Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r New Corvette - 12/05/12 06:47 PM
No, not for me, but you never know, I guess.

Got the latest issue of Car and Driver in the mail a couple of days ago, and it has the next generation Corvette on the cover. I thought of it just now when I saw michael.d posting in another thread. Mike, being a Corvette guy, any thoughts on what they've done at Chevrolet?

I think they ought to rename the Ten Best list the Eight Best Plus the Honda Accord and BMW 3 Series. Porsche Boxster is a virtual lock as well. Not much motion on the list in the last few years. Good stuff stays good, I guess, and the staffers' preferences/biases stay the same as well.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: New Corvette - 12/05/12 07:28 PM
Maybe they'll take a Corvette body and put it on a Volt chassis. Electric Vette. Think it'd sell?
Posted By: cb919 Re: New Corvette - 12/05/12 07:34 PM
I downloaded the free prototype for Gran Turismo 5 and have driven it around some tracks. Unfortunately it is still literally under wraps in the game! See here. Sounds like a Corvette to me though. wink
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Corvette - 12/05/12 07:59 PM
From what I understand, the pictures are renditions, and not the actual car. The general consenses from the vette guys is that they are very close to what the car will look like.

Until I see actual pics, specifications and drive one, I'm reserving my judgement. I have way too much work and money in my C6 Z06 to even consider moving to the C7. Plus, I'm quite fond of it and will never have the skills to push it as hard as it can be pushed. So, there's little reason to buy a new one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-gener...n-cover-24.html
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: New Corvette - 12/11/12 03:42 PM
I'm sticking with my old C5, I hope they drop the Camaro type tailights on the new C7, it just doesn't look right. I think Jan. 13 2013 is the actual release date.
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Corvette - 01/15/13 04:47 PM
I gotta admit, I like the new vette.... dammit. I love the new interior, something that has been needed for a long time. I need a bigger garage.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3199394-c7-videos-all-in-one-spot.html
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Corvette - 01/15/13 06:47 PM
Hey, thanks for the link. I'm checking out the Autoweek walk-around now. The redesign is really more radical and bold than I thought. That's a good thing, I think.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Corvette - 01/15/13 06:49 PM
Follow-up: Is your avatar a picture of your car? Oooh, shiny. I love a great paint/wax job like that.
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Corvette - 01/16/13 03:49 PM
Ya, it is. Crappy pic, but I'm too lazy to find another, crop it to fit this forum's funky avatar size....

I've decided that I just don't like the ass end of the new C7. It looks odd to me. I also don't like the departure from the round tail lights. It looks like a damn camaro.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Corvette - 01/16/13 05:01 PM
I'm with you. The tail end is the weak part of the design. The rest of the angular and flat surfaces work for me, for the most part. And because the rest of it is angular, I see why they flattened out the tail, removing the curves, but they just didn't do it right.

It makes me think of the Pontiac Aztek and the perils of design by committee, as well as the dubious value of focus groups.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: New Corvette - 01/16/13 10:53 PM
It looks like a Camaro and Saturn Sky mix.
Posted By: INANE Re: New Corvette - 01/17/13 04:39 AM
Corvette has always been my favorite car (even thou I have yet to own one). I think I like the new one but the front end reminds me of some of the exotic euro sports cars. To me that's not really a good thing.
Posted By: Ajax Re: New Corvette - 01/20/13 04:02 AM
Watching the Barrett-Jackson auto auction on the Speed TV channel. A 2014 Corvette just went up for auction with 100% of the winning bid going to charity (a design college in Detroit). The winner would NOT receive the car that was at the auction (demo car which has been all over the place). He would get the first production model with the serial # ending in 0001. It sold for $1,050,000. Wasn't real impressed by the looks, but that's just me.

P.S.: The first Batmobile (#1) from the 1960s TV show, was sold by Chuck Barris himself (the designer and builder) who had owned it since day 1. It sold for $4,200,000.

Never seen an auction with so many high priced cars. To this point, 9 vehicles have sold at over 7 figures. I haven't seen any car sell for less than 6 figures. and most for over $500,000. A Dusenburg just sold for $725,000.

Some very cool 50s concept cars were auctioned.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Corvette - 01/20/13 04:34 AM
Cool stuff, indeed, Jack.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Corvette - 01/20/13 03:35 PM
Any '76 Pacers? I think my sister still wants one! smile
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/20/13 05:46 PM
You're not fooling anyone Mark. You want the Pacer so you can do this.
Posted By: INANE Re: New Corvette - 01/20/13 07:05 PM
Wow was that commercial really as bad as that video quality?
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/20/13 09:48 PM
Dude. It was 1973. We were watching 420 on 13" TVs. It didn't need to be good.
Posted By: Murph Re: New Corvette - 01/21/13 12:40 PM
If it was a 76 Pacer in 1973 then it must have been a disguised DeLorean.
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/21/13 08:33 PM
'73, '76, its all a blur now...
Posted By: Adrian Re: New Corvette - 01/22/13 04:02 PM
At first glance, I like the new 'vette. It'll definitely be a great performer on the track and GM finally ceded to complaints about the interior. I do, however, think the Corvette is getting too close to "cartoonish" territory, like the Viper(Vettes and Vipers now look too much the same to me). The front is Viper, sides are GTR, and the tail is Camaro-ish...the car does look quite good though, esp in red.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Corvette - 01/25/13 05:33 AM
Jay Leno's Garage Episode about the car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrQrAn_hNA
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/25/13 10:04 AM
Drool!!

I agree with Leno. Looks like a vet redesigned by a European. I'd buy one if I actually had $$

One question. Is a sports care really allowed to go ding-ding when you leave the door open? It really detracts from the he-man image of the vet.
Posted By: INANE Re: New Corvette - 01/25/13 04:35 PM
Can't wait to see how well it performs.... and what the next Z06/ZR1 will do!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Corvette - 01/25/13 07:07 PM
A lot of the YouTube comments are about how people hate the changes... OK. So I understand some level of attachment to the easily recognized round taillights, but it is that same attitude of hating change that has made the Corvette a "boring" looking car to me. The Stingray looks so amazingly agressive and still has the Corvette cues all over too. They finally took the early 90's looking body style and made it current for that level of vehicle.
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/25/13 08:34 PM
I would say "Corvette cues all over" is understated. It is unmistakably a Corvette, but it is a dramatically different look. I always thought that is what designers aim for in a makeover. Over the years vette designers have consistently managed to do this. You can take cars from the 50's through to this model and they are unmistakably from the same family.
Posted By: INANE Re: New Corvette - 01/26/13 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
I would say "Corvette cues all over" is understated. It is unmistakably a Corvette, but it is a dramatically different look. I always thought that is what designers aim for in a makeover. Over the years vette designers have consistently managed to do this. You can take cars from the 50's through to this model and they are unmistakably from the same family.

I agree with this
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Corvette - 01/26/13 11:21 PM
Yes, exactly, but for once it actually looks significantly different after so many years of the almost same look (at least to non-Corvette experts).
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Corvette - 01/27/13 06:54 PM
What I find unique are the lines. They are not round, but straight.

I'm liking it more and more all the time. I'm looking forward to see what the Z06/ZR1 models look like. Hopefully, they keep both, Z06 N/A and ZR1 boosted. I'd also like to see the removable top on the performance models. My C6Z needs a playmate....

Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 03:18 AM
You know what I just realized? This thread, all about the new Corvette, had ZERO pictures until the post previous to this...

Lame... (until Michael's picture)

The "Squared Off" back end...

Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 04:27 AM
That last one is a great shot.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 12:02 PM
Not a fan of the retainer--I mean grill--, but the rest is pretty good.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 01:49 PM
I like it. Especially the gunmetal gray one in the first photo. (Though I admit it looks like it's dressed for a night on the town rather than a day on the track)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 02:00 PM
I still want to see the Pratt & Miller GT2 version.
Posted By: Murph Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 03:36 PM
Why settle?
For just 1.2 Mill you can have the fastest production car in the world and it's half vette.
Lotus/Vette hybrid

The video is pretty cool. The speedometer rose up so fast that I thought it was the tac until he buried it and I had to look closer.
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Why settle?
For just 1.2 Mill you can have the fastest production car in the world and it's half vette.
Lotus/Vette hybrid

The video is pretty cool. The speedometer rose up so fast that I thought it was the tac until he buried it and I had to look closer.

Now if only I could convince the MTO to build me an unobstructed strait line to work, I could get there in 3 minutes flat and look good too.
Posted By: Adrian Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 09:24 PM
Not sure what constitutes "fastest car"...0-60, Nurburgring time, 0-100, 1/4 mile, top speed.... the "fastest" to me is the one that does the majority of these well, although top speed, imo, is redundant. A Veyron is fast in a straight line but would get it's doors vacuumed off by any number of cars on the track. Anyway, someone always has a faster car than the one you(I) have...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 09:56 PM
Quickest=quickest acceleration in a straight line.

Fastest=highest top speed.

Production is also a keyword here.

Not sure what you'd call the quickest around the Nurburgring.
Posted By: Adrian Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 10:00 PM
Nurburgringiest.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Corvette - 01/28/13 10:04 PM
::Like::
Posted By: fredk Re: New Corvette - 01/29/13 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Not sure what constitutes "fastest car"...

In our community it was measured annually. First one to blow through a curve/raised crossing spreading car parts all over the local cow pasture or corn field. frown

I think the Vette does very well at Nurburg ring does it not?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Corvette - 01/29/13 03:13 AM
Ausgezeichnet!
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Corvette - 01/29/13 01:17 PM
Gesundheit.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: New Corvette - 01/29/13 02:29 PM
|sprinkling salt over left shoulder|
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Corvette - 01/30/13 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk

I think the Vette does very well at Nurburg ring does it not?

Yes, just last year the ZR1 took the crown. The Z06 is just slightly slower. They moved to Mich Pilot tires in 2012. Cool videos.

ZR1 -
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110609/CARNEWS/110609854

Z06-
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/...-run-video.html
Posted By: CatBrat Re: New Corvette - 01/31/13 05:53 PM
What's the odds of the new 2014 Vette having lots of first year new model problems?
Posted By: michael_d Re: New Corvette - 01/31/13 07:38 PM
About the same as any first model year vehicle.

I surfed Ring times, and my info was dated. That damn GTR beat the ZR1 again. Several cars have run sub 7.20 times now.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Corvette - 01/31/13 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike the Vette guy
That damn GT-R beat the ZR1 again.

Go Nissan!

Peter and I can sit a little taller in our Maximas today, I guess. Which means that our heads will probably be sticking out of the sunroofs.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Corvette - 01/31/13 08:52 PM
My Maxima bears little resemblance to a GT-R. I'll continue to slouch.
© Axiom Message Boards