Axiom Home Page
Posted By: exlabdriver Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/12 08:36 PM
After a long cool spring, finally it's a beautiful day on Canada's West Coast - so appropriate for Canada Day.

I've enclosed some recent pics that I took in our Nation's Capital, Ottawa & our Provincial Capital, Victoria.

Similarly, Happy Birthday to all of our American friends on the upcoming 4th of July.

BTW, the famous 'BeaverTailS' pastries are the best thing about Ottawa, ha!!

TAM

Parliament Hill, Ottawa

Peace Tower

Our magnificent Parliamentary Library

The all important Royal Mint

The best ever pastries

BC Legislature in Victoria, BC

A wonderfully trimmed bush in Victoria depicting our local Orcas

Posted By: Ajax Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/12 10:41 PM
All the best to our neighbors and friends to the North on Canada day.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/12 11:42 PM
Happy Birthday Canada!!!!
Posted By: RickF Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/12 11:54 PM
Happy Birthday to you Canada!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/12 02:28 AM
Happy Birthday, Canada! But Tom, does this mean that you don't have a 4th of July in Canada?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/12 11:54 AM
Nope. The Canadian calendar goes from the third right to the fifth!

Happy Birthday, Canada! Nice photos Lab!

Shouldn't this be in the birthday thread?

I wonder, with Canada's and Americas birthday being so close together, if the U.N. combines them into one party and each get gyped out of presents?
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/12 06:30 PM
Happy Birthday Canada! Just wondering thou, how long have you been a nation?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/12 06:50 PM
145 years is the official number, but that only included Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Other provinces joined over the next 85-odd years.

The announcement was immediately published on the internet :

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/12 06:57 PM
Punk Kids.
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/12 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
145 years is the official number, but that only included Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Other provinces joined over the next 85-odd years.

Thanks for providing the info, on some Canadian heritage. smile
Posted By: BobKay Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/03/12 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver

BTW, the famous 'BeaverTailS' pastries are the best thing about Ottawa, ha!!

TAM

In the U.S., that is redundant!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/03/12 12:46 AM

"By the Queen," "...lawful for the Queen," "Privy Council," God Save the Queen"

Sounds like game rules for Ru Paul's Drag Race.
Posted By: Murph Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/03/12 11:28 AM
Had an awesome long weekend here. The weather stayed perfect despite the forecasts.

Friday night we went to a friends house who planked a salmon. Soooo Goood. Saturday, we sailed over to the beach on the island just off our bay. Spent the day in the sun and the on water.

Sunday, we went to the nearby community of North Rustico where Canada Day is bigger than Christmas. Starts with a parade at 10:30 in the am then bands and other entertainment all day down by the waterfront. Then we hopped on a lobster boat to take a part in the Parade of Boats. The prize for most decorated boat went to a boat that seemed to have more young bikinis on it than flags but it was definitely the most observed, so I guess that gave it extra points. Then a barbecue at our friends house and more music.

Monday was more relaxing. We enjoyed the sun on our deck and I got out again for a great afternoon on the item I'm not allowed to mention any more.

Cheers to everyone down South for your celebration tomorrow. I hope you all have as great a holiday as ours was. July 4th also my Mom's birthday so we will be celebrating again.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/05/13 09:00 PM
Thought I'd get an early start on recycling this thread by posting this little dollop of awesomeness.

Posted By: Murph Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/06/13 12:36 PM
Hahah I like it!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 04:53 PM
Happy Canada Day, friends!
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 05:08 PM
The west coast weather finally turned to summer thanks to the High Pressure System sliding up from the US Desert SW - the one that produced 54C in Death Valley yesterday. It hit 33C on my deck last evening - very warm for here.

This is what I'm doing this Canada Day Weekend while my wife is toiling away in our ER at our local hospital:

TAM
Posted By: medic8r Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 05:32 PM
Happy Birthday, you hosers!

And thanks for the pictures of Victoria's wonderfully trimmed bush!
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 06:11 PM
Resurrected thread - the bush actually from last year.

I don't know if it is still there this year...

TAM
Posted By: Adrian Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 06:12 PM
Happy Birthday, fellow Canucks and thank you to all the best wishes from all our friends here!

How am I "celebrating" Canada Day? first day of marriage starts today!!...got home at 3:00am this morning from our ceremony, perfect weather for our outdoor festivities beside the Credit River in Terra Cotta.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 06:38 PM
Congrats, Adrian!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
Resurrected thread - the bush [is] actually from last year. TAM

I noticed. Guess it's not Victoria's Secret any longer!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 06:47 PM
Hey- Congratulations, Adrian! Did you figure on the wedding date so you'll always remember your anniversary?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 06:52 PM
I came here to post this. It seems less important now that Adrian is all married-ee and stuff!

Posted By: Adrian Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Did you figure on the wedding date so you'll always remember your anniversary?

Actually, it was so Linnie could remember our anniversary, lol!

The fireworks will be a bonus for us every year.
Posted By: onn Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
The fireworks will be a bonus for us every year.

Don't the fireworks happen every evening?

Edit: Happy Canada Day
I lost my train of thought there for a minute or two.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/01/13 08:32 PM
I'm celebrating by listening to the two Axiom mixes I've received from Murph. A little CanCon to brighten the day. smile
Posted By: JohnK Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/13 02:24 AM
Adrian, congratulations!

Happy Canada Day to our Canadian members!
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/13 03:23 AM
I kinda like this pic:

TAM
Posted By: Ajax Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/13 11:48 AM
Me too. That's a beautiful Spit.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/13 12:10 PM
Thanks, JohnK!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/02/13 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: onn
Don't the fireworks happen every evening?

Hah!! good one Mel!
Posted By: fredk Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/05/13 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Happy Birthday, fellow Canucks and thank you to all the best wishes from all our friends here!

How am I "celebrating" Canada Day? first day of marriage starts today!!...got home at 3:00am this morning from our ceremony, perfect weather for our outdoor festivities beside the Credit River in Terra Cotta.

Congrats Adrian!

Tam. I went through the Air & Space museum a couple of days ago. Among other things they had a nice display of older plane engines. The engines in those fighters were HUGE!

I spent Canada day hanging out in Ottawa with the kids. We watched the fireworks from the Museum of Civilization (across the Ottawa river from the parliament buildings).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/05/13 02:27 AM
Our Air and Space museum (unsurprisingly) also has a nice display of old plane engines. This one is my favorite: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19781379000

Go big or go home.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/05/13 03:54 AM
Yup, they were huge, heavy & complicated & they ran them to their limits when required - amazing engineering actually.

The big radial engines in fighters like the Thunderbolt & Sea Fury resulted in a fat front end, whereas the V12 types in the Spitfires & Mustang type fighters made for a much more slender profile.

The beauty of today's turbines is there is really just one big smoothly moving part instead of pistons, cams, valves, crankshafts, superchargers, etc, etc all trying to vibrate the whole mess apart. The trouble is, jets like to be at very high altitudes in thin air to make them efficient fuel consumption wise. That's probably why we don't have them in our normal land bound vehicles yet...

TAM
Posted By: Murph Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/15/13 06:49 PM
I'm late. However for my friends from down south who brought us well wishes, I return them to you with a gift. A well known little recipe for Canadian Lasagna
Posted By: jakewash Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/16/13 01:47 AM
Chrysler did try Turbines back in the early 60's.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbine-photos.html
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/16/13 01:57 AM
The turbine in cars story is fascinating.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/24/14 05:08 PM
http://www.brainfall.com/quizzes/how-canada-are-you/

Thanks to all of you, my geographical proximity to BC - and, I assume, my correct pronunciation of "sorry" - I'm 90%!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/24/14 05:29 PM
40% here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/24/14 08:51 PM
My house hippo ate my homework.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/24/14 09:52 PM
I've lived from one end of this country to the other & many places in between. I got only 60%.

It shows how I'm out of touch with the 'BrainFall Staff' - who ever they are. They must be from a different generation from mine...

TAM
Posted By: BobKay Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/26/14 09:09 PM
Whoa! Two quite important Axiomoe events and I missed 'em. Sorry!

Dear Canada: Thank you for your good-natured responses (or none at all) to my 49th paralell jabs over the years.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CANADA! ROCK ON! (I'll ignore the Rush thing for the rest of the month, but just for you guys.) And admit it! You ARE us, only you're better at a lot of stuff and have way fewer crazy people per sq. mile. "Why" doesn't matter.

AND, AND, ADRIAN!

Major Congratulations on your recent marriage! It's aboot time! And to think of all the people who thought you were gay! Jeesh! At least now THAT can get put to rest.

Seriously, I wish you both many decades of joy together! HAPPY "0" Anniversary!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/26/14 09:17 PM

For the record, I NEVER proclaimed any such thing!
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/27/14 07:04 PM
So much for location, didn't help much, just across the river, only scored 70%, imagine my Canadian friends are so embarrassed!
Temporary thread hi-jack,
Detroit the 313, celebrating it's 313th birthday.
Established in July, 1701 by the less than esteemed one Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac (not his real name, changed it due to some questionable youthful behavior).
Sounds like a real Detroiter.
OK, back to the regularly scheduled programming.
Posted By: Murph Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 07/28/14 11:46 AM
PEI is celebrating "2014" or 150 years since the "Charlottetown Conference" where all of Canada's 'Founding Fathers of Confederation', got together, drank a lot of booze and supposedly discussed how to create Canada in between the whiskey shots and fights over who had the tallest top hat.

I don't know how much effect this really had historically but the Province and the Feds have kicked in millions of dollars for the celebration including a ton of great, free concerts all summer.

I think the 26 million could have been spend in a lot better places but since I have no say in it, I'm enjoying as many of the free concerts as I can. Well, kinda free.... tax money and all...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/23/15 11:10 PM
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/24/15 12:36 AM
That is spectacular.
Posted By: Murph Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/24/15 12:03 PM
Wow, how to revive up an old thread!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/25/15 03:33 PM
Well, it's almost your birthday, again. Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/25/15 10:11 PM
Here is proof that Canada is a civilized nation. I was in Canada very recently and did not expect to find one of these...(the phone not the girl)

Posted By: Murph Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/26/15 12:10 PM
You expected tin cans & waxed string perhaps?

Although his first patent was filed in the U.S., A.G. Bell was originally a Scotsman who spend a great deal of his life and 'electro-acoustical' experimentation in his home in Brampton Ontario. He was back and forth between his home in Brampton and his Lab in Boston when he invented the telephone. (Patent wars aside.)

The U.S. based Bell Telephone Company started only 3 years prior to the first Bell branded Telco. in Canada and they share the same origin.

The first Canadian telephone company began in 1879 after Alexander G. Bell granted 75% of the Canadian telephone patent rights to his father Melville Bell who still lived in Canada. Melville sold his Canadian rights to the patent to the National Bell Telephone Company of Boston after being unable to find a Can. buyer. It is said he wanted to join his son Alexander in the U.S.

In an odd twist, the National Telephone Company of Boston diversified North and started "The Bell Telephone Company of Canada" in Montreal & Toronto in 1980.

It's morphed & diversified a lot since then, turning into what is now BCE or "Bell Canada Enterprises," but with over 135 years of shared history in the very genesis of the "Bell" branded telephone business, I find it odd you would find the above shocking.

Posted By: Lampshade Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/26/15 04:10 PM
frown

I just hadn't seen a pay telephone (and working and looking pristine) like that in a long time. I really liked Canada.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/26/15 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By Murph
You expected tin cans & waxed string perhaps?

Although his first patent was filed in the U.S., A.G. Bell was originally a Scotsman who spend a great deal of his life and 'electro-acoustical' experimentation in his home in Brampton Ontario. He was back and forth between his home in Brampton and his Lab in Boston when he invented the telephone. (Patent wars aside.)

The U.S. based Bell Telephone Company started only 3 years prior to the first Bell branded Telco. in Canada and they share the same origin.

The first Canadian telephone company began in 1879 after Alexander G. Bell granted 75% of the Canadian telephone patent rights to his father Melville Bell who still lived in Canada. Melville sold his Canadian rights to the patent to the National Bell Telephone Company of Boston after being unable to find a Can. buyer. It is said he wanted to join his son Alexander in the U.S.

In an odd twist, the National Telephone Company of Boston diversified North and started "The Bell Telephone Company of Canada" in Montreal & Toronto in 1980.

It's morphed & diversified a lot since then, turning into what is now BCE or "Bell Canada Enterprises," but with over 135 years of shared history in the very genesis of the "Bell" branded telephone business, I find it odd you would find the above shocking.

Not to "pick any nits" here, but when it comes to the work and history of A.G. Bell you may have offended some of the good folks of "Brantford", Ontario, where he spent much of his research time and where there is, among other things, a large monument to his legacy NOT Brampton, Ontario.

Incidentally, the pay phone as shown in the picture shown above is gradually being phased out of existence.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Canada - It's Our Birthday - 06/26/15 11:20 PM
Next on the History Channel: Bacon from the Pig War.
© Axiom Message Boards