Axiom Home Page
What were some of your favorite 8 bit games?

I loved Miner 2049.
NES

Bionic Commando
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Tecmo (Super) Bowl
Blades of Steel
Contra
S M B.3
Final Fantasy

NES

Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda
RBI Baseball
SMB 2 and 3
Mega Man
Blades of Steel
Pong.
Donkey Kong - but I was terrible at it
Space Invaders
Frogger
Pac Man
Joust
Dig Dug
Asteroids
Moon Patrol
Chopper Command (used to play this for hours on my neighbor's Atari 2600)

You can play some flash versions here:
8Bit.com

You can also download and play a number of old games from:
Atari Mania

I still play them on my M.A.M.E. cabinet:

Chopper command was a good one. I also loved Karateka. ZZ Top Eliminator was great video game playing music.
Missile command was one of my favorites in the arcade.
Zelda was a legend

Asteroids at a wedding reception one night, all night was pretty damn fun, and a lot of quarters! laugh
Great memories. What I could have done with all of those quarters...

Inspired by the fun of 8bit.com (thanks for that), I searched for my favorite arcade game - I think it was the only one that I ever finished - Capcom's 1942, and I found a playable online version at arcade-gameover.com, along with some other great games, like Commando and Ghosts 'n Goblins.
Ooooooo.... 1942... I remember playing that in the arcade a lot. 1943 wasn't quite as good, but I don't remember why.
On the Atari 2600, I probably played Frogger the most, followed by that comically hideous-looking version of Pac-Man.

I also liked the Activision games like River Raid and Chopper Command.
I had the Atari system before it was designated as the 2600, Home Entertainment System or something like that, loved to play Asteroids, Centipede, Missle Command. I even learned to program in Basic on it. I later bought the Atari 800 and programmed my first game on it.
Atari is the only 8-bit system I can remember. It doesn't seem like there were a lot of games for it. I had the usual, I think, and a couple of obscure titles that I found in garage sales that wasn't much fun.

I also remember pong. I remember the first time I saw one. I was just out of the military, or on leave, I can't remember, and a friend introduced pong to me in a bar. It was one of those crt tube facing up models that 2 people sat on either side of.

Was the first Nintendo an 8 or 16 bit machine? If it was 8, then I played a lot of games on it.
It was the Atari VCS or some had the Sears branded Atari. I had a 400, an 800, a 1200XL and a couple from the ST line later on.
The only arcade game that got a lot of my quarters was Rampage. There was something therapeutic about smashing the buildings and, occasionally, your fellow player.
Coin op games that got my money..... Defender, SpyHunter, Tempest, Missile Command, Asteroids, Space Invaders....

who was Evil Otto? smile
Defender. Haha. I played 1 session with that game one time only. I musta went through $20-30 worth of quarters. If you put your next quarter in right away, it restarted you at the last unfinished level instead of the start. I got all the way to the end where it had an impossible barrier to pass. Then when I died, the machine did an evil laugh at me and started me over at the beginning.
Brian, Defender never did an evil laugh at any of us!!??
You guys need to read this book. I'm listening to the unabridged audiobook ready by Mr 'Wesley Crusher' himself.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-E...1548&sr=8-1
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Defender ... when I died, the machine did an evil laugh at me ...

I always though that that was one of the hardest games.
I'm so from another generation.

I remember feeding quarters into video machines, though I don't recall the term "game" having been referenced.
I remember calling them "Arcade Machines"... Video "game" wasn't part of my vocabulary for some time.
Whoosh!

(Nick, it was the most deviant of references.)
Speaking of 8-bit, did you catch this yesterday?

72pins creative director discusses taking Call of Duty and Halo back to the 8-bit days

I was a C-64 grrrl . . . Epyx Summer Games FTW! Just remember to start loading it *before* dinner!!
I programmed on a Commodore PET in High School.

Bryan, my first game I programmed was similar to Defender.
Ooooh, C-64! I used to play hours of donkey cong on it.
I'm gonna be dreaming about that program - you remember the one that made your name run all over the screen? All I can remember is

>20 go to 10
Mig Alley Ace. After reading for months about what an incredible simulation it was, I purchased it, loaded it up.... and have never been so saddened in my life. That's an airplane?
After looking at screen shots of Defender, it does not look like the same game. Now, I'm not sure what the one I played is called, but Defender is the only thing that I can remember.
Crazy Climber was fun too!lol
Oh man, what memories!

Arcade:
- Galaga
- Tron
- Tempest

C64:
- Way of the Exploding Fist
- Ghostbusters
- Summer Games
- Caveman Ugh-lympics

My brother-in-law has a "cocktail" table (sit-down, upward facing table) with a MAME board, that I would kill to get a hold of.
Was it wrong that I liked to drop the people on the rooftops that you were suppose to rescue?
© Axiom Message Boards