Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Amie Inconceivable! Am I The Only One Who Missed It? - 09/26/12 10:17 PM
The Princess Bride turned 25!! Cast reunion planned for the New York Film Festival

Wonder who among us watched that movie the most times? I'm guessing my number is 10. I'm also guessing someone has me beat by a mile.

'Fess up - how many times did you brandish an air-sword and declare "Hullo! My name is Inigo Montoya!" . . .
I think my wife has got you beat--although I'm man enough to say that I'm not too far behind. And you don't even have to threaten me with Iocane powder--which I've developed a tolerance for, of course.
It's pretty rare for more than a couple days to go by without somebody in our family quoting *something* from that movie.

I have no idea how many times I've seen it either in its entirety or partially. Let's say "many".

Killed by pirates is good.
Your quotes are taking me back already! To this day my best friend and I can still crack each other up with one word: Ma-widge. Alas, poor Buttercup!
Originally Posted By: Amie
Ma-widge

laugh laugh laugh
I remember seeing that movie in the theater with my dad when it first came out. It's one of the movies with the highest rewatchability, as far as I'm concerned. The Mark Knopfler score helps, too. smile
I'd forgotten that too! But the minute you said his name I could instantly remember every word to 'Storybook Story' or whatever the theme song was really called.

I remember where I was when I heard Andre the Giant died . . .
I've never seen it.... frown
I'm beginning to think Mark has never seen ANY movie.
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I've never seen it.... frown

Must be a square room thing. Me either.
One of my favorite movies of all time, can't believe some have never watched it....will have to pick up the bluray version.

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
Stop Saying That!
I once saw Mandy Patinkin in a one man concert. At one point he brought a man from the audience up on the stage. Naturally Mandy asked him his name. I instantly died with regret that he had not chosen me cuz, in all honesty, I would have had the chutzpah and nerve to say...(you know it). I think it would have brought the house down. Ah the opportunities in life one misses.
Jack, that would have definitely been a keeper.
Instead, the audience got... a sleeper?
No more rhyming, now! I mean it!
I watched it plenty of times when I was a kid. I bought the previous Blu-ray release, though, and I still haven't watched it. I'm weird actually have a collection of different releases of both the book and the movie. As far as the movie, I have a couple of laserdisc versions, a PSP UMD, foreign DVD and VHS versions.... I'm sure I'll pick up the new Blu-ray, too, so I don't break the streak.

When I finally get my basement done, I'm hoping to have more movie parties, and The Princess Bride should certainly be one of the ones I show.
For those of you who haven't watched it, I think it holds up. When Ian and wuz a-courtin' it was one of those "You've never seen it? I can't possibly marry you until you do!" movies I made him watch and he really enjoyed it. It's not too late! Party at CV's!

. . . and in case you're wondering, he had me watch The Great Escape . . . a classic that also stood the test of time.
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Instead, the audience got... a sleeper?

I don't remember why he brought up a member of the audience , so it must not have made much of an impression on me. However, it was quite a few years ago and I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. crazy
I won't say how often I've seen it. Not sure I know. Let's just say I've seen Star Wars IV more.
Anybody want a peanut?
Murph, what is this "Star Wars" you speak of?
BUUUUUURN THE WITCH!
Vizzini must be laughing at us from the afterlife, what with all the land wars in Asia we are currently snarled up in.
And all the Sicilians we've gone against when death was on the line.
I've never seen Princess Bride, neither. I usually skip the movies that don't have aliens, space ships, or slashers.
I watched it for the first time last year after wondering just what in the hell a R.O.U.S. was, hearing the term quite often by friends. Now, just about any creature that we happen to come across is a R.O.U.S. .....dammit.

The priest with the slur is my favorite.....
Hey Mark,

Join the club. I've never seen it either. I figured it was some children's fantasy and dismissed it.

I have seen "The Great Escape" a couple of times, however.

Cheers,
Alan
Originally Posted By: Amie
...I think it holds up ... "You've never seen it? I can't possibly marry you until you do!" ... Party at CV's!

Yes, yes and yes!!!
The book itself is fantastic, and doesn't take away from the movie at all. Even the original by S. Morgenstern is pretty good, although the re-release is right about the excess detail.
Originally Posted By: alan

Join the club. I've never seen it either. I figured it was some children's fantasy and dismissed it.

Inconceivable!
Although, i'm not sure i mean what i think it means.
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Originally Posted By: alan

Inconceivable!
Although, i'm not sure i mean what i think it means.

I think inconceivable means too ugly to get pregnant.
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
One of my favorite movies of all time, can't believe some have never watched it....will have to pick up the bluray version.

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Funny, we were just talking about this movie at work today - a quarter of the staff had not seen it (the youngest ones it turns out).

"Have fun stormin' the castle!" Best line in the movie.
You think it'll woik?
It'll take a miracle.
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I think inconceivable means too ugly to get pregnant.

No, she cannot bear children, so she is unbearable.

Or is it that she cannot get pregnant, so she is impregnable?
I heckle in your general direction.
Had to post to this one, I saw it in the theater with my girlfriend from that time, when I met my future wife and we discovered we both loved this movie I was amazed she had seen it let alone heard of it. As to how many times have we watched it, let's see we have been together for 23 years and I am sure we have watched it at least once a year if not twice or more some years. My wife walked into our wedding with the Princess Bride acoustic version playing. Our first dance was to the sung version.
My wife originally thought the movie was another one of "those stupid movies you watch". Nevertheless, I would catch her quoting a line from it (due to how many times she had heard ME quoting lines from it) fairly often. Then she started hearing (female) colleagues at work mentioning it. Finally, she agreed to actually watch it. Now we watch it at least once a year.

What's the actress' from Taxi's name who plays Billy Crystal's wife? When she runs into the room screaming "Liar!" I nearly fall off my chair.
I know, I know! It's Carol Kane. I can hear her now . . .

Jason that's a great story! I wonder if there is overlap in the movies people watch at least once a year. Tradition!
hey, the old souvenirs you bring to mind about Carol Kane whom i've seen in a very good but almost forgotten movie: Wedding in White:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069489/
i was very impressed with her acting; perfect for the role.
Here you go, people!
Very nice.
I enjoyed that. Thanks Mark.
The Princess Bride taught me not to go swimming for an hour after taking miracle pills.
© Axiom Message Boards