Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 12:29 AM
So i had my hearing tested a few weeks ago,and lets just say you won't have to worry about hearing my opinion on how Axiom speakers (or any speakers fwiw ) sound grin While surfing around i found this site that has test tones at different frequencie's and thought it would be fun if we tested and posted result and age in this thread.

I just turned 50 and i can hear 12k strong but 14k is a no go. I pissed my kid off the other morning i was doin the test with volume right up laugh seems he has better hearing than i do.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 01:28 AM
I'm 64.5 & can hear 12K strong as well but not 14K either. I tried the tones on 2 sets of speakers & 2 sets of earphones.

My RS Minimus 7 speaker reproduced 12K fairly well. My vintage larger Sansui PMC-200s had difficulty with 12K but it was there.

My vintage high quality Sony MDR CD1000 Digital Reference headphones did the best - strong at 12K. My el-cheapo Sony MDR 023 that came with a mini portable radio wouldn't reproduce 12K - 10K was their limit.

TAM
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 02:09 AM
Your hangin in good then tam. i doubt i will hear that well in another 15 yrs. Oh well my memory can fill in the missing parts smile
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 04:19 AM
I hear 14K all the time. Even in the shower.
Posted By: exlabdriver Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 05:52 AM
Socket:

Considering that I hung around airfields most of my life, I guess that I consider my self fortunate to still hear 12K...

TAM
Posted By: medic8r Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 12:27 PM
I'm in my 40s and can hear up to 14k, as they predicted. I was bummed that 15k and up were totally silent. I thought I'd get something at 15k, but no.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 12:57 PM
when i was in my 40s i did an ear test with a sine wave tone generator and Sennheiser headphones.
one ear was good up to 17 kHz and the other one up to 17.5 kHz.

that's a long time ago and my hearing must have changed a lot in the meantime, but i can tell that as we age, we are not aware of those changes and i can't seem to remember any way it was sounding different then, compared to now.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 01:04 PM
I'm disappointed that 401K is nowhere to be found.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 02:15 PM
Richard, I'm 33. When i was in the Navy i had hearing tests quite regularly.. I worked in the engine room of a submarine... All of the Turbines were operated by high pressure steam. The turbine Generators were about the size of a semi, and the main engines were considerably larger than that... Needless to say it was a pretty damn loud environment. Also, i ALWAYS wore earplugs.

When i got out, i went to the V.A. and among other things i had yet another hearing test... I was 1% away from having hearing loss as a disability... I do not know the frequencies, but.. Well... ya know...

So, i figure if i buy bigger speakers and more power that will compensate for my lack of hearing smile
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 07:32 PM
I too have been unkind to my ears, which is why i dont get involved in the discussion's which involve how any speaker sounds. I do value my kids opinions though since they have much better hearing than i do. I feel i still hear the most important range of the music and i like what i hear.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Hearing Test Who's had one - 08/16/12 08:55 PM
HUH? WHAT'D YOU SAY?
© Axiom Message Boards