Axiom Home Page
Posted By: FordPrefect Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 01:38 PM
Makes me quite proud of these kids.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1120...kilometres-high
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 01:55 PM
That is simply awesome!!
Posted By: RickF Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 02:05 PM
That's cool, I don't know how they come up with 80,000 feet being almost three times the cruising altitude of a jet though.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 02:05 PM
Dear Canada: I admire your latent attempt at a space progam, but you can't plant a flag in the stratosphere.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Dear Canada: I admire your latent attempt at a space progam, but you can't plant a flag in the stratosphere.

With all due respect Bob, but along with the Canadian astronauts that frequented and on occasion commanded the shuttle you might want to check the arm("Canadarm") on the shuttle and the space station and where it was developed and built. Without it, the shuttle's purpose would have been basically useless and they couldn't have built the space station without it. Slightly more than "latent".
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 02:50 PM
They were just the lowest bidders on the arm project. Probably because that funny bacon is so damn cheap up there. :P
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 02:56 PM
That was cool.... good for them!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: casey01

With all due respect Bob

None required, Casey----ever, really, but especially when I'm joking.

I know there have been Canadians in space. We had to let them come for a ride, 'cause they wouldn't stop holding their breath until we did. Actually, Canadians look pretty funny when they're bluish.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 04:43 PM
That is an excellent story!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 04:50 PM
I saw the thread title and thought it was gonna be too much like my work, but then you had to throw that curve ball, eh, FordPrefect?! smile
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 04:59 PM
that is awesome
Posted By: fredk Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 05:04 PM
We had to let them come for a ride, 'cause they wouldn't stop holding their breath until we did. Actually, Canadians look pretty funny when they're bluish.

C'mon Bob. Y'all know its because you wanted to hang out with the cool guys that go to Timmies.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 05:05 PM
My great aunt Joan was an artist and had some role in designing or painting the Canadian flag on the Canadarm.

I only met her once, and when I did, she showed me a beautiful coin she received by either our government or NASA.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 05:13 PM
It's becoming annoying Fred, that you have so often been correct. I did go to Timmon Horty's while I was there. As expected, I saw lots of fine Canadian people enjoying stuff. I SO wished I had the time to stay for a while and get to know them.

About the astronoaut thing...
I have a very close friend of 30 years who grew up in Houston. Half of his Dad's friends were both active and retired astronauts. They all met in the same men's (Southern Baptist) bible study group. Until then, I never knew such a thing existed.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
either by our government or NASA.

Cam, never go away from here, OK? You are such an engine of possibility.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 05:20 PM

Beat ya to it wink .
Posted By: Murph Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 08:15 PM

Beat ya to it wink .

The really scary part is that both our government and NASA operate under roughly the same budget.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 09:43 PM
Saw this story on the news...good for the kids who did it!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Kids Getting High - 01/26/12 11:04 PM
Until then, I never knew such a thing existed.
Astronauts or Bible Study Groups?

Bren R.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 02:36 AM
sweet
Posted By: JohnK Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 02:50 AM
Great!
Posted By: INANE Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 04:54 AM
Space is cool, legos are cool, this project is cool, these kids are cool.

NASA on the other hand is... pathetic. Big surprise since it's just another government bureaucracy right? laugh
Posted By: Murph Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 12:35 PM
Puts my old model rockets to shame when I was a kid.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 01:20 PM
Hey, I did model rockets for a while in middle school. I still have my Red Max on my bookshelf. It was so cool that couldn't ever see getting rid of it.

Apparently, it was so popular that Estes brought it back and sells it today.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 03:14 PM
The story continues.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1121598--lego-space-man-puts-the-spotlight-on-toronto-teens
Posted By: Murph Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Hey, I did model rockets for a while in middle school. I still have my Red Max on my bookshelf. It was so cool that couldn't ever see getting rid of it.

Apparently, it was so popular that Estes brought it back and sells it today.

That is awesome. I had that exact one as well. Sadly, I never thought to hang on to it. My biggest was a 3 stage using D engines. An impressive launch but even with 2 sets of binoculars one it and a larger than normal bright red parachute, we lost track of it and never saw it again. I only ever retrieved the 1st stage.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Kids Getting High - 01/27/12 05:04 PM
Wow, too bad they didn't have GPS back in the day; you could have tracked it down like those kids did.
© Axiom Message Boards