Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 03:51 PM
The GT-500 get's a few more ponies in 2013 along with launch control. 662-HP

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1205_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_first_test/
Posted By: nickbuol Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 04:39 PM
I like some of the higher end Mustangs, but they have gotten like Corvettes and Porsches... They all look the same with minor changes. I would rather have a lot more visual differences in a GT-500 monster over the base....
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 04:47 PM
Does it still have the live axle? Is that a problem?

Man, 662hp. That's nuts.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 04:51 PM
Live Axl-

He's nuts.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 04:58 PM
Launch control seems like cheating. There's an art/science to knowing just how much clutch to let out before the rear end gets away from you. smile
Posted By: RickF Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 05:10 PM
A guy on the fishing forum I frequent was looking for any Ford dealers on the site to try to place an order for one of those '13 GT500s, best he could find in the state of Florida was in Tampa for $30k over invoice and that was a 'forum member deal'.
From what I understand there will only be a very limited number of those cars doled out to a select few dealerships and word is that if you do not have a very tight relationship with one of those dealers you'll never get a car.
Posted By: michael_d Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Launch control seems like cheating. There's an art/science to knowing just how much clutch to let out before the rear end gets away from you. smile

Ya, it is in a way. But it's hard to argue that it is not effective when you start comparing 60' times. Sure wish I had it. When you really think about it, racers were cheating already with trans-breaks and stall converters.

The big hurdle the mustang has, and always has had is weight. The fat bitch needs to go on a diet. There comes a point when extra HP will not overcome weight and you just can't get the power to the ground.
Posted By: michael_d Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Does it still have the live axle? Is that a problem?

Man, 662hp. That's nuts.

IRS is better for handling, but not desirable for straight line performance, as the half shafts tend to break when you start through power and traction at them. The vette IRS is super stout for that very reason, but guys making upwards of 800 hp are swapping them out for solid axles.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 06:34 PM
Cool. Thanks, Mike.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 07:04 PM
There's an art/science to knowing just how much clutch to let out before the rear end gets away from you.

Yes, there is. This guy must have failed both art and science in driving school. Skip to 0:45.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 07:11 PM
Can't say that the driver of the camera car was driving much better.
Posted By: medic8r Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Can't say that the driver of the camera car was driving much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW43SXk2Ac
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 07:18 PM
Hey, bad driver is bad driver.

Bad driver. BAD!
Posted By: dakkon Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
There's an art/science to knowing just how much clutch to let out before the rear end gets away from you.

Yes, there is. This guy must have failed both art and science in driving school. Skip to 0:45.

My buddy was telling me about this video the other day!!!! If you listen closely, he was trying to increase his acceleration through the apex of the turn!!!.. this is a big NO-NO... constant power through the apex!!... I have done this several times in my own car when i was learning to drive at the race track... But then again i was at the track so when i bit it like this guy, i had plenty of room with no cars around me....

On an "on topic point.." i have owned a Mustang before, a 2000.. They did not seem to handel well at all, i have not driven one of the most recent versions of the car, but the Vette handles Way better, and most likely has more torque... The only mustang that i have driven that did handel well, and had a good amount of power for the weight of the car was a Roush Stage 3, with the supercharger... For that kind of cash, i think i would pass... Also, Live axles Suck at the track, all of the serious guys take the live axles out and go with a solid axle as one of the first things they do building a drag car...even german steel can't hold up....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEkUV7torQ
Posted By: michael_d Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/22/12 09:36 PM
I'm betting the car is a waxer and he doesn't drive it much and turned off traction control to show off. Vipers did not come with TC or active handling, which is why so many end up wrapped around a tree (the new one has it). It doesn't take much to loose control when you have that much power, and when you do, it's quick. I generally keep the Z's T/C engaged for that reason, and never turn off active handling. I've lost traction with the nannies turned off at 70 mph after shifting up to 2nd and the engine got to it's happy place, then it redlined and damn near spun me the other direction. I learned to get my right hand back to the wheel between shifts on that one...and to not turn off active handling. The active handling will help keep the car pointed the right direction if the ass end breaks loose.
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/23/12 12:13 AM
I want one! Awesome bang for buck.
Posted By: dakkon Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/24/12 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
I'm betting the car is a waxer and he doesn't drive it much and turned off traction control to show off. Vipers did not come with TC or active handling, which is why so many end up wrapped around a tree (the new one has it). It doesn't take much to loose control when you have that much power, and when you do, it's quick. I generally keep the Z's T/C engaged for that reason, and never turn off active handling. I've lost traction with the nannies turned off at 70 mph after shifting up to 2nd and the engine got to it's happy place, then it redlined and damn near spun me the other direction. I learned to get my right hand back to the wheel between shifts on that one...and to not turn off active handling. The active handling will help keep the car pointed the right direction if the ass end breaks loose.

i would agree... In my track car there are 3 levels of tc, to get the tc to turn completly off you have to hold the tc button for around 20sec without letting up at all, at whiich time the brake light turns yellow... if you simply push the tc button to "turn it off" it is still about 80 active, this is mainly for the weekend warrior i think, they get the light to go out and get to think "they are in control"..... when infact they are still recieving a significant amount of "help"

vipers can be mean.... TONS of torque, that most people are not use to..,
Posted By: Craig_P Re: 2013 Pony Car - 05/24/12 09:53 PM
Kinda awesome that they made this car, but so pointless. The people that buy these will never use 1/3 of the power that the car has, plus it's 662 HP in a chassis (basically) designed to be sold for $20,000. Insane, in a good way, but stupid.
I'm sure the Boss is a much better Mustang.
© Axiom Message Boards