Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/09/12 07:47 PM
As some of you may and or may not know, i have been working on a side project... Jeff has been kind enough to help me out with my project.. I recently e-mailed Ian, about offering a group buy.. The cost will be determined at a later date. However, a preliminary estimate is going to be around 200$ in materials or so, this is dependent on the price of steel at the time the raw materials are bought. Right now i am getting some quotes for waterjet time... I have been given a couple peoples names around town that offer a fare price. As some of you may know, on a waterjet it is as easy to cut 10-20 parts as it is to cut 2 parts, just a bit more time on the machine... This is where the group buy comes in. I have asked for waterjet time price quotes for 1 pair, as well as 10 pair.. I also have a buddy who owns a machine shop who has said he will the machining. However, i do plan on giving him some cash for his time. He usually machines parts for the aro space industry, and said he would help me with my side project.

With the Group buy, i am not expecting to make any money on this project, evenly split the cost.

So, what the heck am i talking about... Well, the answer is the MOTHER of all outriggers.

These were originally drawn (by Jeff) to work with the LFR's, which is why the back in angled. However, i asked Jeff if he would put a set of mounting points for my M60's as well (which is the blue area).. If there is anyone interested that has M80's i will kindly ask Jeff to add mounting points for the M80's.

Below are the dimensions. My intention is to use 1inch plate steel, which will result in an approximate net weight of about 45lbs each. These are going to be cut and then machined from 1inch plate steel.

My 100lb 2 year old German Shepherd was the motivating force behind this project... he is not always the most calm of pets, and had absolutely no comprehension of his size.
Posted By: SBrown Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 01:47 AM
I don't need any because my M80's sit on top of the subs, but thanks. Those are going to be pretty beefy at one inch. eek
Posted By: michael_d Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 03:23 PM
1" steel is complete overkill. You could probably get away with 3/8" AL.
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Michael_d

Michael, for a static load with nothing acting on it. There would be no need to even think about upgrading to outriggers.

However, do you know how much inertia a 100lb German shepherd has running as fast as he can? Well, if you do that makes 1 of us, he has made my M60's go flying like a freaking pinball off of a flapper (The M60's sustained no damage luckily)... we have a 60lb female that he likes to play with every evening at about 6pm, in the family room! He spends most of his play time trying to get away from her after he starts he keeps returning for more until they are both worn out. Part of the reason I put the 600's on either side of the 60's was an attempt to protect the 60's. So far, he hasn't been able to knock one of the 600's over (thank goodness).

Over kill, michael, you're the one with a 500hp car brotha grin.....
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon

Michael, for a static load with nothing acting on it. There would be no need to even think about upgrading to outriggers.

However, do you know how much inertia a 100lb German shepherd has running as fast as he can? Well, if you do that makes 1 of us, he has made my M60's go flying like a freaking pinball off of a flapper (The M60's sustained no damage luckily)... we have a 60lb female that he likes to play with every evening at about 6pm, in the family room! He spends most of his play time trying to get away from her after he starts he keeps returning for more until they are both worn out. Part of the reason I put the 600's on either side of the 60's was an attempt to protect the 60's. So far, he hasn't been able to knock one of the 600's over (thank goodness).

My sister has a female Weimaraner that is "show quality", I'm guessing maybe she is 55-60 pounds. All muscle. Apparently this morning she chased a deer and caught up to it no problem. The speed and power this animal has is unbelievable. It is scary what she is capable of. Such a powerful creature.

I like the German Shepherds. Beautiful, powerful, smart dogs.

That's the beauty of doing stuff yourself Dakkon. Over engineer baby, over engineer!
Posted By: fredk Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
...That's the beauty of doing stuff yourself Dakkon. Over engineer baby, over engineer!

Yeah. In fact, make it 2" plate. Those speakers will never move again.

Ever.

Not even over your dead body...
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk

Fred, that is why i chose 1" plate... I want to be able to move them without breaking my back... at 50% of the dogs weight on the floor, he hopefully will not be able to knock them over...

If others would like a thinner steel, i can get material costs easy enough.

P.S. Samson is all muscle, he runs about 2,000 yards a day (10 sprints up and down the local football field chasing his ball). I am pretty sure he is what they call a "high energy" dog.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 09:33 PM
...That's the beauty of doing stuff yourself Dakkon. Over engineer baby, over engineer!

Ever.

I don't get it?

German Shepherd = Strong
Weimaraner = Speed and strength
Dead Body = ???
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/10/12 10:00 PM
The smell from the dead body would be enough to knock over the speakers.
Posted By: medic8r Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/11/12 01:20 PM
Weekend Movies at Bernie's!
Posted By: fredk Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/11/12 11:35 PM

Ever.

I don't get it?

German Shepherd = Strong
Weimaraner = Speed and strength
Dead Body = ???

Hmm, maybe they don't use that expression any more? I guess I should finally upgrade to SenseOfHumor 2012...
Posted By: Murph Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/12/12 10:59 AM
I believe that that particular piece of bioware forces you to do incremental updates. Before you can load SenseOfHumor2012 you have to load SenseOHumor1984 and then 1990 and so on.

Sorry, just kidding. I'm Beta testing SensOHumor2015 and it has a lot of bugs.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/12/12 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: michael_d

Heed your own sentiments, Michael -

Originally Posted By: michael_d
Try this next time - assume positive intent.

Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/18/12 09:55 PM
Today i went to the steelworks place and talked with the guy who has been helping me. He showed me all of their machines. With the 1" thickness there were two options, flame cut, or waterjet. Waterjet @1" was going to be almost 300$ each materials+machine time.

So, the final decision was to go with 3/4" material, and get that material cut on their plasma machine. This will result in a net cost of 200$ for the pair of outriggers. Due to getting the material cut on the plasma cutter, i will have to drill holes on my drill press at the house, and them tap them by hand. To do this i will get a 1:1 printout of the autocad drawing that the shop is using to cut the parts, to ensure all the holes are in the proper locations..

The parts should be ready in 2-3 days. I will post some photos when i receive them, as well as some more when i am drilling the holes. The outriggers may be ready just as my LFR's arrive.
Posted By: SBrown Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/18/12 11:10 PM
The outriggers may be ready just as my LFR's arrive.

Yes, but the LFR's have their own outrigger's. So that is kind of a moot point. Giving you a hard time. grin
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/18/12 11:21 PM
yes, they do.. But, Shawn... They don't have 100lb outriggers ;), the feet on these are also longer, so they should provide more support in that area as well.

Shawn, the pink in the second drawing are the factory outriggers.
Posted By: SBrown Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/19/12 02:47 AM
Ahh...ok, I got you now Alex. You going to use the factory ones on the M60's?
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/19/12 03:06 AM
no, the LFR's are deeper than them M60's the mounting holes are not in the same position. if you look at the first picture, the back set of holes are for the LFR's, the blue set is for the M60's. I could possibly use the LFR outriggers on the M60's but i would have to drill a set of holes in them to be able to mount them to the M60's. I can't tell from the geometry if there would be enough material to drill a hole for the M60's while being structurally sound... I will look into it when everything arrives.

I may get some 1/4" outriggers cut for the M60's. I think 1/4" outriggers would be about 100$ish.

When i was there today they had just finished cutting some 10inch thick pieces... Now, that was freaking thick!
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 06/22/12 10:08 PM
Here is one of the parts that was cut earlier this week. I picked it up today. The over all weight is 35lbs.

Here is a side view, the material is 3/4" thick.

Here are the tools that i will be using. The drill bits are Cleveland drill bits, American made bits. The center bit is a counter bore bit for 1/4 20 allen head screws, also an American made bit. The cutting oil, is what a machinist buddy of mine told me to get to lubricate the cutting head.

I am thinking i will either get them power coated, or paint them with automotive paint.. However, that decision will be made at a later date, after all of the machining is done.
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/10/12 04:19 PM
Got one of the outriggers cut last night.

Here is the template that Jeff cut for me, and included with my LFR's.

This last photo is a little out of focus. Here I am threading the outriggers for the feet, this is a 1/4 20 thread.

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/10/12 07:55 PM
Overkill? Not at all, very subtle in a Game of Thrones sort of way.

Are there holes at the front/back to allow for spikes or leveling feet?

Love the mechanical look of them, my 60s need them. How about shipping..is that a killer?
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/16/12 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
Overkill? Not at all, very subtle in a Game of Thrones sort of way.

Are there holes at the front/back to allow for spikes or leveling feet?

Love the mechanical look of them, my 60s need them. How about shipping..is that a killer?

The holes that are tapped for leveling or spikes, whichever you choose wink ... However, if you put spikes on them, and they get bumped, unless the spikes have graded threads, it is likely that the 1/4" threaded portion will not be strong enough to hold up to the weight. I am debating as to whether i want to use my LFR feet, or just re-use my M60's rubber feet, due to the rubber being much more forgiving under any type of lateral load.

I can get you a pair for M60's Jeff included holes for M60's and i can verify fitment on my M60's to ensure they will work..

Shipping, The total weight will be 70lbs each piece weighs 35lbs at a material thickness of 3/4" and would ship from 75081. Obviously if you decide to go thinner then the weight will be reduced as will the shipping cost...

The material cost will be right at about 300$ including powder coat 200$ for the steel+plasma cut, and 100$ for powder coat... I should have mine back from powder coat this week and will post updates.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/16/12 10:47 PM
Those are really freaking cool.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/17/12 03:11 AM
Makes you want outriggers for your 60s, huh Tom? :-)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/17/12 04:18 AM
Maybe a little. But I don't think I have the skills to make them elegant enough. And I'm WAY too cheap to buy something that nice.

I was actually looking at some 1.5 x .5 inch steel bar at onlinemetalstore. That are in Seattle, so I can get small pieces cut to size and then pick them up. A little drilling and paint...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/17/12 05:31 AM
Gave up on me, huh? :-) :-)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/17/12 06:26 AM
Never.

I just can't imagine getting to the top of the list. And that's okay. smile
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/19/12 03:58 AM
Got the outriggers back from powder coat today..

Posted By: CV Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/19/12 04:27 AM
Looks great, dakkon.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/19/12 12:06 PM
Looks darkened, dakkon!
Posted By: dakkon Re: My "Secret" project/ Group buy. - 07/20/12 12:03 AM
So, I'm thinking about getting some of these...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-vibration-control-levelers/=ihabd3

The stock rubber feet are ok, but are larger than the legs and stick out, as you can see from the first photo.

Or, maybe these, as they are about 1/2 the cost... But! the first ones are machined stainless steel, and these are zinc coated...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-vibration-control-levelers/=ihacnv

Here are some more photos of the outriggers.

© Axiom Message Boards