Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Transferring files to a new PC - 12/03/12 06:04 PM
The HP laptop (Windows 8) that I ordered from Costco online on Black Friday should arrive in a few days. My current PC is a 2004 Dell desktop running Win XP SP3.

As far as transferring files, preferences, contacts, etc to the new machine, is it advised to use something like this, or is the built-in Windows Easy Transfer adequate?

I also have my iPhone synced to my desktop but will want to sync it with the laptop from now on, but I have no idea what I am in for. Anybody been through that?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/03/12 07:33 PM
Buying this cable just makes it easier to get the two computers talking to each other. The process still uses the built-in Windows Easy Transfer. When I transfer files from an old computer to a new one, I like to use a physical cable rather that going wirelessly because it's faster.

Click "Which transfer method should I use?" on this page to see all the methods that work with Windows Easy Transfer.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/03/12 07:42 PM
Thanks. I'm guessing I can get an easy transfer cable for less than the Belkin price.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/03/12 08:24 PM
Buy a Monster Transfer Cable to make your data more data-eey.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/04/12 02:52 AM
Are you running a home network? I have done my transfers over my network with Easy transfer, no problems.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/04/12 03:28 AM
JP, have you tried holding your new laptop up against your old computer and tapping it?

Apparently, that's how it's done now.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/04/12 01:14 PM
Actually, you don't tap it, you swing it really hard so you can knock the bits into the new one.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Transferring files to a new PC - 12/04/12 01:40 PM
To quote Bill the Cat via Jason, "TTTHHHPPPPPTTTT!"
© Axiom Message Boards