Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 05:40 PM
Samsung is unveiling a hybrid vacuum tube sound dock. I think this is a neat little innovative product in the mainstream audio/portable market despite what we all think about the lower fidelity that sound docks offer to full scale systems. I think this sound dock looks a lot better than most as well.

"Previously only available in premium audio products, vacuum tubes amplifiers have been praised by audiophiles for producing more natural sounds, but these sounds were occasionally subject to distortion. Digital amplifiers deliver clear sound output, are more energy efficient and can fit into a smaller form factor. By combining the best of both, Samsung has achieved a technology breakthrough, thereby raising the bar in sound quality for mainstream audio products. The vacuum tube is used in the pre-amplifier while the power amplifier uses digital technology so the audio dock is able to maintain its beautifully slim body."

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do?news_seq=20042&page=1&gltype=localnews
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 06:48 PM
That's cool. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 06:56 PM
It has REALLY good connectivity for a docking station too.

The DA-E750 is the industry’s first device with docking support for both Galaxy S smartphones as well as Apple iOS devices including iPods, iPhones, and even iPads via unique dual docking structure.

Also supports Allshare (samsung), Airplay (apple) and Bluetooth for wireless audio!

ALL WITH THE

"soft glow that accentuates the sleek, high gloss wood finish wood and adds a touch of luxury to the system."
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 07:22 PM
Soft glow, too?!?! Nice.

I'm a little surprised it's from Samsung.

I know it's completely different technology (with vastly inferior sound reproduction) but I also like those acoustic horns that you can set your iPod in. Are there others?

Koostic

Alpine horn thing

Posted By: pmbuko Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 09:05 PM
Ricola?
Posted By: J. B. Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 10:35 PM
they should use Tibetan horns...
Posted By: medic8r Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 10:38 PM
I remember seeing that horn a few months back in The Week magazine. The article featured the 5 "best" electricity-free iPhone speakers.

I checked online and found a link, but it's for subscribers only. Here's the text of the article:

---

Mini Koo
Set an iPhone or iPod in the solid walnut cradle that craftsman Jim Simon created for Koostik, and the wood’s resonance gives the device’s volume a “subtle lift.”
$70, koostik.com
Source: Details

Phonofone III
This gramophone-style iPhone dock “gets our vote” for best-value cordless speaker. The design really boosts a phone’s overall volume, particularly the bass.
$200, scienceandsons.com
Source: Unplggd.com

Analog Tele-Phonographer
Christopher Locke creates his cordless “steampunk-style” iPhone and iPad speakers from found objects. Their sound is
“never tinny.”
From $400, heartlessmachine.com
Source: Details

iSuppli Gramo iPhone Speaker by Ozaki
This dock, when plugged in, will charge an iPhone. But like the other speakers here, it needs no power at all to boost the volume.
$70, ozakiverse.com
Source: Modern Home + Living

MegaPhone
This Italian-made ceramic horn with walnut stand resembles “a minimalist sculpture.” Paired with the right recording, it sounds like a “days-gone-by” Victrola.
$580, enadnis.com
Source: LATimes.com

---
Posted By: BobKay Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 10:42 PM
It looks like a 90 year-old tycoon's bed urinal.
Posted By: medic8r Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 10:45 PM
"Smithers! Fetch my voiding device!"

"Yes, Mr. Burns!"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/04/12 11:04 PM
Damn. You can get an audiophile to pay for anything, can't you?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/05/12 12:53 AM
Thanks, JP.

I think we need one of the village idiots woodworkers to make something nice for the rest of us.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/05/12 01:03 AM
Wait.

These people are geniuses.

You can get audiophiles and hipsters to pay for anything!
Posted By: JohnK Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/05/12 03:27 AM
It appears that the Samsung advertising hype plays on the same old tube mythology: apparently being "occasionally subject to distortion" doesn't prevent "producing more natural sounds", but the ability to "deliver clear sound output" isn't enough to do this.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/05/12 03:49 AM
Note: my comment was in direct reference to the passive horn thingies.
Posted By: INANE Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/05/12 05:56 AM
I was going to post something about that Sammy too. I have no use for it but it does look nifty!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/06/12 08:05 PM
I could use it for a very convenient, portable option for low volume background music. It has a ton of great connectivity. Perhaps I would stare at the beautiful, subtle glow. This is one of the products Samsung is bringing to CES so I will be interested to hear any reports as well as pricing info.
Posted By: bridgman Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/06/12 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I know it's completely different technology (with vastly inferior sound reproduction) but I also like those acoustic horns that you can set your iPod in. Are there others?

OK, *finally* I have a reason to buy an iPod. The alpine horn is seriously cool.
Posted By: RickF Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/06/12 11:46 PM
John that horn is seriously cool, I bet a conch shell would make a cool iPod horn also ... especially for our neck of the woods.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/06/12 11:50 PM
John would have to use a Reindeer antler.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/06/12 11:51 PM
Here in NH, I'd have to use the empty head of a politician.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/06/12 11:53 PM
Perhaps you would work on the "supply" end of things, Mark.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A Vacuum Tube Sound Dock? Yup! - 01/07/12 12:31 AM
Quick, buy Mark 6 or 7 iPods, so he has an excuse.
© Axiom Message Boards