't see anything extraordinary about Nirvana or Kurt Cobain.

I'll add more as the thread takes off with other curmudgeons' opinions.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 08:28 PM
I hate Steely Dan and Grateful Dead.
Posted By: Wid Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 08:32 PM

The Rolling Stones come to mind, never did like them.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 08:35 PM
I am with you on this one Mark. The only Beatles cd I own is Abbey Road. While I do enjoy the Beatles music from time to time, I don't have a strong desire to listen to it. Same with Nirvana. With age I have grown to appreciate some of Bob Dylan's music although I don't own any cd's. Different music tastes I suppose.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 08:38 PM
Ooh, I'm pretty close to being with you on that one, wid. There's a few songs, but not many.
Posted By: Wid Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:01 PM

I'm definitely with ya on the Dead, Ken. I can't stand them.
Posted By: medic8r Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:16 PM
I agree with The Grateful Dead and the Rolling Stones.

I disagree on The Beatles and Nirvana.

I add Prince and Duran Duran.
Posted By: michael_d Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:31 PM
Rap, all of it, even drunk.

Pop, all of it, even drunk.

Country, most of it, need to be drunk for some of it.

Oh, you wanted specifics. How about Vanilla Ice? Never understood the allure that the Dead had on so many, but I never did do hallucinogenics either.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:34 PM
ABBA

(Sorry, Mark)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:36 PM
Some of my old favorites from way back.
Iron Butterfly
Moby Grape
Proco Harem
Santana
Cat Stevens
Cream
Blind Faith
Grateful Dead
Frank Zappa
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Electric Light Orchestra
One Dog Night
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:44 PM
I'll agree with the Beatles...before 1965. Everything else is IMO brilliant and I'll re-listen often. But I know plenty of people that can't listen to much Beatles. I really only sat down and listened to all of The Beatles albums two years ago so most of it sounds fresh to me.

Since I have worked through music history "backwards", hearing modern stuff first, I can hear the Beatles' influence in many of my favorite bands now. That's why I really like them. They mastered so many rock styles so easily album after album, song after song.

Add Ozzy Osbourne to the list. I cannot listen to him for more than a couple songs. I'll make it through Black Sabbath once and a while since there are many classic songs. Otherwise it's just...yeah...no.

Most Rap I can't stand. Kanye, Jay-Z, and Eminem have some brilliant, lyrically depthful songs that I respect.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:46 PM
I agree wholeheartedly on the Dead, Rap, 97.3% of country, Pop, half heartedly on Nirvana. I wholeheartedly disagree re Beatles, they had more hits on ONE side of ONE album then most groups had in a lifetime. Never liked the Stones calling themselves the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band" although I do like most of their earlier pre-'75 music. I "get" Neil Young's earlier music, but I "don't get" his newer stuff. People say Prince, or whatever he calls himself, is very talented....mehhh, I wouldn't pays my moneys. Just to ruffle Mark's feathers(I hope he is fortunate to always carry a spare set in case of emergency), I don't really get Steve Tyler...always struck me as a Jagger with less calories.
Posted By: medic8r Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 09:58 PM
David Bowie.
Posted By: Argon Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:03 PM
Never liked the Dead although my brother was a Dead Head. Disagree on the Beatles - listen to I Wanna Hold Your Hand by TV Carpio....Never liked REO Speedwagon and no one grates on my nerves like Axl.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:10 PM
The Anthem of the Sun was my first exposure to Greatful Dead. I used to get high and listen to this album all the time. It was their psychedelic album that a lot of groups made in that time frame.

To listen
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:11 PM
I love the Beatles. I could list hundreds of things I don't like, but maybe this should be "stuff you hate that other people love for some godforsaken reason."

In that vein, Ben Folds.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:15 PM
Eagles.
Posted By: Wid Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
David Bowie.

+1
Posted By: medic8r Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Eagles.

You beat Tom to it. F*&%ing Eagles.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:29 PM
Ooooh!! how could I forget the Ramones?
Posted By: RickF Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:48 PM
Eagles.

"!@#$ you man! You don't like my !@#$%^& music, get your own !@#$%^& cab!"

I'm with Mike regarding the rap, country (95% of it) and pop. The Dead and Dylan are alright, not much of a Beatles fan and The Doobie Brothers are starting to wear thin with me nowadays.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I don't see what's amazing about the Beatles.

I didn't see anything extraordinary about Nirvana or Kurt Cobain.

Ditto, dude.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
ABBA

(Sorry, Mark)

I'm not really any kind of a big fan myself. I traveled to Sweden when they were very popular, though, so I have happy associations with the music.

I'll agree with the Stones, too. I like some of their "greatest hits" but I don't think Jagger can sing and I don't own any CDs other than a greatest hits.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 11:08 PM
I heard my name, so I'll chime in.

Not surprisingly, I really agree with most everything said so far. Perhaps there is more commonality in our community than just speakers. smile

I must say that I did quite enjoy early 1970's Rolling Stones - I thought "Exile on Main Street", "Let it Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers" were all pretty satisfying. Of course, I didn't really discover them in real-time.

I just can't understand most hard-bop and acid jazz. Musicianship for its own sake - and absent melody - is not enjoyable to me.

I'm probably NOT going to spend much time on this thread, as it's too easy to wallow around in negativity. I'd much prefer to assemble a list of undiscovered gems from That Other Thread.

It's cool that we're not all wired the same smile
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 11:48 PM
Mostly just wired...period.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/24/11 11:49 PM
Justin Bieber.
Posted By: SBrown Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:03 AM
I liked "Brown Sugar" from the RS, hated Sonny&Cher!
Posted By: Argon Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 01:25 AM
Did I mention Axl?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 01:47 AM
Here's the one that makes my a$$ want to suck buttermilk. John Denver. Oh yeah, and Wayne Newton.
Posted By: Wid Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: RickF
Eagles.

"!@#$ you man! You don't like my !@#$%^& music, get your own !@#$%^& cab!"

I'm with Mike regarding the rap, country (95% of it) and pop. The Dead and Dylan are alright, not much of a Beatles fan and The Doobie Brothers are starting to wear thin with me nowadays.

I agree Rick, that's !@#$%^&!!!
Posted By: Argon Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Here's the one that makes my a$$ want to suck buttermilk. John Denver. Oh yeah, and Wayne Newton.

You don't like Danke Shoen???
Posted By: fredk Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:24 AM
Quote:
Since I have worked through music history "backwards", hearing modern stuff first, I can hear the Beatles' influence in many of my favorite bands now.

And maybe that's why some don't see them as special. Compared to their peers, they were way ahead of their time.

Take a look at their sheet music. Lots of complicated chord progressions. They incorporated jazz and a number of other styles into their music.

As for other groups, its a matter of taste I guess. Some of the stuff the Dead did was really good, some wasn't.

Dylan could sing (Lay Lady Lay), but chose not to. That was his 'sound'. He is one of the most amazing lyricists ever.

I never much cared for Ozzy or AC/DC. Go figure...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:26 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
Compared to their peers, they were way ahead of their time.

Brian Wilson would beg to differ.

(Not sure I'd agree with him, though.)
Posted By: fredk Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:28 AM
David Bowie.

And here I thought you were ground control...
Posted By: sonicfox Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:39 AM
Anyone with an annoying voice...

Janis Joplin, Bryan Adams, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty...you get the picture. No one can convince me their unpleasant voices add to the songs!

Nirvana...didn't get the hype at ALL!
Coldplay...some okay songs, but still WAY overrated!
Bon Jovi...how they stuck around since the 80's is beyond me
Oasis...tried to listen one time...didn't get it.
Aerosmith...Ugh!
REM...is their music really that good? Nothing I've heard so far.

I only listed bands/artists that stuck around for awhile since people still think are great. I'm sure I could think of more. I didn't mention current crappy artists like Justin Bieber. I think he'll be forgotten in a year or two.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:44 AM
Oasis, good one Mary, never got them either.
Posted By: fredk Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 03:44 AM
Funny, I think Joplin had an amazing voice.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 04:16 AM
Originally Posted By: sonicfox
Anyone with an annoying voice...

Tom Petty

You take that back! Take it back, now!
Posted By: INANE Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 05:39 AM
100% of Country Music

and I DESPISE Pearl Jam!

(but I like lots of other grunge, go figure)
Posted By: michael_d Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 05:50 AM
What about the Doors? I've tried my best over the years to like them because everyone else seams to think they were brilliant, but I don't get, or like their stuff at all. And I get (and like) Pink Floyd just fine.

Never liked Metallica either (running from Ken now).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 05:51 AM
Mike, I agree with you about the Doors, but I've never been able to get into Pink Floyd (runs away from everyone now).

Probably time for me to quit this thread, before I insult anyone else...
Posted By: BrenR Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:07 AM
- Mid-tempo "Gather 'round the burning pallet bonfire" rock... Creed, Nickelback, Tragically Hip...

- 80s hair bands that just won't die... Motley Crue, I'm looking directly at you.

- Every band on Epitaph Records (especially the Weakerthans)

Bren R.
Posted By: davidsch Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I hate Steely Dan and Grateful Dead.

I could not agree with you more!
Posted By: davidsch Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Ooooh!! how could I forget the Ramones?

I like the Ramones but usually only listen to 4 or 5 songs before switching to something else.
Posted By: davidsch Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
Justin Bieber.

You beat me to that one!
Posted By: davidsch Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:25 PM
Supertramp. I also never got the appeal for Nickelback and Oasis.
Posted By: Argon Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:32 PM
Okay......I never liked the Carpenters. Karen's voice was too drippy sweet for my tastes....
Posted By: Worfzara Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 12:50 PM
I like the Beatles later stuff, Srgnt Pepper, Get Back, Let It Be. Earlier stuff, Hold Your Hand, Love Me Do, She Loves You, arrrrrrggggg is too perky for me. I think they’re song writing was very good, but none of them had exceptional voices. But they did influence many artists, no one can deny that!

I also never understood the Rolling Stones hype. Jagger really can’t sing very well and Richards, well… My wife, a history major, tells me the Stones became the Stones because of the Vietnam War. No war, no Stones being the gr rock band of all time. I kind of understand what she is saying, but to be honest, I haven’t put all the pieces of that puzzle together in my head yet.

There was some great music of he sixties and early 70’s, but I don’t usually rush to my stereo or Ipod to listen and sing along with either of these bands. CCR, and Cream, come to mind as do Hendrix and The Who with less bubble gummy type music I enjoy.

I like music that has some more complex structure to it. Rush, Yes, Triumph, Pink Floyd, are usually always in my song lists.

I loved the 80’s hair bands, in the 80’s, (when I was a silly teenager) not so much now, most if it seems very one dimensional now. Priest and Maiden I think were the stand outs.
I wasn’t a big fan of Grunge in the early 90’s.

And today’s music, well, for the most part, I just don’t get it at all. I know, I sound like my dad and grandfather.

paul
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 01:08 PM
I have to disagree on the V war making the Stones. The Stones became popular about the same time as the Beatles. They both were very much into the music market way before the V war. I liked the early Stones, but I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for them today.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 07:23 PM
In fact, as I understand it, the Stones and the Beatles were marketed off each other at the time.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 07:37 PM
I think this may have been my very first exposure to the Rolling Stones on the Ed Sullivan Show back in 1967.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 07:54 PM
That was a "really big shoe".
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:03 PM
So who can we come to an agreement that are untouchable to mentioned in this category? 70's I would say Zeppelin and 80's Van Halen.
Posted By: medic8r Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:11 PM
So who can we come to an agreement that are untouchable ... in this category?

Maybe nobody.

And that's OK. The world would be boring if everybody liked the same stuff.
Posted By: BrenR Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:43 PM
So who can we come to an agreement that are untouchable to mentioned in this category? 70's I would say Zeppelin and 80's Van Halen.
Zeppelin I just don't care for. Van Halen, in any time period, I'll change the radio station from. If it's an overplayed "hit", usually by tossing it out the window.

Bren R.
Posted By: medic8r Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:46 PM
Ken and I rest our case.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:46 PM
The world would be boring if everybody liked the same stuff.

Or liked each other grin .
Posted By: medic8r Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:48 PM
STFU.

wink
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 08:51 PM
I had to look that up smile.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 09:04 PM
I'm surprised. wink

I have a button for the Order of St. Fual.

STFU And Listen.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 09:18 PM
I know what GTFO is. My dad and I were facetiously saying it to my mother if she even remotely got in the way, while we were hooking up my cabinet smile. She obviously didn't know what we were talking about, so after a while, we ceased resorting to the abbreviation laugh.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 09:28 PM
I tell Tillie the Wonder Dog to "STFU" sometimes. It doesn't work any better than any other "command".
Posted By: HomeDad Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/25/11 11:48 PM
Patience and training Tom wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pecw-ughsJk
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 12:01 AM
Yeah, maybe next dog, Michael grin This one's old and defective.
Posted By: fredk Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 12:05 AM
7 pages and nobody has mentioned Celine Dion? I just knew you guys were fans...
Posted By: HomeDad Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 01:38 AM
Who's Celine Dion? whistle
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 01:39 AM
It's that new mustard.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 02:38 AM
I find it tang(y)....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 05:51 AM
It's that new mustard.

EXT. COUNTRY ROAD INTERSECTION
An expensive chauffeur-driven luxury car sits at an intersection. A well-dressed gentleman in the rear of the car is beginning to eat a meal. Another expensive luxury car pulls up along the first car's left side. The well-dressed gentleman in the rear of the left car rolls down his window.

LEFT MAN
    (politely)
  Pardon me. Would you have any Celine Dion?

RIGHT MAN begins to gag on his lunch, and is struggling to keep it down.

RIGHT MAN
    (gagging)
  You (wet burp) jerk!

RIGHT MAN completely loses his lunch.
Posted By: Argon Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 01:03 PM
I think this may have been my very first exposure to the Rolling Stones on the Ed Sullivan Show back in 1967.

Did you guys notice the way Mick kept rolling his eyes when he said "Let's spend some TIME together"?
Posted By: BobKay Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 07:27 PM
For sure. Ed demanded they changed the lyric.

Kinda like Elvis, from the waist up only.
Posted By: Argon Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 09:33 PM
My daughter got an old Beatles VHS tape for Christmas. It was a documentary/chronicle of the Beatles first trip to the USA. It had all 3 Ed Sullivan appearances in their entirety. Ed loved those guys. I mean, for Ed, he was "gushing".
Posted By: Adrian Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/26/11 11:21 PM
Some other things I don't get....Bono(not Sonny, the Irish one), Cosby Show, the "English" they teach in the US, calculus(I used to get it, but forgot it), Phil Collins, premium grade gas, anchovies on my pizza, why Aliens always attack NY or LA but no other cities, basketball(only need to play the last 2 min), people who buy small cars to save gas but drive with their foot glued to the floorboard, why the recording industry(mainstream) keeps churning out the same thing yr after yr as if we don't notice, a ladder taller than 20ft(that's my max), how gas stations claim they only make a couple of cents profit on gasoline but the guy down the road is a few cents cheaper, involved with neighbours who want me to 'help' them on renovations, how unions went from improving safety on the job to wanting twice as much $$ to do half as much work, why music stores have everything Justin Bieber has recorded but none of the blues music I was looking for(kind of like your supermarket only selling hamburger but not steak, because they sell more), why I have hair growing in unneccessary places, why people buy auto shifts in cars like Corvettes and 911s(paddles ok, not auto thou), hmmmm....that's it for the time being....I probably need another coffee now.....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I just don't get it..... - 02/27/11 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I probably need another coffee now.....

Or one less! grin
© Axiom Message Boards