Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Getting Bin Laden - 08/15/11 06:24 PM
I don't believe this was even mentioned here, but this is a really gripping read (not short, leave yourself some quiet time): Getting Bin Laden
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/16/11 11:54 PM
Read the whole thing - couldn't put it down, so to speak.

Great story. Thank you, Mark.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/17/11 04:34 AM
Same here.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/17/11 01:03 PM
Ditto.
Posted By: Argon Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 01:53 AM
I wonder how he got all this detail - an interview with Team 6?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 06:21 AM
Mr. Bin Ladden, he be dead.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 11:25 AM
My understanding, if I remember right, was that he was given an exclusive interview with the team.

The author was interviewed on NPR before I actually saw the article, and it was one of those stories where, even after I pulled into the driveway at home, I sat and listened till the end of the story.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 12:25 PM
I can imagine, it was a gripping story to read.

Thanks, Mark.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 12:33 PM
{{I was going to post this under "What are you watching tonight", but I sense it's too important a subject for that thread. This thread seems more appropriate.}}

A customer brought in 5~6 hours of videotape from our local affiliates coverage of 9/11 to be converted to DVD. It's hard to watch it, in realtime, as I did that morning, but I can't seem to stop either. I still remember so vividly seeing that second plane fly in on the live video feed over Peter Jennings shoulder.

That morning, I had the TV on in my office while I was doing my final prep for a video shoot in Albany for a longtime client. When it became clear that this wasn't a commuter plane or an accident, I called my contact at the company to ask if they wanted to reschedule. Unfortunately, no one in the office knew what was happening until I told them, and the company had offices in one of the towers.

With my schedule now cleared for that day and the next, I became one of those people that just watched the news pretty much continuously for days...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I still remember so vividly seeing that second plane fly in on the live video feed over Peter Jennings shoulder.

Well, THAT shows that my memory can't be trusted. I watched that part of the converted discs, and it was Charlie Gibson's voice over a full-screen shot. I must remember the replays with Peter Jennings!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 08:05 PM
I still remember so vividly seeing that second plane fly in on the live video feed over Peter Jennings shoulder.

Well, THAT shows that my memory can't be trusted. I watched that part of the converted discs, and it was Charlie Gibson's voice over a full-screen shot. I must remember the replays with Peter Jennings!

Well then, I'll just have to ask my trial lawyers to take you off my witness-for-the-defense short list. Damn! You woulda been soooo believable, but not now. Damn!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Getting Bin Laden - 08/25/11 09:07 PM

That's the footage I saw live too...Charlie Gibson stating he saw another plane right after seeing it smash into the 2nd tower. It was one of those moments so hard to process, I remember having a delayed reaction. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed.
© Axiom Message Boards